PDA

View Full Version : Austin Box

8timechamps
11/9/2008, 05:23 PM
I know alot has been said about our defense over the season, but I think we can all agree that the last couple of weeks the defense has stepped up their game.

I was really impressed with how Austin Box played yesterday. Before ABC decided that viewers in Colorado would rather watch Florida State, I was able to see Box playing MLB the way our coaches thought he could.

At one point in the first half, they mentioned that he already had 6 tackles, and seemed to be around the ball most of the time and even had a pick.

I feel alot better after seeing AB getting comfortable. He may end up being one of the good ones over the next few years.

aero
11/9/2008, 06:15 PM
It was good to see Box get some PT. It was also good to not see more injuries. It was also good to see TexAM's offense. Our D needed all of the above. I don't think anybody ever thought we didn't have good players. We do.

BuckyB
11/9/2008, 06:29 PM
I agree our D looked strong. take away their 2 long kick returns and we probably hold them to 14 points. That's a very good day for the defense.

CK Sooner
11/9/2008, 06:30 PM
:D

TXBOOMER
11/9/2008, 08:25 PM
Box is making great strides no doubt, hopefully he will improve as much for the next game. I can't believe the tough spots the kickoff team is putting our defense in.

SCxxSOONER
11/9/2008, 08:56 PM
Box did play very well yesterday. It seemed to me on every play he was in on the tackle, definitely making big strides.

St. Louis Sooner
11/9/2008, 10:34 PM
anyone know how his blind side by jaworski lane (sp?) turned out? he got laid out on the sideline then had coaches all over him ... i hope it was nothing serious

DallasSooner87
11/9/2008, 10:52 PM
anyone know how his blind side by jaworski lane (sp?) turned out? he got laid out on the sideline then had coaches all over him ... i hope it was nothing serious

He went back in a couple of plays after.

DallasSooner87
11/9/2008, 10:54 PM
Before ABC decided that viewers in Colorado would rather watch Florida State, I was able to see Box playing MLB the way our coaches thought he could.

This is funny cause the head ref said in that Colorado called a timeout. Instead of A&M. I thought that was pretty funny.:D

St. Louis Sooner
11/9/2008, 10:57 PM
gracias DS87, i could not keep watching the game ... i am much relieved;

Toronto Sooner
11/10/2008, 02:27 AM
I liked Box a lot. Also, I thought Frank Alexander was awesome. I don't believe his tackle stats were high, but it seems as if he was disruptive on almost every play. I've always thought the talent of our top D-line players (Beal, McCoy, Granger, English) were A grade (NFL type) talent. They have done well this season, but each game I've walked away feeling they have underachieved, relative to their potential. They always get pressure on the quarterbacks, but they seem to have problems wrapping up (tackling). I think it might have a lot to do with Big 12 quarterbacks, and their abilities to scramble (they just out run the big D-line guys enough), and then hit the short guy for first down. It's frustrating as heck to watch. Well, against A&M, I didn't feel that way. The D-line was incredible on almost every play. It was amazing to watch. However, I think the entire Defence contributed to that success. Here were some of the keys (IMO):

*I think Frank has brought a lot of energy to the D-line, and the other guys are feeding off of it (nothing against Austin, as I think Austin is a great too, and probably still gets double teamed a lot).

*Development of Box at MLB (fewer opportunities for easy qb dump off in the middle, the way Colt McCoy killed us after RR was injured)

*Improving play by safeties and db's - better down field coverage means fewer targets for opposing qb's

*With each passing game linebackers and safeties are increasing the viciousness of the punishment to opposing players (Travis, Keenan, Box, Nic, Lenny) - it's either knocking balls loose or making the receivers hear footsteps

*Players are getting more familiar with system (especially positioning), as well as players talking the past defensive failures personally (with pride and hard work now starting to show)

*I think Venables was more aggressive against A&M. He didn't lay back as much, and give up the easy underneath stuff (albeit the A&M qb was not as accomplished as some qb's we have faced). It seemed like he clogged the middle, with heavy focus on aggressive containment (they pounced on anyone that crossed the line) - excellent execution on gap assignments

Clearly, our defense is still no where near Oklahoma standards, but I think it is improving significantly each week (based on the points I have highlighted). As such, I think our defense will step up against Texas Tech. We will not completely stop Tech, but I think we will limit them quite a bit. I think a combination of our D-line moving their qb out of his comfort zone, coupled with our linebackers and safeties clogging up the short passing areas (which is Tech's bread and butter), and our db's continuing to get better, will lead to a solid performance.