PDA

View Full Version : BCS Scenario Opinion

jkjsooner
11/9/2008, 07:51 PM
What's your opinion if the following plays out.

OU/Tech/UT all end in a 3 way tie.
UT goes to the title game with the higher BCS ranking.
UF/Bama wins out and the winner of the SEC champ game gets in the NCG.
UT loses in the Big 12 championship game.

Is it fair for OU to play the SEC winner in the BCS champ game?

Two ways to look at it:

1. A view from within the Big 12 South - How fair is it that we make the national title game because Texas lost a game that we did not qualify to play in.

2. A view from outside the Big 12 South - How fair is it that USC (a team that also did not play in a CCG) goes to the national title game simply because it would be unfair for OU to go instead of Texas?

This year may be a year where veiwpoint 1 has less weight considering the Big 12 south winner was chosen on the 4th or 5th tie-breaker and OU and Tech both have claims over Texas even before Texas's conference championship game loss.

It still bothers me because years ago we were undefeated and UT had one loss - to us. UT fans were hoping for an OU loss in the conf title game as that might move them into the title. It just struck me as patently unfair.

As a side note, when one day we get an eight team playoff, I think it will make the most sense to pick those eight teams prior to the CCG. If you don't do that, I guarantee you that you will see conference get rid of their CCG (and that would be sad).

hink4769
11/9/2008, 08:04 PM
It actually seems pretty fair to me for OU to go instead of UT in this case. UT would have had the chance to put themselves into the NC game, and if they didn't capitalize it would goto OU. I think since UT was determined to be the winner of the South it would be fair that they would be put in the position to determine their own destiny, which in my opinion is better than sitting at home hoping for a team to lose.

OK2LA
11/9/2008, 08:10 PM
Do you pronounce it Sin-air-E-oh or Sin-ARE-E-oh?