PDA

View Full Version : We're Better at Linebacker Right Now....

Sooner04
11/11/2008, 02:16 PM
Than at any point in the season, and maybe better than at any point in quite a few seasons. As good as Lofton was, Reynolds being continually out of position brought the unit down last year.

Now you've got Box making solid plays which allows Lewis to run amok. It's a fun sight to behold. Those two guys together are REALLY, REALLY good.

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 02:22 PM
Care if I wait until after I watch crossing pattern defense by us vs. Texas Tech to agree with you?

SouthFortySooner
11/11/2008, 02:24 PM
...thats a STREEEEEEEEEEEETCH.

htownsooner7
11/11/2008, 02:25 PM
Your use of the phrase "quite a few seasons" is why I disagree with you wholeheartedly and don't really think its debatable. Last year, Lofton was the conference defensive player of the year. The two years before that, Rufus was. Ingram is also a starter in the NFL.

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 02:26 PM
I'll say this. Linebacker is going to be a strength next year and not a question mark.

Sooner04
11/11/2008, 02:33 PM
Your use of the phrase "quite a few seasons" is why I disagree with you wholeheartedly and don't really think its debatable. Last year, Lofton was the conference defensive player of the year. The two years before that, Rufus was. Ingram is also a starter in the NFL.
Lofton was great, but he played alongside a black hole of indecision.

Quite a few seasons is a stretch. Bad choice of words on my part. Rufus and Ingram were studs.

rondog79
11/11/2008, 02:50 PM
def getting better

fadada1
11/11/2008, 03:24 PM
while i think we're showing monumental improvement, we're still giving up chunks of yards through the middle. most of it is due to being out of position (i.e., overpursuing) and poor tackling.

i think the off week is going to be best for the defensive unit.

My Opinion Matters
11/11/2008, 03:25 PM
Care if I wait until after I watch crossing pattern defense by us vs. Texas Tech to agree with you?

What he said.

htownsooner7
11/11/2008, 04:14 PM
I like the fact that they're young and hungry. We'll learn a lot as we come down the stretch. Here's hoping its Tech, Okie State, Mizzou, and Bama. Wouldn't that be an incredible finish.

Blitzkrieg
11/11/2008, 04:34 PM
I'll bet Box is better is pass coverage that Reynolds, those knees had to slow him down.

Against Aggie is when we'll see what box can do as an undersized MLB.

Harry Beanbag
11/11/2008, 05:01 PM
The best thing about Box and Lewis is that they're both freshmen. They'll be awesome in a couple of years.

BornandBred
11/11/2008, 05:22 PM
The best thing about Box and Lewis is that they're both freshmen. They'll be awesome in a couple of years.

In 2 years I bet we have the best defense in the country. Look at our youth and current productivity. We'll have to stay healthy though. Knock on wood...

CK Sooner
11/11/2008, 05:28 PM

But does Reynolds come back and get his spot back?

BornandBred
11/11/2008, 05:31 PM
But does Reynolds come back and get his spot back?

That makes a solid 3 LB for the 4-3 BV loves to run, by my count.

birddog
11/11/2008, 05:54 PM
In 2 years I bet we have the best defense in the country. Look at our youth and current productivity. We'll have to stay healthy though. Knock on wood...

you got that straight. lots of yutes running round out there.

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 05:57 PM
Wait till we play a good team. Then we actually might be.

bob
11/11/2008, 08:41 PM
As good as Box looks, and he does look good so far, he will likely not get on the field much for Tech and perhaps for OSU. Why not have 4 good linemen and 7 defensive backs on the field.
Don't worry about Tech. We have the prescription for the when we play at home. And they played a near perfect game against OSU. Won't be that good against us and we should score at will. The only thing we have to fear is ourselves (turnovers) which we have been so good at this year.

PalmBeachSooner1
11/11/2008, 08:56 PM
Box is playing lights out. Nice to see him be a season saver.

SoonerFrance
11/11/2008, 08:59 PM
As good as Box looks, and he does look good so far, he will likely not get on the field much for Tech and perhaps for OSU. Why not have 4 good linemen and 7 defensive backs on the field.
Don't worry about Tech. We have the prescription for the when we play at home. And they played a near perfect game against OSU. Won't be that good against us and we should score at will. The only thing we have to fear is ourselves (turnovers) which we have been so good at this year.

Don't forget about Tech's running game. That's probably the biggest difference between this year and years past. Need some fast and sure-tackling 'backers, who can defend both run and pass. Would be surprised if Box doesn't play much.

CK Sooner
11/11/2008, 09:52 PM
Box is playing lights out. Nice to see him be a season saver.

You said he was no good earlier, so how about you just not post about him.

okienole3
11/11/2008, 10:38 PM
The way this linebacker situation has played itself out has been bizarre. Before the season started, I heard from a source close to the program that the key to the defense was going to be Austin Box beating out Ryan Reynolds for the MLB spot.

PalmBeachSooner1
11/11/2008, 11:18 PM
You said he was no good earlier, so how about you just not post about him.

He has surprised me these past two games. I was wrong I'm happy to admit.

boomersoonr7xchamps
11/12/2008, 08:10 AM

Amen Brother....Big difference between Kansas, Nebraska, A & M, and Tech

TXBOOMER
11/12/2008, 08:48 AM
R U kidding? You are basing this opinion off of the juggernaut aTm offense? AB is getting better, but the jury is still out. I personally hope he develops into a Calmus type LB, looks like he has the potential. But, if you already forgot how good Curtis was last year go watch the Big 12 championship game. aTm's offense is not real athletic.

FirstandGoal
11/12/2008, 11:15 AM

+1

Sooner04
11/23/2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.cpulab.com/bb/images/avatars/gallery/Collection/12.jpg

Told ya.

htownsooner7
11/23/2008, 09:34 PM
Still disagree. These guys are playing well, but keep it in context. Great backers here through the years, some of these guys (READ BOX) have only started a couple games. Only give the acclaim when its due, not before.

sooner13f
11/23/2008, 09:46 PM
Still disagree. These guys are playing well, but keep it in context. Great backers here through the years, some of these guys (READ BOX) have only started a couple games. Only give the acclaim when its due, not before.

Not to disagree with you but the thread stated "This year" and I would agree with that statement. LB was a question before the season started Box and Lewis are playing really well.

Sooner04
11/23/2008, 10:25 PM
Still disagree.
I don't know how. Lewis and Box has been worlds better than Lewis and Reynolds.

In pass coverage, it's light years better.

TopDawg
11/23/2008, 10:25 PM
These guys are playing well, but keep it in context. Great backers here through the years,

04 knows more about the history of OU football than 97.3% of the posters on this board combined.

TopDawg
11/23/2008, 10:27 PM
With a healthy and confident (in his health) Murray and a healthy and confident (in his knowledge of the schemes) Box, this team is completely different than the team that lost to Texas.

The humans have noticed...let's hope (we beat OSU and) the computers catch up by the end of next week.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/24/2008, 12:19 AM
can you do something about harris in coverage? although i will say he looked about as close to roy williams as i've seen during the second half...

The Maestro
11/24/2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.cpulab.com/bb/images/avatars/gallery/Collection/12.jpg

Told ya.

Kudos, brother! Linebacker is a complete strength right now. I love the way Austin Box hits people...old school style. Lewis and Clayton played well, too.

And I will be saying this a few times this week...NOW GO DO IT AGAIN THIS WEEK!