PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants in Norman

basel90
11/15/2008, 08:45 AM
Am a Sooner Grad from 1990 , coming with family to Norman , am currently in the Middle East, can you fellas help me pick the best restaurants in norman , for the following categories:

BBQ Brisket

All American Breakfast

Best Burgers

Best Pizza

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night

Appreciate your help in advance

Go Sooners

olevetonahill
11/15/2008, 09:00 AM
Make sure to Go By the TG , Lots of Food and Drink Plus the Great company .
Be sure to Tip the waiters .;)

Taxman71
11/15/2008, 09:10 AM
Breakfast: either The Diner on Main Street (Downtown)...be prepared to wait or Ozzie's at the Airport.

BBQ: Van's on Porter, Sooner Legends on Lindsey and I-35, Rudy's on Highway 9, plenty of options

After the game, 747 in Campus Corner...long lines and crowded.

King Crimson
11/15/2008, 09:23 AM
Diner for breakfast, only way to go.

Bob's (Sooner Legends) was pretty deece BBQ last couple times i was there. Better than Van's, IMO and better fried okra.

King Crimson
11/15/2008, 09:27 AM
Kendall's in Noble for chicken fried steak.

sooner518
11/15/2008, 09:46 AM
I second Ozzie's for breakfast.

kbsooner
11/15/2008, 09:49 AM
BBQ Brisket : JR's was really good, but I've only been once.

All American Breakfast: Diner downtown, Ozzie's at the airport, or Sunny Side Up for omelettes off Robinson

Best Burgers: The Cheddar Burger at Earl's Rib Palace just up 35 in Moore would get my vote. Johnnie's used to have good burgers and onion rings, but haven't been in a while.

Best Pizza: I've heard BJ's has great pizza, and Coaches. Went to Old Chicago off I-240 the other night and thought it was excellent pizza.

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night: About ten years removed from the nightclub scene. I do like to head to Louie's Westside to keep it a little more low key.

SeattleOUstudent
11/15/2008, 10:49 AM
Am a Sooner Grad from 1990 , coming with family to Norman , am currently in the Middle East, can you fellas help me pick the best restaurants in norman , for the following categories:

BBQ Brisket Vans Pig Stand.

All American Breakfast The Diner on Main St

Best Burgers Red Robin? Its a chain

Best Pizza Hands down, Hideaway!

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night Okay, Man-card revoked.

Go Sooners

OU-HSV
11/15/2008, 11:13 AM
I ate at the Mont for the first time after the season opener this year. Good food...if you go you definitely should get the chips and queso too.
http://www.themont.com/

Since71ASooner4Life
11/15/2008, 11:17 AM
I cant help with the restaurants, but assuming you are military I can say God bless you and your family, and thank you for serving our country.

Soonerus
11/15/2008, 11:27 AM
The Mont's food sux...breakfast, either the Diner or Sunny Side Up...brisket, Darrol Ray has a new place on Lindsey street that is excellent...Burgers, either RedHorse Grill or Sooner Dairy on Main...Pizza, either Hideway, Othello's or Jana's...

Hublah
11/15/2008, 11:29 AM
Hasslers on Porter has a great breakfast...they only take cash though.

Soonerus
11/15/2008, 11:31 AM
Hassler's is decent if you make it out of the place alive....

basel90
11/15/2008, 11:50 AM
Many thanks to all of you who posted the replies , great advice and i knew i can depend on my fellow sooners for advice
i am always telling people what a great place Norman is , and i hope Norman city invests more in food and entertainment .

Is it true they are moving O'connels to a different location , and they are building a parking lot instead? that would be awful as it is prime real estate for new restaurants and such .
Is the food good at the new location , did not see it being mentioned in your posts .

cheers

olevetonahill
11/15/2008, 11:54 AM
Make sure to Go By the TG tho .

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2008, 11:58 AM
McDonalds

OU-HSV
11/15/2008, 12:04 PM
The Mont's food sux...breakfast, either the Diner or Sunny Side Up...brisket, Darrol Ray has a new place on Lindsey street that is excellent...Burgers, either RedHorse Grill or Sooner Dairy on Main...Pizza, either Hideway, Othello's or Jana's...

I had a bacon cheeseburger and it was good. And the Queso was excellent. Maybe I caught it on a good night or something

snp
11/15/2008, 12:16 PM
BBQ Brisket - Vans Pig Stand or Sooner Legends

All American Breakfast - Ozzies

Best Burgers - Goldies

Best Pizza - New York Pizza

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night - Depends on what you like/how old. Logan's or Louie's were my usual destinations when I was in school.

SOONERxWife73
11/15/2008, 12:50 PM
hope your planning on being in norman more than game day. that's alotta food to consume in one day. enjoy and welcome back home.

Kels
11/15/2008, 01:06 PM
BBQ - Sooner Legends

All American Breakfast - The Diner

Best Burgers - The Service Station

Best Pizza - JJ's Pizza Stop

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at Night - I have no idea

The wife and I only like to patronize local places. I hope this helps.

PLaw
11/15/2008, 01:20 PM

Best Pizza - Take a 15 minute drive South to Purcell and go to JO's FAMOUS PIZZA.

Go Sooners

BOOMER!

Fraggle145
11/15/2008, 01:38 PM

BBQ Brisket: Bob's (Sooner Legends), or Van's

All American Breakfast Kendall's in Noble isnt bad... I dont get up in time for breakfast

Best Burgers O'Connell's arent bad...

Best Pizza NY Pizza

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night O'Connells, Logan's, 747, (lots of the young'ns at these 2) Sugars (if ya like the bewbies, the chicks arent as ugly as they used to be and the beer is cheap)

Go Sooners

IMO...

SoonerinSouthlake
11/15/2008, 02:25 PM
I had a bacon cheeseburger and it was good. And the Queso was excellent. Maybe I caught it on a good night or something

I was in the 90's as well....and the Queso is always what people talk about at the Mont...make sure you have some if you go there.

okiewaker
11/15/2008, 04:17 PM
No Mexican food? Anyway, just in case you forgot, Tuhamara's on porter will get you away from some of the other stuff. Simply the best Mexican food this side of the border, guaranteed, plus you can watch them prepare your food via CRT.

colinreturn
11/15/2008, 06:36 PM
sooner dairy lunch

Soonerfan88
11/15/2008, 06:53 PM
Best burgers are definitely found at Goldie's along with their awesome pickle bar. The have moved from W. Lindsey to W. Alameda - 2 doors down from Broyles' favorite Mr. Short Stop.

okiewaker
11/15/2008, 06:57 PM
Best burgers are definitely found at Goldie's along with their awesome pickle bar. They have moved from W. Lindsey to E. Alameda - 2 doors down from Broyles' favorite Mr. Short Stop.

Fixed. Good place, I live very close.

GottaHavePride
11/15/2008, 07:20 PM
He didn't just say BBQ, he said BBQ brisket.

Van's Pig Stand has the best brisket in town, except for MAYBE Harv's - which is a little stand in the parking lot of the bowling alley on East Lindsey, next to the Braum's. And it closes at 6:00.

Breakfast: The food is better at The Diner, but Ozzie's is cheaper and all-you-can-eat.

Burgers: The Service Station. It's around the east side of McFarlin United Methodist. Also good are Sooner Dairy Lunch, Goldie's, and O'Connell's. 8 years ago I would have said go get the Queso Burger at Brother's.

Pizza: New York Pizza. Unless you want fancy hippie pizza - then go to The Hideaway.

Post-game Bar: the tailgate. Oh, you meant for reals? I'd go to The Vista.

Taxman71
11/15/2008, 09:31 PM
Sooner Dairy Lunch burgers is a Norman thing. If you didn't eat them when you were 10, they are awful. Go 1/4 mile East to Johnnie's and get a real burger.

Taxman71
11/15/2008, 09:35 PM
Not included in your original post, but the lasagna rolls at Victoria's on Campus Corner is one of the best dishes in Norman. As stated, Tarahumara is the best TexMex you will ever have.

hobbes2702
11/15/2008, 10:44 PM
I really like the Hickory Burger at The Boomerang

jwlynn64
11/15/2008, 11:02 PM
Not near enough recommendations for Hideaway's Pizza if you ask me. They do have some vegitarian style pizzas but they also have slap on the meat varieties as well. If you are just wanting pepperoni or something order from Domino's but if you want something different and great, go to Hideaways.

In in interest of full disclosure, I have never worked for, nor do I know anyone that works for Hideaways. ;)

Taxman71
11/15/2008, 11:26 PM
Hideaway pizza is indeed very good, especially the...gulp....big country and located right on campus corner. Coach's is good if you get the BBQ Chicken pizza and has a little extra punch for location, OU memorabilia and micro brews. Service is ssssllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

misplacedsooner
11/16/2008, 01:32 AM
everybodies tastes are different it looks like, i can tell you the worst place for bbq ive ever eaten is vans, neat place and very friendly but i just didnt like it at all. we have a hideaway here in stillwater and its the last pizza place ill eat at....good deep fried shrooms though. good luck finding some good food, im sure you will.

Fraggle145
11/16/2008, 02:42 AM
He didn't just say BBQ, he said BBQ brisket.

Van's Pig Stand has the best brisket in town, except for MAYBE Harv's - which is a little stand in the parking lot of the bowling alley on East Lindsey, next to the Braum's. And it closes at 6:00.

Breakfast: The food is better at The Diner, but Ozzie's is cheaper and all-you-can-eat.

Burgers: The Service Station. It's around the east side of McFarlin United Methodist. Also good are Sooner Dairy Lunch, Goldie's, and O'Connell's. 8 years ago I would have said go get the Queso Burger at Brother's.

Pizza: New York Pizza. Unless you want fancy hippie pizza - then go to The Hideaway.

Post-game Bar: the tailgate. Oh, you meant for reals? I'd go to The Vista.

**** I forgot about Harv's http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif, that **** is damn good. also best breakfast... its hard to beat Rudy's for their BBQ breakfast burrito (off hwy 9 and chatauqua)

sooner59
11/16/2008, 02:46 AM
BBQ Brisket: I heard Vans and Sooner Legends is good, but I can truly say J.R.'s is great.

All American Breakfast: Don't ask me, I don't do breakfast that often.

Best Burgers: I like O'Connells and Boomerang. Heard the Serve Station is good.

Best Pizza: New York Pizza for that style, for more deep dish hit up B.J.'s, and there's always Hideaway on campus corner.

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night: I would say just walk around campus corner and see what your scene is. Or you could hit up O'Connells on Lindsey, West Norman, or Downtown Mainstreet (Coach's).

Go Sooners[/QUOTE]

sooner59
11/16/2008, 02:47 AM
**** I forgot about Harv's http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif, that **** is damn good. also best breakfast... its hard to beat Rudy's for their BBQ breakfast burrito (off hwy 9 and chatauqua)

Im gonna take you up on that breakfast burrito. That sound pretty good.

Fraggle145
11/16/2008, 03:37 AM
Im gonna take you up on that breakfast burrito. That sound pretty good.

Dude they don't **** around that **** is awesome.

Crucifax Autumn
11/16/2008, 03:39 AM
Owen Firld will be a good place to eat late Saturday if you're a fan of roasted pirate.

Piware
11/16/2008, 01:37 PM
Brisket - Van's Pig Stand

Breakfast - Prairie Kitchen

Burgers - O'Connels or the Service Station

Pizza - Hideaway

Not saying they are the best - just my family's preferences.

bluesmagoo
11/16/2008, 02:56 PM

Where is the Sunny Side Up located? Thanks.

Taxman71
11/16/2008, 03:26 PM

A hair east of Flood (Highway 77) on Robinson Street next door to Liquors Du Monde.

olevetonahill
11/16/2008, 03:28 PM

Its at the Nudie Beach when the Girls are Face up .:D

bluesmagoo
11/16/2008, 04:05 PM
Oooo, sounds like fun.

OU-HSV
11/16/2008, 04:13 PM
Its at the Nudie Beach when the Girls are Face up .:D
Sweet, now how do my buddy and I talk our wives into going there after the game next week. Oh I got it, we'll tell them it's a breakfast place, that will work ;)

NOVSooner
11/16/2008, 05:46 PM
seems like i've seen this question in another thread and this is a bit off topic but are SLR cameras allowed in the stadium or is there a link of what's permitted and what's not? thanks

snp
11/16/2008, 07:58 PM
No Mexican food? Anyway, just in case you forgot, Tuhamara's on porter will get you away from some of the other stuff. Simply the best Mexican food this side of the border, guaranteed, plus you can watch them prepare your food via CRT.

You need to get out of Norman more if you think that is the best Mexican food this side of the border. Mexican food in Norman sucks.

OU1988
11/17/2008, 01:09 PM
Burgers - I like O'Connell's and am not a big fan of Goldie's. Someone mentioned The Service Station. I haven't been there since the late 80's, but I loved it back then.

bonkuba
11/17/2008, 01:15 PM
I ate at the Mont for the first time after the season opener this year. Good food...if you go you definitely should get the chips and queso too.
http://www.themont.com/

I heard a lot of folks talk about this place so I took the wife and kiddos a couple of weeks ago.

Not to bad mouth a place but I was unimpressed with the food.....the fries are the frozen shoestring type and the food was cold and just seem "plain"...don't know how to describe it.

Now, the atmosphere was really, really good.....felt like an old english pub.....brought me back to my days when I went to London every other month or so on business. Also, the help was really friendly.

I may have been there on a bad day......so take it for what its worth. We will go back....just to give another chance.

Partial Qualifier
11/17/2008, 01:26 PM
^^ Bonkuba, that's pretty much my assessment of the Mont. Bleh. Good queso however.

Thanks for the tip re: Sunny Side Up. That place is always busy, so I should've known it was good. Have to try it soon.

I never considered Rudy's for breffast food 'cause the one time I stopped there for a coffee on my way to work, the coffee was friggin nasty! How can you screw up coffee so bad? But I'll try the brisket burrito.. sounds good in theory :)

I'm a recent proponent of Cracker Barrel breakfast; I don't care for their lunch/dinner but holy slapnuts Batman -- that "Big ole boy" breakfast for 8 bucks is pretty durn good! IMO, it's hard to top Jimmy's Egg on quality/value but I'll no longer refuse Crackah Barrel breakfast.

"The best mexican food" is so subjective. See numerous S.O. threads on this subject.

Partial Qualifier
11/17/2008, 01:28 PM
P.S. - Yamato sushi/teppanyaki (next to Saltgrass) will open soon :D

sooner518
11/17/2008, 01:34 PM
my favorite restaurant in Norman is the Library mainly because of the atmosphere and their patio. but its pretty small and I dont think its real kid-friendly. on gameday, you would probably have to wait a while to get a table too. but their food was pretty good and it feels more of an upperclassmen-type place than all the bars on campus corner. very laidback place

C&CDean
11/17/2008, 03:04 PM
Breakfast - Tiffany's in Noble. Get the big ham breakfast. I dare you.

Pizza - Jo's in Purcell, or NY Pizza on Campus Corner. Hideaway is aggy crap.

Brisket - Can't say. I only eat it at home. Same goes with ribs.

Burger - Super burger at Kendall's or the Tiffanys burger at Tiffany's (both in Noble). Nothing in Norman can touch either one.

Taxman71
11/17/2008, 03:06 PM
The Mont is good IF you get queso and a taco salad. Good drink specials also. Sandwiches there are hit and miss.

Is Kendall's back at their old place in Noble or somewhere new since they returned from Norman?

Lott's Bandana
11/17/2008, 03:11 PM
Norman has a new In The Raw, next to the Harold's outlet on University.

Love PadThai, PitaPit, Legend's and Tarahumara's...Benvenuti's is a good date spot, FancyThat has great lunch items, as does Plaid Cafe.

I have had good recent experiences at Turquoise.

Boomer.....
11/17/2008, 03:22 PM
Breakfast - Tiffany's in Noble. Get the big ham breakfast. I dare you.

Pizza - Jo's in Purcell, or NY Pizza on Campus Corner. Hideaway is aggy crap.

Brisket - Can't say. I only eat it at home. Same goes with ribs.

Burger - Super burger at Kendall's or the Tiffanys burger at Tiffany's (both in Noble). Nothing in Norman can touch either one.

:les: He said in Norman!

C&CDean
11/17/2008, 03:23 PM
Is Kendall's back at their old place in Noble or somewhere new since they returned from Norman?

Back in their old place. Tiffany's is straight across the street. Speaking of which, I'm liking Tiffany's chicken fry more than Kendall's these days. About the same size, but cheaper, and more meat/less breading.

MikeInNorman
11/17/2008, 03:51 PM

BBQ Brisket

J.R.'s, or the former (or current?) Bob's.

All American Breakfast

The Diner, no doubt. ETA: For excellent but not All American, Turquoise Cafe is fantastic.

Best Burgers

Sooner Dairy Lunch

Best Pizza

New York Pizza, no doubt. ETA: Hideaway is massively overrated. Blech.

Best After Game Bar or Nightclub at night

Plenty of good after-game bars, Library, Othello's bar, Mont, etc. Too old to know the nightclubs any more!

Also, since some chimed in with Mexican, I agree that Tarahumara's is the best Tex-Mex you will find. However, if you want something that's more southern and pacific coast mexican, Pepe Delgado's is greatness.