PDA

View Full Version : this makes my head hurt and i'm sure it's been discussed but...

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 11:40 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up so bear with me.

one of my best friends is a Texas fan - I'm trying to explain that he needs to cheer for OUr team and he just doesn't get it.

Right now, Tech is in the lead. OU MUST beat Tech and OSU for Texas to have a shot at going to the BIGXII champ game. if OU loses to Tech, we have 2 losses and it's a 1-loss tie between Texas & Tech, so Tech would go since they beat them head to head. If OU loses to Okie Lite, same scenario. I don't know why he can't get that thru his thick texas skull.

My Opinion Matters
11/11/2008, 11:43 AM
I like perpetuating the myth that Texas needs to root for us. In reality, they're screwed. The prospect of Texas fans rooting for our team, and that ultimately being an exercise if futility, gives my soul a boner.

A-M
11/11/2008, 11:44 AM

one of my best friends is a Texas fan - I'm trying to explain that he needs to cheer for OUr team and he just doesn't get it.

Right now, Tech is in the lead. OU MUST beat Tech and OSU for Texas to have a shot at going to the BIGXII champ game. if OU loses to Tech, we have 2 losses and it's a 1-loss tie between Texas & Tech, so Tech would go since they beat them head to head. If OU loses to Okie Lite, same scenario. I don't know why he can't get that thru his thick texas skull.

You answered you own question when you said, "one of my best friends is a Texas fan". :P

OKLA21FAN
11/11/2008, 11:54 AM

just eat a brat in front of him.....he will get it then! :pop:

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 11:56 AM
I like perpetuating the myth that Texas needs to root for us. In reality, they're screwed. The prospect of Texas fans rooting for our team, and that ultimately being an exercise if futility, gives my soul a boner.

A soul boner...heh.

Yeah, Texas can cheer all they want for us. It still might not help them. They all have to feel about as helpless as Buck Burnette these days!

My Opinion Matters
11/11/2008, 12:00 PM
A soul boner...heh.

Yeah, Texas can cheer all they want for us. It still might not help them. They all have to feel about as helpless as Buck Burnette these days!

Texas has virtually no chance of making the Big 12 title game. It's pretty ironic, but they actually have a better chance of making the BCS title game than the Big 12 title game. Which would make about much sense as the BCS process normally makes.

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 12:02 PM
yeah, it still may not help because if we beat the # 1/2 team in teh country (tech) we will probably move ahead of them in the polls and the BCS..but really it's their only hope. we're like Obi Wan.

sooner518
11/11/2008, 12:13 PM
basically the only way Texas gets in is if Tech loses their next two games. If they win out, I'd say they are either headed for the BCS NC game or the Fiesta Bowl.

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 12:15 PM
Actually Texas can get in if Tech wins out and loses in the big 12 championship, and Texas is just sitting there.

I know it was last year, but look what Chase Daniel and the Tigers did to tech last year.

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 12:15 PM
basically the only way Texas gets in is if Tech loses their next two games. If they win out, I'd say they are either headed for the BCS NC game or the Fiesta Bowl.

I disagree. I think the whorns are just about a lock for the Fiesta Bowl and the loser of OU-Tech gets bumped down to Cotton or lower, based on what happens in the Big 12 title game.

And this theory assumes nothing else too crazy happens.

My Opinion Matters
11/11/2008, 12:17 PM
yeah, it still may not help because if we beat the # 1/2 team in teh country (tech) we will probably move ahead of them in the polls and the BCS..but really it's their only hope. we're like Obi Wan.

Here's the thing-we're already ahead of them in the Harris Poll, which is 1/3rd of the equation. Texas's best hope is take advantage of our bye-week and to go absolutely annihilate KU. Should that happen, it's conceivable they'll move ahead of us in that poll. However, if they don't move ahead of us next week and assuming we win our next games they never will. There's no way pollsters will drop us in the polls after victories over TT and OSU.

My Opinion Matters
11/11/2008, 12:18 PM
Actually Texas can get in if Tech wins out and loses in the big 12 championship, and Texas is just sitting there.

Yep. This actually Texas's best chance.

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 12:19 PM
It would be nice to see Oklahoma State get back into the top 10 also.

1890MilesToNorman
11/11/2008, 12:24 PM
Texas is guilty of premature------ well you get the idea, now they have to wait for breakfast to see if she still talks to them.

They had a very tough middle of the season schedule but came up short. It's not as fun to watch as it is to participate.

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 12:27 PM
Bottom line, if we get left out, no excuses from me.

If Texas doesn't, well...tell your safety to not drop a ball floating in the air that hits him in the middle of the chest.

BermudaSooner
11/11/2008, 01:50 PM

Depends upon whether you are talking about Big XII Champ or the Championship game.

To make the Big XII game, Texas MUST have:

1. OU beat Tech. If Tech beats OU, Tech are in--even if they lose their last game to Baylor.

Then must have either:

1. Tech lose to Baylor after losing to us, or

2. OU beats OSU and Texas stays ahead of OU and Tech in the BCS. If OU loses to OSU, Tech are in.

Neither one of these seem likely.

Texas is basically out of the Big XII Champ game unless OU wins the Tech or OSU games on a blown call (ala Oregon or something) and the pollsters move OU down as if we lost. The computers wouldn't recognize the game as a loss, but the pollsters might.

As for the Championship game, Texas needs to be big Booger fans in KC and cheer for Mizzou to beat OU or Tech.

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 01:57 PM

tech has us and baylor. don't think that's gonna happen

CobraKai
11/11/2008, 02:20 PM

It's like trying to teach Calculus to your dog.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 02:20 PM
In my Opinion, Texass has the worst arguement in the case of a 3 way tie. I see no way that Texass goes if this happens. Here is my arguement why OU should go if this scenario plays out. 1. OU had the toughest non conf schedule. (TCU & Cinci). Tech and Texass played absolutely no one in their non conf. 2. OU wouldnt have lost since Oct, where as both tech and texas lost in Nov. 3. Neither Texass or Tech will have a great true road wins against a top 10 to 15 team. OU will if they can win at Stoolwater. Also a win at Stoolwater is alot more impressive then Texass holding on for dear life at home. 4. OU will have beaten Tech who beat Texass. 5. If Texass struggles this week against Kansas, which I think they will, that will be 4 straight weeks that Texass hasnt looked great. Struggled against Okie Light at home, lost to tech, looked horrible against Baylor. OU has destroyed everyone in their path. That is my arguement and it is alot better then Texass fan's " We beat OU head up." Lets just hope these talking heads dont influence any of the voters because it is obvious that they want Texass to go. We will just have to sit back and watch!!!:pop:

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 02:28 PM
In my Opinion, Texass has the worst arguement in the case of a 3 way tie. I see no way that Texass goes if this happens. Here is my arguement why OU should go if this scenario plays out. 1. OU had the toughest non conf schedule. (TCU & Cinci). Tech and Texass played absolutely no one in their non conf. 2. OU wouldnt have lost since Oct, where as both tech and texas lost in Nov. 3. Neither Texass or Tech will have a great true road wins against a top 10 to 15 team. OU will if they can win at Stoolwater. Also a win at Stoolwater is alot more impressive then Texass holding on for dear life at home. 4. OU will have beaten Tech who beat Texass. 5. If Texass struggles this week against Kansas, which I think they will, that will be 4 straight weeks that Texass hasnt looked great. Struggled against Okie Light at home, lost to tech, looked horrible against Baylor. OU has destroyed everyone in their path. That is my arguement and it is alot better then Texass fan's " We beat OU head up." Lets just hope these talking heads dont influence any of the voters because it is obvious that they want Texass to go. We will just have to sit back and watch!!!:pop:

OU has destroyed everyone in their path except TEXASS.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 02:30 PM
I thought that was understood. Sorry!!!

UTgolfer
11/11/2008, 02:40 PM
Here's the thing-we're already ahead of them in the Harris Poll, which is 1/3rd of the equation. Texas's best hope is take advantage of our bye-week and to go absolutely annihilate KU. Should that happen, it's conceivable they'll move ahead of us in that poll. However, if they don't move ahead of us next week and assuming we win our next games they never will. There's no way pollsters will drop us in the polls after victories over TT and OSU.

Here's some advice - take a remedial math course. Per the latest Harris Interactive Poll, Texas' ranking is .8670 and OU's is .8516. Hate to blow up your arguement but its simple math.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 02:43 PM

Let's change perspectives a little bit. Suppose OU had won in October and I was trying to make the same argument you are attempting.

The gnashing and wailing of teeth sounding in, "BUT. .BUT.. we beat you guys in October!" would be overwhelming!!!

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 02:44 PM
Let's change perspectives a little bit. Suppose OU had won in October and I was trying to make the same argument you are attempting.

The gnashing and wailing of teeth sounding in, "BUT. .BUT.. we beat you guys in October!" would be overwhelming!!!

quiet. no one asked your opinion.

;)

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 02:46 PM
So Tech should go then huh Texas fans?????

tommieharris91
11/11/2008, 02:47 PM

We'd be undefeated. ;)

Scott D
11/11/2008, 02:47 PM
Texas only needs us to beat tech and then lose to osu.

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 02:48 PM
So Tech should go then huh Texas fans?????

you be quiet too. you're not making any sense.

tommieharris91
11/11/2008, 02:53 PM
Texas only needs us to beat tech and then lose to osu.

Nope, then they lose the head-to-head tiebreaker to Tceh.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 02:57 PM
If there is a three way tie, it will come down to the best arguement. Sorry that is how it is when there is no playoff. If Texas fans have a better arguement, I would like to hear it. If it is a 3 way tie, head to heads go out the window and you have to look at the entire season. If the only arguement is that Texas should go because they beat OU, then justify why Tech shouldn't go??? I hate to say it but it will be a popularity vote which is ashame. Texas is winning that so far with the talking heads.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 03:06 PM
Soonerbrat why is it so hard for you to follow along?? What doesnt make sense to you??

hink4769
11/11/2008, 03:10 PM
Assuming OU beats Tech and OSU, Tech beats Baylor, and UT beats KU and aTM, and we get a 3-way tie, here's a compilation of various arguments, made by myself and others, for who should go, all are logical and somewhat valid in my opinion. For all you math and physics majors, I think we're dealing with the basic three-body problem (Tech, Texas, OU), which is unsolvable.

1. OU lost on a neutral field, whereas Tech and Texas lost away games. Since away games are more difficult than neutral site games, it comes down to Tech and Texas, therefore Tech should go.

2. OU played the most difficult OOC schedule, beating Cincy and TCU, Tech played an awful OOC schedule, UT played a better one than Tech, but not as good as OU, therefore OU should go.

3. (Assuming OU beats Tech at home by > 15 points) OU beat Tech by alot, and Tech barely beat Texas. So OU>Tech>Texas. OU should go. OR Texas>OU>Tech since Texas beat OU head to head and only barely lost to Tech at home and thus probably would beat them at a neutral site so Texas should go.

4. (Assuming OU barely beats Tech at home) OU's out since they squeaked by Tech who suck on the road. Tech beat Texas so Tech goes. OR Since Texas played Tech close at Tech (where Tech is good) so they would probably win a neutral field game so Texas>Tech therefore Texas should go.

5. Tech was taken into overtime by a middling to bad conference opponent (Nebraska) at home. Therefore they shouldn't be considered, therefore UT should go since they beat OU head-to-head OR OU should go since they are playing better than UT right now.

6. (Assuming OU beats OSU and Tech) OU's playing best at the end of the season so they should go since Tech and OSU are top teams

7. OU lost first so they should go.

8. Florida < Tech/Texas/OU since they lost to a middling conference opponent at home. So we should have an all Big XII NC game (assuming they win the SEC). Using some of the above arguments somehow need to narrow it down to 2 teams.

To fellow OU fans that want to discount Tech, I'm not sure you want to do that. Since UT beat OU head-to-head the three way tie is needed. If the voters aren't thinking about Tech they will rank UT ahead of OU. Also, there are many other arguments that can be made. But hopefully people can see the futility of this exercise and can agree we need a playoff.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 03:17 PM
That is the reason for my name:)

My Opinion Matters
11/11/2008, 03:23 PM
Here's some advice - take a remedial math course. Per the latest Harris Interactive Poll, Texas' ranking is .8670 and OU's is .8516. Hate to blow up your arguement but its simple math.

Here's some advice-sodomize yourself with a broken jackhammer. No one over here is interested is in your hapless attempts at faux intellectual superiority. I meant the Coaches Poll. I got the poles mixed up, something I'm sure has happened to you in the homosexual brothels in Austin that you frequent.

UTgolfer
11/11/2008, 03:26 PM
I meant the Coaches Poll. I got the poles mixed up, something I'm sure has happened to you in the homosexual brothels in Austin that you frequent.

After math I'd suggest a spelling class.

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 03:31 PM
If there is a three way tie, it will come down to the best arguement. Sorry that is how it is when there is no playoff. If Texas fans have a better arguement, I would like to hear it. If it is a 3 way tie, head to heads go out the window and you have to look at the entire season. If the only arguement is that Texas should go because they beat OU, then justify why Tech shouldn't go??? I hate to say it but it will be a popularity vote which is ashame. Texas is winning that so far with the talking heads.

it doesn't come down to an argument, it comes down to who is highest in the BCS poll.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 03:34 PM
Wow!!!!! The arguement comes in with the HUMAN POLLS!!!! Are you sure you arent an aggie soonerbrat??? I am worried about you.

OKLA21FAN
11/11/2008, 03:43 PM
Wow!!!!! The arguement comes in with the HUMAN POLLS!!!! Are you sure you arent an aggie soonerbrat??? I am worried about you.
what kind of an aggie?

Brat has been known to hit both ways. (take that how ever you like) :pop:

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 03:50 PM
It doesnt matter which one, aggies in general are clueless when it comes to how the BCS works due to their unfamiliarity with it:) Only makes sense that soonerbrat might be one in disguise.

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 03:53 PM
It doesnt matter which one, aggies in general are clueless when it comes to how the BCS works due to their unfamiliarity with it:) Only makes sense that soonerbrat might be one in disguise.

i know how the BCS works.

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 03:54 PM
what kind of an aggie?

Brat has been known to hit both ways. (take that how ever you like) :pop:

i'm going to kill you and eat you.

OKLA21FAN
11/11/2008, 03:57 PM
i'm going to kill you and eat you.

like a brat I hope!

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 04:01 PM
like a brat I hope!

giggle. of course :D

from allen, who got this from el texan...remember them?

Oklahoma wins out, has a slightly higher BCS rating than Texas, and wins Big12.

FL loses to FSU, but beats Bama.

NCG: OU vs. TX

we'll be wearing the whites. We don't lose BCS Bowls while wearing the whites.

SoonersEnFuego
11/11/2008, 04:25 PM
I don't think there's a chance in hell UF loses to FSU.

People are saying now that UT will be above us in the BCS even if we win out. They always say that kind of crap...until after we win out. If we make it look like Tech is a bunch of chumps, and beat OSU, there's no way Texas is above us in the BCS at the end of the regular season.

We need to just take care of Bidness.

UTGolfer: you suk at teh interwebs.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 04:38 PM
Hey Brat.... you lucious thing you... that character NCAAisajokebutthejokeisthethinginhishand... called you an aggy!

DON'T TAKE THAT FROM HIM!!!! [hairGel]

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think there's a chance in hell UF loses to FSU.

People are saying now that UT will be above us in the BCS even if we win out. They always say that kind of crap...until after we win out. If we make it look like Tech is a bunch of chumps, and beat OSU, there's no way Texas is above us in the BCS at the end of the regular season.

We need to just take care of Bidness.

UTGolfer: you suk at teh interwebs.

thank you.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 04:42 PM
After math I'd suggest a spelling class.

http://content6.flixster.com/question/52/82/88/5282880_std.jpg

Why Ike... whatevah do you mean?

Maybe the innerwebs just isn't your game. I know.. how about a spelling contest?

bwahahahahahahahahahaah!!!! :D

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Brat.... you lucious thing you... that character NCAAisajokebutthejokeisthethinginhishand... called you an aggy!

DON'T TAKE THAT FROM HIM!!!! [hairGel]

oh groan. n00b called me an aggy.

:oink:

soonerbrat
11/11/2008, 04:44 PM
http://content6.flixster.com/question/52/82/88/5282880_std.jpg

Why Ike... whatevah do you mean?

Maybe the innerwebs just isn't your game. I know.. how about a spelling contest?

bwahahahahahahahahahaah!!!! :D

if I thought the n00b wern't my friend..i don't think i could bear it.