PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats, OU / Tech National Rankings

Since71ASooner4Life
11/15/2008, 06:57 AM
I found this interesting web site:

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=522&year=2008&week=11

I'm not a stat junkie, but there are more than a few interesting comparisons between OU & Tech.

We are #1 in the nation in turnover margin, #3 in Sacks, #8 tackles for loss. Tech in the same categories is #13, #23, #99. Clearly we put more pressure at the line of scrimmage. Tech is #2 in Sacks allowed, we're good also at #7.

Looking at individual defensive stats such as interceptions and tackles for loss, Tech has a few individuals ranking high nationally, we have more individuals ranking suggesting a better balance. I dont understand how pass efficiency is calculated, but our efficiency defense is #30, Tech #46.

Tech's top (3) receivers average 19.1 catches per game, ours 12.5. Again suggesting better balance. Our Rushing offense is #25, theirs #76.

Maybe it's obvious (any typical of most games anyway) without looking at any stats, but I think this game is won or lost on the defensive line of scrimmage for each team.

fadada1
11/15/2008, 09:55 AM
that seems to show/suggest how aggressive we are, but doesn't show the number of big plays (20+ yards) we give up. aggressive is great, but at what cost???

fadada1
11/15/2008, 10:05 AM
i also caught on one of the national shows that "Oklahoma doesn't play defense." i stated last week that OU was #51 nationally in total defense and tech is #57. translated to big12 play (with all opponents) that would put OU #1 in the big 12. now, i'm only an OU and UF grad, but 51 is better than 57 according to both my degrees.

AND, against big12 opponents, we are #1.

if being #1 in the big12 means "plays no defense", i'm curious as to what the other 11 teams do.

IronSooner
11/15/2008, 10:45 AM
i also caught on one of the national shows that "Oklahoma doesn't play defense." i stated last week that OU was #51 nationally in total defense and tech is #57. translated to big12 play (with all opponents) that would put OU #1 in the big 12. now, i'm only an OU and UF grad, but 51 is better than 57 according to both my degrees.

if being #1 in the big12 means "plays no defense", i'm curious as to what the other 11 teams do.

Remember when we used to be #1 in total defense? Or at least top 5, to where we could argue that we were #1? sigh...

Blitzkrieg
11/15/2008, 11:07 AM
Remember when we used to be #1 in total defense? Or at least top 5, to where we could argue that we were #1? sigh...

Yeah, in 2001 when we lost to aggie lite and Nebraska

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2008, 12:11 PM
I think pass efficiency defense is how good we make the opposing QB look. I suspect both teams rankings will drop in that category after next weeks game. The sacks against ratings for both teams are ridiculous. Ours would probably be just as good as theirs if you take away the TCU game.

I noticed in the TT/OSU game that some of TT's plays took forever to open up and Harrell was very patient holding the ball. We will have to get more pressure than OSU did, but I doubt it will result in any sacks. We'll just have to be patient and force him to throw some away or dump to outlet receivers and tackle well.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2008, 12:23 PM
Tackling well is always the key to beating Tech.

PLaw
11/15/2008, 01:17 PM

And, it also makes you wonder where the Sooners' D would rank if we played in the PAC10, BIG11 or SEC. My bet is we would be in the TOP 15, or better.

BOOMER