PDA

View Full Version : Biggest home game in Stoops era?

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 10:02 AM
Heck, the only one that comes close is the Nebraska 2000 game.

Late November. Unbeaten opponent. National title game implications. Win and basically control desiny. Lose and kiss a BCS bowl game goodbye. Seriously, either Cotton or Holiday if you lose the game.

Sure, 2000 Nebraska was huge, but for different reasons. It was say OU is back. This game next week is all about flexing our muscle and putting a stamp on the debate of "toughest place to win in college football".

The way I see it, we either are in the title game or out of the BCS altogether, unless texas somehow stays ahead of us in the BCS Poll if we win out.

The real question is, what are we going to do for the next 12 days while waiting?!?!?!

stoopified
11/10/2008, 10:22 AM
Nebraska 2000 was bigger.It announcd to all doubters(within and outside the Sooner Faithful) that OU was back.I think many of us AT the game had nagging doubts as evidenced when NU went up 14-0 and it got so quiet you could hear the flags flapping in the breeze.

This game most OU fans expect to win because we have only lost twice in 10 years at OwenField under Bob.Trust me,after we win there will be NO storming the field.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2008, 10:39 AM
This game is not as big as NU 2000 from an expectation/storm the field point of view, but it is just as big from as far as BCS impact. NU 2000 was definitely *the* coming out game for the Stoops era, but this game could announce that big-game Bob is back (or not:eek: ). The hype will be ridiculous next week.

Collier11
11/10/2008, 10:50 AM
If we win there is a pretty decent chance we will be playing for the Natl title so this is huge, I think Neb was/is bigger but this one is right up there.

Wouldnt a 3 td win be nice :)

BornandBred
11/10/2008, 10:54 AM
Call him "Big Game" or not, these are the kinds of games Stoops gets paid for. He has a history of winning these kinds of games, think back to both Mizzou games last year. Also, I think OU will be the dog, which plays into our hands. I think the D, especially, will be trying to prove they're legit. So, I expect we'll play with some attitude.

With 2 weeks for both coaches to game plan, it should be very interesting. I expect there will be a bunch of going for it on 4th down. Hopefully our LB's can shut down the middle routes. If they do, I think we'll be successful.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 10:56 AM
I disagree with the theroy that this game is not as big as the 2000 Nebraska game. I think this is the biggest home game that Stoops has had. The 2000 Neb game was huge in that it put OU back on the college map. We stormed the field because it had been a long time since OU had beaten a team of that caliber. This game is huge because of what is means for the National Championship and Big XII Championship. We may not storm the field but that is because we have gotten used to winning. That doesn't mean that its not as big as the Neb game. I agree that this is the chance to make a name for Owen Field that ranks up there with the toughest places to play not only in present college football but in the history of college football. Its where Heisman hopes get dashed. Its where good teams come to die.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 10:57 AM
This is the second biggest game in Norman in stoops era IMO. Crowd has got to be crazy.

Last time tech showed up in Norman with south title on the line for them they got slapped around... hope the same happens again.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 10:58 AM
Also, I think OU will be the dog, which plays into our hands.

Vegas makes odds, not pollsters and OU will NOT be the dog. Vegas likes winners and with only two losses in ten years, don't expect OU to be a dog at home now or anytime soon.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 10:59 AM
Also, I think OU will be the dog,

OU opened as 9 point favorite.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:05 AM
Well, it is officially the 1st or 2nd biggest game...which is pretty dang big.

8timechamps
11/10/2008, 11:05 AM
Trust me,after we win there will be NO storming the field.

You know, that's how you know you have tradition...

Storming the field=winning a game you don't expect to win.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 11:06 AM

Wow. As much as I hate to say it I think I might have to take Tech on that. I think it will be a close game. The kind of heart attack waiting to happen type game that you hate and love at the same time. I say OU leads most of the game but its close. OU by a 7 with Tech scoring late and it comes down to who gets the onside kick. This time the refs are on our side;)

MrJimBeam
11/10/2008, 11:08 AM

That's a huge number. If that is a Vegas line then Vegas likes OU.

RacerX
11/10/2008, 11:09 AM
The 2001 OSU game was pretty important.

SteelClip49
1. 2008 Oklahoma/TTU
2. 2000 Oklahoma/Nebraska
3. 2007 Oklahoma/Missouri
4. 1999 Oklahoma/Texas A&M
5. 2002 Oklahoma/Alabama

BuckyB
This game next week is all about flexing our muscle and putting a stamp on the debate of "toughest place to win in college football".

Very strong point.

OUHOMER
11/10/2008, 11:10 AM
It may very well be Bob's biggest home game since NU. I think if we win out we jump tx, We beat the team that beat them, add a few style point for our non conference schedule.

As far as what we are going to do between now and tech, I have no clue, I will be lost. the wife is headed to Kansas next weekend. So I will be really lost.

Nobody yelling at me " is that all your going to do , watch football all damn day":D

Sooner1979
11/10/2008, 11:13 AM
Call him "Big Game" or not, these are the kinds of games Stoops gets paid for. He has a history of winning these kinds of games, think back to both Mizzou games last year. Also, I think OU will be the dog, which plays into our hands. I think the D, especially, will be trying to prove they're legit. So, I expect we'll play with some attitude.

With 2 weeks for both coaches to game plan, it should be very interesting. I expect there will be a bunch of going for it on 4th down. Hopefully our LB's can shut down the middle routes. If they do, I think we'll be successful.

OU is favored by 9 over TT as of right now according to Vegas Odds....

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:14 AM
The 2001 OSU game was pretty important.

Only big because we lost. 3-7 OSU had no one's attention. Apparently, not even ours.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/10/2008, 11:15 AM
This time the refs are on our side;)And, when has that EVAR happened, even at Norman?

oumartin
11/10/2008, 11:17 AM
funny how now they say if we had beaten OSU on that day we would have snuck into the NC game

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 11:21 AM
The 01 State game was a meaningless game to everyone but OSU. Sure it would have put us in the MNC but to be honest, we don't beat Miami. We didn't have the offense. It in no way comes close to even being in the top 20 of the biggest games in Bob's tenor here

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:26 AM
The 01 State game was a meaningless game to everyone but OSU. Sure it would have put us in the MNC but to be honest, we don't beat Miami. We didn't have the offense. It in no way comes close to even being in the top 20 of the biggest games in Bob's tenor here

Yeah, I think OSU did us a favor, of sorts. Miami was the clear champ that year.

11/10/2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I think OSU did us a favor, of sorts. Miami was the clear champ that year.Few gave us any hope of beating FSU in the OB in 2K, either.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:30 AM
2001 OU offense <<<<<<< 2000 OU offense

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 11:31 AM
Few gave us any hope of beating FSU in the OB in 2K, either.

I agree but we didn't have the offense in 01 that we had in 00. I mean come on, we put up a grand total of 7 on Arkansas in the CB. No way we beat Miami.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/10/2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I think OSU did us a favor, of sorts. Miami was the clear champ that year.

Now I don't agree with that. I would rather have lost in the MNC to Miami than lose to OSU. That lose cost us a chance to repeat but I wouldn't go as far as to say they did us a favor.

My Opinion Matters
11/10/2008, 11:34 AM
It's funny, this is probably the most excited I've been for an OU game since January 2005. It seems like there was a football game played around that time, but I sure don't remember one.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:37 AM
It's funny, this is probably the most excited I've been for an OU game since January 2005. It seems like there was a football game played around that time, but I sure don't remember one.

You sure you aren't thinking of a basketball game? ;)

soonerlaw
11/10/2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know if we have not been favored at home in the stoops era (sans the 1999 season and the 2000 Nebraska game)?

primetime43
11/10/2008, 11:51 AM
Yes this is Bob's biggest home game. There is so much at stake for this game. It's time for Big game Bob to get his title back!

MyT Oklahoma
11/10/2008, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if we have not been favored at home in the stoops era (sans the 1999 season and the 2000 Nebraska game)?

Really good question but does it really matter?

But the Sooners are 7 and 0 in games that I've taken my daughter to. I have got to find some tickets for this game. That plus the Big 12 Championship Game of course.

Collier11
11/10/2008, 11:57 AM
Also, I think OU will be the dog, which plays into our hands. I think the D, especially, will be trying to prove they're legit. So, I expect we'll play with some attitude.

Early lines have us as a 7 to 9 pt fav depending on who you look at so im not sure where you came up with OU being a home dog

yermom
11/10/2008, 12:04 PM
I agree but we didn't have the offense in 01 that we had in 00. I mean come on, we put up a grand total of 7 on Arkansas in the CB. No way we beat Miami.

we scored 10, thank you very much

our defense might have been able to carry us, maybe :)

TheUnnamedSooner
11/10/2008, 12:34 PM
2000 OB was pretty big. So was the other MNC's Bob played for, but we don't count those since we lost. I don't think you get much bigger than that, you win you're Champs.

11/10/2008, 12:41 PM
2001 OU offense <<<<<<< 2000 OU offenseCertainly, but I just thought I'de throw that in.(no amount of rationalizing ever fully takes the sting out of losing to orangeaggy.)

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 12:43 PM
2000 OB was pretty big. So was the other MNC's Bob played for, but we don't count those since we lost. I don't think you get much bigger than that, you win you're Champs.

I'm almost certain those were not home games...;)

OUmillenium
11/10/2008, 01:29 PM
Wow. As much as I hate to say it I think I might have to take Tech on that. I think it will be a close game. The kind of heart attack waiting to happen type game that you hate and love at the same time. I say OU leads most of the game but its close. OU by a 7 with Tech scoring late and it comes down to who gets the onside kick. This time the refs are on our side;)

No way OU wins a close game. 10+ points or a loss IMO. Thats how it goes with our sieve...I mean defense.

Kels
11/10/2008, 01:51 PM
2000 NU was our coming out party to the rest of the nation. It told everyone that we were back.

2008 TT might be just as big when judged by history. Bob has been maligned here and there during the last 5 years in big games. This will recapture his "Big Game Bob" and "Riverboat Gambler" nicknames.

It will also help usher in #8 from 2008 . . .

TheUnnamedSooner
11/10/2008, 02:03 PM
I'm almost certain those were not home games...;)

Dammit! I didn't notice the "home" part in the title. Did you change the title? :mad:

RacerX
11/10/2008, 02:06 PM
Only big because we lost. 3-7 OSU had no one's attention. Apparently, not even ours.

Cost OU a trip to the Big XII champ game and a shot at the MNC.

hink4769
11/10/2008, 02:14 PM
No way this is bigger than 2000 Nebraska.
1. We're not undefeated. As far as I'm concerned this year will never be able to match 2000. I don't care if we win out and beat Florida 60-0 in the NC game. Not only do we have a loss, but its against Texas! (You could argue that a Texas loss shouldn't matter as much as say a loss to Colorado, but it does in my book because of the hype around the game and the fact they are our biggest rival)

2. Tech is not Nebraska. They're certainly a good team, but they don't really have the "name" that puts pizzaz into the matchup. They don't have any mystique associated with their program or much history with OU.

3. The whole coming out party thing that was going on in 2000, lets face it, this year isn't really that much of a step above business as usual for this team. That game assured OU fans that Stoops was bringing the OU program back. A win here doesn't really fit into any kind of historical context.

Collier11
11/10/2008, 02:28 PM
Sure it does, thats the problem with some OU fans...you say if we win the game it is business as usual, ho hum another 10 win season and another shot at a natl title, no historical meaning here at all

yermom
11/10/2008, 02:38 PM
this game is huge, but it's not Nebraska in 2000 huge, historically or otherwise.

we win that game and we are #1. we control our own destiny and we are back

when we play Tech, we might be in the top 2, and might play for the Big 12 if we win. we've been in this spot quite a few times in the last few years. although, the tough games haven't been at home most of the time

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 02:40 PM
45-35 sooners

(remember that score?)

OUstud
11/10/2008, 04:54 PM
This is the second biggest game in Norman in stoops era IMO. Crowd has got to be crazy.

Last time tech showed up in Norman with south title on the line for them they got slapped around... hope the same happens again.

People forget this. 2002, final score 60-15, with 2 safeties.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 04:55 PM
Can anybody tell me how Missouri demolished Tech last year???? I think we need to do what they did.

dmack13
11/10/2008, 07:07 PM
i don't think this game amounts to 2000 (hmmm...am i being bias) only bcuz even if we win, we're not guaranteed even a shot at a conference championship. its wrong but true. and i think you DO have to put the history around NU OU into play, and the coming out party and the fact that BOTH teams were undefeated...that was kinda magical. and at that point i think they were 1 and we were 2 or 3 (depending on which poll). sure my bias helps (cough...we kicked they a$$...cough) so let's just hope our boys show up and show out.

ohh and it just brings chills to my spine when our own fans just give away a 01 NC to Miami...our qb may have been an achillies heel, but "that's why they play the game" (granite, i was hurt by then, but we still had gorilla nuts at that time)

that UM team was a lot like our 04 team...used to hitting people in the mouth and not geting hit back...i'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be expecting the kind of hit they'd get from our defense...we still had play makers all over the offense (q-griffin, mark clayton, fagan, savage, norman, t-smith...etc etc) who had plenty of big game exp. its not like it was a totally different team from 00....i'm just saying "that's why they play the game"

NU was #2 when we lost to them at their house and we were one 'our qb trips over his own feet before catching the winning TD...and they see the play run the identical play and theirs doesn't trip' play away from winning that one...

the_ouskull
11/10/2008, 08:06 PM
Trust me,after we win there will be NO storming the field.

I wish you were right, sir. I truly do. Sadly, you are not. There are simply too many idiots in the world nowadays. They outnumber those of us who realize that, even if Tech is ranked #2 in the nation, we are Oklahoma. We are supposed to beat schools like Tech, even if they're ranked #1 and we're coached by Boo himself. Storming the field would just be another way of saying that Oklahoma football has lost its identity thanks to these bowl game losses. Maybe it would even wake Stoops up a bit to see, first-hand, what his team's postseason play has done to the expectations of the fan base.

...we storm the field after beating f'ing Tech.

If fans are planning to storm the field, I'd rather we went ahead and lost. Storm it then. THAT'LL get their attention.

If we beat Tech and don't storm the field, I will literally cry. Because, to that point, I will have lost hope in humanity. Seeing Sooner fans NOT storm the field...? It would give me back a glimmer of hope yet again.

the_ouskull

PDXsooner
11/10/2008, 08:29 PM
this is how big it is. it'll be the first OU home game i've gone to since oregon in 2004. just got my plane ticket today -- YEAH BOYEEEEE!!!!

swardboy
11/10/2008, 08:46 PM
Late season game with huge implications......

"Tis good to be a Sooner!!!

PalmBeachSooner
11/10/2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think a game against Taco Tech should EVER, EVER be considered the biggest game in Norman in the Stoops era or any era and shame on anyone who says otherwise. I don't care where TT is ranked. One win against Texas in this decade or whatever it is, only garners Tech minimal spek. I love Leach but as a head coach he does not have a signature win(s) on his resume. Until he does, then he and Tech are wannabees. I have no reason to believe that TT can win a game of this magnitude on the road. What do they know about competing for a conference championship, let alone the MNC. They are the Mizzou of the Big12 south...until further notice.

I ain't skeered!

p.s. (I am married to a Longhorn and she insists the sand aggies are the suck).

p.s.s. (She made me include that, but hard to argue the point).

josh09
11/11/2008, 12:18 AM
1. OU-NU 2000
2. OU-TT 2008
3. OU-MIZZOU 2007
4. OU-BAMA 2002
5. OU-OSU 2001

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 10:25 AM
The point is most big games in the Stoops era haven't really taken place at home. The most memorable were 2000 Nebraska and 2002 Alabama. After that? Eh...

But I think that speaks more to our domination at home than anything.

badger
11/11/2008, 10:33 AM
If it hasn't been said already, the Tech fans are fickle and quite annoying if the game is at night (in general, not talking about all Red Raider fans). I'm happy for Leach and all, but some (again, not all) of the Red Raider fans have no exactly been nice to visiting crowds and away crowds this season via thrown objects, bad words, etc.

Thus, I plead, as a Sooner fan without tickets of my own I'll admit, but a Sooner fan nonetheless, PLEASE. If you have spare tickets to the OU-Tech game, find it in your heart to find a Sooner fan to sell your spare(s) to.

KingBarry
11/11/2008, 10:39 AM
Really good question but does it really matter?

But the Sooners are 7 and 0 in games that I've taken my daughter to. I have got to find some tickets for this game. That plus the Big 12 Championship Game of course.

You might want to think about taking your daughter to Stillwater two weeks later. Just sayin'

Sooner04
11/11/2008, 10:50 AM
I was at the 2000 Nebraska game. I'll be, God willing, at the 2008 Tech game.

I don't see any way next Saturday's game could touch the 2000 Nebraska game. I've never seen Owen Field as jacked as it was that day. Students camping out all night the evening before. Electricity all over campus from the early morning hours right up until game time. The loudest "Boomer Sooner" chant I've ever heard.

It was incredible. It will be loud next Saturday, but the 2000 Nebraska game was off the charts.

The Maestro
11/11/2008, 10:55 AM
I was at the 2000 Nebraska game. I'll be, God willing, at the 2008 Tech game.

I don't see any way next Saturday's game could touch the 2000 Nebraska game. I've never seen Owen Field as jacked as it was that day. Students camping out all night the evening before. Electricity all over campus from the early morning hours right up until game time. The loudest "Boomer Sooner" chant I've ever heard.

It was incredible. It will be loud next Saturday, but the 2000 Nebraska game was off the charts.

By far the best OU game I have ever been to and the proudest I was of the OU fans. Noisest and rowdiest fans at OU ever. And sitting in the Nebraska section was great!

Sooner Among The Pack
11/11/2008, 01:32 PM
1. 2008 Oklahoma/TTU
2. 2000 Oklahoma/Nebraska
3. 2007 Oklahoma/Missouri
4. 1999 Oklahoma/Texas A&M
5. 2002 Oklahoma/Alabama

I would argue that the 2003 OU/OSU game has to be a top 5 Stoops-era home game, especially with Lester's smack. Crowd was ballistic.

OUMallen
11/17/2008, 01:22 PM
By far the best OU game I have ever been to and the proudest I was of the OU fans. Noisest and rowdiest fans at OU ever. And sitting in the Nebraska section was great!

Revenge game of 52-9 on OSU, 4-down goalline stand in the north endzone....loudest moment I've ever heard in the stadium, but it wasn't start-to-finish loud like 2000 NU was. That was an amazing day.

A Horn
11/17/2008, 02:04 PM
No way. Tech, while a very good team with a hot hand, is not near good enough to pull this one off, surely OU has faced stiffer competition in Norman, ignoring the rankings of the matchup.

Tech needed Texas' worst game of the year, and a dropped interception in the biggest game in the history of their program at home at night, to squeek by.

I don't see this game being very close, although fun to watch, you guys should win this one by double digits.

I can only imagine how yalls players feel considering that BS upset last year in Lubbock, I would think its payback time for some of your players who felt they deserved a shot at the NC last year.

BoonesFarmSooner
11/17/2008, 02:44 PM
I didn't see the whole game, but wasn't Tech leading in 58 of the 60 minutes of that game with the horns?

And Texas gets a flag picked up when there were two blatent blocks in the back on Shipley's TD run and a complete BS offensive pass interference call on the goal line by Crabtree that took points off the board.

No matter what happens Saturday night, Tech should not be ranked below Texas. They settled it on the field! ;-)

Blues1
11/17/2008, 02:57 PM
The Next Game is Always "The Biggest" ---- :)

OU 57 Tech 33

birddog
11/17/2008, 03:05 PM
i don't think this game amounts to 2000 (hmmm...am i being bias) only bcuz even if we win, we're not guaranteed even a shot at a conference championship. its wrong but true. and i think you DO have to put the history around NU OU into play, and the coming out party and the fact that BOTH teams were undefeated...that was kinda magical. and at that point i think they were 1 and we were 2 or 3 (depending on which poll). sure my bias helps (cough...we kicked they a$$...cough) so let's just hope our boys show up and show out.

ohh and it just brings chills to my spine when our own fans just give away a 01 NC to Miami...our qb may have been an achillies heel, but "that's why they play the game" (granite, i was hurt by then, but we still had gorilla nuts at that time)

that UM team was a lot like our 04 team...used to hitting people in the mouth and not geting hit back...i'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be expecting the kind of hit they'd get from our defense...we still had play makers all over the offense (q-griffin, mark clayton, fagan, savage, norman, t-smith...etc etc) who had plenty of big game exp. its not like it was a totally different team from 00....i'm just saying "that's why they play the game"

NU was #2 when we lost to them at their house and we were one 'our qb trips over his own feet before catching the winning TD...and they see the play run the identical play and theirs doesn't trip' play away from winning that one...

i'll agree with you on this. that 2000 game brought the pride back to OU football. we had so many bad seasons and we weren't used to it. that 2000 nu game said, "ok, we're back to normal again."

i mean we rushed the field after that nu 2000, and we haven't rushed the field since then.

The Maestro
11/17/2008, 04:03 PM
I didn't see the whole game, but wasn't Tech leading in 58 of the 60 minutes of that game with the horns?

And Texas gets a flag picked up when there were two blatent blocks in the back on Shipley's TD run and a complete BS offensive pass interference call on the goal line by Crabtree that took points off the board.

No matter what happens Saturday night, Tech should not be ranked below Texas. They settled it on the field! ;-)

Bingo. The same argument folks use to have Texas ranked ahead of OU if both are 11-1 can be said of Tech over Texas...or us over Tech if we win. It is three teams, identical spots...and really boils down to TCU/Cincy vs. Missouri/Rice. Those are the major differences in the two schedules.

SoonerDood
11/17/2008, 04:32 PM
2000 Nebraska. Far and away #1. If you weren't there, you wouldn't understand.

2002 Texas Tech- This game flies under the radar, but the South Title was on the line. Kingsbury came in with some hype, and we smacked them down in a game that wasn't as close as the 60-15 final. Erin Andrews still worked for TBS. :hot:

2003 OSU- could be #2, but this was more Revenge than having something at stake. The Goal Line Stand made NormanPride cry in a great way.:D

1999 OSU- Sooners at 6-4, Aggy at 5-5. A win by OSU would have given the Big XII 8 bowl eligible teams with only 6 bowl slots, and OU losing to three other 6-5 teams. Local media pimps OSU hard for this one (big surprise) and the Sooners lay the smackdown on their orange candy asses.

2008 Texas Tech- TBD, but I'd guess around #2 or #3.

Boooom!
11/17/2008, 04:39 PM
Greetings all!

I believe that this is the biggest game of Stoop's era at Oklahoma (to present). While 2000 Neb game was big in defining Stoops and his future here and as a head coach, this game will, imo, establish in the minds of the pundits whether OU is even worth consideration as a "leader" in college football year in and year out.

We have an enormous pressure on us to show that we can go the distance and not choke at the end. Stoops is loosing his "Big Game Bob" status (or has already lost it)..in a hurry. I feel that while we are considered a very good team, I cant help to also feel that many think our ranking is "fluff-n-stuff", and that everyone is just waiting for the inevitable to happen (fall flat on our faces) against "real" competition.

This game is the PERFECT opportunity for us to step forward and [re]define ourselves because everyone knows TT is for real. And if we can take it too em, I believe it will erase any doubt in the minds of the "what have you done for me lately's" .