PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental Question

soonerhubs
11/11/2008, 09:22 PM
I want to rent a car to take cross country. From Stillwater to Salt Lake. Is there a company that you've used for such a long trip that doesn't mind the car going across so many states? Some charge extra mileage prices if you leave neighboring states, and I'm trying to avoid that. So far Budget looks to be the best, but I thought there may be an expert on here.

OKLA21FAN
11/11/2008, 09:34 PM
I want to rent a car to take cross country. From Stillwater to Salt Lake. .

Don't do it!!!!!!!

VeeJay
11/11/2008, 09:38 PM
Fro what they're gonna want to charge you for that jaunt, you're better off buying a Lincoln Town car.

soonerhubs
11/11/2008, 10:23 PM
Don't do it!!!!!!!

You would rather me stay in Stillwater for Thanksgiving?:confused:

OKLA21FAN
11/11/2008, 10:32 PM
You would rather me stay in Stillwater for Thanksgiving?:confused:

you should have left a long time ago.:pop:

Lott's Bandana
11/11/2008, 11:38 PM
Is this round trip, not a drop off?

If you rent with unlimited mileage and return to the point of origin, they don't care or even know where you drove.

I'm Avis Preferred Select and I rent often when I take cross-country jaunts, unlimited mileage to South Carolina and California and such places of interest.

If you're gonna go one-way and drop off...you are screwed.

proud gonzo
11/12/2008, 12:05 AM
I think you should do like the guys on "Top Gear" and buy a POS to drive rather than renting :D

soonerhubs
11/12/2008, 08:29 AM
you should have left a long time ago.:pop:

Fellowships, funding, and a faculty member that shares the same research interests has kept me at the school most folks call aggie. I'm still a Soonerfan, and I always will be.

soonerhubs
11/12/2008, 08:30 AM

If you rent with unlimited mileage and return to the point of origin, they don't care or even know where you drove.

I'm Avis Preferred Select and I rent often when I take cross-country jaunts, unlimited mileage to South Carolina and California and such places of interest.

I'll rent and return to the point of origin. I'll look at Avis. Thanks for the heads up.

yermom
11/12/2008, 08:47 AM
i'd look into Priceline

generally any of the big rental places let you do what you are talking about

OU4LIFE
11/12/2008, 08:56 AM
I want to rent a car to take cross country. From Stillwater to Salt Lake. Is there a company that you've used for such a long trip that doesn't mind the car going across so many states? Some charge extra mileage prices if you leave neighboring states, and I'm trying to avoid that. So far Budget looks to be the best, but I thought there may be an expert on here.

Used my AAA card with Hertx here in town, got a nice little Toyota Rav4, for about what the crap budget was offering. Put 3700 miles on it going through kansas, nebraska, south dakota, wyoming, utah and new mexico.

you'll make up the diff for the AAA membership on your first rental from Hertz. We had it for almost 11 days.

Lott's Bandana
11/12/2008, 10:14 AM
Used my AAA card with Hertx here in town, got a nice little Toyota Rav4, for about what the crap budget was offering. Put 3700 miles on it going through kansas, nebraska, south dakota, wyoming, utah and new mexico.

you'll make up the diff for the AAA membership on your first rental from Hertz. We had it for almost 11 days.

Good tip, and...........

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO WITH HOWZIT!!!!!!?????

tbl
11/12/2008, 10:17 AM

The thread should be over after this post. I rent cars all the time on my business trips and you could drive from New York to California and only be charged the standard daily rate, so long as you return the car to the place you rented it.

tbl
11/12/2008, 10:19 AM
i'd look into Priceline

generally any of the big rental places let you do what you are talking about

Sorry... NOW the thread should be over. ;) I now use Hertz exclusively, just b/c we have a business program with them plus its convenient to have one company for multiple rentals, but if you're doing a one timer, go to Priceline and use the "name your own price" option. Lowball the mess out of it and you'll be surprised what you'll get away with. The only bad thing about that is you have to pay in advance and you don't know what company you'll be using, but it'll be a steal nonetheless.

yermom
11/12/2008, 10:25 AM
last time i did it, i think it was $20 a day for a mid-sized SUV with Alamo

it's been a while though

Veritas
11/12/2008, 11:03 AM
I think you should do like the guys on "Top Gear" and buy a POS to drive rather than renting :D
A Top Gear reference? My level of respect for you just ratcheted up several notches.

soonerhubs
11/12/2008, 06:01 PM
Looks like Hertz is the best option for us. Thanks for all the posts folks.

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 06:05 PM
Why do people rent a car to Take on a Trip ?

soonerhubs
11/12/2008, 06:08 PM
Why do people rent a car to Take on a Trip ?

My other cars are a little long in the tooth and I really don't feel comfortable taking it much farther than a 100 mile radius.

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 06:14 PM
My other cars are a little long in the tooth and I really don't feel comfortable taking it much farther than a 100 mile radius.

That makes sense . But wouldnt it be cheaper to Just Buy a newer one ?

soonerhubs
11/12/2008, 06:16 PM
That makes sense . But wouldnt it be cheaper to Just Buy a newer one ?

I don't know how to argue when you start using logic, good sense, and rational thought.

That might be an option.

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 06:41 PM
I don't know how to argue when you start using logic, good sense, and rational thought.

That might be an option.

Now theres a 1st , Me being accused of all that stuff .:cool: