PDA

View Full Version : Rece Davis' ******ry

SteelClip49
11/10/2008, 05:16 PM
I am on the ESPN site and looking at the Pontiac whatever chat and this was said......

Kellen (Boston): If OU wins their next two top 15 matchups, would that be enough in your eyes to move them ahead of Texas?

Rece Davis: Nope. Midseason loss..neutral field. The only scenario under which I would think it would be justified is if Texas isn't the same team it was when it played OU. By that I mean, season ending injury,suspension, etc that removed either a major part or several key components..of the Longhorn team.
I'm also more lenient if a team drops a head to head game in the first couple of weeks of the season, then progresses to the point where it's obvious that they're better than the team that beat them. That's very subjective I realize. In my estimation, there's simply no way for that to happen in the OU-Texas debate. Horns won the game. That's enough for me.

Feddy (San Diego): Rece, please give me a reason why Florida should be close to TX and ranked ahead of OU? They lost to Ole Miss at home and we saw this week that UGA was overrated. No way their schedule compares to OU who played TCU and Cinn non-conference.

Rece Davis: I don't buy the retro thinking of Georgia being overrated. Now, the Dogs didn't live up to expectations...and they've had injuries. You make a fair point about the non-conference schedule although the Gators still have Florida State to go. Also, after some of those Ole Miss OL and DL are playing in the NFL in a couple of years, let me know if you think that was such a bad loss.
All 3 of those one loss teams are deserving. Both Fla and OU have a shot head to head against the teams that are currently undefeated. It will sort itself out. They might even meet each other. You never know.

So, losing to Ole Miss is not bad considering they could have some players in the NFL??? What the hell people.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/10/2008, 05:27 PM
Wow, just wow.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/10/2008, 05:30 PM
logic is apparently optional at ESPN

Harry Beanbag
11/10/2008, 05:34 PM
I find it hard to believe Florida doesn't have any future NFL players.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2008, 05:46 PM
logic is apparently optional at ESPN

ESPN is about entertainment, not sports knowledge...I could careless what any of them say...I guarantee when OU smokes TT, They will all be making sweet manlove to Bradford...its just the way they work..

I like how the top heisman candidates all work in line with the team rankings..whatever candidate's team is the flavor of the week is the top candidate

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2008, 05:52 PM
It's pretty clear that Rece Davis is very inconsistent.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 06:01 PM
Lets just let Kansas beat Texas this weekend

tru2ou
By his logic, Texas and OU have no chance to get into the title game because OU can't pass Texas and Texas can't pass Texas Tech. No matter what happens the rest of the way.

Also, by this logic, shouldnt Utah be ahead of USC in every poll since they beat Oregon State and USC didnt?

Geez...use your brain a little.

I'm not saying we should be ahead of Texas right now but if OU beats TT and OSU, we should move ahead of them due to strength of out of conference schedule. Texas played no one and Oklahoma beat two teams in the top 20 of the BCS. Texas will have played Missouri but why not give OU a chance to play Missouri in KC. If OU loses, Texas goes to the title game, if OU beats Missouri, OU goes. Its really pretty easy in my mind.

- tru

okiewaker
It's pretty clear that Rece Davis is very incontinent.

Fix

Scotty
11/10/2008, 06:10 PM
Guys, remember..

this is the guy who picked OU to be in the national title game back in August.

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 06:19 PM
So i guess he's off the bandwagon. He should've stayed.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 06:19 PM
yep

soonerhubs
11/10/2008, 06:27 PM
Fix

Fix as in, "The Fix is in to get Florida climbing even though they lost at home to an unranked team."

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 06:33 PM
Yep. Herbie and the gang are now on the Fla bandwagon. It will be hard to stop the Tebow express.

TopDawg
11/10/2008, 07:17 PM
By his logic, Texas and OU have no chance to get into the title game because OU can't pass Texas and Texas can't pass Texas Tech. No matter what happens the rest of the way.

Actually, he pointed out that it was a loss on a neutral field. If Tech beat Texas in Austin (or on a neutral field) he might feel that way...that Texas shouldn't pass Tech. But Texas lost on a last-second play on the road at Tech. Maybe that is worthy of consideration in his book.

In other words, he's saying "OU lost on a neutral field to a great Texas team. Texas lost on the road to a great Texas Tech team. Since Texas beat OU at a neutral site, I don't see how I can move OU ahead of them since each teams' wins (strength of schedule) will be pretty even."

Right?

I'm not saying we should be ahead of Texas right now but if OU beats TT and OSU, we should move ahead of them due to strength of out of conference schedule. Texas played no one and Oklahoma beat two teams in the top 20 of the BCS. Texas will have played Missouri but why not give OU a chance to play Missouri in KC. If OU loses, Texas goes to the title game, if OU beats Missouri, OU goes. Its really pretty easy in my mind.

- tru

Look, I don't think he's saying that Texas is a clear favorite over OU in the polls. I think he's saying it's really tough and there has to be SOMETHING that separates the two. Since both of them will have played pretty similar schedules and will have identical records, why would you put something else over the head-to-head results? Can you imagine the outrage on this site if the roles were reversed...if we had a similar SOS as Texas, had beaten Texas, but people were saying that Texas should still be ranked ahead of us? It'd be madness here.

Salt City Sooner
11/10/2008, 07:46 PM
Now, the Dogs didn't live up to expectations...and they've had injuries.
So Rece can throw the injury reason for UGA on the table, but doesn't for OU when they lose their defensive quarterback against UT.

I'll take double standards for $500, Alex.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/10/2008, 08:41 PM
Actually, he pointed out that it was a loss on a neutral field. If Tech beat Texas in Austin (or on a neutral field) he might feel that way...that Texas shouldn't pass Tech. But Texas lost on a last-second play on the road at Tech. Maybe that is worthy of consideration in his book.

In other words, he's saying "OU lost on a neutral field to a great Texas team. Texas lost on the road to a great Texas Tech team. Since Texas beat OU at a neutral site, I don't see how I can move OU ahead of them since each teams' wins (strength of schedule) will be pretty even."

Right?

Look, I don't think he's saying that Texas is a clear favorite over OU in the polls. I think he's saying it's really tough and there has to be SOMETHING that separates the two. Since both of them will have played pretty similar schedules and will have identical records, why would you put something else over the head-to-head results? Can you imagine the outrage on this site if the roles were reversed...if we had a similar SOS as Texas, had beaten Texas, but people were saying that Texas should still be ranked ahead of us? It'd be madness here.
Thanks for taking off the crimson glasses, point taken.

But in a 3 way tie, head-to-head is a round robin, therefore, they should base it on who is playing better football by the end of the year (when your loss came) and SOS

MojoRisen
11/10/2008, 08:55 PM
Coaches had every opportunity too drop us the last 2 weeks behind Texas... It didn't happen- Texas lost late in the season and we have been destroying people.

Why would they do it now??? when we have a shot at the team that just beat Texas...

Computers will take care of themselves- Coaches and Computers > Harris

birddog
11/10/2008, 09:02 PM
for people who say that playoffs are bad because it rewards teams for getting hot late, it looks like the pollsters are following the same theory.

whomever is better at the end of the year is,oh what's the word i'm looking for... better.

SCxxSOONER
11/10/2008, 09:09 PM
what a D.A. he said if they werent the same team well we werent the same team after we lost Ryan reynolds or we would whipped texASS

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 09:17 PM
Kansas by a field goal.

PalmBeachSooner
11/10/2008, 09:27 PM
We won't get the credit we deserve unless we stomp a mudhole in Taco Tech's arse...seriously. If we win voters will rationalize that the win was in Norman, while Texas lost to Tech at Tech. If the game had been played in Austin, Texas would have won. Actually, there isn't anything wrong with that logic. I have no doubts Texas would have won. However, that's why a narrow margin of victory at home for OU against Tech will only help us marginally in the voters eyes. I honestly think we need more than just a win. We need to make a statement. Here's hoping!

soonerhubs
11/10/2008, 09:34 PM
I don't even mind the being behind TExas at the moment. It's all the love for a team that lost to an unranked team in their own fricken house that gets me all angry.

Dear ESPN,
Get a BRAIN! Florida lost to an UNRANKED TEAM.

Soonerfan88
11/11/2008, 12:39 AM
Also note that Rece Davis is a native of Alabama and alum of 'Bama. He will continue to pump Fla to keep the SEC love flowing.

Johnny Utah
11/11/2008, 09:58 AM
So Rece can throw the injury reason for UGA on the table, but doesn't for OU when they lose their defensive quarterback against UT.

I'll take double standards for $500, Alex.

Heh. :D

Johnny Utah
11/11/2008, 10:00 AM
We won't get the credit we deserve unless we stomp a mudhole in Taco Tech's arse...

... and stomp a mudhole in whatever team's arse we play in a bowl game!

OUmillenium
11/11/2008, 10:48 AM
Can we bombard every ESPN email address, blog, message board with...

Florida lost to an UNRANKED TEAM...AT HOME!!!!!!!

I think that might help. Engage

SoonerJack
11/11/2008, 11:59 AM
ESPN is about entertainment, not sports knowledge...I could careless what any of them say...I guarantee when OU smokes TT, They will all be making sweet manlove to Bradford...its just the way they work..

I like how the top heisman candidates all work in line with the team rankings..whatever candidate's team is the flavor of the week is the top candidate

Winnar

Lets just let Kansas beat Texas this weekend

Dude, this would take a miracle of Biblical proportions. KU stands for NO DEFENSE.

TopDawg
11/11/2008, 12:14 PM

OU v. Texas, Bradford v. McCoy, the winner is the frontrunner for the Heisman.

Texas v. Missouri, McCoy v. Daniels, the winner is the frontrunner for the Heisman.

Texas v. Texas Tech, McCoy v. Harrell, the winner is the frontrunner for the Heisman.

Texas Tech v. OU, Harrell v. Bradford, the winner is the frontrunner for the Heisman.

JLEW1818
11/11/2008, 12:20 PM
45-35 Sooners

rondog79
11/11/2008, 12:47 PM

Also, by this logic, shouldnt Utah be ahead of USC in every poll since they beat Oregon State and USC didnt?

Geez...use your brain a little.

- tru
thats what i think

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 04:55 PM
We won't get the credit we deserve unless we stomp a mudhole in Taco Tech's arse...seriously. If we win voters will rationalize that the win was in Norman, while Texas lost to Tech at Tech. If the game had been played in Austin, Texas would have won. Actually, there isn't anything wrong with that logic. I have no doubts Texas would have won. However, that's why a narrow margin of victory at home for OU against Tech will only help us marginally in the voters eyes. I honestly think we need more than just a win. We need to make a statement. Here's hoping!

If they use the reasoning that Texass would have beat tech at home, they need to use the same logic and say that the aggies would have stomped a mudhole in texass in stoolwater!!!!

Harry Beanbag
11/11/2008, 04:58 PM
If they use the reasoning that Texass would have beat tech at home, they need to use the same logic and say that the aggies would have stomped a mudhole in texass in stoolwater!!!!

That just isn't true. Colt McCoy is awesome!!!!11!!!!!!1!!

NCAAISAJOKE
11/11/2008, 05:00 PM
That just isn't true. Colt McCoy is awesome!!!!11!!!!!!1!!

Sammy the gunslinger is better!!!!!:)

oupride
11/11/2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the post. You never know.

Taxman71
11/12/2008, 11:58 AM
Last year's white glove treatment of LSU proved that NOTHING matters until the FINAL BCS poll. LSU loses its last regular season game of the year....at home.....to an 8-5 team with its coach on the outs, yet still leapfrogs everyone to get in the title game just b/c it won an easy division and got to play in the SEC title game.

Stated another way, the voters will rationalize as needed to get their team in the title game.