PDA

View Full Version : Travis Lewis earholed Tannehill

Dr. Jelly Finger
11/11/2008, 08:04 PM
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed:

Against the sheep aggies, Box got blind sided by the ultimate slender, Jarvorskie Lane on a peel back block. The crowd moaned and groaned like they always do and a little jabbering took place between our defense and the aggie offense.

One or two plays later, which was barely mentioned by the announcers, #28 absolutley de-cleats Tannehill coming across the middle. He hit him right as the ball was being caught by another receiver (not even in the area) and no penalty was called, which was fortunate.

My point is that it is nice to see our players taking care of their own. Maybe the defense is starting to gel and will play like a cohesive unit for these last 2 games. Also special to see some leadership from a Freshman. I don't totally agree with the way he retaliated, but everyone in that stadium knew that no more cheap shots were going to be thrown. Mission accomplished in my book.

Collier11
11/11/2008, 08:12 PM
As long as the hit isnt malicious, I have no problem with sending a message

Paperclip
11/11/2008, 08:58 PM
YouTube - OU cheap shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Buk1LDp-E)

badger
11/11/2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, that was not one of my proudest moments as a Sooner, guys. Travis is a beast out there, but he needs to learn when and where to unleash.

Scotty
11/11/2008, 09:23 PM
So are you opposed to a pitcher hitting an opposing player after their pitcher nailed one of his guys?

Boomer38Sooner
11/11/2008, 10:08 PM
The game was well in hand....Travis shouldn't have done that. It would have been better just to trash talk at him for a couple plays

Scotty
11/11/2008, 10:12 PM
The game was well in hand....Travis shouldn't have done that. It would have been better just to trash talk at him for a couple plays

I gotta disagree. That is if it was indeed provoked and he was sticking up for his teammate.

Between the white lines, its football people. I think anyone who has played understands this.

The real world is a different story.

of course, this is all just IMO.
:D

Widescreen
11/11/2008, 10:15 PM
It's not like Lane's hit was illegal or a cheap shot. Retaliating for a good play is weak.

SoonerDood
11/11/2008, 10:16 PM
The moral of the story is: Don't **** off Defensive AD.

Scotty
11/11/2008, 10:19 PM
I didn't see the Lane play.. I guess was assuming it was a cheap shot

if it was clean then forget everything i said :D

josh09
11/11/2008, 10:26 PM
Ya, that was a kickass shot, good to know that our D is getting some swagger

achiro
11/11/2008, 11:11 PM
How was that a cheap shot? If the ball is not in the air can't you "block" a reciever?

toast
11/11/2008, 11:13 PM
If Travis had gotten back at Lane that would have been fine. Since Lane can only play one or two plays before getting tired, he was probably on the sidelines knocking cups out of the waterboy's hand.

Scotty
11/11/2008, 11:57 PM
How was that a cheap shot? If the ball is not in the air can't you "block" a reciever?

The ball was in the air

Soonerinatex
11/12/2008, 12:04 AM
yeah, lame.

Not proud of that hit as a Sooner fan (or an NCAA football fan). Especially the taunting. Subtle taunt but nonetheless a taunt.

Had a flag been thrown; automatic 15 yrd. unsportsman, 1st down. We can't afford that kind of senselessness for these last two games.

Being married to an Aggie with 3 Aggie brothers, I can relate to the "earhole" Tannehille got.

Sooner fans remember this: "An enemy of my enemy is my friend"

tulsaoilerfan
11/12/2008, 12:13 AM
That's exactly the kind of attitude and swagger we need back from our defense; you put a questionable hit on MY team mate, then i'm going to knock the **** out of the poor white receiver that has no business running by my personal space; I loved it!!

Soonerinatex
11/12/2008, 12:40 AM
That's exactly the kind of attitude and swagger we need back from our defense; you put a questionable hit on MY team mate, then i'm going to knock the **** out of the poor white receiver that has no business running by my personal space; I loved it!!

Dude, you're ignorant.

Scotty
11/12/2008, 01:17 AM
I think someone's sarcasm meter is broken

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/12/2008, 01:50 AM
It is football...not ballet..**** happens. If you can get away with it...do it.

D. Wade
11/12/2008, 01:54 AM
Was it a personal foul, dang skippy it was a personal foul kind of shot, was it cheap? Didnt look cheap to me, looked darn expensive, because that poor kid Tannehills head is gonna be on a swivel rest of his career he may never catch a pass again. We dont know what was going on that led up to that so we dont know if it was a lil payback for peel back block earlier or maybe he called his momma something. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a little private justice on a football field, and if you say there is then youve never walked between the lines.

olevetonahill
11/12/2008, 03:05 AM
I think someone's sarcasm meter is broken

His spek meter is Now :D

MrJimBeam
11/12/2008, 06:30 AM
Half this board must have played football at either Tulsa Rogers or Western Heights.

Tannehill may have been running his mouth the whole game or taken a shot at Lewis' knees. The hit was not necessarily in retaliation for Lane.

CK Sooner
11/12/2008, 08:36 AM
Half this board must have played football at either Tulsa Rogers or Western Heights.

Tannehill may have been running his mouth the whole game or taken a shot at Lewis' knees. The hit was not necessarily in retaliation for Lane.

Should they just play two touch?

BornandBred
11/12/2008, 09:12 AM
Should they just play two touch?

Seriously! At some point, a receiver has to pay for coming across the middle, that's why it's supposed to take a special kind of WR to do it. It's not like he took out his legs or that it was a helmet to helmet hit, it was a football hit. That is the kind of smash mouth I want to see from my LBs. It wasn't dirty IMO.

insuranceman_22
11/12/2008, 09:28 AM
Nice hit, wish we had more like it. It was an opportunity to put fear into an opposing team and I suspect that it worked. OUr defense needs a couple of animals on it and maybe Lewis is one. He didn't go for the legs or throw a forearm through his head. It was a hard hit, but clean. For those who didn't like it, just remember getting your ankles twisted, your package grabbed, and the guys trying to stick a finger in your eyes in piles when you played. This wasn't like that.

jwlynn64
11/12/2008, 09:32 AM
I don't know how I feel about that. Was it unnecessary? Yes. Was it a cheap shot? Maybe.

If the roles had been reversed and our LB was looking at the other receiver and the aTm player clocked him, it would be touted as a great block.

I'm going to say that it was just an opportunity to hit an opposing player and no revenge or payback was intended. Without knowing the rules exactly, I can't imagine that what he did was against the rules. Most of the time, you don't knock down players that don't have the ball but... I'm not aware of any rule against it.

When you are playing tackle football, you have to be aware of where other players are and protect yourself. I'm guessing that Tannehill won't just run across the middle not paying attention any more. He should send his fee for lesson learned to the OU linebacker core.

1890MilesToNorman
11/12/2008, 09:48 AM
PlantMeInTheHill was a receiver on that play and we chucked the hell out of him, what's the penalty there? He was within 5 yards of the LOS.

kbsooner21
11/12/2008, 09:55 AM
**** Tannehill! It's football people. A collision type of sport. Knock the **** out of all the poosays :D

badger
11/12/2008, 09:56 AM
There's a lengthy thread over on texags.com about this hit. While some are like "CHEAP SHOT! WHERE'S THE FLAG?!" others are all "This is football, grow a set and move on."

As much as I would love our guys to not blatantly cheap shot others, we have had so much trouble with tackling this season that I can understand why Lewis did it - he thought the ball was going to him and may have already arrived based on the way he was moving. They probably have been screamed to death in practice about lazy coverage, missed tackles and everything other reason that :les: BRENT VENABLES MUST BE FIRED NOW [hairGel] for, lol, that it was just on-field instinct.

I don't want that kind of stuff happening, no, but when you've had a fanbase of defense complainers the entire season on missed tackles and blown coverage, how can you really be angry when a guy makes sure he's not blowing coverage or missing a tackle for once?

Collier11
11/12/2008, 10:07 AM
Two things:

He wasnt 5 yds off the line, keep your damn head up

Two, we sit here and b*tch about Texas WR's running wild over the middle of the field and "where are our lb's, where are our Safties", so one of our LB's puts an end to it and we b*tch about that? Some of you cant be pleased...IT's Football!!!

BornandBred
11/12/2008, 10:13 AM
I bet we get a drop or two from this by TTech WR's cause they're worried about coming across the middle and getting decleated. THIS IS A GOOD THING!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/12/2008, 10:14 AM
I thought it was a great hit and well deserved for what Lane did. Box had pulled up as McGee was running out of bounds. If you look at the replay, Box was not going to go after McGee out of bounds and Lane throttles him, and then goes to the sideline. I am all for the hit. What goes around comes around. Even if it was a legal block by Lane, doesn't mean it had to be taken in that situation, but if you want hit, prepared to be hit!

Blitzkrieg
11/12/2008, 10:33 AM
Chill people, we have no idea what happened up to that play, Tranny-hill might have gone for his knee the play before, or simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time. As it was, he prolly got some good oral out of sympathy later that night, so don't feel too sorry for him.

I'll bet the tech WRs have already seen this, and when you see one of them get a case of alligator arms next saturday night, don't be surprised.
If someone does that to #12 for tech (5-8 177 lbs), they'll be taking him back to Lubbuck in a pine box and burying him next to that horse that went crazy and committed suicide by braining itself in front of 56,000 people.

SoonersEnFuego
11/12/2008, 12:06 PM
If you come across the middle, expect shots like that nad keep your head on a swivel.

If there's no flag, it's not a penalty. Flat out.

Within 5 yards, you're fair game.

Boo Frickity Hoo. Now if it happened to one of our guys....I'm sure we'd be singing a different song.

KaleoHolley
11/12/2008, 12:12 PM
This post has been pretty funny; I think you can tell who played sports, and who didn't. I am glad the defense is playing with chip on its shoulder; I don't believe the two hits in question were related.

SoonerBornSoonerBrett
11/12/2008, 12:27 PM
That kind of nastiest is what's been missing from this defense the past few games... we smacked around Cincinnatti... we smacked around Washington... we smacked around TCU... then it kind of went away... maybe it was when Reynolds went out... but it seems to be back and I like it! And KaleoHolley is exactly right... you can tell who's been out there in the trenches and who hasn't... "always keep your head on a swivel"... I say... earhole or be earholed!

SCxxSOONER
11/12/2008, 01:34 PM
I was all for it. I thought it was good to see him sticking up for his guys out there..

oumartin
11/12/2008, 01:54 PM
while I love the hit I think I found the reason our defense has troubles.

We tackle and hit the players w/o the football. ;)

TahoeSOONER
11/12/2008, 02:00 PM
WR wasn't 5 yards off the LOS, duck season....aggie season!

And if you don't know....now you know!

BOOMER!

Blitzkrieg
11/12/2008, 03:12 PM
To date myself, when we used to get a big hit like that we would all start yelling "Stingley, Stingley" (as in Darrell).

fossil
11/12/2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that was not one of my proudest moments as a Sooner, guys. Travis is a beast out there, but he needs to learn when and where to unleash.

:confused: BADGER, just curious. If you really are a Sooner, why the Longhorn avatar and the statement about TexasLonghorns and TexasLidig8r being lord and masters over OU?

jage
11/12/2008, 03:24 PM
:confused: BADGER, just curious. If you really are a Sooner, why the Longhorn avatar and the statement about TexasLonghorns and TexasLidig8r being lord and masters over OU?

I'm sure Badger is tired of answering this so I'll help out. It was because of a lost bet. Lid is a Texas fan, and since texas won this year, Badger has to keep this until the end of the season.

badger
11/12/2008, 03:27 PM

http://i37.tinypic.com/f9qvko.jpg

tulsaoilerfan
11/12/2008, 06:46 PM
To date myself, when we used to get a big hit like that we would all start yelling "Stingley, Stingley" (as in Darrell).

Ouch dude, that's pretty cold right there

tulsaoilerfan
11/12/2008, 06:48 PM
After looking at the video again, the dude was like 2 yards off the line of scrimmage and Lewis planted him a split second after the ball was released; hell players live for hits like that

tulsaoilerfan
11/12/2008, 06:49 PM
Dude, you're ignorant.

Dude you are red

Curly Bill
11/12/2008, 06:50 PM
I thought it was beautiful, and I thought at the time that it might have been in retaliation for the Japorkie Lane hit...and if so that makes it even better.

Charla
11/12/2008, 07:13 PM
If we are hitting anybody on defense I would say that's improvement

silverwheels
11/12/2008, 07:21 PM
A&M is one school that has no right to be complaining about cheap shots. Colt McCoy and Graham Harrell would agree.

8timechamps
11/12/2008, 08:05 PM
Love it!

What's funny is that this **** goes on countless times in any game from high school to the pros, just so happened that Travis did it when the other aggie receiver didn't catch the ball. Otherwise, it would never have been mentioned.

This is football damnit! You get hit, you hit!

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2008, 04:24 AM
Glad to see it.

Yes, a flag should have been thrown, but I am very glad that the hit occured.

Shows some attitude that has been missing from our defense.

Even thought it was an illegal hit, it was not a malicious hit either.

The five yard rule does not matter...even though a flag was not thrown.

This year, if ANY player is in a vulernable situation and is hit like this one...it is a penalty. Tannehill was in a vulernable situation looking back for the ball, that was not thrown to him.

Why? I have not idea, seems to me they are pussifying football more every year...but rules are rules.

azzbakwardz
11/13/2008, 09:33 AM
Ha ha, yeah he lit him up, and since it came after the big tub cheap shot, I assumed it was retaliation, and it was great to see, our D has been missing that killer instinct for a long time now! Should he have drawn a flag, eh, maybe, but they do that a couple times next week and GH will be yelling at his crew on national TV lmao!

jwlynn64
11/13/2008, 11:56 AM
Not looking in front of you is not "being in a vulnerable position"! Being up in the air and not able to dodge or make any move to avoid a hit is?

Still not convinced that what happened was a penalty. Someone please post any rule that says otherwise.

Collier11
11/13/2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, a flag should have been thrown, but I am very glad that the hit occured.

NO a flag shouldnt have been thrown, thats why one wasnt thrown. There was nothing illegal about the hit at all.

If the play was over it would have been illegal but the play was still going on, it may have been somewhat excessive but not illegal

BornandBred
11/13/2008, 12:23 PM
If by excessive you mean he knocked the crap out of him in a completely legal way, then maybe. It was a clean hit on a receiver going across the middle. Debate over.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/13/2008, 12:43 PM
If by excessive you mean he knocked the crap out of him in a completely legal way, then maybe. It was a clean hit on a receiver going across the middle. Debate over.

Werd

Blitzkrieg
11/18/2008, 04:46 PM
Does anyone have this video? anyone? Bueller?

MALE918
11/18/2008, 05:27 PM
All I can say is "it's about freakn' time". If u don't know to keep an eye on your surroundings when coming across the middle then that's your problem.

In the tannehill's defense - if he's been watching game film of our d for the last couple of games, he probably thought he was going to get cup of coco and a foot massage when he came across the middle.

I'm glad we've atleast sent one message - now let's send a few more.