PDA

View Full Version : Say what you will about USC but...

oumartin
11/10/2008, 12:21 PM
What team would they not be a favorite over in the BCS championship game?

What is Carrols record in BCS bowl games? I think he has lost once and that was very questionable if you recall. Heck most haven't even been close.

They have as much or more talent than anyone else in the country. They play good defense and the offense is explosive at times. Petey is a good coach as well..

I hate them as much as the next Sooner fan.

Their one loss is so much better than Floridas yet Florida is gettin' all the love

OUMedMan
11/10/2008, 12:26 PM
USC's defense is incredible.

Their offense. . . . .uh, I remain to be convinced.

It's interesting that it's a complete reversal of the year when they played Texas and had an incredible offense and a mediocre defense.

I will agree with you that they seem to be two different teams -- not all that great when playing in the Pathetic 10, and almost unbeatable when playing out of conference teams.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 12:29 PM
Eh, I welcome a matchup with USC. Hell, their 17-3 win Saturday at home included a touchdown catch that clearly hit the ground first but was not reviewed and Cal having a touchdown called back for lineman down field which about five replays showed NO LINEMAN past the line of scrimmage.

As far as their BCS bowl record, well, other than the win over us, what win was so impressive? Michigan? Michigan? Illinois? Heck, they are almost a lock to play the almighty Big 10 in the Rose Bowl! We'd have an impressive BCS record, too, if we got to play a Big Ten team in OKC for a BCS game!

oumartin
11/10/2008, 12:34 PM
Fact is they have alot better BCS record than does OU.

Who have we played? I would say Michigan, Michigan and Illinois would arguably be better than a Boise or a West Virginia without their head coach.

UTgolfer
11/10/2008, 12:34 PM

What is Carrols record in BCS bowl games? I think he has lost once and that was very questionable if you recall. Heck most haven't even been close.

They have as much or more talent than anyone else in the country. They play good defense and the offense is explosive at times. Petey is a good coach as well..

Their one loss is so much better than Floridas yet Florida is gettin' all the love

Did you watch the game versus Cal? Their offense looked terrible and were aided by 2 very bad calls. And which BCS loss was questionable?

oumartin
11/10/2008, 12:36 PM
And which BCS loss was questionable

pretty short memory there! ;)

OUMedMan
11/10/2008, 12:36 PM
Just to correct something here. . . . .

I watched the USC/Cal game, and it's correct that the TD catch did appear to hit the ground.

However -- the play where Cal lost the TD because of a lineman down field turned out to be an excellent call -- as was eventually reported on TV. The slot receiver on the left lined up within a yard of the scrimmage line -- making him a lineman, and not a receiver coming out of the backfield.

It was an excellent call, and after it was demostrated on TV I was amazed that the refs picked up on it.

My Opinion Matters
11/10/2008, 12:37 PM
Florida and Bama would beat USC straight up.

USC this year is nothing like USC circa 2005. I would like OU's chances against them.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 12:38 PM
Fact is they have alot better BCS record than does OU.

Who have we played? I would say Michigan, Michigan and Illinois would arguably be better than a Boise or a West Virginia without their head coach.

Well, that is true about our BCS record, but you are asking who would they not be favored against. If you go on history, they would be favored against us. Honestly, I think OU, Texas, Texas Tech and Florida would all beat USC. Hell, I even think OSU would give them a helluva game. Color me not impressed and if you are impressed tell me what about their offense impresses you cause I'm not seeing it. At all.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 12:42 PM
I think we could beat usc anywhere but the Rose bowl.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 12:50 PM
we all have our opinions but mine is that they would beat or any of the other top 5 teams in the BCS championship game.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 12:53 PM
Okay...it is your opinion, but just wondering. The 17-3 win over Cal at home cemented that thought for you? Really?

oumartin
11/10/2008, 01:02 PM
nope. has nothing to do with Cal.

you don't always look good in your wins.. Lets flash back to the OSU/OU game in 2000. That was an ugly win. or the Texas A&M game of that year.

I base this solely on the fact that they are just as talented across the board as any team in the country. They seem to step up their play in the Bowl games and whenever they play OOC & they are well coached and defenses still win you championships.

soonerboomer93
11/10/2008, 02:52 PM
you've been listening to waaaaay to much Colin Cowherd

oumartin
11/10/2008, 03:00 PM
I've never listened to Colin Cowherd.

tommieharris91
11/10/2008, 03:01 PM

None of them.

The Remnant
11/10/2008, 03:03 PM
USC's secondary can lay the wood. I'm not sure, however, they are all that in pass coverage. I would like to see them play a team that can throw the ball. Their offense has not been the same since Norm Chow left.

Scott D
11/10/2008, 03:40 PM

let's get Oregon State in that championship game ;)

oumartin
11/10/2008, 03:50 PM
let's get Oregon State in that championship game

Hey, I agree.

Using other talking heads logic out there there is no way we should be ranked ahead of Texas even if we beat tech and OSU. My response is pretty much what yours was..

we need to have an Ole' Miss vs Oregon State in the BCS championship game

meoveryouxinfinity
11/10/2008, 04:18 PM
Did you watch their game vs Cal this week? They are good, but nothing to write home about. They don't lose bowl games, that's for certain, but they are not the same Pete Carroll team we are used to watching. Sanchez is average. McKnight is pretty good, but there are better. Their defense is good, but you and I both saw how Jaquizz Rogers (yeah, who?) ran all over them. Sure, they had a bad night, but they aren't playing Big XII teams every week either.

This USC team is not the same high-octane, offensive juggernaut we're used to seeing.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 04:23 PM
They don't lose bowl games b/c they are usually at the Rose bowl, or playing some BS team. Besides beating Oklahoma who else have they beat that is so impressive in a bowl.... but yah, they do win bowl games either way.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2008, 04:23 PM
I don't see the USC loss or the UF loss as that different. They both had bad games against teams teams they should have beaten. I think a OSU/ole Miss game would be close. But both games were half a season ago and both teams are playing better now, so it doesn't say much about how they would match-up on the field today. USC's problem is it's schedule of weak pac10 teams. The only quality win was tOSU and they were playing like sh*t at the time. The advantage of having a weak schedule is that you are more likely to win all your games; the disadvantage is that you *better* win all your games. USC didn't do that. Doesn't mean they aren't better than everyone, but that the system.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 04:25 PM
perfect time for a 8 team tourney !!!

Scott D
11/10/2008, 06:41 PM
Ironically I'm pulling for Oregon St. to win out so that USC can't even go to the Rose Bowl. In fact, I'm looking forward to USC going to the Holiday Bowl if Oregon St. can pull it off.

OUMedMan
11/10/2008, 06:50 PM
If USC wins up 11-1 they will probably be snatched up by some other BCS bowl.

Suppose that Texas or Texas Tech goes to the BCS NC game, and OU is second. The Fiesta Bowl, since they lost their conference tie-in team, will have their choice of teams to replace the Big-12 team they would normally have.

Do you think that given a choice between a 11-1 USC and a 11-1 OU -- they might decide to go with a team that hasn't lost in their last two Fiesta Bowls, and would probably bring more fans from 300 miles away than from 800 miles away?

Which would mean that OU would be in the Holiday Bowl -- perhaps playing Oregon!!

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 06:54 PM
USC's defense is incredible.

Their offense. . . . .uh, I remain to be convinced.

It's interesting that it's a complete reversal of the year when they played Texas and had an incredible offense and a mediocre defense.

I will agree with you that they seem to be two different teams -- not all that great when playing in the Pathetic 10, and almost unbeatable when playing out of conference teams.

I'm sure their D is good, but really. If they can stop one of the 4 teams in the B12 south then maybe. But, they have not faced much when it comes to Offenses. I'm not ready to crown them as an "incredible D" just yet.

Dan Thompson
11/10/2008, 06:56 PM
Living out in USC world all I can say after the Arizona game was USC has some good LBs. The D line is big, they have a couple of running backs, but I think TT could beat them, maybe Texas, and maybe OU.

pappy
11/10/2008, 07:01 PM
If oregon state wins out they win the pac 10. usc will still be ranked high enough in the bcs to go to a bcs game and if ou wins out regardless of them getting to play in the big 12 title game and eventually the national title game they will still be ranked high enough in the bcs to still go to a bcs game.

pappy
11/10/2008, 07:03 PM
oh and yeah I'm unimpressed with usc as well and would take alabama, florida, texas, texas tech, ou over suc and say that ok state and penn state would give them a run for their money.

Jacie
11/10/2008, 09:31 PM
On a related note . . .

http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=874445

November 9, 2008

Trojans' Green talks about transfer

On the surface, Broderick Green's decision to transfer seems pretty cut and dry.

Green, a redshirt freshman running back, didn't want to wait behind a stable of other backs. He wasn't happy working with the scout team. He didn't like not having a chance.

Talk to Green, though, and he tells a different story.

"I care about football, but I care about life outside of football," Green said. "My family comes before a lot of the stuff going on in my life. I just don't want any regrets, and being this far away, now I know what it's like.

"With everything going on in my family, I don't feel like I could stay this far away."

Green said he plans on transferring to a school somewhere closer to his home in Little Rock, Ark.

"My goal is to be somewhere closer to home where my family can actually come and not have to spend all this money on flights and hotels," he said. "I want to be close. I want to be able to go home on the weekends or for the holidays. I want to be able to spend time with my family."

Green said family issues, not playing time, forced his decision.

"It's a lot to go into detail about. To keep it short and simple, my mom is going through a divorce right now," Green said. "I was the last one to leave my household and my family is really close."

Green also said health issues pertaining to his grandmother also troubled him.

Green has appeared in six games this season, rushing for 168 yards and three touchdowns, including a team-high 121 yards in USC's win at Washington State.

"I'd be doing this if I was the starter most likely," he said.

Green said he's struggled with the decision since before the season began.

"It all started awhile ago. Over time, I was kind of thinking of it, and I wasn't sure," he said. "It just got to the point where I couldn't really take it anymore. I was talking to my family about it, and we kept trying to tough it out. Finally, we agreed on what's best for me."

Green said he told Trojans coaches of his decision late last week, and he said he believes he's been granted his release.

He waited to go public with the news because he didn't want to be a distraction as USC prepared to take on Cal on Saturday — a game USC won 17-3.

Despite traveling all the way from his hometown only to leave less than two years later, Green said he stands by his original decision to come to USC.

"I don't regret it. I met a lot of people out here. I got close with the coaches. I learned what it's like to be out on the West Coast. I learned a lot as far as football," he said. "I wouldn't take back anything. There's no doubt I'm a better football player. I learned so much I didn't know."

Green said he intends to remain on campus until the end of the semester.

tulsaoilerfan
11/10/2008, 10:23 PM
It's hard to say how good they are when you see how badly the Pac 10 has sucked the last couple of seasons

Red October
11/10/2008, 10:27 PM
I cant believe I wasted my time reading a usc thread on Soonerfans.

Sabanball
11/10/2008, 10:35 PM
I think we could beat usc anywhere but the Rose bowl.

You haven't beaten them since 1971. What makes you think that?

Curly Bill
11/10/2008, 10:39 PM
perfect time for a 8 team tourney !!!

Nope.