PDA

View Full Version : Squib kick them all?

PalmBeachSooner1
11/11/2008, 03:56 AM
Guys, it is so apparent that we cannot play special teams D even against the sh$*y likes of even ATM. So, should we get into a game against say a Florida, what do you recommend? Personally, I would rather us kick it out of bounds than take the chance at giving up a cheap TD (especially to a top 5 team with athletes).

What does everyone else think?

It is no longer a symptom but a sickness that we have. How does everyone else suggest that we adapt this cancer in what could be a deciding factor in a close BCS bowl game (not to mention maybe a title one)

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 04:17 AM
The problem isnt that we cannot play it, because there have been more times than not that we stopped the returner before the 30 yard line.

However, the problem lies when we start mounting a big lead. It seems our special teams, specifically our kickoff return defense, slacks off. Then they will play 3 or 4 kickoff well, then slack off again.

It is called inconsistency!

Why? Well...I remember listening to the Bob Stoops show last year after DeMarco got injured. There were a lot of fans wondering why Stoops was playing his starters on special teams.

Now you got your answer why he and most coaches do that.

mikee likee
11/11/2008, 09:15 AM
A high bouncing type kick takes a lot of time and allows coverage to get in place..

1890MilesToNorman
11/11/2008, 09:19 AM
Give the opponent the ball on the 35-40 yard line every time? I don't think that is a very good idea. As many times as we score let's keep the traditional approach, sure we might give up another TD or 2 but that is way better then the pressure put on our D by good FP for the other guy.

85sooners
11/11/2008, 09:54 AM
also fake all field goal attempts

Sooner1979
11/11/2008, 10:57 AM
One of the reasons we are having problems with our coverage is because we kick off so damn much...It is not an excuse, but players do get winded running down to cover the kick off after it only taking our offense a minute and a half to score...

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2008, 11:05 AM
I already suggested doing an on-side kick every time against Tech, so I think I'm covered under the patent I filled on it :D

I do like the idea of mixing it up with squib kicks because it throws off the returners blocking scheme. But as long as we are kicking off almost 10 times a game, there is bound to be a good return in there. If 7 of those kickoffs are after TDs, it means we probably have won the game.

badger
11/11/2008, 11:15 AM

and punts, too. Dear LORD we'd be better off having Bradford throw a 50 yd INT than watch our special teams try to prevent a punt returner from getting extra yards :(:(:(

But then... Bradford would have an INT and I would be sad there too :(:(:(

Sooo.... whatever's best for the team, I guess :)

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 12:21 PM
I think its a mental thing now, everybody on kick off team is thinking " I hope I'm not the guy who messes it up."

IT IS ALL MENTAL

soonermix
11/11/2008, 12:47 PM
just kick the darn ball out of the end zone
if our kicker can't do it find another kicker
if we can't do that then introduce our kicker to steroids

oudivesherpa
11/11/2008, 12:56 PM
Just wondering where we rank in Yard allowed per kickoff return, 121st or lower. Is there a D1 team with a greater yards per kick off? If we are averaging giving up 30yds per kick, then kicking out of bound may not be a bad choice, or at least a deep on sides kick.

Sooner1979
11/11/2008, 12:56 PM
I would like to see what our opponents average starting position is after a kick-off...If anybody knows, please post the answer...If the average starting position is at the 35 yard line or worse, then the obvious answer would be to kick it down field and out of bounds...That would eliminate any chance of a TD on a return...

Thoughts?

Sooner1979
11/11/2008, 12:58 PM
Just wondering where we rank in Yard allowed per kickoff return, 121st or lower. Is there a D1 team with a greater yards per kick off? If we are averaging giving up 30yds per kick, then kicking out of bound may not be a bad choice, or at least a deep on sides kick.

We must have posted at the same time...lol

Sooner1979
11/11/2008, 01:09 PM
I did some research and found the following information concerning our Kick Off Coverage Defense:

OU is ranked 109th
OU has Kicked Off 87 times...(10 more than any team and actually about 30 more than most)
OU has had 3 TD's scored on them.
OU's opponent averages 25.89 yards per return.
OU has forced 13 touchbacks.
OU's opponents have 1820 return yards...

It seems to me that the more a team has to kick off, the more likely the opponent has a chance to convert.(<-Thick with Sarcasm)...So the realistic fix to this problem is for OU to quit kicking off, but since that wont happen, maybe we as fans should be greatful that OUr team has to cover so damn many kickoffs...Most teams would love to have to kick off 3 or more times a game, but OU is averaging 8.7 kick offs per game...

Widescreen
11/11/2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think Stoops would squib kick or kick out of bounds regularly. That would be an admission of weakness and Stoops is a pretty stubborn and prideful guy.

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 01:39 PM
He said we might start doing it more. Cant be predictable though, whatever that means lol

ouwapiti
11/11/2008, 02:40 PM
watch the replay of the aggie kickoff return td and watch the guy absolutely wrap up (hold)clapp who would've probably made the tackle........if it had been an OU return there would've been about 4 yellow flags flying!!!!!!!!!

rainiersooner
11/11/2008, 03:13 PM
And I've been saying this for a month now - Shipley's return was benefited by a blatant block in the back which opened up a hole for him. I'm just saying.

Blitzkrieg
11/11/2008, 04:36 PM
Kick it high to the 30, hope for fair catch or the reserve fullback to muff it.

Jacie
11/11/2008, 07:47 PM
Squib kick in the nuts any and all players who whiff a tackle.

Seriously, prior to OUr remianing games the officials should be sent a DVD highlighting the missed calls against the return teams with a note that we will be watching very closely how they call kickoffs from this point on and any lapse on their part will be reported to the league office.

ouwapiti
11/11/2008, 07:53 PM
talk about blatant blocks in the back ......how about shipley's return against ttu.?????....i counted at least two....there were probably more

KingBarry
11/12/2008, 03:32 AM
Squib kick in the nuts any and all players who whiff a tackle.

Seriously, prior to OUr remianing games the officials should be sent a DVD highlighting the missed calls against the return teams with a note that we will be watching very closely how they call kickoffs from this point on and any lapse on their part will be reported to the league office.

I don't want to pooh pooh your idea, but we already report blown calls to the league office. Every week.

Us and the 11 other teams.

Or are you making some kind of a joke?

douxpaysan
11/12/2008, 12:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1hKtYOx_c

douxpaysan
11/12/2008, 12:33 PM
just kick the darn ball out of the end zone
if our kicker can't do it find another kicker
if we can't do that then introduce our kicker to steroids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jN...eature=related