PDA

View Full Version : what gives??

misplacedsooner
11/16/2008, 08:22 AM
really, florida has powerhouse citadel this week. the sec is constantly moaning about how they get right down to business in their conference while we are playing the tcus and cincinnatis of the world and rolling them. get real sec...the citadel...geez!!! oh , how the espn gang is gonna love this in talking up how great the gators are in killing the citadel. the citadel...i keep looking at that, where in the hell is the citadel and do they really have a football team?

OU-HSV
11/16/2008, 08:33 AM
Ha, no kidding. Espn will have to be focused on our matchup for sure.

Once again I saw stupidity from the guys on the Gameday show yesterday. Desmond Howard said that if we beat Tech in Norman, but it's not an impressive win, he said he doesn't see how we would deserve to leap over Tech in the polls:confused: How is he going to call any win over Tech right now an unimpressive win, what I jackass.
Chris Fowler was questioning him on that comment at least though.

My thoughts are, look how texass jumped when they beat us...look how Florida jumped when they beat (I think it was) LSU. I don't understand how anyone could think that when you're ranked #5 in the nation and you beat a #2 (or #1) team in the nation, that you shouldn't jump over them in the polls. That's just ridiculous.
Maybe Desmond is just mad cause Sam Bradford questioned his golf skills :D

StoopTroup
11/16/2008, 09:30 AM
Hell...look how Florida jumped when they beat LSU, Kentucky. I'll give you that LSU was then #4 in the Country...but as they have fallen away from the top Florida continues to gain BCS momentum. When they played Georgia, Georgia was #6. Georgia scraped out a win against unranked Auburn yesterday...quite the feat.:rolleyes:

Alabama has indeed continued to win while at the Top Spot. Holding that spot is tough. We know. Our Team gets hunted every week in the Big XII South. Three of the six teams in our Conference were undefeated going into last week of October. As those teams meet...they have knocked each other off save for this weeks matchup (Sooners v Tech). I know there supposedly there isn't any reason to worry about what happens in the SEC as they will only have one Team play for the MNC. I keep hearing that...what I think has happened is that most folks and voters think that Florida is the better Team in the SEC and that the SEC Championship will crown them SEC Champions. Yeah they love Bama sitting pretty up at the Top but they don't really think Bama will beat Florida. Thus...it's a Gator Lovefest so that the Big XII wouldn't replay a Big XII Conference Game matchup in the MNC. Also...they are trying to make sure that the Big XII South Co-Champion that doesn't play in the Big XII Championship Game...doesn't play for the MNC.

Confusing for folks nation wide? You bet it is.

The Big XII South is a rock solid bunch with four really great Teams and Baylor yesterday showed that they are for real also. TAMU really faced some tough Teams this year. They have some good players...they just didn't see how much better the others were and got manhandled in the South. Tough year for the Aggies.

Back to Florida...yeah they deserve to be ranked at the Top but when you look at Bama getting respect for winning...and The Sooners have done the same thing since early October...you matchup what the difference is between OU and Florida? All I see is that the Sooners have lost one game to a very good Texas Team who have lost to a very good Tech Team.

Should OU knock off this Raider run for the MNC...I go with the old saying "It's better to lose early than late. Texas lost late. Sorry whorns...we should be Big XII Champs and we should play the North Champion. Those are quality wins and deserve a shot at the MNC IMO. Giving that scenario and OU wins out...the only reason they'd get hosed out of a shot to the MNC is our past performance in Bowl Games. Should that be a factor? Absolutely not. Every Team graduates players as well as loses great ones early to the NFL in some cases. You can rag on a Team for past Bowl performance...but you can't hold it against them. Doing so is a crime and an injustice to the players that stayed as well as the new players that stepped up.

Should this scenario play out and OU gets hosed out of the Big XII Championship and the MNC. I'll probably start watching the NFL more. If I wanted to see a fixed scenario...I'd watch Pro Wrestling. (Sorry Rastlin' Fans...you know it's true).

I'd like to think that a Playoff System might be better...but I'm not sold that that would stop what I think is happening to Florida in the SEC this year.

Bottomline for voters...there just isn't enough room for 3 Big XII Teams at the Top. We must get Florida back up there.

What a farce.

StoopTroup
11/16/2008, 09:44 AM
ESPN Experts (?) are having the Florida scenario lovefest right now.

None of them think Bama can knockoff Florida.

I don't think it will happen either...but they discount Florida's loss to Mississippi in the Swamp like it never happened. They did however say that Tech's win against Texas in Lubbock...Lubbock and the crowd was the difference. The difference? Tech had them down the entire 1st half.

I'm completely blown away. They love Florida more than Texas, T-Tech and OU. The only losses Texas and OU have are against a very solid Big XII South Team. Not a shocker on their Home Field.

Florida Lovefest.

Proof is laying right in front of you folks.

Hell Bama gets a "You can't count them out" nod. They ought to be pissed. I hope that gives them enough fuel to put the Florida fire out. Good Luck Bama.

birddog
11/16/2008, 09:58 AM
i love how the media thinks florida should jump everyone right now because of the way they are playing late in the year, eventhough they have the worst loss of the group. in reality, their rise to the top has been overblown because the teams they beat are alot worse than we realized. but ou can't jump anyone in front of them even if they are playing just as well as florida ,this late in the year? they've some serious double standards working for them, no doubt, but they'll take a major hit if we blow out tech while they play the citadel.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 10:01 AM
The media just rides the hot team - remember that was OU for 2 weeks until the UT game. When UT beat OU/Mizzou/OSU, they could do no wrong - until they did wrong at TT. This is America and spoils go the victor. OU has only played 1 elite team and they lost, so what do you expect? Beat TT and OSU and there will be plenty of media guys clamoring for us to get into the CCG. As far as Florida/Bama goes - it's just like the highlander - there can be only one. :)

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2008, 10:09 AM
really, florida has powerhouse citadel this week. the sec is constantly moaning about how they get right down to business in their conference while we are playing the tcus and cincinnatis of the world and rolling them. get real sec...the citadel...geez!!! oh , how the espn gang is gonna love this in talking up how great the gators are in killing the citadel. the citadel...i keep looking at that, where in the hell is the citadel and do they really have a football team?

Homey?

In 3, 2, 1...

StoopTroup
11/16/2008, 10:10 AM
I hope your right Boulder.

This year I just have a feeling that we're getting punked for that texas loss and not only that...that we can't win the big game.

Unless we slaughter Tech at home...I'm just not sold that they will turn their head our way.

Should we then go into stoolwater and slaughter them...I think they'll have little choice but to start talking about us. A squeaker win in Norman and stoolwater and we're just that same old strong Bob Stoops really good football team...but nothing special.

I do not want to play Utah.

I want to see a trip to Miami.

stoopified
11/16/2008, 11:02 AM
I'm holding out hope that Bobby Blowden and Free Shoe can take out UF.Then UF can take out Bama.OU takes out TT and oSu and you have THE PERFECT FOOTBALL STORM.

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 11:45 AM
With a likely #1 vs # 4 (or whatever) matchup in the SEC Title game, what are the chances that one of these teams won't play for the BS Title in Miami? I think it's a much better chance that there won't be a Big XII team playing in that game. People tend to forget about Mizery. IMO, they will be a formidable opponent for whoever wins (or politics) their way through the South. If the South does come down to the BS poll and Mizery beats that team in KC, I doubt a Big XII co-champ would play in Miami. If OU beats TTU and wins on the road vs OSU, I think they will win out over UT but I guess I'm a little biased.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 02:40 PM
I'm holding out hope that Bobby Blowden and Free Shoe can take out UF.Then UF can take out Bama.OU takes out TT and oSu and you have THE PERFECT FOOTBALL STORM.

To me, that's the perfect bad storm. It would lock out the SEC and insert USC. I want 'SC playing in some boring bowl where no-one even cares about the outcome.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 02:53 PM
what is really going to be interesting, is if we beat tech, will tech be ranked behind sc? If that happens i'm dieing to hear espn plead their case.

Widescreen
11/16/2008, 02:57 PM
The Big XII South is a rock solid bunch with four really great Teams and Baylor yesterday showed that they are for real also. TAMU really faced some tough Teams this year. They have some good players...they just didn't see how much better the others were and got manhandled in the South. Tough year for the Aggies.

I disagree wholeheartedly with your Baylor assessment. They are improved and that's it. I think it just shows how incredibly pathetic aTm is. You're not "for real" when you lose by 28, 32, 28, 24, and they're going to get obliterated by TTU.

aTm lost at home to Arkie State. They are HORRIBLE. And even they know it.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 03:01 PM
I think the big 12 south is the best division in football top to bottom, any way somebody wants to look at it.

Big 12 south

Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
TAMU

The might SEC east

Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

SEC east has 1 above average football team.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 06:44 PM
what is really going to be interesting, is if we beat tech, will tech be ranked behind sc? If that happens i'm dieing to hear espn plead their case.

I think that would happen. Maybe not next week, but at seasons end after USC has been crowned Pac10 champ (or co-champ at worst). Also, USC will have been on national TV most likely shutting out a "bowl eligible" ND team. If Boston College can shutout ND, 'SC could probably do it 5 times in a row. UCLA will have little chance to score as well. The USC lovers will come out of the woodwork if an SEC or big12 team falters.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 06:46 PM
So why do the experts love USC so much? Do they get paid more money just to say USC is the best? seriously?

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 06:56 PM
Reasons I can think of is that they are a huge media market (compare greater LA to Lubbock) and represent the entire Pac10/West coast. The other reason I can think of is similar to what gets posted here - there are huge fans for dominant defenses. That's more manly and proves you have more hair on your chest as opposed to those weenie pin-ball score offenses. USC shuts team out and that's hard to do against anyone.

Johnny Utah
11/16/2008, 08:49 PM
Reasons I can think of is that they are a huge media market (compare greater LA to Lubbock) and represent the entire Pac10/West coast. The other reason I can think of is similar to what gets posted here - there are huge fans for dominant defenses. That's more manly and proves you have more hair on your chest as opposed to those weenie pin-ball score offenses. USC shuts team out and that's hard to do against anyone.

You're right on target but USC didn't exactly totally shut out Stanford (367 total yards) until the 4th quarter. However, I agree that there are huge fans for dominant defenses (self included.)

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 10:33 PM
You're right on target but USC didn't exactly totally shut out Stanford (367 total yards) until the 4th quarter. However, I agree that there are huge fans for dominant defenses (self included.)

I love a great D too, but I try not to dwell on what my team doesn't have. But depending on your D to win a game has its drawbacks just like depending on the O. USC had 1 bad half of football on D against the Beavers and now they are on the outside praying for help. Just like we had 1 bad half on offense in Dallas and we may need help. USC came darn close to at least OT in Tucson when they fumbled on their own 10 holding a 17-10 lead, but lucked out with there own guy scooping it up. I'm sure there is as much angst out in LA about having an offense they can't rely on as we have about our D.

Johnny Utah
11/17/2008, 09:27 PM
I love a great D too, but I try not to dwell on what my team doesn't have.

Your a better man than I am for that. :) Unfortunately I dwell on the situation that OU should have a dominant defense year in and out because 1) it has a defensive guru for a head coach and 2) it's OU.

Sabanball
11/17/2008, 11:02 PM
Like I 've said over here countless times--worry about what you can control and not what you don't control. Win out and everything, including the polls, will take care of themselves.

Curly Bill
11/17/2008, 11:03 PM
Like I 've said over here countless times--worry about what you can control and not what you don't control. Win out and everything, including the polls, will take care of themselves.

...but then what would our nOObs have to post about?

Sabanball
11/17/2008, 11:06 PM

probably nothing, but I know you would like that.:D

Johnny Utah
11/18/2008, 06:58 PM

I "b****ed" about the defense CB ... I figured you'd be pleased! ;)

TUSooner
11/18/2008, 06:59 PM
Just watch what you say about Homey's alma mater!

oupride
11/18/2008, 08:40 PM
http://citadel.edu/

Johnny Utah
11/18/2008, 08:44 PM
http://citadel.edu/

Let me guess without even looking ... the game is is The Swamp! :rolleyes: Do they ever play any away games?

misplacedsooner
11/19/2008, 12:19 AM
that would almost be funny to see fla play at the citadel....what do they seat about 2000 or so?

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2008, 12:43 AM
Let's just hope it's one of those Appalacian State kinda days...

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2008, 12:46 AM
Your a better man than I am for that. Unfortunately I dwell on the situation that OU should have a dominant defense year in and out because 1) it has a defensive guru for a head coach and 2) it's OU.

I bumped into an OU alum at work last week and we got on OU due to my cap and he commented on what a great year we're having and I said "imagine if we had a more Sooner kinda defense" and he looked at me like I had 2 heads and a foot growing out of my chest.

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2008, 12:51 AM
I bumped into an OU alum at work last week and we got on OU due to my cap and he commented on what a great year we're having and I said "imagine if we had a more Sooner kinda defense" and he looked at me like I had 2 heads and a foot growing out of my chest.

Check the mirror, just in case :D

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2008, 01:03 AM
Your a better man than I am for that. :) Unfortunately I dwell on the situation that OU should have a dominant defense year in and out because 1) it has a defensive guru for a head coach and 2) it's OU.

I only mean I don't dwell on it this season. The product on the field goes back several years of recruiting and at least back to spring ball/fall camp. Everything I read since last year predicted we were thin at LB and lacked experience in the back 7. Well surprise, the experts were on to something. I don't expect a magical transformation mid-season, just hard work and tweaking within the practiced system. I've seen gradual improvement since the big dip after RR went down, but the big tests begin this week.

Big changes can be made off-season and it will be interesting to watch. I can't imagine Stoops and co. are satisfied.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2008, 02:19 AM
You know, you are right. But at the same time it is understandable that so many expect so much. There aren't any guys on our D that couldn't manage to get on the powerhouse Iowa State team so they settled on us. They are all talented and should be able to step up on their own and if not be coached up.

It's a little of each on this argument and I think perhaps this weekend we'll come closer together on the disagreement.

...no matter how it pans out.