PDA

View Full Version : Bartering cigarettes for a ride

Chuck Bao
11/15/2008, 07:38 PM
I got into an embarrassing situation yesterday.

I was running late for a weekend seminar that I’ve got to attend or lose my brokerage license and my company already paid $700 for me to attend. Hobbling around in my white croc boat shoes and not really wanting to walk to the skytrain and there was a taxi right in front of my condo.

I had no money, but there are like a million ATM machines everywhere.

I explained the situation to the taxi driver and he agreed.

We first stopped at a gas station nearby my condo and the ATM there was offline.

The next gas station (much further and a ticking taxi meter much later) and this bank ATM was online, but the ATM wasn’t accepting my password. If I try three times and fail, the machine will swallow my card and I don’t want that, especially way out there.

What to do? I need to get to the seminar and by then I was already 30 minutes late.

So, I go back to the taxi driver and ask him if he drinks whisky and he says “yes” but not right now while he’s driving. I’m ignoring the fact that he thinks I want to do whisky shots with him at 8:30am.

I go into the 7-Eleven at the gas station and to buy Johnnie Walker whisky with my credit card. But, they are not selling whisky because of the funeral services this weekend for HRH Princess Galyani.

Now, I’m in a big fix.

Oh, I know cigarettes are a currency in prison. I buy two cartons with my credit card.

I think I got it whipped. The two cartons are worth 1,200 baht and the taxi ride shouldn’t be more than 150 baht.

But, the taxi driver isn’t too enthused. Marlboro is not his brand. I should have asked him.

Since his house is right across the street from my condo, we work out an arrangement where I pay later. He still takes the cigarettes. I suck at bartering.

Have you ever tried to barter with cigarettes?

Oh, I made it to the seminar just fine and wasn’t late. I’ve got to go again today and I’m either driving my bike or going by skytrain and I may take a carton of cigarettes with me just in case.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2008, 07:55 PM
I'm trying to decide who would have the most interesting reality show, Chuck, SicEm or Dean.

Sooner5030
11/15/2008, 08:01 PM
At least your taxi driver didn't get into a fight with another taxi driver. I was so scared....I thought if I left the car I'd get some kinda ticket/fine or else thrown in jail. But I didn't feel comfortable in the busiest street in Seoul watching my taxi driver fight in the street.

salth2o
11/15/2008, 08:11 PM
Oh, I know cigarettes are a currency in prison. I buy two cartons with my credit card.

I think I got it whipped. The two cartons are worth 1,200 baht and the taxi ride shouldn’t be more than 150 baht.

But, the taxi driver isn’t too enthused. Marlboro is not his brand. I should have asked him.

You should have bought menthol's!

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2008, 08:21 PM
I'm trying to decide who would have the most interesting reality show, Chuck, SicEm or Dean.

Combine them all. Make them live in a house together for 3 months.

royalfan5
11/15/2008, 08:33 PM

I think it would end up Chuck and Dean in a house for 2 months, 3 weeks, and 5 days, cause I don't see Sic'em making it past the opening weekend.

StoopTroup
11/15/2008, 09:17 PM
Dude...I can barter anything.

Cigarettes and a smoker should be a done deal.

Remember...everyone has their price and everyone has there own brand.

Better luck next time Chuck.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2008, 09:58 PM

I don't think he was that desperate to get there!

JohnnyMack
11/15/2008, 10:22 PM

SicEm would either get killed by Dean or get caught ****ing Chuck in the shower. It's just a question of which comes first.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/15/2008, 10:24 PM
C'mon, Chuck.

Everyone knows it gas, grass, or ***. Step up next time and he'll become your personal chauffeur.

Chuck Bao
11/16/2008, 09:20 AM

Remember...everyone has their price and everyone has there own brand.

Better luck next time Chuck.

Okay, next time I'll barter you in exchange for the ride.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/16/2008, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to decide who would have the most interesting reality show, Chuck, SicEm or Dean.How about a "Real World" type arrangement?

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2008, 10:17 AM
How about a "Real World" type arrangement?

You mean making them live together or something like that?

JohnnyMack
11/16/2008, 12:05 PM
You mean making them live together or something like that?

For what? Say, 3 months?

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2008, 01:24 PM
For what? Say, 3 months?

I think that would be a reasonable period of time. Don't you?

Rogue
11/16/2008, 08:23 PM
Y'all might be underestimating SicEm in this.
See, if it's a "vote someone off" deal, then SicEm's vote would seal the fate of one of the others who would both want to keep SicEm on board and vote for each other. From there, it's mano-y-mano and the kid's a scrapper I tell ya.