PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Projections....ESPN loves us

josh09
11/11/2008, 12:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlprojection?season=2008&week=11

:rolleyes:

OU-HSV
11/11/2008, 12:28 AM
Obviously they're expecting us to lose at least one of our last games then.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2008, 12:32 AM
Specifically, they see us losing to Tech since the have them in the title game.

salth2o
11/11/2008, 12:32 AM
Sweet. :rolleyes:

Salt City Sooner
11/11/2008, 12:33 AM
edit: Boulder beat me to it.

On the bright side of that projection though, we'd get to blast :les: back to the Stone Age. :D

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2008, 12:37 AM
edit: Salt City beat me to it, but I hacked the space/time continuum :)

I love ESPN picking against us in our next game. Let's open that box of chips to put on the players' shoulders.

OU-HSV
11/11/2008, 12:38 AM
Specifically, they see us losing to Tech since the have them in the title game.

Good point. I didn't even look at that, as soon as I saw us in the Cotton Bowl I closed that browser window

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 01:39 AM
They have been wrong 7 times already this season, their job is pointless.

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 04:23 AM
Who cares about projections?

We already know that the "experts" think OU should not even be a top 10 teams since we lost to Texas. We already know that ESPiN has too much influence on the game that, if they express their opinions long enough, it will come to be.

The only thing OU can control is how they play each game. If they win, then it will work out in the wash. If they lose one or more...then we are headed to Dallas or San Diego.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/11/2008, 08:21 AM
The more I think about the comparison to LSU last year in the aspect of being in the mix but overlooked the entire time is really starting to resonate with me. I wish espn had projected us to go to the alamo bowl for all I could care because we can show exactly how strong this team is in 2 weeks. You know espn is hurting when the bachelor is on a primetime edition of college football live.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 09:41 AM
We already know that the "experts" think OU should not even be a top 10 teams since we lost to Texas. We already know that ESPiN has too much influence on the game that, if they express their opinions long enough, it will come to be.

Actually, I haven't read or heard from one person who has said Ou shouldn't be in the top 10.

and what was it... maybe 3 whole days went by before your fan base started whining and bitching about how "ESPN HATES Ou! ESPN has an agenda against Ou!!! It's a media conspiracy!!!"

colleyvillesooner
11/11/2008, 09:44 AM
Actually, I haven't read or heard from one person who has said Ou shouldn't be in the top 10.

and what was it... maybe 3 whole days went by before your fan base started whining and bitching about how "ESPN HATES Ou! ESPN has an agenda against Ou!!! It's a media conspiracy!!!"

At least it's not our team doing the whining...;)

http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84388

"It's all good," a blase Longhorns cornerback Ryan Palmer said. "Nobody likes us."

As defensive end Brian Orakpo said when told Texas is ranked below OU in the coaches poll, "We are? We beat them handily. Obviously, OU's a great team, and after the loss to us, those guys went on a rampage. But I guess people've got stuff against us."

badger
11/11/2008, 09:45 AM

Lid... grow up. You aren't insulting anyone here by making the "U" in "OU" lowercase.

Doged
11/11/2008, 09:46 AM

It's just hang over from a few years ago when there actually was a feud between the two. Some people still hold a grudge, and honestly I can't fault 'em for that even if I think we get better than average press from ESPN now.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 09:49 AM
Lid... grow up. You aren't insulting anyone here by making the "U" in "OU" lowercase.

Sliced my left pinkie finger with a knife last night. caps key when using a letter on the right side of the keyboard is inconsistent.

Oh.. and if I want to insult people, I certainly know how to do it much more directly.. and effectively.

colleyvillesooner
11/11/2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, he is a ********* lawyer for cryin' out loud.

:D

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 09:51 AM
It's just hang over from a few years ago when there actually was a feud between the two. Some people still hold a grudge, and honestly I can't fault 'em for that even if I think we get better than average press from ESPN now.

Was that the year ESPn was declaring your school the best team in the history of God and college football.. and then, you proceeded to lay an egg against K-State in the Big XII champeenship game, followed by a loss to LSU?

If anything, more often than not, your team gets a bigger pass than most college teams (other than USC).

And yet, every year, the posts come out of the woodwork about how espn "hates" OU !:rolleyes:

Doged
11/11/2008, 09:58 AM
Go back a couple-three more years, Lid. I don't remember all of it, but it lasted a couple of seasons or so before JC and I think it was Kelvin Sampson negotiated a treaty.

badger
11/11/2008, 10:01 AM
Sliced my left pinkie finger with a knife last night. caps key when using a letter on the right side of the keyboard is inconsistent.

Oh.. and if I want to insult people, I certainly know how to do it much more directly.. and effectively.

Ok, then... TRASH TALK CONTEST TIME! :D

Oh Lid, you guys suck so badly. I mean, granted, you did beat us, but everything changes when your defensive QB goes down for the season and we led you the entire game up to that point. Thus, any and all references to that game shall from now on be known as the "FLUKE" that it is.

How, exactly, do you lose to Texas Tech? You guys had the No. 1 ranking in the country and by winning that game, you are ensured the Big 12 championship game. Are you guys just tired of playing Top 10 opponents?

Well well, you are tired of big games. So, I hereby grant you TWO MEANINGLESS GAMES TO END THE SEASON, a used-to-be-ranked Kansas and a used-to-be-good Texas A&M.

I hate to tell you this, Liddo, but you are going to lose one of those games. I'm not going to say which one, because quite frankly, your coaching vacuum does but one thing: SUCK. Thus, I am unsure if you will suck more on the road versus Kansas, where you should have lost back in 2004, or at home against your little brother, where you DID lose in 2006 (btw, if you must lose this time, PLEASE don't have the score be 12-7, because the solider honoring thing at that place is getting annoying, like no other school honors America like play-army).

In conclusion, Texas, you suck. You used to be undefeated, you used to be No. 1, but I clearly see that your season has taken a turn for the SUCK, while we have looked our loss square in the face and said "You know, we're going to just play better and get our No. 1 ranking back." And unlike you, we haven't lost in November, when losses count a lot more.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 10:31 AM
Ok, then... TRASH TALK CONTEST TIME! :D

Oh Lid, you guys suck so badly. I mean, granted, you did beat us, but everything changes when your defensive QB goes down for the season and we led you the entire game up to that point. Thus, any and all references to that game shall from now on be known as the "FLUKE" that it is.

How, exactly, do you lose to Texas Tech? You guys had the No. 1 ranking in the country and by winning that game, you are ensured the Big 12 championship game. Are you guys just tired of playing Top 10 opponents?

Well well, you are tired of big games. So, I hereby grant you TWO MEANINGLESS GAMES TO END THE SEASON, a used-to-be-ranked Kansas and a used-to-be-good Texas A&M.

I hate to tell you this, Liddo, but you are going to lose one of those games. I'm not going to say which one, because quite frankly, your coaching vacuum does but one thing: SUCK. Thus, I am unsure if you will suck more on the road versus Kansas, where you should have lost back in 2004, or at home against your little brother, where you DID lose in 2006 (btw, if you must lose this time, PLEASE don't have the score be 12-7, because the solider honoring thing at that place is getting annoying, like no other school honors America like play-army).

In conclusion, Texas, you suck. You used to be undefeated, you used to be No. 1, but I clearly see that your season has taken a turn for the SUCK, while we have looked our loss square in the face and said "You know, we're going to just play better and get our No. 1 ranking back." And unlike you, we haven't lost in November, when losses count a lot more.

Excuses... excuses... excuses.. excuses..

and saying "Texas sucks" is the best you can do?

Badj.. Badj... Badj.. I expected much more from you. :(

badger
11/11/2008, 10:40 AM
Excuses... excuses... excuses.. excuses..

and saying "Texas sucks" is the best you can do?

Badj.. Badj... Badj.. I expected much more from you. :(

I could have said Texas is dumb...
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Vince-Young_0.jpg
...or Texas is ugly...
http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/colt/ColtMcCoy120mug.jpg
...or Texas is high...
http://www.theheismanwinners.com/images/Ricky_Williams_2.jpg
...or Texas is drunk driving...
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/49/494229.jpg
... or Texas is stealing...
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/389860m.jpg
But hey, I decided to just simplify, because all of those things undoubtedly SUCK.

KingBarry
11/11/2008, 10:57 AM
Go back a couple-three more years, Lid. I don't remember all of it, but it lasted a couple of seasons or so before JC and I think it was Kelvin Sampson negotiated a treaty.

As I recall, it goes back to the firing of Hwrd Smllsofbrbn. (misspelling intentional to avoid asterisks.) Smllsofbrbn had a lot friends who were big shots at ESPN, we fired him after one season, he was humiliated and whined to his ESPN buddies, and they held it against us for a few years.

Again, best as I recall, I don't think the College Football Gameday guys picked us to win one big game in the 2000 national championship run.

On a side note, the fear that the media "hates OU" is deeply ingrained in Sooners fans, and has been a sore point for decades. This may apply to most all college teams, or be unique to us, i can't say.

But I can offer a theory as to why we fear that the press hates us. Fact is we are a small, mostly rural, state. We are not well known for many things, and we are a small media market.

We are well known for football, and as one of our strongest points of state pride, we jealously guard our reputation. I think that's the first factor. The Second factor is that it is a fact that the media tends to love the local team, and we don't have any big time media in our corner. Unlike other sports, the media plays a direct role in determining the success of a college football program, so keeping them accountable is very important for us.

In one sense, I don't care what the media thinks. But, I do have to recognize that there have been and will be years when OU was and will be overlooked for the national championship just because someone is trying to get a trophy to a big market school (for ex: USC, Notre Dame, Texas...)

In fact, I fear that if this year we win out, we will likely get hosed in the BCS in favor of Texas. In a three way tie, the BCS ranking determines who goes to the Big XII Championahips, so the ranking is decisive. Don't get me wrong. There are very good reasons why Texas, in that scenario, could be ranked ahead of us. What i am talking about is that voters may not carefully consider all the facts, and then cast a well thought out vote for Texas. What I am talking about is some voters will, deep down, want to have Houston, and San Antonio and DFW turned on to the BCS title game, rather than OKC, Tulsa and Lawton, and will therefore give Texas the nod without fully considering OU's case.

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 11:00 AM
I could have said Texas is dumb...
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Vince-Young_0.jpg
...or Texas is ugly...
http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/colt/ColtMcCoy120mug.jpg
...or Texas is high...
http://www.theheismanwinners.com/images/Ricky_Williams_2.jpg
...or Texas is drunk driving...
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/49/494229.jpg
... or Texas is stealing...
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/389860m.jpg
But hey, I decided to just simplify, because all of those things undoubtedly SUCK.

We have dropped the ball there. We're trying to learn how to steal coats during bowl weeks.. or steal gasoline... or have all of our kids "work" at car dealerships... one day, we hope to be banned from bowl games and television too!!! :D

;)

badger
11/11/2008, 11:14 AM
We have dropped the ball there. We're trying to learn how to make BCS bowl weeks.. or steal televisions... or have all of our kids "work" instead of get coddled by alumni and coaches... one day, we hope to be in a bowl game and television too that isn't live from San Diego or Pasadena for once!!! :D

;)

The best part of you quoting my entire posts is that all Texas insults get to be posted twice :D

But hey, I understand - you're just a clueless as Mack Brown, right?
http://kermittheblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/brown.jpg
:D

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 12:43 PM
The same Mack Brown that has pwn3d OU 3 out of the last 4 years?

colleyvillesooner
11/11/2008, 12:59 PM

Yep. And Vince, err, I mean Mack parlayed that into, count em, 1 Big 12 Championship. Nicely done.

Mack agrees with Bob, the goal is the Big 12 Championship, not beating OU or TX.

badger
11/11/2008, 01:25 PM
Yep. And Vince, err, I mean Mack parlayed that into, count em, 1 Big 12 Championship. Nicely done.

Mack agrees with Bob, the goal is the Big 12 Championship, not beating OU or TX.

Thanks Colley. I would have said about the same thing had I not been out working at the moment :D

Lid, just go get Herr. I had much better luck going against him in bets even if the odds were a lot worse against me (weird how that works, eh?). Besides, you obviously need backup because your arguments aren't working, much like Mack's begging to go to a BCS game won't work one month from now :D

jwlynn64
11/11/2008, 01:35 PM

2008 35 - 45
2007 28 - 21
2006 10 - 28
2005 12 - 45

Three wins, yes. Pawning OU... I don't think so.

Looking at the scores, a person might think that the games were more one sided than they actually were. But unless you are into revisionist history, this year and 2006 were not decided until late into the 4th quarter.

bosworthsteroidmafia
11/11/2008, 02:15 PM
:pop:

smells like 2006 in here...

lid's just bitter that texass was in the driver's seat, but now OUr destiny is back in our own hands...

TexasLidig8r
11/11/2008, 02:38 PM
:pop:

smells like 2006 in here...

lid's just bitter that texass was in the driver's seat, but now OUr destiny is back in our own hands...

Homeslice. you been sippin at the steroid juice again?

Yours, and Texas' destiny is the hands of the computers and pollsters. You can win out, and contrary to everyone's opinion on this site, you may not jump Texas and go to the Big XII title game.

bosworthsteroidmafia
11/11/2008, 03:30 PM

Yours, and Texas' destiny is the hands of the computers and pollsters. You can win out, and contrary to everyone's opinion on this site, you may not jump Texas and go to the Big XII title game.

No, I gave that stuff up for philanthropy. Since you're probably unfamiliar with the concept because of all the high character guys (no pun intended) you get to root for down there, here is an example of my latest contribution:

http://sportsbybrooks.com/brian-bosworth-helps-to-rescue-trapped-woman-18668

Either way, you get to play a couple meaningless games while we can make a strong case for the NC.

colleyvillesooner
11/11/2008, 03:42 PM

This is very true. Especially with Mack preparing to dust off the ol' 2004 BCS Bowl Committee Fellatio machine