PDA

View Full Version : NFL OT sucks

PDXsooner
11/13/2008, 11:42 PM
Say what you want, but college OT does it right. At least you don't battle to a draw and have it come down to a coin flip. weak.

GrapevineSooner
11/13/2008, 11:43 PM
That's my biggest pet peeve about the NFL. The idea that a team could lose without ever getting an OT possession is just one that I will never be able to wrap my brain around.

Let alone, that it could be one and done with a FG to win it. If you get the first possession in OT, you should at least have to score a TD.

Fraggle145
11/13/2008, 11:46 PM
I agree NFL OT sucks.

College OT sucks though too. I think you should have to start outside of scoring range, like on the 50 or something.

setem
11/13/2008, 11:57 PM
AGREED! NFL SUCKS PERIOD!

olevetonahill
11/14/2008, 12:22 AM
I agree NFL OT sucks.

College OT sucks though too. I think you should have to start outside of scoring range, like on the 50 or something.

Start on the 20 , Nuff said .;)

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/14/2008, 11:17 AM
Disagree. NFL OT is still football. College system is weak.

How about trading freethrows for basketball OT. Or 1 possession at a time like college and HS does. That's why the NFL has it right.

8timechamps
11/14/2008, 11:21 AM
Doesn't the team that wins the coin toss in OT win like 75% of the time (or somewhere in that neighborhood)?

I'll agree that NFL OT sucks.

But Moss had an amazing catch to take it to OT last night. Even though I don't care for the dude, he can still play.

1890MilesToNorman
11/14/2008, 11:23 AM
Add another 15 minute period and if no one scores call it a tie. Or maybe have one captain from each team arm wrestle for the game. I do believe the college OT is better, each team has the opportunity. but then so does the 15 minute period idea.

Taxman71
11/14/2008, 11:31 AM
I say each team should get the ball somewhere outside of field goal, hence requiring a first down or two even to get a field goal. Thus, every aspect of the game has an impact in OT except for kickoffs and punts.

The NFL only uses their system to get the damn game over quickly as they are like nazis about keeping their games under 3 hours.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/14/2008, 11:42 AM
I say each team should get the ball somewhere outside of field goal, hence requiring a first down or two even to get a field goal. Thus, every aspect of the game has an impact in OT except for kickoffs and punts.

OK. Tie game in basketball. Flip a coin and give the ball to one team at halfcourt. Score or don't. Then give the ball to the other team, shoot at the same basket. After 2 OT's then a team can only shoot threes. That's the equivalent to college football's OT.

However, in real basketball, an extra period is played. As well as the tip off. Just as it should be in football.

Next. Tie game after the regulation inning count in baseball. So for the extra innings put runners at 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Also, you can start anywhere you like in your lineup for each half inning. That's the olympic solution for ties.

In the NFL, every aspect of the game is included. Special teams as well. If you have to kick, then cover the kick and force a 3 and out. Then field position would probably be in your favor.

The college system is tiddly winks. Kinda like the DH in the American League. But that is a different argument all together.

8timechamps
11/14/2008, 11:57 AM
Next. Tie game after the regulation inning count in baseball. So for the extra innings put runners at 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Also, you can start anywhere you like in your lineup for each half inning. That's the olympic solution for ties.

In youth baseball, we use a "California tiebreaker" to keep games from going 5 hours.

Put a runner (your last out from the previous inning) on second base, and the batting team starts with one out in the inning.

90% of the time, the game end after that inning.

Taxman71
11/14/2008, 12:33 PM
OK. Tie game in basketball. Flip a coin and give the ball to one team at halfcourt. Score or don't. Then give the ball to the other team, shoot at the same basket. After 2 OT's then a team can only shoot threes. That's the equivalent to college football's OT.

However, in real basketball, an extra period is played. As well as the tip off. Just as it should be in football.

In the NFL, every aspect of the game is included. Special teams as well. If you have to kick, then cover the kick and force a 3 and out. Then field position would probably be in your favor.

The college system is tiddly winks. Kinda like the DH in the American League. But that is a different argument all together.

Apples and Oranges. In basketball, one bucket equals 3% of a team's total scoring on average, while a TD would equal closer to 30% of a football team's total points. Thus, scoring is diluted in basketball, but still a big deal in football.

Also, a typical basketball game will involve 90+ possessions per team, while football only affords approximately 10-13. Thus, a single possession is huge in football and virtually irrelevant in basketball except for the closing seconds. Thus, a single possession is adequate OT for football, but not basketball. Every team in OT should have the potential to win with its offense AND defense, not either or.

As for the NCAA, pushing the line of scrimmage to the 50 or further would reduce multiple OT games to take away the automatic FG.

Taxman71
11/14/2008, 12:35 PM
In youth baseball, we use a "California tiebreaker" to keep games from going 5 hours.

Put a runner (your last out from the previous inning) on second base, and the batting team starts with one out in the inning.

90% of the time, the game end after that inning.

That is a perfect example of when time constraints are so important that a devised OT system is warranted. As for the NFL, it is too big, too important and has way too much money involved to end games "as quickly as possible" which is the only justification for the current OT rules.

Heck, I remember when Flipper Anderson returned the OT kick for a TD to win the game in 10 seconds. How is that not considered a cheap way to end a game?

TUSooner
11/14/2008, 01:13 PM
College OT sucks more and worse and badder and more suckily than NFL OT does. It's as bad as penalty kicks in soccer. At least NFL OT is "real" and not some contrivance like you'd see in a 11 year old girls softball game. If you don't want the team tat wins the toss to win the game, then have your defense stop them.
Having said that: NFL OT would be improved by providing that each team gets at least 1 possession. If the team that wins the toss scores on the opening drive, they have to kick off to the other team. The other team then either scores or loses. If the team that wins the toss does not score on the opening drive and either turns the ball over or punts to the other side, you just play until somebody scores, like it is now.
Just to repeat:
College OT = teh fail

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/14/2008, 01:33 PM
That is a perfect example of when time constraints are so important that a devised OT system is warranted. As for the NFL, it is too big, too important and has way too much money involved to end games "as quickly as possible" which is the only justification for the current OT rules.

Heck, I remember when Flipper Anderson returned the OT kick for a TD to win the game in 10 seconds. How is that not considered a cheap way to end a game?

Actually, if you want to win in OT, cover the kick return. That's not cheap, that's football.

JLEW1818
11/14/2008, 01:42 PM

FOOTBALL IS NOT BASKETBALL

cheezyq
11/14/2008, 01:56 PM

How about trading freethrows for basketball OT. Or 1 possession at a time like college and HS does. That's why the NFL has it right.

Wow, mind-boggling contradictory logic. Using that backwards way of thinking, you're still wrong. I agree, the NFL should allow a full overtime, but with both sides AT LEAST getting a CHANCE to score. That's a correct way of doing it. But you're saying that the NFL has it RIGHT by giving the extra 15 minutes, yet ending the game after one team scores, regardless of the inequal possessions.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2008, 02:17 PM
College OT sucks more and worse and badder and more suckily than NFL OT does. It's as bad as penalty kicks in soccer. At least NFL OT is "real" and not some contrivance like you'd see in a 11 year old girls softball game. If you don't want the team tat wins the toss to win the game, then have your defense stop them.
Having said that: NFL OT would be improved by providing that each team gets at least 1 possession. If the team that wins the toss scores on the opening drive, they have to kick off to the other team. The other team then either scores or loses. If the team that wins the toss does not score on the opening drive and either turns the ball over or punts to the other side, you just play until somebody scores, like it is now.
Just to repeat:
College OT = teh fail

What he said...but with better grammar.

Taxman71
11/14/2008, 02:35 PM
Just to repeat:
College OT = teh fail

So, essentially, just like the NCAA except with kickoffs and punts.

colinreturn
11/14/2008, 06:22 PM
start at your own 20 in college and there is the perfect overtime.

okiewaker
11/14/2008, 06:36 PM
Doesn't the team that wins the coin toss in OT win like 75% of the time (or somewhere in that neighborhood)?

I'll agree that NFL OT sucks.

But Moss had an amazing catch to take it to OT last night. Even though I don't care for the dude, he can still play.

For what it's worth Gotleib just said 50% of the time. That seems strange. I would have thought more of what you said.

oklaclarinet
11/14/2008, 09:16 PM
Just to repeat:
College OT = teh fail

That's exactly how they do it in Arena Football.

randu
11/15/2008, 12:50 AM

This is a stupid analogy using the free throws. Last time I checked, college overtime has offense, defense and special teams. That's all three phases of the game. Also, I've never attended a football game that ended as soon as one team scored...but that's just me.

SoonerBBall
11/15/2008, 10:57 AM
For what it's worth Gotleib just said 50% of the time. That seems strange. I would have thought more of what you said.

Gotleib's stats are wrong. In fact, the reason the rule has never changed is because the team that wins the coin toss wins less than 50% of the time (i believe the current figure is 46 or 47%).

okiewaker
11/15/2008, 05:27 PM
Gotleib's stats are wrong. In fact, the reason the rule has never changed is because the team that wins the coin toss wins less than 50% of the time (i believe the current figure is 46 or 47%).

Thanks for the correction. I guess over some time that 3 or 4 percent makes a big difference.