11/16/2008, 04:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8804356/Alabama,-Texas-Tech-still-1-2-in-BCS

Top nine remain unchanged.

stoopified
11/16/2008, 04:55 PM
At least we didn't drop vs. bye.

MojoRisen
11/16/2008, 05:11 PM
Do people think we dropped in the coaches because we did not play?? Or are we snow balled...

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 05:12 PM
Do people think we dropped in the coaches because we did not play?? Or are we snow balled...

It is hard to impress peeps when you don't play.

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 05:31 PM
It is hard to impress peeps when you don't play.

Exactly! And next week, if we lay the wood to TT, Florida will be penalized for playing The Lighthouse for the Blind.

Soonerfan88
11/16/2008, 05:34 PM
We're separated from Texas by .11 in the computers and .052 in overall BCS. As long as we win and the voters don't really change, our computer score should take us to the Big XII CCG.

OU-HSV
11/16/2008, 05:48 PM
TCU moved up and Cinci moved up as well

Stitch Face
11/16/2008, 05:50 PM
Or are we snow balled...

This is a family board. Post reported.

soonerbrat
11/16/2008, 06:02 PM
This is a family board. Post reported.

no joking allowed in the football forum.
post reported.

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 06:03 PM
no joking allowed in the football forum.
post reported.

No post reporting allowed in the football forum.
post reported.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 06:04 PM
It's going to all work out, if we win out. WE need the pokes to get in the top 10 b4 we play them.

the_ouskull
11/16/2008, 06:05 PM
You're all a bunch of dild*s. Report that. :D

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 06:05 PM
ahhh you AGAIN!!!!

OU-HSV
11/16/2008, 06:11 PM
Thread reported:D

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 06:17 PM
Thread reported:D

Oh snap! You've trumped us all. :P

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 06:17 PM
Horns could have moved up because they beat KU worse than we did. KU was a weird game for us; we were obviously down after losing the RR the week before and trying the 1 game Nic at MLB experiment. The offense "only" produced 45pts, but that really is low given the 675yds gained. I was just glad we won that one.

soonerbrat
11/16/2008, 06:21 PM
You're all a bunch of dild*s. Report that. :D

the_ouskull

post reported.

SleestakSooner
11/16/2008, 06:30 PM
SoonerFans reported.

For hating UTerus and da mediaz! ;)

tommieharris91
11/16/2008, 07:13 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8805260_37_1.pdf

Cam
11/16/2008, 07:20 PM
Is it just me, or is there a much larger discrepancy between the truly best 10 teams in the country and everybody else than most years? I'm not counting Boise and Utah in the best 10 by the way.

I can't believe LSU moved up. What a freaking joke.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 07:34 PM
sec man sec

colinreturn
11/16/2008, 07:45 PM
Is it just me, or is there a much larger discrepancy between the truly best 10 teams in the country and everybody else than most years? I'm not counting Boise and Utah in the best 10 by the way.

More like top 5 and the rest of the country

Stitch Face
11/16/2008, 08:07 PM

They showed the Heart of a Champion with that comeback win.

OU-HSV
11/16/2008, 08:09 PM
They showed the Heart of a Champion with that comeback win.

When we all know it was the fart of a former champion

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 08:41 PM
Baton Rouge Police are investigating an egg-throwin' incident on Les Miles' property. It seems that his neighbor's house to the left and right were hit several times with eggs along with the house directly behind Miles. There were also several broken eggs out front next to an empty egg carton. The police assumed this was where the eggs were thrown from. They're looking at Jarrett Lee as their main suspect.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 08:42 PM
hahahahaha, did you think of that?

mojohornfan
11/16/2008, 09:22 PM
If you guys win out and we beat aggy, I believe we go to the CCG. The computers love us and as far the human polls go, it will be hard for them to put you guys ahead of us with your loss coming on a neutral field.

Just sayin.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 10:09 PM
mojo needs to wash his sheets.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 10:16 PM
Des Howard thinks we will get in. Palmer does not.

(if we win out)

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 10:17 PM
If you guys win out and we beat aggy, I believe we go to the CCG. The computers love us and as far the human polls go, it will be hard for them to put you guys ahead of us with your loss coming on a neutral field.

Just sayin.

well I don't think you know how the BCS system works.

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 10:20 PM

Just sayin.

Dude, you've shot yer wad with the 'puters...

Just sayin.

mojohornfan
11/16/2008, 10:20 PM
Obviously more than you.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 10:25 PM
Guess we will wait and see.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 10:27 PM
James and Flutie just said Oklahoma will be in, if they win out... That's how the system works.

misplacedsooner
11/16/2008, 10:29 PM
i think not, seems you are posting wishful thinking..thats all that texass has is a very slim hope thats fading fast. sucks to be a whorn dont it?

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 10:34 PM
Don't mind me....I'm just tryin' to get my 100th post in.....:D

tommieharris91
11/16/2008, 10:50 PM

I think he does.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 11:39 PM
how so

bcgvh
11/17/2008, 12:07 AM
If OU makes up all or almost all of the ground to Texas in the BCS, then I'm not worried, because if we go on to beat OSU, we are in...however, if we beat Tech, and are still pretty far behind, then we're screwed. I think we'll know how it will play out in 1 week.

tommieharris91
11/17/2008, 12:10 AM
how so

Because I'm not sure you know how the BCS system works.

It's actually pretty simple right now. Take the number from the computers (not ranking), the number from the Harris poll, and the number from the Coaches poll, and average them.

Anyway, I think we need to beat Tceh convincingly and then start campaigning for votes. It's gonna be close between OU and Texas if we win out.

tigepilot
11/17/2008, 12:26 AM
As long as it's still close with the voters, the computers will have OU ahead of Texas. Harris, go back and look at that link you posted that showed where OU is in the computers. There are a few where OU is several places behind Texas where OU has a chance of moving past those teams and helping their overall score without even passing Texas in that individual computer poll. That's a big potential for major movment in the numbers. OU is close to Texas right now as it is. OU may be two spots back but it's mathmatically very close. As long as more human voters don't keep switching in Texas' favor, OU will be in if it wins out.

By the way, will people quit complaining about Florida... they do not matter. All OU needs to do is be ahead of Texas.

JLEW1818
11/17/2008, 12:36 AM
Because I'm not sure you know how the BCS system works.

It's actually pretty simple right now. Take the number from the computers (not ranking), the number from the Harris poll, and the number from the Coaches poll, and average them.

Anyway, I think we need to beat Tceh convincingly and then start campaigning for votes. It's gonna be close between OU and Texas if we win out.

ya and... we lost first, advantage us. We win against 2 ranked teams last, advantage us. When you beat a high opponent you tend to jump in the BCS. I'll make a wager with you that if we win out we will be in the CCG. If you want to. Regardless if we win each game by a point.

misplacedsooner
11/17/2008, 12:37 AM
sorry but i hate the sec all togather

JLEW1818
11/17/2008, 12:39 AM
The system works on "what have you done lately?"

tommieharris91
11/17/2008, 12:44 AM
As long as it's still close with the voters, the computers will have OU ahead of Texas. Harris, go back and look at that link you posted that showed where OU is in the computers. There are a few where OU is several places behind Texas where OU has a chance of moving past those teams and helping their overall score without even passing Texas in that individual computer poll. That's a big potential for major movment in the numbers. OU is close to Texas right now as it is. OU may be two spots back but it's mathmatically very close. As long as more human voters don't keep switching in Texas' favor, OU will be in if it wins out.

I've taken a look at Sagarin's and Colley's rankings. If OU wins out I think Sagarin will give OU a hefty boost up his rankings. Texas has a giant lead in Colley's rankings, so much that OU might not be able to catch the whorns in that computer. Anyway, if we do pass Texas in the computers, I think it won't be by very much. There's also a chance that we don't pass Texas Tech in the computers as well. (We will in the human polls.) So basically, to be safe, we need votes from the pollsters. Tell them to rank us #1 and we'll have our chance to defend that ranking against whoever comes out of the SEC.

By the way, will people quit complaining about Florida... they do not matter. All OU needs to do is be ahead of Texas.
Actually, it would be better if either Florida or Alabama were behind OU on a lot of ballots. They make our % that is used in the BCS average a little better.

tommieharris91
11/17/2008, 12:59 AM
ya and... we lost first, advantage us. We win against 2 ranked teams last, advantage us. When you beat a high opponent you tend to jump in the BCS. I'll make a wager with you that if we win out we will be in the CCG. If you want to. Regardless if we win each game by a point.

Sorry, I won't take that wager because I'm not confident that Texas will stay ahead of OU if we win out. I'm just saying that there's a chance that we don't pass Texas, and we're gonna need every vote we can get.

If some people use the (faulty) logic of:

Texas Tech played the easiest schedule, so they're 3rd.
texas beat OU, so texas is #1 and OU is #2

Then it won't matter that we lost the earliest.

tigepilot
11/17/2008, 01:01 AM
I'll agree that picking up some human votes will make it easier. Don't think there's a chance we'll still be behind Tech if OU wins out. And I think that since the computers average out actual rankings and not the individual computer points that any boost above Texas will be fairly large. By the same token I do see your point about Florida but I see it as, when all is said and done, either Florida will be ahead of Texas and OU or behind Texas and OU for the most part which makes it a mute point. You could argue that Florida moving from behind Texas to in front of Texas helps OU by moving Texas down in some of the elements. In the end, I don't think Forida matters.

OU has the potential to gain a lot in the next two weeks. Texas can only watch. What I find interesting is that Texas more or less is hoping for the same scenorio we are. They need OU to win out and force a three way tie and they want to be higher in the BCS. The only other scenerio that works for them is Tech losing to OU AND Baylor.

tigepilot
11/17/2008, 01:05 AM
Sorry, I won't take that wager because I'm not confident that Texas will stay ahead of OU if we win out. I'm just saying that there's a chance that we don't pass Texas, and we're gonna need every vote we can get.

This is where OU will have problems. Voters discounting Tech for either easier schedule or lack of history or whatever and just looking at OU and Texas. Or they can say that Texas' and Tech's loses were on the road while OU's was on a nuetral field. If voters continue to lean toward Texas then yes, OU will not make it. If voters keep OU as close to Texas as they are now, then I think the computers will make up the difference.

misplacedsooner
11/17/2008, 01:09 AM
if thats the case then florida lost to a weak team at home.

tigepilot
11/17/2008, 07:26 AM
if thats the case then florida lost to a weak team at home.

It matters not. Only Texas matters to OU's chance of getting in the BCS (assuming OU wins out).

mojohornfan
11/17/2008, 08:46 AM

Very true.

Fact is, if OU wins out, I believe both teams have a pretty equal chance to get in. It will be a very close margin that will hinge on the human voters. It's hard to predict what they will do. Now, if you guys throttle Tceh by 3 or 4 Td's, then that would hurt us. If it's a close game that goes down to the wire, then that could help us...IMO.

Of course, we need to beat aggy by 50.

JLEW1818
11/17/2008, 12:22 PM
It's just dumb how its left up to peoples opinions. Regardless of who gets its in.

A Horn
11/17/2008, 02:07 PM
While I would certainly like to avoid this situation altogether, we are in it, and damn if it isn't very, very exciting. Heartbreak for the team left out, no doubt about that, but both OU and Texas seem deserving this year, and I doubt we will know what happens until that final BCS poll is released.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2008, 02:28 PM
There is no fair way to decide a 3-way tie if it involves people. The only really fair way is to use a totally random selection, which wouldn't be very satisfying. Roll a dice with each team assigned 2 of the 6 numbers for example.

Given there is no fair way to do this, does it bother anyone that the BCS may be the tie breaker? It effectively always people outside the conference to determine the conference champion. I guess when it gets that far down on the tie breaker rule, nothing will feel good.

Of course TT, OSU, Baylor or aTm may make this all moot.

ashley
11/17/2008, 04:25 PM
I am afraid they will pick texas because they are texas.

Cam
11/17/2008, 09:12 PM
Playing Chattanooga might just do us in when it comes to the computers. Thank Clemson for it if we get left out.

Curly Bill
11/17/2008, 09:15 PM
Playing Chattanooga might just do us in when it comes to the computers. Thank Clemson for it if we get left out.

We'll get our revenge if they hire Venables. ;) :D

Johnny Utah
11/17/2008, 09:33 PM
sorry but i hate the sec all togather

Tru dat! Florida does look good, but let's just hope that their "also ran" teams that end up getting into bowl games all get their a***s beat!

Since71ASooner4Life
11/17/2008, 09:37 PM
We'll get our revenge if they hire Venables. ;) :D

Why is it that Bob Stoops and other professionals cant see the obvious flaws in Brent Venables that you so plainly see?

Curly Bill
11/17/2008, 09:42 PM
Why is it that Bob Stoops cant see the obvious flaws in Brent Venables that you so plainly see?

FIXED

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 12:13 PM
texas does not play this week, fyi, i think that helps. What happened to us last week when we did not play?

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2008, 01:43 PM
texas does not play this week, fyi, i think that helps. What happened to us last week when we did not play?

No new "fire BV" threads.

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 02:06 PM
lol we dropped

PhiDeltBeers
11/18/2008, 02:33 PM
I think if we beat Tech, Okie Lite, and the CCG....we'll definitely pass Texas.

:pop:

A Horn
11/18/2008, 02:57 PM
I think if we beat Tech, Okie Lite, and the CCG....we'll definitely pass Texas.

:pop:

Gotta pass us before that CCG, though.

I lvoe how much speculation there is on this whole thing, especially since not one single person has a clue about what is going to happen with all these numbers. Human pollsters will be huge, you guys need a big(score) win against Tech IMO

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 02:58 PM
And you need to root for us to win out for you to even have a prayer...how sad.

A Horn
11/18/2008, 03:02 PM
And you need to root for us to win out for you to even have a prayer...how sad.

Who I root for will have no effect on the game.

I would pick yall to win, but I can't root for either of yall, so I'm going to a concert, and I'll have the final score texted to me. :)

Then I'll deal with whatever happens.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2008, 03:18 PM
I lvoe how much speculation there is on this whole thing, especially since not one single person has a clue about what is going to happen with all these numbers.

They don't ? :eek: Crap, now you tell me. I bet everything I own on the BCS outcome based on what I read here. Oh well, can't be worse than the stock market :rolleyes:

PhiDeltBeers
11/18/2008, 03:20 PM
Gotta pass us before that CCG, though.

I lvoe how much speculation there is on this whole thing, especially since not one single person has a clue about what is going to happen with all these numbers. Human pollsters will be huge, you guys need a big(score) win against Tech IMO

Pretty sure the humor wasn't caught.

ProdigyDub
11/18/2008, 05:41 PM

Yes, but Texas also gained a lot of ground on OU the week before, when OU did play (and absolutely throttled A&M). Meanwhile, Texas beat Baylor, but not all that impressively. The Harris polls voters actually swapped OU and Texas that week, putting Texas back on top, despite the fact that OU dropped 66 on A&M.

Point being: Texas's gains the past couple weeks have a lot more to do with the voters realizing that Texas should be ahead of OU because of the head-to-head win (combined with Texas distancing itself from the Tech loss) than it does with the fact that OU didn't play.

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 06:19 PM
Get to play number 2 and 12, back to back weeks. I like our position, if we win.

MojoRisen
11/18/2008, 06:24 PM
All we need is the coaches and the computers... Computers will take care of themselves and if we didn't pass Texas in the computers then so be it. I am sure that we will pass Texas & Florida in the computers prior to the CCG's. If Florida beat Bama they would pass us back again.

The Coaches are going to have the say... Screw Harris

We were ranked ahead of Texas for 3 weeks prior to the bye week. If we beat Texas Tech during Texas bye week and we do not pass Texas in the coaches poll- it will be over and it would be a travesty as well...

I am pretty sure the Coaches will do the right thing with a victory over the #2while the other team is on a bye week.

They passed us up- with a bye and a Texas victory over an unranked Kansas team.

I am convinced we will pass Texas - if not we need more and more contraversy to keep piling on the BCS- since all they been saying for the last couple of years is that we got it RIGHT bull shiate....

That is all

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 06:30 PM
Bobby Bowden " its good to lose early because people forget about it"

Johnny Utah
11/18/2008, 07:00 PM
The system works on "what have you done lately?"

You're right about that ... if you're gonna lose do it early and definitely not in your bowl game(s).

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 04:36 PM
If yall get bored go to this http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings?week=5

Just do the math for the points, how tech skyrocketed when they beat texas. kinda cool and it seems we are going to gain some hell of points if we beat tech. Do the math from week to week.

TXHornsFan
11/20/2008, 03:22 PM
Excuse the intrusion by a Horns fan, but I promise to be nice - maybe even informative. I think most people are exaggerating the gain OU will get in the computers by beating Tech and OSU. You can't just look at the BCS computer rankings - you have to look behind that to the actual computer numbers.

UT is ahead of OU in all 6 BCS computer rankings, and has a substantial lead in most of them. It's not so much the number of teams separating them as it is the difference in the numerical rating between them. In some cases, the point gap between UT and OU is as large as the point gap between OU and teams 8 or 10 spots below them. That gap will shrink if OU wins out, but it won't go away entirely. The difference is primarily the overall strength of schedule. UT has a higher s.o.s. on all of the computer sites that show that component. After all games have been played, the strength of the non-common opponents will still tilt slightly in UT's favor.

Given the current disparity in the computer numbers, and the s.o.s. factor in UT's favor, it is unlikely that OU will jump over UT in the BCS computer component even if they win out. To show I'm not making this up, here are a couple of specifics. First, the Masssey site shows a s.o.s. rating both for games played so far and the full schedule. The current rating is 3.98 for UT (1st) and 3.56 for OU (26th). The full rating (which includes all remaining games) is 3.92 for UT (3rd) and 3.84 for OU (5th).

Second, the Colley site has an interactive feature that allows you to add hypothetical results. In the current Colley ranking, UT is 1 (with a rating of 0.95401) and OU is 7 (0.852860). If you plug in OU wins over Tech and OSU, and a UT win over A&M, the hypothetical rankings change to UT 1 (0.95090) and OU 3 (0.92047).

Realistically, I think OU has a chance of passing UT in only one or two of the computers. In the BCS system, they assess points for each position in a computer ranking - 25 for 1st, 24 for 2nd, and so on. They then throw out the highest and lowest for each team, and take the average of the remaining four, based on a "perfect" score of 100 (4 polls multiplied by 25 pts. for each). For example, if a team is ranked 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, and 5 - the 1 and 5 are thrown out. The others are added together to get 90 pts., which is then averaged to .900. That becomes one-third of the BCS total, with Harris and Coaches' polls being the other two-thirds.

Currently, UT has a .110 lead in the computer average - .930 to .820. At the end, I think UT will have a .040 to.050 edge over OU in the computer total, which they would have to make up in the voter polls. Right now, UT has a slight advantage in the Coaches' poll (17 pts.) and a larger lead in Harris (101 pts.). It will be interesting to see how those 2 polls swing this weekend, assuming OU beats Tech. If OU does not make up the ground in the polls after beating Tech, it likely won't happen at all.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2008, 04:56 PM
Excuse the intrusion by a Horns fan, but I promise to be nice - maybe even informative....

(followed by lots of data to support a desired outcome)

There have been a zillion threads here and no doubt on hornfans about what the BCS might do. The fact is the human voters claim 2/3 of the weight and they are going to do what they are going to do. The coaches especially can turn on a dime in the last poll when they tend to put more thought (and political motive) into the binding vote. Sit back and have a beer and watch the games and don't worry about it. Tech may just foil this 3-way-tie thing and you will have wasted all those key strokes. On second thought, keep on worrying about it, I'm sure that will help ;)

TXHornsFan
11/20/2008, 05:43 PM
(followed by lots of data to support a desired outcome)

There have been a zillion threads here and no doubt on hornfans about what the BCS might do. The fact is the human voters claim 2/3 of the weight and they are going to do what they are going to do. The coaches especially can turn on a dime in the last poll when they tend to put more thought (and political motive) into the binding vote. Sit back and have a beer and watch the games and don't worry about it. Tech may just foil this 3-way-tie thing and you will have wasted all those key strokes. On second thought, keep on worrying about it, I'm sure that will help ;)

You are absolutely right about the human voters. But my point was specifically addressing the computers - which most people are assuming will swing heavily in OU's favor. I disagree with that assumption, based not on a "desired outcome" but on taking a very close look at the data, so it will fall to the people polls. Notice that I make no prediction at all about what will happen there, other than to say it will be interesting to see.

You are also right that Tech - or OSU for that matter - may spoil the whole discussion. Beating them both in consecutive weeks is not an easy task. But breaking a 2-way tie is simple, and not all that interesting to talk about - all the fun is on playing "what if".

I will take you advice, and have a beer and watch the game.

Crimson_Balls
11/20/2008, 05:56 PM
I think "IF" TTech loses (which I'm not convinced they will) then UT's computer rankings will take a hit. The only loss they have now is against a 98% computer ranked team. It will also affect OU because the only loss we have is against Texass. However, If we BEAT a 98% team then it will help our cause even more than it would hurt us.

That being said, Tech has the largest offensive line (average weight and height) of any NFL or College football team. We have to put pressure on the QB and force turnovers.

Even if Oklahoma beats Tech, they still have to get on a bus to Stoolwater after Thanksgiving week. Come back down to earth after a HUGE gameday victory and beat the best OSU team that I've evr seen. Not to mention the new stadium and those terrible fans. So get ready SOONERFANS for the toughest stretch in 2008's brutal Big XII schedule.

JLEW1818
11/20/2008, 06:42 PM
Ya this might be techs and Oklahoma states best team ever. But are team this year is better then both of theirs. You act like we don't have a very good chance to beat tech? Why is that, is tech's might defense (who is ranked behind ours) going to shut us out? Good for tech's offensive line that they are so big, so is ours. We will have more lineman drafted this year then they will. I'll take our Oline and us playing at home.

And you act like we would be to excited to play Oklahoma State if we won?? I'd say there would be more on the line for us then poke state, therefore we would want it more.