PDA

View Full Version : Sapulpa OK makes CNN.com Video

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2008, 03:27 PM
But not for a good reason...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/11/10/dnt.ok.no.obama.newspaper.kjrh

Boomer.....
11/12/2008, 03:32 PM
Not even going to comment.

badger
11/12/2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, we all heard about this last week ;)

A protest by a few residents in Sapulpa are not going to change opinions. What really will is hearing how newspapers from around the country are selling out of reprints and selling the front page in poster format, etc. for huge profits Sapulpa's Herald lost a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY lot of money by not making their own front page a record of Tuesday's historic election.

As for emphasizing local, all they'd have to do is go out into the community that day/night and talk to people about the election to localize that national story. Do Sapulpa people care what a watch party is doing in Chicago. Maybe, maybe not. Do Sapulpa people care how everyone reacted when the announcement came which candidate would be president, or why they stood in line two-three hours to vote?

Palin: YOU BETCHA!

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, we all heard about this last week ;)

A protest by a few residents in Sapulpa are not going to change opinions. What really will is hearing how newspapers from around the country are selling out of reprints and selling the front page in poster format, etc. for huge profits Sapulpa's Herald lost a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY lot of money by not making their own front page a record of Tuesday's historic election.

As for emphasizing local, all they'd have to do is go out into the community that day/night and talk to people about the election to localize that national story. Do Sapulpa people care what a watch party is doing in Chicago. Maybe, maybe not. Do Sapulpa people care how everyone reacted when the announcement came which candidate would be president, or why they stood in line two-three hours to vote?

Palin: YOU BETCHA!

Yeah, I figured it got talked about but I searched and didn't find anything. Got it from my wife, who was born and raised in Sapulpa.

Dio
11/12/2008, 03:49 PM
I'd like to see how that paper covered the elections in '00 and '04, before I decide whether this is racist or not. That might actually take work on the reporters part, though.

badger
11/12/2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I figured it got talked about but I searched and didn't find anything. Got it from my wife, who was born and raised in Sapulpa.

I didn't mean here, I meant last week when it happened we heard about it :P

Sapulpa wasn't the only one. I think there are few excuses for a local daily newspaper to not cover what everyone is talking about that day, even if it isn't happening in Sapulpa, or whatever.

Don't critique the reporters and their work, though. This was clearly a leadership decision. Smaller newspapers have smaller staffs, so they obviously assigned the limited staff to cover something else... whatever else is going on in Sapulpa on a Tuesday night, I am not sure.

Czar Soonerov
11/12/2008, 04:04 PM
There was a funny thread about that on Fark a couple days ago. From what I can tell, the paper never covers national stories. They mainly cover local events and such, kinda like the Edmond Eve Sun, but even smaller.

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=4010329

Dio
11/12/2008, 04:13 PM
Don't critique the reporters and their work, though. This was clearly a leadership decision. Smaller newspapers have smaller staffs, so they obviously assigned the limited staff to cover something else... whatever else is going on in Sapulpa on a Tuesday night, I am not sure.

Nah, I meant the CNN reporter.

mxATVracer10
11/12/2008, 04:38 PM
I didn't mean here, I meant last week when it happened we heard about it :P

Sapulpa wasn't the only one. I think there are few excuses for a local daily newspaper to not cover what everyone is talking about that day, even if it isn't happening in Sapulpa, or whatever.

Not a damn thing, other than some peeps cooking up some meth :pop:

Whet
11/12/2008, 04:41 PM
from the comments page of KJRH:

brittneya (http://www.kjrh.com/user/default.aspx?id=M-kgOMfRukSo30gYyxclgA) - 11/8/2008
Being a young African American from Sapulpa I was very angry when I heard that The Herald did not report the Historic event that brightened the days of African Americans not only all over the US but 4 blocks from where The Herald is printed daily. The Herald has reported countless one sided stories about my community throughout my life. However saw fit not to report this bright moment in our History. Shame on their poor journalism. The Herald was willing to sacrifice reporting History in order to be one newspaper that was not going to upset the immature or racist McCain supports that just cant handle the loss that they were handed Tuesday night. McCain himself was able to understand how we must feel after not being sure that we would ever see this day. The Herald was asked about the report of Bush wins again 4 years ago but stated that there was a new owner of the paper since then. Needless to say we will no longer read, support or subscribe to the new owners Herald as he has no interest in reporting the History of our people. This is just the beginning of what is to come. I pray for the safety of our President, country, and the African American people as we celebrate what we believe is a step in the right direction towards equality. We may see things get much worst before they get better. Let's see - she/he HEARD about the Herald not reporting the messiha's win, but claims she/he will no longer read the newspaper. If this poster actually received the newspaper and read it, she/he would not need to hear about it!

Seems to me to be just race baiting.....

http://www.kjrh.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=7a12f9bd-67c3-416d-83bd-a63e96959fae&p=Comments

badger
11/12/2008, 04:59 PM
from the comments page of KJRH:
Let's see - she/he HEARD about the Herald not reporting the messiha's win, but claims she/he will no longer read the newspaper. If this poster actually received the newspaper and read it, she/he would not need to hear about it!

It's like people calling papers to complain about stories and threatening to cancel subscriptions they never had in the first place :P

Seriously, nobody would notice that the Herald didn't do this if CNN et al didn't make this into an issue.

And once again, the Herald lost a lot of money by not making a historic edition of their front page by saying what everyone was talking about that day IN SAPULPA AND EVERYWHERE ELSE, so boo hoo to both sides. They both lost.

sooner_born_1960
11/12/2008, 05:04 PM
Actually, it'd be pretty historic to have a newspaper from that Wednesday the didn't have Obama on the front page. I think I'll inquire about a reprint.

My Opinion Matters
11/12/2008, 05:20 PM
There was an election last week?

47straight
11/12/2008, 05:35 PM
Wow. On about 3 levels, I'd have to say.

Kels
11/12/2008, 08:02 PM
I was born and raised there as well.

The lack of coverage and the half-hearted "protest" are of little surprise to me. I mean, c'mon, look at where we are talking about.

The only newsworthiness is that it is completely unnewsworthy.

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 08:17 PM
Dudes and Dudettes.
Its the OWNERS decision to do what the hell he wants . It may or May NOT cost him .
Hell I aint sure the Poteau Daily News and Sun. said much about it .
Course I never figured out why they call It a Dailey when they Only publish 5 issues a week .:rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 08:18 PM
Dudes and Dudettes.
Its the OWNERS decision to do what the hell he wants . It may or May NOT cost him .
Hell I aint sure the Poteau Daily News and Sun. said much about it .
Course I never figured out why they call It a Dailey when they Only publish 5 issues a week .:rolleyes:

I was down in Poteau last weekend.

KABOOKIE
11/12/2008, 08:25 PM
Wow. Obamania to the extreme. Where do I get my party card? :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 08:26 PM
I was down in Poteau last weekend.

And you Didnt Holler ?:mad:

Sooner_Havok
11/12/2008, 08:28 PM
And you Didnt Holler ?:mad:

I didn't know that's where your hill was :(

Curly Bill
11/12/2008, 08:49 PM
How long until we can hear Obama's name and not hear the word historical in the same sentence?

Okla-homey
11/12/2008, 09:15 PM
Damn fine folks over in Sapulpa. I may just have to subscribe to that paper.

oumartin
11/12/2008, 09:34 PM
Good for the Sapulpa newspaper.

KingBarry
11/13/2008, 05:57 AM
How long until we can hear Obama's name and not hear the word historical in the same sentence?

You won't live that long.

A more interesting question is how much celebrating would have gone on had the first black president been a Republican?

Dunno, but I'm gonna guess, let's see, less.

olevetonahill
11/13/2008, 06:21 AM
You won't live that long.

A more interesting question is how much celebrating would have gone on had the first black president been a Republican?

Dunno, but I'm gonna guess, let's see, less.

You are great aint ya ?:rolleyes: