PDA

View Full Version : Top Chef - New York City

KC//CRIMSON
11/12/2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.realitytvworld.com/images/heads/storyleads/topchefnewyork_cast.jpg

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/rating/rating_5.gif “Top Chef” isn’t resting on its well-deserved reputation for being one of TV’s best reality competition shows.

The Bravo hit’s “Top Chef: New York” edition, debuting at 9 p.m. Wednesday, adds just enough inventive new flavors to keep it tasty.

“Shooting in New York lent itself to a lot of just amazing things that New York has to offer. You know, a lot of different ethnic cuisines,” judge Tom Colicchio said during a call with journalists Friday. “That sort of worked itself into the challenges at a lot of different locations.”

He’s right—and it lends a lot of excitement to the opener. The culinary melting pot begins immediately, when the cheftestants meet on the New York Harbor ferry going to Governor’s Island, where they compete in the first quick-fire challenge (more on that in a minute). Later in the episode, they visit neighborhood markets all over the city to complete the elimination challenge in which they go head-to-head against each other to make various ethnic dishes.

“I’m very proud of this show for ... really looking at the city,” host and judge Padma Lakshmi, who lives in New York, said during the call. “I was so excited for it to be in New York. I really was.”

Although we don’t see him in the premier, adding excitement to the show this season is Brit Toby Young, author of the book “How to Lose Friends & Alienate People,” who joins Colicchio, Lakshmi and Gail Simmons as judges. The tell-it-like-it-is-author brings his own spice to the judges’ table, Colicchio said.

“I got many chances to roll my eyes at some of the things that he said,” the chef said. “He was brash. He was opinionated. He was very funny and witty as well.”

Other guest stars this season will be Foo Fighters, Martha Stewart, Jean-Georges, Eric Ripert, and Natasha Richardson.

The cheftestants are global this season, too, coming from wide-ranging backgrounds.

Stefan, an obvious standout, was born in Finland, trained in Switzerland and Germany and now works in the U.S. He’s going to be the guy people love to hate, because he’s good—and he knows it. He immediately bonds with an Italian, Fabio, who is chef-owner of Cafe Firenze in California. Chicago’s Radhika Desai (see pages 18-19), executive chef at Between Boutique Cafe & Lounge, adds to the mix with her Indian background.

Speaking of Desai, let’s talk more about that quick-fire challenge. Being in the Big Apple isn’t the only delightful twist in the show, now in its fifth season.

During the first quick-fire challenge, the 17 competitors are whittled down to eight when they race to peel 15 apples with a paring knife. The four losers then race to fill two cups with perfectly diced apples. The final four then are challenged to make some kind of apple dish in 20 minutes.

Then for the first time ever in a quick-fire challenge, the loser is sent home. Without unpacking; without even seeing the cool “Top Chef” pad in Williamsburg.

“I loved that quick-fire,” Lakshmi said. “It was a long day. It was a hot day, but it was so much fun to watch these guys go at it. You know, it’s a relay race. It was great.”

It looks like fans can expect the same from “Top Chef: New York.”

mdklatt
11/12/2008, 06:19 PM
:dean: Some of you homos watch this crap? You people worry me.

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 06:22 PM
:dean: Some of you homos watch this crap? You people worry me.

Wanna know how I know KC is ghey? :P

KC//CRIMSON
11/12/2008, 06:27 PM
:dean: Because I listen to Coldplay?

NYC Poke
11/12/2008, 06:27 PM
I like Top Chef, but it's no Project Runway.

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 07:09 PM
:dean: Because I listen to Coldplay?

:eek:

I like Top Chef, but it's no Project Runway.

Ok, I could handle the poke part, but now I am going to have to ask you to stop posting in this thread :P

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 07:11 PM
I kind of like the next food network star myself, but I doubt anyone will ever be better than Guy.

The new Iron Chef one was lame, now the dude is on Dinner Impossible cause he ain't no Iron Chef.

KC//CRIMSON
11/12/2008, 07:20 PM
I prefer Top Chef because it's strictly about cooking and nothing else.:cool:

soonerscuba
11/12/2008, 09:08 PM
I prefer Top Chef because it's strictly about cooking and nothing else.:cool:And the fact that awards talent in head to head competition as opposed to who can act the most like their favorite reality TV "star".

While Stephanie won and deserved it, I don't think anybody will be more talented than Blais.

Okla-homey
11/12/2008, 09:20 PM
I prefer Hell's Kitchen. I like it when Gordon Ramsey makes narcissistic twenty-somethings cry. Especially the guys.

jage
11/12/2008, 09:29 PM
I prefer Hell's Kitchen. I like it when Gordon Ramsey makes narcissistic twenty-somethings cry. Especially the guys.

Same here, that guy cracks me up. Kitchen Nightmares is a pretty good show to watch too.

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 09:30 PM

I knew this guy who started a Gordon Ramsey thread this one time...

:P :P :P

:(

GottaHavePride
11/12/2008, 09:42 PM
I would eat some beers with Gordon Ramsay.

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 09:44 PM
I like that guy from Charm City Cakes.

mdklatt
11/13/2008, 10:25 AM
Same here, that guy cracks me up. Kitchen Nightmares is a pretty good show to watch too.

Hell's Kitchen is good, but the US version of Kitchen Nightmares is a schticky imitation of the original.

Hmm...anybody up for Top Chef: Celebrity Chefs?

NormanPride
11/13/2008, 10:53 AM
I would eat some beers with Gordon Ramsay.

Eat?

I love Top Chef, but I get too worked up over it. When I disagree with the judges or hate someone that wins, I get really pissed. :O