PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Scholarships

Dan Thompson
11/11/2008, 07:46 PM
What is the dollar value of an Athletic Scholarship?

40k -50k each year?

What is included in the scholarship?

Is there such a thing as a half scholarship?

Sooner1979
11/11/2008, 08:14 PM
What is the dollar value of an Athletic Scholarship?

40k -50k each year?

What is included in the scholarship?

Is there such a thing as a half scholarship?

The actual dollar amount varies greatly from school to school...For instance, a full football scholarship to a school like Harvard is more valuable in dollar figures than to a state school...

A full ride to Harvard would be in the neighborhood of 80 to 100K, and a full ride to Oklahoma State University is approximately the same as the #4 on the McDonalds extra value meal...Just sayin'...Just kidding of course...

To answer your question, yes there are such things as a partial scholarship, but not usually in football...I was offered a 75% scholarship to play golf at a William Woods University...It essentially covers 75% of Tuition, Fees, Books and housing etc...It is not a dollar amount, just merely considered a discounted rate on those items...They dont actually give you the money, they just prorate the cost of school according to your scholarship award...This may not be the same for every school, but this is how it was for me...

UTgolfer
11/11/2008, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=Sooner1979;2483218]
A full ride to Harvard would be in the neighborhood of 80 to 100K

Actually a full ride to Harvard would be worth $0....there are no full rides to Harvard as there are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools. Granted a technical point.

Sooner1979
11/11/2008, 10:35 PM

Actually a full ride to Harvard would be worth $0....there are no full rides to Harvard as there are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools. Granted a technical point.

Yes, it is a small technicality, but the premise is still the same...Havard is very expensive to attend, therefore a scholarship to Harvard would have a hire dollar value compared to the likes of OSU or even Oklahoma for that matter...

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2008, 10:41 PM

Substitute Duke or Stanford for a similar point. But regardless of the school, if the kid is there just to play ball and doesn't graduate, the school portion is worth $0 to him.

snp
11/11/2008, 10:54 PM
An athletic scholarship is a grant awarded to a prospective athlete that can be full or partial. A full scholarship will cover tuition, fees, room, board, and books. The value of a scholarship changes from school to school depending on the cost of these factors. Football scholarships used to come with "laundry money" which was a small living stipend and a couple of tickets to home games, which athletes sold to boosters and made a bunch of money, but both are no longer allowed.

D1 baseball only allows 11.7 scholarships. All the players on the team are on partial scholarships. To what degree the scholarships cover depend on the coaches making the numbers work. I received a few scholarships in soccer which covered my books...probably the smallest athletic scholarship offered but I don't know.

D1 football allows 85 full scholarships to be distributed to the players and any player receiving any athletic scholarship to that school and plays football counts towards that 85.

As any college kid/parent knows, college is a lot more expensive than the essentials. A lot of these players come from very poor backgrounds and will struggle to make ends meet on personal expenses. Gas, Walmart supplies, beer money, etc is not included. Yet students who receive academic grants will often receive an extra cash stipend to live on.

WA. Sooner
11/12/2008, 12:02 AM
Do they have to claim it as income? Like when you win the lotto or a car

oudivesherpa
11/12/2008, 09:15 AM
What is the value of an Athletic Scholarship? It all depends. It all depends on how you use it. Depending on the school and how one applies himself/herself the value can range from $1MM to Zero.

The value of an OU scholarship can actually be worth more than a Harvard Scholarship, if one use both his athletic abilites and his intellectual capacities
to leverage their future.

badger
11/12/2008, 10:35 AM
I know this is football, but you just said "athletic scholarship," so here is a very good series of articles on the topic:
NY Times: Expectations Lose to Reality of Sports Scholarships (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html)
Recruits clamor for more from coaches with less (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/sports/11coaches.html?ref=sports)
It's not an adventure, it's a job (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/sports/12lifestyles.html)

I could not find one for 2008-09 immediately, but here is a list of the scholarship limitations for sports set by the NCAA:

2007-08 NCAA scholarship limits. (http://www.petersons.com/education_planner/paying_article.asp?sponsor=2859&articleName=NCAA_Scholarship_Limits)

Div 1 and Div 2 are the only divisions that may award schollys (but of course, some cannot or will not for some sports even if they are allowed to)

I think the NY Times article really puts things in perspective that not all student athletes are what you see on national signing day with basketball and football.

Also, for parents out there seeking athletic scholarship for your kids, remember that there are far more academic scholly out there that offer far more money across the board. Yes, I would love to have a son that plays OU football, but there's only 20 or so offered per season and only 85 at any given time. With those odds, it's better to sit his butt in front of a book.

OUMedMan
11/12/2008, 12:05 PM
I had a kid who had a full ride scholarship in softball to a D-1 school. It was worth about $40 grand a year. When she was there the team won the national championship, so it was a nice adventure all around.

Sooner74
11/12/2008, 12:13 PM
I believe Harvard grants scholies on merit for their football players. So it really doesn't matter because your damn smart anyway.

badger
11/12/2008, 12:49 PM
The lesson from all of this I think is to not invest in a child's athletic career in hopes of a college scholarship, but because it is something that the child enjoys and it enhances his/her education and overall life.

The second lesson is have girls if you want schollys. Pretty much every sport offered at bigger schools gives more girly scholarships because they have to Title IX equalize things out to make up for football scholarships to dudes :D

Dan Thompson
11/12/2008, 12:57 PM
A possible loop hole seems to be, give an OU player a full AS and then give them a partial Academic Scholarship on top of the AS. This way he would have everything paid for and maybe a little Walmart money.

badger
11/12/2008, 01:23 PM
A possible loop hole seems to be, give an OU player a full AS and then give them a partial Academic Scholarship on top of the AS. This way he would have everything paid for and maybe a little Walmart money.

The loophole you're thinking of is called "OHLAP," which stands for Oklahoma Higher Learning Access Plan, a brainchild of a local Tulsa state Senator who wanted every Oklahoma child to be able to attend college if they stayed out of legal trouble, took college prep courses in high school and kept their grades up. While I'm bringing this up...

If your family's income's under $50k and you have a kid in 8th-10th grade, GET INVOLVED IN OHLAP NOW.

Ok... where was I? Oh yes, it's relation to athletics, you ask? Well, it was a concern of Miss State's baseball coach, where states like Georgia and Oklahoma and others would have programs like this for in-state students where they could get tuition waiver and thus, not need to waste a scholly on the player, because he's already covered. It made the playing field unlevel, so to speak.

jneworld
11/12/2008, 02:40 PM
If you have athletic kids, steer them towards football and basketball for boys and basketball and tennis (I think that's the other one) since these are the only mandatory full ride sports.
I'm one of the lucky ones. My daughter signed her NLI with Missouri State this morning to play basketball.

UTgolfer
11/12/2008, 04:00 PM
I believe Harvard grants scholies on merit for their football players. So it really doesn't matter because your damn smart anyway.

Incorrect....there are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools.