PDA

View Full Version : BCS guru Brad Edwards clears things up (sort of)

PDXsooner
11/10/2008, 05:21 PM
Norman, OK: If OU beats Tech and OSU, will the computers give OU a big enough gap to overcome Texas?

Brad Edwards : Because Texas played Missouri in conference, and OU played both Cincinnati and TCU out of conference, I think the schedule strength will end up being fairly similar, which would make the computer rankings pretty much a wash. The key will be the polls. My gut feeling is that the voters will realize Tech is out of the running and reward Texas for its head-to-head win over OU. But I can also see a lot of voters ignorning that if the Sooners are really impressive in winning those last two games.
__________________________________________________ _____________

john (cincinnati): brad, big what if question...what if mizzou beats one loss texas in big 12 championship? the sec champ is one loss florida over bama in close game, usc, okla and texas tech all have one loss and utah is unbeaten. who plays florida in bcs title???

Brad Edwards : I think it would be between Oklahoma and USC. But even if the voters put USC one spot higher than OU, the Sooners' computer numbers might be enough to make up the difference.

Michael (Long Beach, CA): Brad, you seem to be the only person at ESPN to give OU a chance. I know they lost to Texas, but that was a close game and the Sooners were leading half way through the 4th. Running the table should count for something.

Brad Edwards : Most of the people I hear and read are assuming Oklahoma will win the tiebreaker because of that momentum. It'll sure be interesting.

Bill (Charlotte): Help me understand something. Everyone keeps using the logic, if OU wins out (beating Tech), Texas should be ranked higher due to the head-to-head win. Why is this logic only invoked in the OU/UT scenario. Using the same logic, Texas can't be ahead of Tech due to the loss and Tech can't be ahead of OU due to the head-to-head loss. Shouldn't it then come down to who is playing best at the end of the season?

Brad Edwards : Oklahoma's hope is that most voters will see it that way. My belief, though, is that Tech would fall behind both Texas and OU on Nov. 23, making it clear to voters that the real decision is between the Horns and the Sooners.

SteelClip49
11/10/2008, 05:23 PM
and here we all thought 2001 was screwed up.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 05:25 PM
Interesting. So if we win by TOO much against Tech can it actually hurt us?

Crazy stuff.

PDXsooner
11/10/2008, 05:27 PM
Here's another good response to an idiotic question.

Matt (NJ): When is the BCS going to add a rule which requires that a team win their conference (if they're in one) in order to play for the national championship? Seems like a no-brainer to me, and that would've avoided two controversies in 2001 and 2003, when a Big 12 team got in depsite losing its championship game.

Brad Edwards : Here's why they don't have such a rule (and never should). What if Missouri beats Texas for the Big 12 title, and Oregon State wins out, taking the Pac-10 championship? Who plays the SEC champ for the BCS title? If a rule said only conference champions were eligible, that means a one-loss Penn State would go instead of a once-beaten Oklahoma, Texas Tech or USC. I don't think that would be much of a service to college football fans.

crawfish
11/10/2008, 05:28 PM
My favorite scenario: Alabama and Florida lose one of their next 2 games; Florida beats Alabama in the SEC title game. USC loses one of its remaining games. OU, Texas and Tech end up in a three-way tie: Texas gets the higher BCS ranking but loses to MU in the championship game.

OU vs. Tech in the title game - the third- and fourth-place finishers in their own conference. :D

hink4769
11/10/2008, 05:30 PM
Interesting. So if we win by TOO much against Tech can it actually hurt us?

Crazy stuff.

I think he was saying that voters would account for the fact that Texas lost on the road, and Texas would have most likely beat Tech on a neutral field or in Austin.

crawfish
11/10/2008, 05:35 PM
Let's hope KU or A&M keep it close vs. the whorns.

Or Mizzou pulls off the upset.

Boomer.....
11/10/2008, 05:42 PM
We just need to win. That will be tough enough.

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2008, 06:01 PM
Matt (NJ): When is the BCS going to add a rule which requires that a team win their conference (if they're in one) in order to play for the national championship? Seems like a no-brainer to me, and that would've avoided two controversies in 2001 and 2003, when a Big 12 team got in depsite losing its championship game.

I have a slightly different answer: Conference championships are completely separate entities from national championships. Neither have anything to do with the other. You don't even have to be a member of a conference to play for a national championship.

In fact, the whole logic that a team cannot play for the national title unless they won their conference completely baffles me. I see no logic for such reasoning.

Frozen Sooner
11/10/2008, 06:27 PM
I have a slightly different answer: Conference championships are completely separate entities from national championships. Neither have anything to do with the other. You don't even have to be a member of a conference to play for a national championship.

In fact, the whole logic that a team cannot play for the national title unless they won their conference completely baffles me. I see no logic for such reasoning.

Neither do I.

You don't have to be a conference champion to win the national title in basketball, for example.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 06:30 PM
good point

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 06:46 PM

I agree. The way I look at it, since not all conf's play this game and some teams do not even belong to a conf., to me it's just an extra game.

85Sooner
11/10/2008, 06:49 PM
Texas lost AT tech.
We lost at a neutral site and
yes the computers do factor that in.

MojoRisen
11/10/2008, 07:07 PM
Mizzou doesn't = TCU and Cincinatti

They = TCU

Computers don't think they compute.... Coaches will not drop us behind Texas if we win out... Computers we should pass them. That would only leave Texas the Harris poll.

We have been rated ahead of Texas for the last 2 weeks in the coaches poll we are getting ready to play the team that beat them... how could they drop us??? If they were going to drop us they should have done that shiate this week....

BCS is going to come down too a bunch of whiney, BS Politics once again... Time for a playoff - there will be several 1 loss teams this year with a complaint.

auto
11/10/2008, 07:09 PM
I think if we win out we get hosed and can only hope Mizzou to beat Texas, which will not happen.

mdklatt
11/10/2008, 07:13 PM

Please tell this to Pete "Whiny Bitch" Carroll.

BigGobbler
11/10/2008, 07:19 PM
I've been breaking down the BCS numbers and I don't see any way we don't pass Texas if we win out. The computers will vault us past them and if we can just keep it close in the human polls we will be fine. The difference in the human polls will be tiny... it's all about the computers now.

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 07:29 PM
I've been breaking down the BCS numbers and I don't see any way we don't pass Texas if we win out. The computers will vault us past them and if we can just keep it close in the human polls we will be fine. The difference in the human polls will be tiny... it's all about the computers now.

Well if you call 66 and 2/3's % small, I'm with ya.

MojoRisen
11/10/2008, 07:40 PM
Dude, if we do not pass both Florida and Texas in the computers it will be an absolute farse...

Media can politic all they want - but the story would be droping Oklahoma in the polls after beating the #2 team in the Country, that beat the team they are considering ranking ahead of them just 3 weeks prior.

The harris poll did it too us, I don't think the coaches will do it too us seeing as that would be = and leave it to the computers...

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 07:52 PM
Dude, if we do not pass both Florida and Texas in the computers it will be an absolute farse...

Media can politic all they want - but the story would be droping Oklahoma in the polls after beating the #2 team in the Country, that beat the team they are considering ranking ahead of them just 3 weeks prior.

The harris poll did it too us, I don't think the coaches poll will do it too us seeing as that would be = and leave it to the computers...

Harris poll, former coaches, players, and media.
Coaches poll, coaches do not even vote. Left up to GA'
s, etc.

Pick your poison

MojoRisen
11/10/2008, 08:29 PM
I think if the coaches or GA's were going to F us they had there opportunity this weekend..

This is a bad time for a bye week, gives them the chance to drop us... If we stay 4th in the coaches poll after this weekend- we have clear sailing...

BigGobbler
11/10/2008, 08:33 PM
I think if the coaches or GA's were going to F us they had there opportunity this weekend..

This is a bad time for a bye week, gives them the chance to drop us... If we stay 4th in the coaches poll after this weekend- we have clear sailing...

The nice thing is that Texas has a bye when we play Texas Tech... It would be difficult to vote Texas over us after we handle Tech while they are sitting at home.

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 08:45 PM
Not so much worried about the coaches poll. The Harris poll, on the other hand is another thing. The media tends to vote for flavor of the weekend. It will be interesting to watch when the polls come out next sunday. What herbie say's over the weekend will influence the Harris poll. JMO

Hornlaw
11/10/2008, 10:00 PM
I
think if the coaches or GA's were going to F us they had there opportunity this weekend..

So ... you're hoping that your margin of victory over BYE will get you through the weekend?

The nice thing is that Texas has a bye when we play Texas Tech... It would be difficult to vote Texas over us after we handle Tech while they are sitting at home.

So ... you're hoping that Texas' margin of victory over BYE won't get them through the next weekend?

Not so much worried about the coaches poll. The Harris poll, on the other hand is another thing. The media tends to vote for flavor of the weekend. It will be interesting to watch when the polls come out next sunday. What herbie say's over the weekend will influence the Harris poll. JMO

So ... what some hack for ESPN says will actually influence the outcome of the Big XII South Division race?

My God. How arbitrary can you get? What sort of alternate universe are we living in where the outcome of the Big XII South Division depends on the opinion of Kirk Herbstreit and/or the timing of a particular team's bye weekend? This is pure madness. We fans and donors need to make it clear to our respective presidents (Powers and Boren) that we will not tolerate this situation and we demand a playoff. I'm so upset and mad right now that I am going to write a letter to Pres. Powers informing him that I will not make another academic donation to UT until he changes his position.

PDXsooner
11/10/2008, 10:31 PM
great, you can write a letter while we're hoisting the crystal ball

Hornlaw
11/10/2008, 10:49 PM

What? You can't be serious. Even if, and that's a big if, OU makes it to Miami, odds are the Sooners will lose yet another BCS game (5th in a row).

tigepilot
11/10/2008, 10:54 PM
What? You can't be serious. Even if, and that's a big if, OU makes it to Miami, odds are the Sooners will lose yet another BCS game (5th in a row).

How many BCS bowls has Texas been to?

Just wonderin'

Hornlaw
11/10/2008, 11:28 PM
How many BCS bowls has Texas been to?

Just wonderin'

Mack: 2 BCS Bowls
Stoops: 6 BCS Bowls

Nice way of saying:
Mack 2-0
Stoops 2-4

Is adding four losses really more impressive?

BigGobbler
11/10/2008, 11:29 PM

haha.... i love it

PDXsooner
11/10/2008, 11:45 PM

oh? are those the odds? odds are you can book your tickets to san diego ---- again!

Easting
11/11/2008, 12:09 AM
Will teh computers try to divide by zero and lock up if we win out?

Hornlaw
11/11/2008, 12:11 AM
o
h? are those the odds? odds are you can book your tickets to san diego ---- again!

Nope, my calendar is filled. Already booked for KC 12/05 - 12/07 and Miami 1/07 - 1/09. I am certain the Horns will leave Miami victorious, something to the tune of, um, 55-19.

PDXsooner
11/11/2008, 12:18 AM
o

Nope, my calendar is filled. Already booked for KC 12/05 - 12/07 and Miami 1/07 - 1/09. I am certain the Horns will leave Miami victorious, something to the tune of, um, 55-19.

is that 2004 smack? wow, good reach. hope your ebay account is ready to unload those tickets. the 'horns only hope to win the big 12 is resting with the voters. it must suck to be powerless at this point. at least you're used to it...

tigepilot
11/11/2008, 07:24 AM
Mack: 2 BCS Bowls
Stoops: 6 BCS Bowls

Nice way of saying:
Mack 2-0
Stoops 2-4

Is adding four losses really more impressive?

Well, yeah!

It's better to be there and lose than to not be there at all. Three of the SIX BCS bowl games were actual national title games too. I see Mack's only been to 2 total. Whorens are even given the chance to lose 4 times in a row.

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 08:06 AM
Calm down people.

First order of bizness is simple. WIN WIN WIN!

Second order of bizness is out of our hands.

Screw Brad Edwards or any of the otehr "experts" at ESPiN! ESPiN has an agenda, and that is to put Florida in the NCG at any cost! Let me break this down for you....

Which looks better? Finishing the season @ Kansas and hosting Texas A&M...or...Hosting #2 Texas Tech and finishing @ #13 Oklahoma State?

Keep that in mind.

1. The coaches poll may drop us if Texas beats Kansas handily in Lawerance. However, if they struggle, USC (if they roll) may end up jumping Texas. If Texas does jump OU...OU wins against Tech, even if it comes down to the last possession, OU will jump Texas right back the following week. If we beat Okie Lite, there is not way in hell that they could jusitfy jumping Texas over OU!

2. The Harris Poll is a ****ing joke. It has been since it arrived on the scene. When a poll votes for Duke and any other team that does not belong near the top 50, let alone the top 25, how can you call this poll legit? With that said, the voters of the Harris poll would have a lot of explaining to do if OU beats both Tech and OSU and keeps Texass ahead of OU.

3. If OU wins out, the computers propell OU ahead of Texas. OU's future SOS is projected to be in the top 10, while Texas' is outside the top 30.

4. If OU wins out gets to the CCG and wins, OU may end up being #1 in the nation while gearing up top play either Alabama or Florida!

Right now, OU controls their own destiny. Win, you are in. Lose, pack up for either Dallas or San Diego! Ironic how we were controlling our destiny last year until we played Texas Tech. People want a reason that OU wins...Not Revenge, it's Redeemption!

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 08:10 AM
BTW, Texas @ Kansas is only their third real road game. @ Colorado, @Tech, and @Kansas. They did travel to UTEP, but come on...that is like us traveling to Tulsa and calling it a road game.

Harry Beanbag
11/11/2008, 08:39 AM
BTW, Texas @ Kansas is only their third real road game. @ Colorado, @Tech, and @Kansas. They did travel to UTEP, but come on...that is like us traveling to Tulsa and calling it a road game.

You realize it's further from Austin to El Paso than it is from Norman to Boulder?

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 08:43 AM
You realize it's further from Austin to El Paso than it is from Norman to Boulder?

You do realize the amount of fans that traveled to UTEP that supported Texas was more than UTEP fans had at the game, right?

It is not about distance, it is about being in state and having the State's Premiere College Football team playing and their fans outnumbering the host's fans!

Like I said, much like it is when we travel to Tulsa....Still a road game, but way more OU fans than Tulsa Fans!

Harry Beanbag
11/11/2008, 08:45 AM
You do realize the amount of fans that traveled to UTEP that supported Texas was more than UTEP fans had at the game, right?

It is not about distance, it is about being in state and having the State's Premiere College Football team playing!

Like I said, much like it is when we travel to Tulsa....Still a road game, but way more OU fans than Tulsa Fans!

You can say the same thing about OU playing in Stillwater, but I consider that a road game. :)

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 08:49 AM
You can say the same thing about OU playing in Stillwater, but I consider that a road game. :)

Consider it anyway you wish. Texas playing at UTEP may take some travel time and expenses, but the game still is a vast advantage for Texas.

Whereas, when we travel to OSU, it is usually pretty tough...and there are more OSU fans there than OU fans.

o0Dan0o
11/11/2008, 01:03 PM
Screw a playoff for the NC, we need one for the Big 12...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/11/2008, 02:00 PM
Well if you call 66 and 2/3's % small, I'm with ya.

Somewhat misleading though. The computers are only 1/3 of the average but a decent margin in the computers can overcome slight margins in the human polls....and certainly vice versa.

If say OU finishes just behind Texas in both polls but only by a narrow margin of points then the computers can make up the difference.

CobraKai
11/11/2008, 02:10 PM
So ... what some hack for ESPN says will actually influence the outcome of the Big XII South Division race?

My God. How arbitrary can you get? What sort of alternate universe are we living in where the outcome of the Big XII South Division depends on the opinion of Kirk Herbstreit and/or the timing of a particular team's bye weekend? This is pure madness. We fans and donors need to make it clear to our respective presidents (Powers and Boren) that we will not tolerate this situation and we demand a playoff. I'm so upset and mad right now that I am going to write a letter to Pres. Powers informing him that I will not make another academic donation to UT until he changes his position.

I agree completely. The only other sports like this are competitive cheerleading, gymnastics, figure skating, and diving. Any sport where you have to wait for a judge to decide who is deserving of a higher score is kind of bogus in my mind.

hink4769
11/11/2008, 02:40 PM
Screw a playoff for the NC, we need one for the Big 12...

OU and UT should goto different divisions, and the Big XII should goto that rivalry format the SEC uses. I can see this happening again where the OU-UT winner loses later in the season and gets sent down to the bottom of the one-loss pack and the loser of the RRS goes to the Big XII championship. Could happen to OU. That would suck ***.

colinreturn
11/11/2008, 02:52 PM
My favorite scenario: Alabama and Florida lose one of their next 2 games; Florida beats Alabama in the SEC title game. USC loses one of its remaining games. OU, Texas and Tech end up in a three-way tie: Texas gets the higher BCS ranking but loses to MU in the championship game.

OU vs. Tech in the title game - the third- and fourth-place finishers in their own conference. :D

genius

PDXsooner
11/11/2008, 02:56 PM
OU and UT should goto different divisions, and the Big XII should goto that rivalry format the SEC uses. I can see this happening again where the OU-UT winner loses later in the season and gets sent down to the bottom of the one-loss pack and the loser of the RRS goes to the Big XII championship. Could happen to OU. That would suck ***.

yeah, but what happens if texas or OU goes into another blake-style slump and nebraska starts to get good agai.....oh wait...never mind.

mdklatt
11/11/2008, 03:06 PM
OU and UT should goto different divisions, and the Big XII should goto that rivalry format the SEC uses.

While we're at it we can just mix everyone up like the ACC does and have "Big" and "Twelve" divisions. Meh.

Harry Beanbag
11/11/2008, 04:50 PM
Consider it anyway you wish. Texas playing at UTEP may take some travel time and expenses, but the game still is a vast advantage for Texas.

Whereas, when we travel to OSU, it is usually pretty tough...and there are more OSU fans there than OU fans.

You totally missed my aggie joke. :(

hink4769
11/11/2008, 04:57 PM
While we're at it we can just mix everyone up like the ACC does and have "Big" and "Twelve" divisions. Meh.

Big Division
OU
OSU
Nebraska
Kansas
KSU
Iowa State

XII Division
Texas
aTm
Tech
Missouri
Colorado
Baylor

I think the above would work. Have OU-TX, KU-MU, NU-CU play every year, the others can switch off their rivals or something.

cvsooner
11/11/2008, 06:14 PM
I agree completely. The only other sports like this are competitive cheerleading, gymnastics, figure skating, and diving. Any sport where you have to wait for a judge to decide who is deserving of a higher score is kind of bogus in my mind.

So...what about boxing? Or martial arts?

Scott D
11/11/2008, 06:34 PM

While you're at it why don't you send a letter to UT Alumni to push for the employment of Brian Britt as your assistant band director.