PDA

View Full Version : Can We Get Pressure On Harrell?

birddog
11/14/2008, 11:51 AM
will we have enough depth on the d-line to avoid getting worn down as the game goes on?

if we didn't have any injuries we could probably have a pretty good rotation to keep guys fresh in the 4th quarter. but if we are without granger, davis, and english, we could be in trouble because tech's line is really physical and they make you work your asses off just to get a sniff of harrell.

osu may have a decent defense but tech did whatever they wanted because the pokes couldn't find a way to disrupt him. by the 3rd qtr. the poke d-linemen had been in for 30+ plays and just couldn't hold up any longer.

or are we just going to have to forget about defense altogether and hope we outscore them?

8timechamps
11/14/2008, 11:54 AM
Honestly, I think it's going to come down to being able to stop them a couple of times. I doubt we will be able to get much pressure on Harrell without blitzing, and from what I've seen, he's great at picking up the blitz and finding his open receiver.

I think an interception or a couple of stops may be the difference in the game.

I am fully expecting a shootout.

OU 49
TT 42

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2008, 12:06 PM
Is Granger out again ?

The Maestro
11/14/2008, 12:07 PM
Turnovers will determine the winner. And key penalties that put offenses in long situations.

First one to 50 wins...

8timechamps
11/14/2008, 12:08 PM
Turnovers will determine the winner. And key penalties that put offenses in long situations.

First one to 50 wins...

Don't forget special teams. We can't afford to give a team like TT a short field.

The Maestro
11/14/2008, 12:16 PM
Don't forget special teams. We can't afford to give a team like TT a short field.

Yeah...that is the problem with all our touchdowns...they will get about 8 chances to return kicks! :D

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah...that is the problem with all our touchdowns...they will get about 8 chances to return kicks! :D

Unfortunately, we may get to return a lot of kicks next week too. I like the way DM is returning them though; we may actually have an advantage there :cool:

fadada1
11/14/2008, 01:04 PM
he who punts least, wins.

i hope we can get some serious pressure on him. although, the biggest concern i have is not necessarily with our DBs, rather, our LBs and their ability to pick up the check down WR/RB coming out of the backfield. that seemed to kill osu.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/14/2008, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately, we may get to return a lot of kicks next week too. I like the way DM is returning them though; we may actually have an advantage there :cool:

Are you crazy? We have the worst kick return defense that I have ever seen.

JLEW1818
11/14/2008, 01:32 PM
We need to force 2 turnovers, and zero on OUr side.

JLEW1818
11/14/2008, 01:33 PM

Think he means kickoff return offense

SoonerShay
11/14/2008, 03:07 PM
OSU is one of the worst teams in the BIG12 at getting sacks. The exact opposite of us who leads the BIG12 in sacks and tackles for loss.

PalmBeachSooner1
11/14/2008, 03:12 PM
To your original question I hope so but that line is absolutely HUGE.

NormanPride
11/14/2008, 03:18 PM
We might run a 3-2-6 for a lot of the game. Granger in the middle, McCoy and Beal on the outside. Box and Lewis in the middle with Clayton playing more like a safety. Maybe trade Harris for box like we did against KU, but I dunno...

These are just rumors, of course.

The Maestro
11/14/2008, 03:26 PM
We might run a 3-2-6 for a lot of the game. Granger in the middle, McCoy and Beal on the outside. Box and Lewis in the middle with Clayton playing more like a safety. Maybe trade Harris for box like we did against KU, but I dunno...

These are just rumors, of course.

Well, I hope that plan includes a heavy dose of Frank Alexander. He's been a beast on the pass rush and a fast runner once around the corner for the QB.

stoopified
11/14/2008, 03:45 PM
I've heard talk of running a 3-3-5 but haven't heard the talk of 3-2-6.3-3-6 makes more sense to me be cause we could rotate Taylor,Bennet,Granger,McCoy,in the three down slots as well as use Alexander,Beal at DE on occassion as well as speling at outside LB.I don't see us having enough depth at DB to keep 6 backs on the field and fresh.Harris,Holmes,Careter,Jackson,Franks have gotten the majority of primetime DB snaps.I could see spelling one pf those 5 with Proctor or Fleming but have Proctor or Fleming statrt?I don't see that.

KaleoHolley
11/14/2008, 03:55 PM
3-3-6 makes more sense to me be cause we could rotate Taylor,Bennet,Granger,McCoy.....

It makes more sense to me because we have an extra man on the field!!! Man I can only hope that we are allowed to run the 3-3-6. I like our chances for sure then. :D :D :D :D

NormanPride
11/14/2008, 04:28 PM
Well, I hope that plan includes a heavy dose of Frank Alexander. He's been a beast on the pass rush and a fast runner once around the corner for the QB.

I heard the coaches talk about how they didn't like the way he dressed, so he's on the third string now behind the kicker.

;)

RiddlerOK
11/14/2008, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes:

Breadburner
11/14/2008, 04:35 PM
Keep him off the field.....

oumartin
11/14/2008, 04:50 PM
he gets the ball out too fast to sack or pressure. wheat we need is the dline to get their mits up and knock a few balls down

soonermix
11/14/2008, 04:56 PM
here is what we should do.

take the ball first and if we...
1) score a touchdown: then kickoff to their best returner... so that they have to start in our red zone every time. texas tech is slightly less effective in the red zone than in the open field (less room to work with) then we should be able to hold them to field goals

or

2) if we don't score we create a a dog pile and let the air out of all their footballs.... see harrell throw those things muahahaha

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2008, 05:02 PM

I may be crazy, but that's not important now :)

I'm saying that if we have a true shootout and TT kicks off a lot, we may do better on returns than they do. DM had 2 60 yarders against NU and was close to breaking a few against aTm. It could be a shoot out on offense and ST as well. Also, TT gave up a punt return TD against the horns and Broyles is very dangerous on those (if we can force a few punts). I'd rather win the battle by just kicking off many more times than they do and if they run one back, so be it.

cvsooner
11/14/2008, 05:34 PM
My own prediction is 1. Tech has a better defense than most people think and our offense may struggle a bit, so it's a good thing our run game has picked up; 2. our defense will play better than it has been, and tackling will improve; 3. special teams play will be huge, and we'll see some surprises there. Hopefully good surprises.

I do think we can get pressure on Harrell. His line is big but I don't think they're especially quick. Perhaps a bigger issue for us is tackling. We simply must tackle better in this game than we have all season. Tech will make completions and they'll get yards. Just make 'em earn all of them.

Turnovers will be big too. If we can get a couple of turnovers and score...anything to keep Harrell and co. on the bench.

One thing Tech had going for it in its last two games is Texas and OSewe didn't play terribly well. Texas played much better in the second half and nearly won. OSewe never really got untracked...and may not be as good as I thought they were. The wins over Mizzou by both Texas and OSewe may not be as impressive as everybody thought, considering.

I think it will be still be a shoot-out but not as high scoring as we've been thinking. Something like 35-31, or thereabouts, in OU's favor. I hope it's bigger than that but I wouldn't be surprised by that score.

MojoRisen
11/14/2008, 05:37 PM
I see that I am not the only one who notice that Frank Alexander is ready to play and play often... He is a man child and is maybe more green but every bit as good as English and Beal in there....

Granger is not out that I know of?? And Mccoy is going to be able to use these big arse lineman with their gaps- have you seen his swim move? If they don't double him he is going to shoot the gap the entire game... We just need one backer to know which gap he is shooting...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2008, 05:37 PM
OU wins by at least 13....no problem

East Coast Bias
11/14/2008, 05:38 PM
Pressure on Harrell will be the key to winning the game.Defensive line play is crucial. I like the strategy on offense of on-side kicking on every kick-off if it appears they will score on every possession....

MojoRisen
11/14/2008, 05:42 PM
We may could get some turnovers -

PalmBeachSooner1
11/14/2008, 05:43 PM
Keep him off the field.....

Tough for our Offense to do. It may be 21-14 at the end of the 1st.

MojoRisen
11/14/2008, 05:53 PM
I say we don't blitz at all unless we know they are running - let the lineman and Ends get in there - keep hands up and take a couple of flags if they are moving at will. Dark Helment is a hunted man...

I think the Secondary can cover and take risk for oskies...

OUMedMan
11/14/2008, 05:54 PM
OU easily, by about 70-35.

When was the last time a top five OU team lost a game at home?

okiewaker
11/14/2008, 06:30 PM
here is what we should do.

take the ball first and if we...
1) score a touchdown: then kickoff to their best returner... so that they have to start in our red zone every time. texas tech is slightly less effective in the red zone than in the open field (less room to work with) then we should be able to hold them to field goals

or

2) if we don't score we create a a dog pile and let the air out of all their footballs.... see harrell throw those things muahahaha

Too bad football doesn't change the rule to "make it, take it" like basketball.

Anyway, if we can't get much pressure the line will have to run in with their arms in the air.

birddog
11/14/2008, 06:54 PM
Granger is not out that I know of?? And Mccoy is going to be able to use these big arse lineman with their gaps- have you seen his swim move? If they don't double him he is going to shoot the gap the entire game... We just need one backer to know which gap he is shooting...

he's not out, just not quite a 100% since the injury. if he can play 30-40 plays in the middle with mccoy, it'll help wear on their o-line a bit (tech isn't deep on the o-line).

JLEW1818
11/14/2008, 06:58 PM
Gotta force fumbles

PalmBeachSooner1
11/14/2008, 07:10 PM
Hope about our usual 14-21 in the 1st and run the ball for 3 quarters? Run that clock with the lead.

okiewaker
11/14/2008, 07:15 PM
Fans will have some pressure on him. This is going to be a very loud game. Hopefully the fans will do their part and make it hard on harrell.

MojoRisen
11/14/2008, 08:54 PM
Dark helmet will be dismanteld.. Dark Helmet will be dismanteld -

Use the force- OU OU OU

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMER

proudsoonergal
11/14/2008, 10:30 PM
OU easily, by about 70-35.

When was the last time a top five OU team lost a game at home?

Uh, 2001.

http://www.appollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=867

soonergirlNeugene
11/14/2008, 10:36 PM
We can't count on pressure to make the difference. Harrell just looked way too comfortable last week even when the pokes brought everyone. We're going to need to get some coverage sacks, but with a guy like Crabtree out there, thats no small task. I just hope this Clemson stuff hasn't been too much of a distraction for the defense this week because they may have their work cut out for them.

okiewaker
11/14/2008, 11:04 PM
We can't count on pressure to make the difference. Harrell just looked way too comfortable last week even when the pokes brought everyone. We're going to need to get some coverage sacks, but with a guy like Crabtree out there, thats no small task. I just hope this Clemson stuff hasn't been too much of a distraction for the defense this week because they may have their work cut out for them.

We count on Bradford to make the difference, as for the rest, i have no argument!

soonergirlNeugene
11/14/2008, 11:25 PM
Bradford's offense. Offense I'm pretty confident about. Would just rather it not be a full blown shootout if we can avoid it. If any offense can hang with Tech in a shootout, it's gotta be ours..but I've got the BCS on my mind and we better show some D.

Breadburner
11/14/2008, 11:51 PM
Punt on first down......

Crucifax Autumn
11/15/2008, 02:55 AM
I say we just put some gay-assed kiss/wrestler makeup on all our players and we'll be at least 22 times as good as they are!