PDA

View Full Version : Here is why we lose/ why we win.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 11:06 AM
Why OU loses.

Wilson feels the need to be balanced and we try to run on first down on drives regardless of how well the passing game is going or how poor the running game might be. (think back to Texas)

I dont' think either defense is good enough to make enough stops without the offenses making mistakes or just completely going away from what is working which is the route the Sooners wanna take.

OU will need to outscore Tech and If we continue to try to run it even if its not there that will cost them.

Why OU win.

Well, we score more points than tech. ;)

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 11:14 AM
OSU seemed to have some success running the ball. I think that is critical for OU. If we can run the ball and keep the Raiders offense on the sidelines they will get frustrated and then when that are on the field they might start to press and that is when you make mistakes. Our run game has come along way since Texas and I don't think the Tech defense is as tough against the run as they were. Murray is running with a fire that he hadn't run with the first part of the year and Brown is emerging as a star himself. the other key is this, please for the love of all that is good and holy in this world would somebody cover a freaking kickoff!!!!!!

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2008, 11:18 AM
The running game will be interesting and i think we are running better now, but it's hard to say since we haven't faced a decent D since texas. I agree the insistence on running even though it wasn't working against UT really hurt us down the stretch. It was like Sam started with 2nd and 10 instead of 1st and 10 every series. We had a chance to win that game even after RR went down just by trading scores with them.

I do agree that establishing the run is important, but doing what works is more important. I like the way we are getting the ball more to DM on the swing pass these days. It's making it darn impossible to get pressure on Sam and it's another way to get DM the ball in space. TT will have to try and cover it which means less coverage on Greshem.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 11:19 AM
OU has not played a good run stopping defense since texas. Poor competition makes you look better than you are.

I personally don't think we will have success running the ball on them.

we need to use the rbs to catch passes as we have lately and I would like to see Madu catch a ball or two in space.. I think he is dangerous in the open field. he just seems to only get mop up time.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 11:25 AM
While its not that I don't believe that we can win a shootout, I just don't think Bob wants to get into one. Which is why I think the running game will be big. We need to establish the run. Whether we establish to set up the pass of establish the pass to set up the run we need to be able to control the clock. Thats how you stop Tech. As they say, the best defense is a good offense.

Knippz
11/10/2008, 11:33 AM
What we'll do is score fast and hard. They won't know what hit them. We keep the intensity up, and keep the pressure on them to keep up with us. As long as we lead the scoreboard for the first half, that will put pressure on them and force turnovers. We score 40 or 50, and hold them in the 30s. Harrell throws 2 picks, but for lots of yards. We force a key fumble. They run one back on the kickoff to keep themselves close in the first half. Then we pull away.

soonerlaw
11/10/2008, 11:49 AM
We will need to score a lot, that's for sure, but one of the downfalls in the Saxet game was time of possession. they had slow time consuming drives that led to tds, and we either scored quick or punted quick. In the end, they held the ball for a lot longer. If we can control the t.o.p. against tech, and keep their offense off the field and wear down their defense, I think we will be okay.

Widescreen
11/10/2008, 12:22 PM
If Tech plays the same defense against us that they played against OSU, I think we'll run a lot and have success. They kept their safeties 15 yards back from the LOS. OSU got far enough behind that they seemed to think they needed to abandon the run game.