PDA

View Full Version : Sic 'em won't like this idea / Homey bait

Half a Hundred
11/10/2008, 02:31 PM
So, as you history buffs are aware of, this upcoming February 12th will be the 200th anniversary of one Abraham Lincoln's birth. Naturally, given the historical significance of this (we like counting things in multiples of ten), I have a slight suggestion.

Move the holiday for Washington's Birthday (or as it's commonly known, but not officially known, Presidents' Day) from Feb 16 (third Monday in February) to Feb 12 for one year only.

Now, it would most likely take a national petition to do this, but I think it would be a great way to commemorate one of the most important (for better or worse, depending on your perspective) people in our nation's history, while not changing things up too much.

Most importantly, it would be on a Thursday, which means your employer is much more likely to just give you that Friday off anyway, which means four day weekend. I think that's something we can all get behind.

SicEmBaylor
11/10/2008, 02:33 PM
I'm all for permanently separating Washington and Lincoln's birthday. There's no reason to combine both of them, and no reason to get both days off except for Washington's Bday. No President should be greater than Washington and it diminishes his legacy to throw him in with the rest of the Presidential rabble.

I say this even if Washington was strongly sympathetic to the Federalist cause.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/10/2008, 02:54 PM
I'm in.

February 16th should be reserved for the masses to celebrate MY birthday.

yermom
11/10/2008, 05:17 PM
i thought that was going to be Obama Day

Okla-homey
11/10/2008, 07:45 PM
I'm all for permanently separating Washington and Lincoln's birthday. There's no reason to combine both of them, and no reason to get both days off except for Washington's Bday. No President should be greater than Washington and it diminishes his legacy to throw him in with the rest of the Presidential rabble.

I say this even if Washington was strongly sympathetic to the Federalist cause.

Will you please stop with the lost-causer, bitter-ender crapola. AL is, and shall always be, the Second Greatest American. At least until BHO gives us all our cotton-candy castles with rainbow windows and a unicorn you can ride tied up out back.;)

Washington delivered the baby US. Lincoln saved her from drowning when she was a little kid after a bunch of slaveocrats threw her in the deep-end of the pool and she sank like a stone to the bottom.

StoopTroup
11/10/2008, 07:47 PM
There's gonna be unicorns?

Oh goody! :D

Okla-homey
11/10/2008, 07:50 PM
There's gonna be unicorns?

Oh goody! :D

They're currently pastured up on the north meadow of the Big Rock Candy Mountain.:D

Tulsa_Fireman
11/10/2008, 08:23 PM
2nd Greatest American = Thomas Jefferson

His jungle fever ushered in the New Age Of Obama.

Okla-homey
11/10/2008, 08:27 PM

His jungle fever ushered in the New Age Of Obama.

That cat was a big-time hypocrit. "All men created equal and stuff" while he drank juleps in the shade as his "darkies" hoed in his fields by day and serviced his johnson by night.

Brilliant man though. Scary smart. Flawed. But smart.

Rogue
11/10/2008, 08:34 PM

:les: Then who's the first?

History smack, gotta love it.

SicEmBaylor
11/10/2008, 08:35 PM
Will you please stop with the lost-causer, bitter-ender crapola. AL is, and shall always be, the Second Greatest American. At least until BHO gives us all our cotton-candy castles with rainbow windows and a unicorn you can ride tied up out back.;)

Washington delivered the baby US. Lincoln saved her from drowning when she was a little kid after a bunch of slaveocrats threw her in the deep-end of the pool and she sank like a stone to the bottom.

I didn't know that a few states splitting off (states that the country has always contended it could do better without) was tantamount to the destruction of the United States. I tend to believe that with or without the southern states, the United States would have carried on just fine.

Also, I wasn't speaking of the lost cause or even making any sort of detrimental comment about Lincoln. I'm saying Washington deserves a day unto himself and that's the day that should be a holiday.

SicEmBaylor
11/10/2008, 08:36 PM
James Madison, though the junior partner in the Jefferson/Madison/Monroe trifecta of greatness, is by far my favorite Founding Father. He was even better than Jefferson who could definitely get a little carried away with his ideology and always had his head in the clouds.

Rogue
11/10/2008, 08:39 PM
He was even better than Jefferson who could definitely get a little carried away with his ideology and always had his head in the clouds.

Sacrilege!
Heresy!
Blaspemer!

Monroe was a bad farmer who went bust.
Just sayin'.

SicEmBaylor
11/10/2008, 08:43 PM
Sacrilege!
Heresy!
Blaspemer!

Monroe was a bad farmer who went bust.
Just sayin'.

I wasn't speaking of his farming skills. To be honest, he wasn't that great a President but ideologically speaking he was solid and that's all that's really important to me.

royalfan5
11/10/2008, 09:00 PM
I'm in.

February 16th should be reserved for the masses to celebrate MY birthday.

Too bad they would rather celebrate mine that day.

Half a Hundred
11/11/2008, 09:12 AM
Too bad they would rather celebrate mine that day.

I believe that, in other words, means "It's on"

85Sooner
11/11/2008, 11:26 AM
As I remember back in the 60's and I may be wrong but I believe that we celebrated Washingtons B Day and Lincolns B Day on separate occasions. sometime since then, they have been combined into "Presidents day"

From what I have been reading We are now going to get an OBAMA day. This country is really going to hell in a handbasket like a bullet.

Half a Hundred
11/11/2008, 01:03 PM
As I remember back in the 60's and I may be wrong but I believe that we celebrated Washingtons B Day and Lincolns B Day on separate occasions. sometime since then, they have been combined into "Presidents day"

From what I have been reading We are now going to get an OBAMA day. This country is really going to hell in a handbasket like a bullet.

Don't do that to my thread.

OklahomaTuba
11/11/2008, 01:14 PM
I vote for April 14th to be Hussein Obama Day.

We can call it Obamamas, a season of giving to Uncle Sam.