PDA

View Full Version : Things that anger me about the media.

jthomasou78
11/10/2008, 08:08 AM
It seems like a common belief that Texas Tech got a miracle play to beat Texas. It seems everyone forgets that Texas Tech lead the entire game. That if Crabtree does not make a touchdown they are still in field goal range to kick to win the game. The media makes it sound as though Texas Tech pulled off a 90 yard hook and latteral with 40 latterals to steal a victory from the Longhorns.

Second, it seems to many that it would be highway robbery for Oklahoma to pass Texas in the BCS standings if we win out. What about Texas Tech would it e fair for Tech to be passed by Texas? Under that logic how can Florida be ranked against Ole Miss who they lost to at home?

Finally, I live in Florida. My wife is a Florida grad. There is no way that Florida should be ranked ahead of us. There is some insane idea out there that the SEC is still the be all end all of conferences. Penn State has played a tougher schedule then Alabama to this point. Florida has beaten an over rated Georgia and LSU team and that is it.

MojoRisen
11/10/2008, 09:11 AM
Texas Tech - beats Texas and Hammers OKie Lite... There should be no confusion on who is the better team with Tech or Texas...

A win over Texas Tech - should out weigh a close loss to Texas... This isn't kool aid... Think about it - right now Texas Tech has smoked everyone and is number 2 in the nation..

If we win, we need to be moved ahead of Texas and Florida before the CCG's.

If we had lost to Tech and only had an undefeated #2 Texas- clearly people would say that the winner should go in a 3 way tie...

Beat Tech and Beat OSU by more than 4 points and I fail to see Texas Argument anymore - this stuff happens all the time and they lost a game later in the season...

SoonersEnFuego
11/10/2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but the points don't really come in to play (4).
But style points do. We need to hammer everyone just to make sure. If we beat someone by 5, it's not going to impress anyone.

MiccoMacey
11/10/2008, 09:23 AM
I've said all along, you can't be behind for over 58 minutes and claim someone "stole" the game from you. Texas has no more claim to being shafted than A&M does this week. So I agree with your first post.

And once we beat Tech, the argument for not surpassing Texas goes out the window. All three teams with one loss. All three teams with identical 10-1 records. It comes down to who's playing better. We should pass them.

I disagree about Florida...and know I'll take some heat. I think they are the best one-loss team, and probably the best team in the nation right now. It's not necessarily who they've beaten, but how they've done it.

Their defense is light years above ours. Add in they have a great offense as well, and I can see how people are giving them the nod.

Unfortunately, the BCS makes people look at SOS way too much...sometimes you just have to use your eye and evaluate talent...and they've got the same talent level we do. To me (and I'm not saying we don't look great), they just look better.

stoopified
11/10/2008, 10:09 AM
I

Their defense is light years above ours. Add in they have a great offense as well, and I can see how people are giving them the noThe UF D is LGHT-YEARS beyond OU?If you just look at stats ,maybe.Consider this before you jump to that conclusion just based on UF having better D stats than OU: OU has played FIVE teams in the TOP 25 SCORING in the country(and we have 2 more left-TT,oSu).UT is #5,KSU #20,KU #21,TCU #22,Nebraska#23.By contrast the Gators have played THREE Top 40 scoring offenses-#28 Georgia,#34 LSU,#40 Vanderbilt.I'm thinking the difference in offenses faced skews the numbers quite a bit.I wonder what UF's D numbers would look like if they played 5 of the TOP 25 scoring teams in the country?

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 10:15 AM
I, as well, don't agree the Florida defense is that much better than OU's. The SEC has probably never had worse offenses than this year. The LSU quarterback is the worst D-1 starter I have seen...maybe since Jake Sills.

Auburn, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Vandy...I could name more.

The marquee QB outside of Tebow in the league is Matthew Freaking Stafford...who is STILL waiting for his first big win in college.

Florida deserves to be right there, but to say they are the best team...eh. I would bet they would have other losses if they had OU, Texas, or Texas Tech's schedule. And they are the one's that lost to a team they shouldn't have at this point. No shame in OU or Texas losses.

Widescreen
11/10/2008, 10:33 AM
The UF D is LGHT-YEARS beyond OU?If you just look at stats ,maybe.Consider this before you jump to that conclusion just based on UF having better D stats than OU: OU has played FIVE teams in the TOP 25 SCORING in the country(and we have 2 more left-TT,oSu).UT is #5,KSU #20,KU #21,TCU #22,Nebraska#23.By contrast the Gators have played THREE Top 40 scoring offenses-#28 Georgia,#34 LSU,#40 Vanderbilt.I'm thinking the difference in offenses faced skews the numbers quite a bit.I wonder what UF's D numbers would look like if they played 5 of the TOP 25 scoring teams in the country?

Those offenses are rated low because they had to play that awesome UF defense. :D

MiccoMacey
11/10/2008, 01:31 PM
Let me put it this way...I don't have any more problem with Florida/Texas/OU being in the lead. It's all irrelevant at this point. It will all wash out in three weeks.

cvsooner
11/10/2008, 03:16 PM
The miracle play was the safety dropping the interception. That's why Texas fans think Tech stole it. They literally had victory in their grasp, and then...phfft.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 03:30 PM
they backed Barack Obama? that angers me too.

cheezyq
11/10/2008, 04:05 PM
I disagree about Florida...and know I'll take some heat. I think they are the best one-loss team, and probably the best team in the nation right now. It's not necessarily who they've beaten, but how they've done it.

Their defense is light years above ours. Add in they have a great offense as well, and I can see how people are giving them the nod.

Unfortunately, the BCS makes people look at SOS way too much...sometimes you just have to use your eye and evaluate talent...and they've got the same talent level we do. To me (and I'm not saying we don't look great), they just look better.

My problem is with the conflicting arguments that "experts" use to validate Florida and at the same time discount OU.

Mark May said emphatically that Texas MUST be ranked over OU. I don't disagree with that. UT beat OU. Things should even out for us if/when we beat Tech, and once that comes into play, our schedule, which has overall been tougher, should move us ahead.

In the same breath, he says that past losses don't matter when it comes to Florida because of how they are playing NOW. That's a bunch of 2-faced BS. If you you're counting out past losses, I'd say emphatically that OU has been just as impressive over a longer span of time. And Florida has no "excuses" to blame their loss on with Ole Miss. OU suffered a key injury during the game. OU also suffered through poor officiating. Florida just played poorly.

OU has destroyed EVERYONE except for UT. The next closest game was 35-10 against TCU, a top 20 team who just happened to throw in a late TD after the game was already decided. All of OU's games have been decided in the 3rd quarter or earlier.

If they would just use one un-biased set of criteria to rank their teams, OU comes out ahead of Florida in all scenarios. But they use selective criteria for each situation as a biased way to throw their fave into the mix.

Here is the ONLY reasonable way to rank the top 5:
1. Alabama
2. Texas Tech
3. Texas
4. OU
5. Florida

Everything else is BS...simple as that.

P.S. - BCS doesn't give a crap about SOS. BCS is all about perception and media favorites since they minimized the computers about 4 years ago.

oumartin
11/10/2008, 04:14 PM
So, OU beats Tech will it be

1. Alabama
2. Florida
3a. Oklahoma
3b. Texas
3c. Texas Tech

I mean since all three lost to each other in some form or fashion its only fair to rank em like they do in other ties. O comes before T in the alphabet.

So, OU gets the nod. :)

stoopified
11/10/2008, 04:25 PM
So, OU beats Tech will it be

1. Alabama
2. Florida
3a. Oklahoma
3b. Texas
3c. Texas Tech

I mean since all three lost to each other in some form or fashion its only fair to rank em like they do in other ties. O comes before T in the alphabet.

So, OU gets the nod. :)Not only that but since Oklahoma sits above Texas there should NEVER be any queation as to who is on top. :)

Sooner1979
11/10/2008, 05:25 PM
I've said all along, you can't be behind for over 58 minutes and claim someone "stole" the game from you. Texas has no more claim to being shafted than A&M does this week. So I agree with your first post.

And once we beat Tech, the argument for not surpassing Texas goes out the window. All three teams with one loss. All three teams with identical 10-1 records. It comes down to who's playing better. We should pass them.

How can you say that about Florida? What offensive powerhouse has Florida really played...I dont care how badly they beat Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Miami or even Hawaii...OU has beaten teams equal or better than those teams just as bad, but did not lose to an unranked POS on their HOME FIELD...OU's resume is more impressive, therefore they should be ranked higher based on the fact that they lost to a bad team on their OWN field, when our only loss was to a Top 5 opponent away of which we led by 11 points twice in the game...Also, we lost our best linebacker in the game which turned out to be a huge loss for our defense...So NO, I do not buy the fact that Florida is a more impressive team or even that they have played better than OU...

They should have never jumped OU...When they jumped OU, OU had not lost or even played a close game to a pathetic opponent...

It sounds to me that you are listening to the talking heads on ESPN too much and not thinking about the actual statistics or logic...

I examined both OU's and Florida's schedules and computed an average of each team both schools have played and will play...OU's schedule is much tougher than anything Florida has done or will do...

hink4769
11/10/2008, 05:43 PM
There really is no logical reason to rank Florida ahead of OU. Absolutley none. I'm not much for style points and all that. I've seen alot of teams put up gawdy numbers week after week and then stumble against some random opponent (I remember 90's Florida teams doing this). This Florida team has already shown it can do that, meanwhile OU has blown out everyone except a top-5 team. For OU to lose a home game, it would take a very good opponent and that opponent would have to play exceptional.

Sooner1979
11/10/2008, 05:50 PM
How can you say that about Florida? What offensive powerhouse has Florida really played...I dont care how badly they beat Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Miami or even Hawaii...OU has beaten teams equal or better than those teams just as bad, but did not lose to an unranked POS on their HOME FIELD...OU's resume is more impressive, therefore they should be ranked higher based on the fact that they lost to a bad team on their OWN field, when our only loss was to a Top 5 opponent away of which we led by 11 points twice in the game...Also, we lost our best linebacker in the game which turned out to be a huge loss for our defense...So NO, I do not buy the fact that Florida is a more impressive team or even that they have played better than OU...

They should have never jumped OU...When they jumped OU, OU had not lost or even played a close game to a pathetic opponent...

It sounds to me that you are listening to the talking heads on ESPN too much and not thinking about the actual statistics or logic...

I examined both OU's and Florida's schedules and computed an average of each team both schools have played and will play...OU's schedule is much tougher than anything Florida has done or will do...

Great point Sooner1979...It almost sounds too logical though...Sometimes logic is underrated and replaced with media bias...The media has a huge influence on who wins or where they are ranked...A perfect example of this is a non-sports issue, and that is the Presidential Election...Sure, people had to vote for Obama in order for him to win, but who did the media want to win? Like it or not, the media bias is why Obama got the love pre-election and therefore got the love from the people...If the media would have covered both campaigns equally, the election probably would have had much different results...Same as the BCS...

Widescreen
11/10/2008, 05:53 PM
Great point Sooner1979...It almost sounds too logical though...Sometimes logic is underrated and replaced with media bias...The media has a huge influence on who wins or where they are ranked...A perfect example of this is a non-sports issue, and that is the Presidential Election...Sure, people had to vote for Obama in order for him to win, but who did the media want to win? Like it or not, the media bias is why Obama got the love pre-election and therefore got the love from the people...If the media would have covered both campaigns equally, the election probably would have had much different results...Same as the BCS...

Good job agreeing with your own post. :confused:

1890MilesToNorman
11/10/2008, 06:15 PM
Tech dominated Texas all night, Texas lead for about 1 min and 25 seconds late in the 4th Q. Justice was served with Crabtree's TD with 1 second left for the win.

The media has it's head up it's a$$, not just in sports but all facets of life.

Sooner1979
11/10/2008, 07:07 PM
Good job agreeing with your own post. :confused:

I thought so too...

okiewaker
11/10/2008, 07:20 PM
they backed Barack Obama? that angers me too.

My thoughts exactly!!!

SoonerSoph
11/10/2008, 10:30 PM
Politics should be left out... Media members in politics are usually more educated because statistics show the more educated you are the more likely you are to lean democratic. No slap towards republicans, I know plenty of smart ones and plenty of dumbarse democrats. But football media bias is a result of regions. And there aren't many people from Oklahoma working for ESPN.

Iam4OUru
11/10/2008, 10:49 PM
Current Sagarin SOS ranking:

Texas (8)
Florida (9)
OU (43)
Texas Tech (45)
Okie St. (56)
Bammer (58)