PDA

View Full Version : Got this in an Email, Hope you enjoy .

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 04:04 PM
I Was A Soldier

" By Colonel Daniel K. Cedusky, AUS, Retired

I was a Soldier: That's the way it is, that's what we were...are. We put it, simply, without any swagger, without any brag, in those four plain words.

We speak them softly, just to ourselves. Others may have forgotten
T hey are a manifesto to mankind; speak those four words anywhere in the world -- yes, anywhere -- and many who hear will recognize their meaning.

T hey are a pledge. A pledge that stems from a document which said: "I solemnly Swear”, “to protect and defend” and goes on from there, and from a Flag called "Old Glory".

Listen, and you can hear the voices echoing through them, words that sprang white-hot from bloody lips, shouts of “medic”, whispers of “Oh God!”, forceful words of “Follow Me”. If you can’t hear them, you weren’t, if you can you were.

"Don't give up the ship! Fight her till she dies... Damn the torpedoes! Go ahead! . . . Do you want to live forever? . . . Don't cheer, boys; the poor devils are dying."
Laughing words, and words cold as January ice, words that when spoken, were meant, .. "Wait till you see the whites of their eyes". The echo's of I was a Soldier.

You can hear the slow cadences at Gettysburg , or Arlington honoring not a man, but a Soldier, perhaps forgotten by his nation...Oh! Those Broken Promises.
You can hear those echoes as you have a beer at the "Post", walk in a parade, go to The Wall, visit a VA hospital, hear the mournful sounds of tap, or gaze upon the white crosses, row upon row.
But t hey aren't just words; t hey 're a way of life, a pat tern of living, or a way of dying.

T hey made the evening, with another day's work done; supper with the wife and kids; and no Gestapo snooping at the door and threatening to kick your teeth in.
T hey gave you the right to choose who shall run our government for us, the right to a secret vote that counts just as much as the next fellow's in the final tally; and the obligation to use that right, and guard it and keep it clean.
T hey prove the right to hope, to dream, to pray; the obligation to serve.
These are some of the meanings of those four words, meanings we don't often stop to tally up or even list.

Only in the stillness of a moonless night, or in the quiet of a Sunday afternoon, or in the thin dawn of a new day, when our world is close about us, do t hey rise up in our memories and stir in our sentient hearts.
And we are remembering Iwo Jima, Wake Island, and Bataan, Inchon , and Chu Lai, Knox and Benning, Great Lakes and Paris Island , Travis and Chanute, Bagdad, Kabul , Kuwait City, and many other places long forgotten by our civilian friends.
T hey 're plain words, those four. Simple words.
You could carve them on stone; you could carve them on the mountain ranges.
You could sing them, to the tune of "Yankee Doodle."
But you needn't. You needn't do any of those things, for those words are graven in the hearts of Veterans, t hey are familiar to 24,000,000 tongues, every sound and every syllable. If you must write them, put them on my Stone.

But when you speak them, speak them softly, proudly, I will hear you, for I too,
I was a Soldier, I AM A VETERAN.
Inspired By “Creed” I am an American by Hal Borland

olevetonahill
11/13/2008, 01:23 AM
Cant Believe No one responded to this .:(

JLEW1818
11/13/2008, 01:32 AM
I Was A Soldier

" By Colonel Daniel K. Cedusky, AUS, Retired

I was a Soldier: That's the way it is, that's what we were...are. We put it, simply, without any swagger, without any brag, in those four plain words.

We speak them softly, just to ourselves. Others may have forgotten
T hey are a manifesto to mankind; speak those four words anywhere in the world -- yes, anywhere -- and many who hear will recognize their meaning.

T hey are a pledge. A pledge that stems from a document which said: "I solemnly Swear”, “to protect and defend” and goes on from there, and from a Flag called "Old Glory".

Listen, and you can hear the voices echoing through them, words that sprang white-hot from bloody lips, shouts of “medic”, whispers of “Oh God!”, forceful words of “Follow Me”. If you can’t hear them, you weren’t, if you can you were.

"Don't give up the ship! Fight her till she dies... Damn the torpedoes! Go ahead! . . . Do you want to live forever? . . . Don't cheer, boys; the poor devils are dying."
Laughing words, and words cold as January ice, words that when spoken, were meant, .. "Wait till you see the whites of their eyes". The echo's of I was a Soldier.

You can hear the slow cadences at Gettysburg , or Arlington honoring not a man, but a Soldier, perhaps forgotten by his nation...Oh! Those Broken Promises.
You can hear those echoes as you have a beer at the "Post", walk in a parade, go to The Wall, visit a VA hospital, hear the mournful sounds of tap, or gaze upon the white crosses, row upon row.
But t hey aren't just words; t hey 're a way of life, a pat tern of living, or a way of dying.

T hey made the evening, with another day's work done; supper with the wife and kids; and no Gestapo snooping at the door and threatening to kick your teeth in.
T hey gave you the right to choose who shall run our government for us, the right to a secret vote that counts just as much as the next fellow's in the final tally; and the obligation to use that right, and guard it and keep it clean.
T hey prove the right to hope, to dream, to pray; the obligation to serve.
These are some of the meanings of those four words, meanings we don't often stop to tally up or even list.

Only in the stillness of a moonless night, or in the quiet of a Sunday afternoon, or in the thin dawn of a new day, when our world is close about us, do t hey rise up in our memories and stir in our sentient hearts.
And we are remembering Iwo Jima, Wake Island, and Bataan, Inchon , and Chu Lai, Knox and Benning, Great Lakes and Paris Island , Travis and Chanute, Bagdad, Kabul , Kuwait City, and many other places long forgotten by our civilian friends.
T hey 're plain words, those four. Simple words.
You could carve them on stone; you could carve them on the mountain ranges.
You could sing them, to the tune of "Yankee Doodle."
But you needn't. You needn't do any of those things, for those words are graven in the hearts of Veterans, t hey are familiar to 24,000,000 tongues, every sound and every syllable. If you must write them, put them on my Stone.

But when you speak them, speak them softly, proudly, I will hear you, for I too,
I was a Soldier, I AM A VETERAN.
Inspired By “Creed” I am an American by Hal Borland

Best War Quote

olevetonahill
11/13/2008, 02:11 AM
I remember " Medic " and "Oh GOD "
very vividly .

soonerboy_odanorth
11/13/2008, 02:58 AM
God bless.

BTW, the best thing that happened to me this week was my oldest called and said, "Thank you!" To which I asked, "For what?" To which he responded, "For serving, Dad!"

So I had to explain to him that I wasn't really a Veteran, but a peacetime member, and that the real thank you belonged to the volunteer,*******

Thanks for the comments, guys. Somehow I managed to make my post get cut off, so I didn't finish the story... Here it is:

So I had to explain to him that I wasn't really a Veteran, but a peacetime member, and that the real thank you belonged to the volunteer, the draftee, and the dedicated professionals that put their butts on the line in awful foreign places, when all they really wanted to do was be at home with their families.

And he didn't respond right away, like he was giving it some thought.... but then responded to me,

"Dad, if they told you you had to go fight somewhere, would you?" And I said, "Of course... that would have been my duty."

And (as you noted Ole) he said, "Well, then you served! Thanks, Dad!"

It made me feel good. But more importantly, made me think of you guys (Ole) that have parked your asses in the grass of some third-world banana republic and given it what you had to give because your country said it was right and important.

So belatedly (because of my inability to operate teh innerwebs), thank you guys so much for what you have done. It bears repeating... and bears being offered to StormChaser, and some of you others that are out there taking care of business (and us!).

Thank you!

olevetonahill
11/13/2008, 03:54 AM
God bless.

BTW, the best thing that happened to me this week was my oldest called and said, "Thank you!" To which I asked, "For what?" To which he responded, "For serving, Dad!"

So I had to explain to him that I wasn't really a Veteran, but a peacetime member, and that the real thank you belonged to the volunteer,

Did Ya serve Or Not ?
Ya A VET.