PDA

View Full Version : Could Bama stay #2 with a loss?

schooner phil
11/10/2008, 03:03 PM
So, just to play devils advocate. I have been going through scenarios all day (soonerdudes.com (http://www.soonerdudes.com)).

When we lost the Big 12 Champ game in 2003 we were ranked #1 and lost to #13 and only fell to number #2.

If #1 Alabama loses the SEC Champ game to a #4 Florida, what is to say they drop below us? (Assuming we win out)

Would beating #2 Tech, #13 Okie Lite, and #12 Mizzou be enough for us to overcome a 1-loss Bama, when that 1-loss is from #4 Fla?

Scotty
11/10/2008, 03:05 PM
For that to happen, it would mean a #1 florida vs a #2 bama rematch in the title. I don't think they polls would allow that to happen.

Lott's Bandana
11/10/2008, 03:12 PM
If we win out the BCS prior to that game would likely look like this:

1 Alabama
2 Florida
3 OU
4 Texas
5 suc
6 Tech

Winning the CCG the same night would ticket us to Miami. The SEC CCG would be a de facto semi-final, as Rees Davis said on CF Final Saturday night.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 03:13 PM
if bama loses I think they drop like a rock.

I dont' think people are impressed by their wins and just look at Georgia. There biggest win no longer looks so big.

Having said that I think they have a defense that could give Tebow fits.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 03:14 PM
We were the rare exception, the system they have now is different, if you lose your conference title game, your out. At least I would think.

yermom
11/10/2008, 03:19 PM
the computers had a lot more sway in 2003 than they do now

the human polls would most likely drop Bama too low for this to happen

also our computer rankings were through the roof that year which allowed that to happen

Bama's OOC schedule is pretty bad...

primetime43
11/10/2008, 03:23 PM
Look at a couple of years ago when Ohio St. played Florida. There was talk of a rematch b/t Ohio St. and Michigan but the voters didn't want to see a rematch and with the help of Urban Meyer whining Florida got in.

cheezyq
11/10/2008, 04:15 PM
So, just to play devils advocate. I have been going through scenarios all day (soonerdudes.com (http://www.soonerdudes.com)).

When we lost the Big 12 Champ game in 2003 we were ranked #1 and lost to #13 and only fell to number #2.

If #1 Alabama loses the SEC Champ game to a #4 Florida, what is to say they drop below us? (Assuming we win out)

Would beating #2 Tech, #13 Okie Lite, and #12 Mizzou be enough for us to overcome a 1-loss Bama, when that 1-loss is from #4 Fla?

No. The reason that we only went down to #2 was because the computers didn't account for late season losses differently than early season losses. For that matter, the computers actually mattered. They were a huge part of the BCS formula. In addition, we obliterated almost everyone that year, including a 77-0 romp against aTm, and faced a pretty decent schedule.

Immediately after we bumped USC, the BCS committee didn't like the results and limited the "margin of victory" to a max of 21 points. They also modified the SOS and required that later season losses count harder against the team than early season losses.

Then after we STILL made it over an SEC team the following year, they minimized the computers as much as possible, to where we now have 1/3 computer and 2/3 biased media and coaches as our formula.

My Opinion Matters
11/10/2008, 04:31 PM
Bama, like every other team in serious contention at this point, has to win out to play in the title game.

Unless there's a stunner in the Big 12 CG, it's almost a guarantee the BCS title game will be Big 12 South champ/SEC champ.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/10/2008, 04:33 PM
In 2003, there was also that crazy quality wins component that helped us out because texass was ranked high at the end of the year. Also, there were only 3 major conference 1 loss teams that year which meant we only dropped to 3 in the human polls.

My Opinion Matters
11/10/2008, 04:33 PM
It's funny, Texas probably has the worst shot at the BCS title game of the remaining contenders. Texas Tech would have to beat us and then lose to Missouri in the Big 12 title game.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2008, 04:41 PM
Tech and Bama *might* be able to withstand a loss in the next 2 games and still get in the title game by winning their repective CCG. They would only have 1 loss like all the rest but would have an extra quality win and the conference championship title of the 2 strongest conferences. But Petey would be hiring the best BCS lobbyist available and screaming to another that would listen. But the losers of the CCGs are out.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 04:42 PM
It's funny, Texas probably has the worst shot at the BCS title game of the remaining contenders. Texas Tech would have to beat us and then lose to Missouri in the Big 12 title game.

Yep...I came to that conclusion Saturday night as well. Oh, sure...they can hang on to a glimmer of hope, but it appears if they win out they can assure themselves of the number 2 BCS spot in the Big 12 and probably come out my way to play in the Fiesta Bowl. Maybe against USC if those Oregon State Beavs keep winning.

It sucks to be a Texas fan right now. They have to pull for OU for two games and then pull against voters and computers for the 24 hours after that. And all of this in a year when they beat a favored OU team by 10.

Couldn't happen to a better group of folk!

BuckyB
11/10/2008, 05:15 PM
Look at a couple of years ago when Ohio St. played Florida. There was talk of a rematch b/t Ohio St. and Michigan but the voters didn't want to see a rematch and with the help of Urban Meyer whining Florida got in.

This is exactly what I'm thinking.