PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys ever buy things off of Craig's List?

jkjsooner
11/14/2008, 02:26 PM
So, the wife and I are looking for a new couch. We really want a leather one this time but $2000 is just more than I am willing to spend.

I decided to check on Craig's List and it is ridiculous. I'm not sure of the ins and outs or pitfalls of buying from individuals or using Craig's List but it's darn tempting to get a couch that might have been $1500 tor $2000 new for a couple of hundred.

I know used furniture can be kinda gross but it's not like we're buying a mattress and it can't be more gross than what we're living with now. I would, of course, check that the furniture is still in decent shape.

I think there are a lot of people having trouble paying their mortgages. I know the bears predicted good deals on all sorts of things...

After checking various things, I may never set foot in a store again.

The key is to get the wife on board with the idea. What do you all think?

sooner_born_1960
11/14/2008, 02:27 PM
Nothing wrong with buying previously owned goods.

badger
11/14/2008, 02:27 PM
it's how NP and I found our home. it's a good resource.

meet with the person to see the couch and test-sit on it. If you like it, go for it!

Mjcpr
11/14/2008, 02:30 PM
meet with the person to see the couch and test-sit on it. If you like it, go for it!

Word. A lot of times, the existing *** indentions are just not a comfortable fit.

jkjsooner
11/14/2008, 02:38 PM
it's how NP and I found our home. it's a good resource.

Yeah, I would definitely look at it and sit on it before buying. I also want to make sure it's decent quality 100% leather.

47straight
11/14/2008, 02:39 PM
Just don't commit, obviously, to buying anything you haven't seen.

On a less obvious note,

1) Keep your spidey-sense open for fenced goods. I've backed out of more than 1 transaction because I believed that it was stolen.

2) Please don't fall for any check-fraud/nigerian scams.

frankensooner
11/14/2008, 02:44 PM
Pat told me it was a great way to pick up fellers. ;)

PalmBeachSooner1
11/14/2008, 02:55 PM
Craig's List is wonderful. You can get furniture, golf clubs, etc... cheap!

Kels
11/14/2008, 03:25 PM
I've used Craig's list to buy motorcycle and a/v stuff. It's great.

Of course, buyer beware. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

SeattleOUstudent
11/14/2008, 03:28 PM
only buy something off there if you are going to pick it up in person. That will give you a chance to see it and try it out before you fork over the cash. Where people get in trouble, is when they send money sight-unseen.

King Crimson
11/14/2008, 03:35 PM
i bought a nice commuter bike of Craigs. but that was local. no way if i didn't see the merch in person first.

tbl
11/14/2008, 03:46 PM
I filled my entire basement with awesome workout equipment for 1/10 what I would have paid new. Craigslist is awesome. If you get to their house and it's crap, you leave and don't buy it. Very simple. I wouldn't advise a single woman going to a strangers house to buy something (not that I've ever encountered a creep), but you are susceptible in that you're walking into somebody elses house. I've also sold stuff on Craigslist and it worked out fine.

It's the bee's knee's.

proud gonzo
11/14/2008, 05:15 PM
I sold concert tickets on craigslist. haven't bought anything.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/14/2008, 05:18 PM
I bought my mailorder bride from Craig's List.

She makes bitchin' tamales.

Preservation Parcels
11/14/2008, 08:02 PM
When you go to see it, notice how they keep the rest of their house. If it's clean, chances are the sofa has been well cared for, too.

Sometimes people just need to move or downsize, and they would rather sell something inexpensively instead of having to pay someone to haul it away. My next door neighbor paid $150 to have someone take away his old sofa and a couple of tables. I'm sure the haulers turned around and sold it all.

The other thing is to check how much space you have, deep and wide, and then take a tape measure with you.

Make sure that if you want it, you drive something in which you can take it home. Don't give them money and then go find transportation.

Enjoy!

Frozen Sooner
11/14/2008, 08:06 PM
Sold my last car on Craig's List. Never bought anything.

I see the financing end of a lot of people buying cars and such on CL. Seems to generally work OK.

bringit
11/14/2008, 08:32 PM
Bought a bitchin formal dining room set for WAY less than the same exact set at Harverty's costs. Formal furniture is a real buy since it's rarely used.

soonerboomer93
11/14/2008, 10:26 PM
I sold my old car on it, I had more calls then I could handle within 15 minutes of posting it

tommieharris91
11/14/2008, 10:35 PM
I buy my hookers on Craigslist.

tulsaoilerfan
11/15/2008, 12:05 AM
Craig's List is wonderful. You can get furniture, golf clubs, etc... cheap!

Can we get some ***** for Sic Em on there? :D

SoonerInFla
11/15/2008, 03:48 AM
Can we get some ***** for Sic Em on there? :D

Yes. There's a lot of that going on there.