PDA

View Full Version : OU needs to beat Texas Tech by at least 15. . . .

OUMedMan
11/11/2008, 02:46 PM
Here's the reason.

Texas beat the Sooners by 10 and lost to Tech by 6 -- so they are a +4 in the total points comparison among the "Big 3" teams.

Right now the Sooners are -10 -- with the game against Tech coming up. To beat the Longhorns total points comparison, they need to beat Tech by 15, giving then a total points comparison of +5

That would leave Tech with a total points comparison of 6-15 = -9.

Now you might protest that this doesn't enter into the equation determing the south representative --

But I would bet that if OU beats Tech but by less than 15 than Mac Brown will be sending e-mails and Fed-ex special delivery to every last voter in every poll pointing out what I just noted.

Fortunately, I think it is extremely likely that OU will beat Tech by at least 15 points -- I'm thinking more along the lines of 63-31

sooner518
11/11/2008, 02:57 PM
I think scoring differentials are pointless and if a voter chooses to use that kind of logic, they shouldn't be voting on college football polls.

OUMedMan
11/11/2008, 03:01 PM
"I think scoring differentials are pointless and if a voter chooses to use that kind of logic, they shouldn't be voting on college football polls."

You might be absolutely right.

However, I suspect that OU might do better in the polls if they beat Texas Tech 77-0 than if they beat them 37-36 in three overtimes on a missed extrapoint by Tech.

But what do I know?

sooner518
11/11/2008, 03:09 PM
obviously a large point swing will look better in the eyes of the voters but to make mathematical equations based on previous games scores and say that a 15 point win is necessary while only a 10 point win won't cut it is stupid. Obviously point differential is relevant to some degree but to come up with a solid point figure like that is inakkrate![hairGel]

rainiersooner
11/11/2008, 03:16 PM
I think scoring differentials are pointless and if a voter chooses to use that kind of logic, they shouldn't be voting on college football polls.

I agree! Most voters should not in fact be voting on college football polls. I simply do not understand their logic.

1890MilesToNorman
11/11/2008, 03:44 PM
We need 35 points in the 1st half and we need to step it up in the 2nd half with another 35 points. Our first halves this year have been awesome but second halves not so much. If we score 70 I think we win even with our supposedly crappy BV defense.

:D :P :D

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull.

humblesooner
11/11/2008, 03:50 PM
Here's the reason.

Texas beat the Sooners by 10 and lost to Tech by 6 -- so they are a +4 in the total points comparison among the "Big 3" teams.

Right now the Sooners are -10 -- with the game against Tech coming up. To beat the Longhorns total points comparison, they need to beat Tech by 15, giving then a total points comparison of +5

That would leave Tech with a total points comparison of 6-15 = -9.

Now you might protest that this doesn't enter into the equation determing the south representative --

But I would bet that if OU beats Tech but by less than 15 than Mac Brown will be sending e-mails and Fed-ex special delivery to every last voter in every poll pointing out what I just noted.

Fortunately, I think it is extremely likely that OU will beat Tech by at least 15 points -- I'm thinking more along the lines of 63-31

You better be careful. You've started thinking like Mack Brown!!!

;)

noobalicious
11/11/2008, 03:53 PM
I'd say if we win by at least a couple touchdowns we are jumping a lot of people by the same logic the pollsters shot Florida right back up. They demolished a Georgia team that was billed as "good" (since they struggled against Kentucky, I would say they are more above average, but still).

They will view us as being on a roll. I mean we've averaged like 61 or 62 points the last 3 weeks. The only game in which we were challenged was Texas. We have demolished some good teams. If we take down Taco Tech in style, we shoot up by the same logic that Florida jumped up.

That being said, easier said than done to take down a team that's scoring about as easily as we are by double digits. :pop:

boomersooner28
11/11/2008, 06:50 PM
I'll just take a win.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2008, 07:07 PM
I agree - we just need a win. This game will be the national game that everyone is watching. The pollster won't be going by the box score they read the next day - they will have watched the game and decided by why they witnessed.

setem
11/11/2008, 07:10 PM
While the task at hand is pretty tough I don't think OUr Sooners have a impossible task on their hands.

If you ask me all they have to do is do better than SAXET did against these two teams and we should be in the clear. Beating HCET is doing better because SAXET lost to them so there is task one. I really don't think this is going to be a shootout like most people think. It will either be a big win for the raiders or a big win for the Sooners. Let's hope for latter, I really think leach and crew are going to flop when they come to Norman.

We need to give a better showing against OSU than SAXET did. I think just winning that game will do the job because it is on the road and they only beat the pukes by 4 at home. I don't think OSU has the D to keep up with our high power Offense. Big win in Stoolwater for the Sooners and we are looking good.

It all comes down to one thing though guys. Just win! If we get screwed oh well there is nothing we can do about. There will still be beer in the fridge and we will all still love the Sooners.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2008, 08:24 PM
none of that point stuff matters..voters don't remember what happened last week much less last month

goingoneight
11/11/2008, 09:41 PM
considering everyone I hear keeps bringing up the OU/TX box score, I'd have to call BS on that one.

The 35-45 loss will haunt us just like the Oregon fiasco did. It's pretty much our gimp.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/11/2008, 09:47 PM
Everyone I hear that brings it up are not voters

Civicus_Sooner
11/11/2008, 09:52 PM
We average like 49 points a game this season and TT averages around 16 points in Norman over the last 10 years.

OU 45
TT 24

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 09:59 PM
Ou 45
TT 35

already had the dream people

Civicus_Sooner
11/11/2008, 10:01 PM
Harrell throws 3 picks

SoonerDood
11/11/2008, 10:09 PM
Didn't they take 'Margin of Victory' out after U$C complained?

OUMedMan
11/11/2008, 10:39 PM
They took the "Margin of Victory" out of the computer calculations.

Not out of how it influences the voters.

OK2LA
11/12/2008, 12:18 AM
I'll just take a win.

Truth! Speak it!

When you start talking about needing to whip an excellent team by "X" number of points - you are setting yourself up for failure.

If you would've asked me if I thought it was possible for our team to get whipped 55-19 by usc - I would've said you were crazy - but we all saw what happened to a pretty good OSU team - you never know what can happen.

Just WIN.

OK2LA
11/12/2008, 12:21 AM
We average like 49 points a game this season and TT averages around 16 points in Norman over the last 10 years.

OU 45
TT 24

I hope you're right, but this isn't your daddy's Texas Tech team. The last 10 years has nothing to do with what happens next Saturday.

The best team that we've played so far held us to 35. I would consider Tech better than Tejas - we will not likely blow them out. (I hope we do, but I don't see it going down that way)

Sco
11/12/2008, 06:36 PM
"I think scoring differentials are pointless and if a voter chooses to use that kind of logic, they shouldn't be voting on college football polls."

You might be absolutely right.

However, I suspect that OU might do better in the polls if they beat Texas Tech 77-0 than if they beat them 37-36 in three overtimes on a missed extrapoint by Tech.

But what do I know?

Apparently not much. In the 3rd overtime, you have to start going for two point conversions after a touchdown. Thus, your 37-36 3OT score could never exist.

Check. Mate. :D