PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Genius . . . You're the DC

PLaw
11/9/2008, 04:47 PM
Okay, Genius . . . you're the DC. What is your gameplan to stop the Tech?

WildBlueSooner
11/9/2008, 04:48 PM
Do not let them score!

BrockLanders
11/9/2008, 04:50 PM
bring the house....and hope our offense scores alot

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2008, 04:51 PM
On-side kick after every TD. If we get one or two of them, we're golden :D

WildBlueSooner
11/9/2008, 04:51 PM
Kidnap Mike the pirate!

MyT Oklahoma
11/9/2008, 04:52 PM
^^ All of the above.

WildBlueSooner
11/9/2008, 04:53 PM
Trick Mike to sign a trade...Crabtree for Jimmy Stevens!

WildBlueSooner
11/9/2008, 05:00 PM
Let out kickoff team play defense.

sooner13f
11/9/2008, 05:02 PM
Did anyone see the Nebish/TT game. They seem to do a good job. A&M did a good job the first half.

DallasSooner87
11/9/2008, 05:13 PM
Pray

westcoast_sooner
11/9/2008, 05:14 PM
Make someone other than Crabtree beat you. Harrell is gonna make his throws, get some yards, and they'll move the ball. But Crabtree makes their offense go from a short 5-7 yard per catch deal to a dangerous gamebreaker.

Put pressure on Harrell - he moves well, but it can be done. But make sure we're getting that pressure with our front 4. Bring blitz pressure once in awhile - show it and drop out - mix things up. Give them a little of the "we didn't see that in their previous games" and make them made adjustments. I think with a healthy D-Line, guys getting better, we'll give them a better showing than OSU or Texas did.

8timechamps
11/9/2008, 05:14 PM
You can't stop TT, we can only hope to contain them.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2008, 05:31 PM
OSU used the playing field to contain them and the endzone to stop them. We need to do something else. :)

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2008, 05:39 PM
OSU used the "bend, don't break" defense. Unfortunately, their defense bent past their own end zone.

swardboy
11/9/2008, 05:44 PM
Get a 12th man in the secondary somehow.....

OUmillenium
11/9/2008, 06:19 PM
Tech schemes to shut down the opponents biggest weapon...Shipley, Dez Bryant. Who will they scheme to shut down for us?

Why doesn't BV ever give that a try?

Sooner98
11/9/2008, 06:26 PM
1. Watch the game film for OSU/Tech

2. Do the exact opposite of whatever OSU did.

sooner94
11/9/2008, 06:32 PM
Make someone other than Crabtree beat you. Harrell is gonna make his throws, get some yards, and they'll move the ball. But Crabtree makes their offense go from a short 5-7 yard per catch deal to a dangerous gamebreaker.

Put pressure on Harrell - he moves well, but it can be done. But make sure we're getting that pressure with our front 4. Bring blitz pressure once in awhile - show it and drop out - mix things up. Give them a little of the "we didn't see that in their previous games" and make them made adjustments. I think with a healthy D-Line, guys getting better, we'll give them a better showing than OSU or Texas did.

I agree. Easier said than done though. I think we need to bring someone on the blitz to get them out of rythm. Disguising it is key. Also, I think we will run it more than we have all year.

I'm looking forward to this game.

Dan Thompson
11/9/2008, 06:33 PM
Use Nancy Pelsoi as the nose guard.

Maybe we can do a hurry up offense, show them some D and O formations they have not seen, show them some D and O they have seen, but put a little
BAMA into the game, sort of like BSU.

okiewaker
11/9/2008, 06:35 PM
Have hotel personnel spike the tech's O-lines orange juice with vodka on saturday morning.

sooner94
11/9/2008, 06:57 PM
Have hotel personnel spike Mike Leach's orange juice with vodka on saturday morning.

Don't they do that for every game?

A-M
11/9/2008, 07:03 PM
Have hotel personnel spike the tech's O-lines orange juice with vodka on saturday morning.

I like this, but lets add some extremely strong sleeping medication from a real doctor so that it will work for about 12-15 hours.:D

SoonerinSouthlake
11/9/2008, 07:04 PM
long drives (by us). Run the ball(like against AtM, not like against TCU). Keep thier offense off the field.

Not sure if we can actually do it...but it would be great.

Blues1
11/9/2008, 07:04 PM
If you want to Beat "The Mad Science Man" - Be a More Crazy....!!!!

I would use a BUNCH of Crazy Defense's

Example -# 1
2 down line men
5 Line Backers
4 safeties

Example # 2
1 Down Line Man
6 Line Backers
4 Safeties

Example # 3
0 Down Line Men
7 Line Backers
4 Safeties

Example #4
9 Down Line Men
2 Safeties

You Get The Idea ---- :)

Keep Rockin'

tommieharris91
11/9/2008, 07:06 PM
Have hotel personnel spike the tech's O-lines orange juice with ex-lax on saturday morning.

Fixed.

Turd_Ferguson
11/9/2008, 07:07 PM

I would use a BUNCH of Crazy Defense's

Example -# 1
2 down line men
5 Line Backers
4 safeties

Example # 2
1 Down Line Man
6 Line Backers
4 Safeties

Example # 3
0 Down Line Men
7 Line Backers
4 Safeties

Example #4
9 Down Line Men
2 Safeties

You Get The Idea ---- :)

Keep Rockin'Is that you Lester:confused:
:D

tommieharris91
11/9/2008, 07:08 PM
Example # 3
0 Down Line Men
7 Line Backers
4 Safeties

I wanna see some of that if we decide to blitz. We don't even need to sub in backers, just stand up our DLs. Just confuse everyone so their line doesn't know who's coming.

Turd_Ferguson
11/9/2008, 07:08 PM
Fixed.Motel 6 don't have no OJ:D

CORNholio
11/9/2008, 07:12 PM
play 12 guys and hope nobody notices.

wileyousooner
11/9/2008, 07:15 PM
okay, where is the confidence in our defense? they will be better in two weeks. plus that gives us two weeks to work on a few trick plays. our running game is fine and so is the passing game. special teams need a lot of work. why haven't i seen a thread calling for the resignation of chris wilson, the special teams coach? their play has been terrible this year. that is the only thing that scares me for this game. it will be a great matchup. i can't wait.

okiewaker
11/9/2008, 07:16 PM
Fixed.

Yeah, this will work good as well. I will place the "bathroom out of order" signs.

Curly Bill
11/9/2008, 07:16 PM
okay, where is the confidence in our defense? they will be better in two weeks. plus that gives us two weeks to work on a few trick plays. our running game is fine and so is the passing game. special teams need a lot of work. why haven't i seen a thread calling for the resignation of chris wilson, the special teams coach? their play has been terrible this year. that is the only thing that scares me for this game. it will be a great matchup. i can't wait.

Seriously?

Rogue
11/9/2008, 07:43 PM
Tackle, tackle, tackle. That's what it takes. TT's offense is predicated on making the first guy miss. That's why the receivers all make a move immediately after catching the ball...2/3 of the time it's not an downfield move but a lateral of backwards move designed to get into open space.

And keep a back in the middle to shut down the shuttle.

the_ouskull
11/9/2008, 08:12 PM
Funny Ha-Ha Answer: Stop letting their players "be themselves." I heard a bit on ESPN Radio about that this week and it made me want to tuck my junk between my legs and sing "Wild Horses." As if Greybush the Pirate was the first coach to ever let his players dress the way they want to...

Real Answer: I think that we have to allow our corners to play man-to-man defense against Tech's receivers other than Crabtree, and I think that we have to either double or at least shade Crabtree with either a LB or a Safety (in addition to the corner playing man) depending on the rest of the coverage and where he could do the most damage to us on a given play. Their running game doesn't scare me.

However, now that I've said that, 1) I don't think that our defense has been ballsy enough to play man-to-man defense since the early decade, and 2) their running game will kill us, because I'm an idiot. At least if their run game beats us, Sam will jump Harrell for the Heisman, right? Right? Am I right?

We have the athletes to stay with Tech's receivers, except for Crabtree and maybe Lewis, (although Lewis has only seen the end zone once this year, he's still their second-leading receiver, and a big target for a receiver at 6'0", 209) so it would make sense to play them M2M, especially since we haven't played a lot of man and it would be a new look, not to mention one that suits the players we have on the field, as well as the team against whom we'll be playing.

And THAT is why we'll stick with a short zone that Harrell will buttf*ck in the mouth. If we pull off the win, it will be because of big plays on defense, not good play on defense. There's also a chance that we out-gun them, but with our defense, I question that a bit.

the_ouskull

Since71ASooner4Life
11/9/2008, 08:27 PM
You're not allowed to ask a trick question like that. I'm one of these novice fans who thinks I know better than those who are paid to do the job, and knows exactly what to do. But I'm too smart to commit myself - I'm gonna sit back and wait to see the outcome of the game, then criticize where I see fault. I'll then reveal what I would have done better.

PLaw
11/9/2008, 10:42 PM
Real Answer: I think that we have to allow our corners to play man-to-man defense against Tech's receivers other than Crabtree, and I think that we have to either double or at least shade Crabtree with either a LB or a Safety (in addition to the corner playing man) depending on the rest of the coverage and where he could do the most damage to us on a given play. Their running game doesn't scare me.

However, now that I've said that, 1) I don't think that our defense has been ballsy enough to play man-to-man defense since the early decade, and 2) their running game will kill us, because I'm an idiot. At least if their run game beats us, Sam will jump Harrell for the Heisman, right? Right? Am I right?

the_ouskull

Okay, here is what I think you do . . .

1) Double team Crab and jam the other receivers at the line.

2) Any time Morris comes across the middle, take his head off.

3) Come out in the nickle and blitz frequently. Simply put, you can't let Harrell sit back and pick you apart. He needs to get hit early and often. That said, the DE's need to contain Harrell inside the tackle box.

4) Limit their opportunities by pounding Tech with the running game and burning some clock.

Okay, let's go kick some pink fader butt.

BOOMER

AzianSooner
11/9/2008, 10:49 PM
The pirates will exploit the Middle LB (Box) with short quick pass to the middle.

The tend to have a touchdown that pass over the head to the corner. Need to stop that.

They don't have long ball. I have not seen one that more than 50 yrs yet.

DON"T LET CRABTREE RUNS FREE.

mdklatt
11/9/2008, 10:52 PM
We've done pretty good defensively against Tech in recent years, so I say we do that.

colinreturn
11/9/2008, 10:52 PM
watch neb-tt game

repeat.

soonerinabilene
11/9/2008, 10:54 PM
Our offense is going to be our greatest defense. We can score quick, and we can run the ball to chew up clock.

Also, dont cover Norris with a lb, and have Brian Jackson shadow Crabtree wherever he goes.

soonerinabilene
11/9/2008, 10:56 PM
Oh, and turn Travis Lewis loose on Harrell. Get him in position to knock the dog sh*t out of him as much as possible.

mdklatt
11/9/2008, 11:03 PM
Tell everyone to quit going for the turnover and tackle the ball carrier.

JLEW1818
11/9/2008, 11:05 PM
I guarantee you that BV and Stoops will be watching the 2007 Missouri vs Tech game film.

SouthFortySooner
11/9/2008, 11:06 PM
Does anyone think this will be a great game to watch?

the_ouskull
11/9/2008, 11:07 PM
Our offense is going to be our greatest defense. We can score quick, and we can run the ball to chew up clock.

Also, dont cover Norris with a lb, and have Brian Jackson shadow Crabtree wherever he goes.

The problem being that, when we TRY to chew up clock, we get pretty predictable and much easier to stop. And, frankly, I'd trust our defense's ability to force 3 out of a drive that looked like 7 more than I would their ability to stop a 2-minute drill.

I'd rather our offense went out and pulled out every last stop in the playbook. Tried to score as often and as early as possible on every single possession. I'm just afraid (please, no smart*ss remarks about that, 'cause I HOPE you're smart enough to know what I mean) that we're going to have to outscore them in order to win the game. I don't think that we can consistently stop them; not the way that the defense has played to date this season. Do I think we have it in us to stop them? Yes, absolutely. Will we? I hope so... but where was it against KU? Against KSU? Against seemingly everybody? We're not going to set any records with this defense this season, but they have a chance to set their record straight with their play in our remaining games.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't feel like, ultimately, they will.

the_ouskull

AzianSooner
11/9/2008, 11:08 PM
Our offense must score every time but not so quick. The problem is that there are not enough DE and LBs to play a long time if TT keeps the ball. The first and formost is to win the offensive playing time. To do that, OU must have a runing game.

JLEW1818
11/9/2008, 11:14 PM
Our offense is not going to score every time and neither are they.

CatfishSooner
11/9/2008, 11:17 PM
hurt harrel and crabtree....

hgarmorer
11/9/2008, 11:22 PM
I like this, but lets add some extremely strong sleeping medication from a real doctor so that it will work for about 12-15 hours.:D

I want some of that!!

wishbonesooner
11/9/2008, 11:41 PM
tech's routes are all about timing. What if we jammed their WR's at the line? i know we haven't played like that in awhile, but throwing off harrell's timing might be the only way to stop him. he was eating OSU's blitz alive.

Mile High Sooner
11/9/2008, 11:59 PM
Well... it is the cold & flu season.

Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean-know what I mean.

illinisooner
11/10/2008, 12:45 AM
Send Lendy Holmes on a corner blitz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc5JFOmb0aY

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2008, 02:02 AM
Does anyone think this will be a great game to watch?

Not for this crowd. If we win 49-38, it won't count because we will have given up too many points and yardage. The rest of the nation might like it though. :P

Crucifax Autumn
11/10/2008, 02:16 AM
Jam them on evry play..and by jam I mean knock them on their asses and intercept the ball or slam Graham cracker to the turf.

Crucifax Autumn
11/10/2008, 02:17 AM
oh...and put mr Kiss makeup wrestler boy 6 feet under on every pass rush.

OU_Sooners75
11/10/2008, 04:31 AM
Keep it pretty basic. Get away from the complexity of our defensive package.

OUr DLine vs. their Oline: Slant stunts, with their wide gaps, this is the best way to narrow them. And with our line speed, it will benefit us a lot. Get away from cross stunts and such. Just right or left gap stunts. DE priority, containment. Be agressive, but not overly aggressive, since Tech runs the screens better than anyone. They also love to use the shuffle pass (utah pass) against overly aggressive dlines. Play disciplined....Know when Harrell is backpeddling thanks to a screen setup. Also be smart enough to know when if the Oline is letting you go or if you earned the freedom!

LBs: If in coverage, zone man (anyone entering your zone, you man up with them). Play middle thirds when playing straight zone (3rds from numbers to numbers, not sideline to sideline). When blitzing, plug gaps. I would not blitz this unit much, except in 2nd and very long (more than 10 yards) or 3rd and long. And I would not do it every time in those situations either. 1st downs, I would only blitz maybe 10% of the first downs.

DBs. Play Man under. Double team Crabtree and maybe play a cover 1 deep when doing so. AND BY ALL MEANS, BUMP THE WRS WHEN COMING OFF THE LINE! stay close when lining up to stave off the quick slants or WR screens. When blitzing, come off the corner hard and fast. out speed their protection.

Overall Planning: Blitz, but sparingly, always bring at least one more than they can account for. However, I would rely on the Dline (the strength of our Defense) to do what they do best and get after the Oline and get to Harrell. When not blitzing, disguise it. When blitzing disguise it. When you do blitz, do not bring delayed blitzes. Come hard and come fast. Coverage, play some cover one if doubling Crabtree. Use one of the LBs to play robber in the middle. Switch between man-to-man to zone coverage and stay away from cover 2. Use a max zone and allow 2 Linemen to cover the shallow flats rushing only 2 Dlinemen. The key is not to be predictable. do not settle in for teh comfortable, Leach will eventually get the best of the comfortable. Keep him guessing like we did when Mike Stoops was around.

The more you can make the offense guess, the better odds you have.

From the little I have seen from Tech this year, their offense is still the same. Meaning, the majority of the plays are pass plays that are within 5-10 yards. Their offense strives on the edges. They count on moving the ball with yards after catch. Minimize that, and it will slow them down. They do have a decent running game, but that is because the passing game is usually working to well to concentrate on the run. Get in Harrell's face. We do not have to have a ton of sacks, but if we can get to him at least 15 times, he will be flustered and trigger happy. But that will be easier said than done. Tech has a very big and very good OLine. They pass block better than anyone, except maybe OU.

I am not a Defensive Guru, I coach Offense. But this is the best way I can figure out how to at least slow them down to give you a chance in stopping the offense.

OU_Sooners75
11/10/2008, 04:44 AM
First play from scrimmage for defense...

Beat the hell out of every offensive player. It seemed to work in, "The Replacements."

OU_Sooners75
11/10/2008, 04:48 AM
I guarantee you that BV and Stoops will be watching the 2007 Missouri vs Tech game film.

Why not watch the Texas-Tech game film of 08 and the Nebraska-tech game film of 08 instead?

If we hadn't lost Bradford last year, we would have won that game. We did a decent job (defensively) against Tech last year.

SoonersEnFuego
11/10/2008, 09:34 AM

Yes, Be a More Crazy. :D You crackah me up.
I do like the idea though, just for a couple of plays. Have no down lineman but have the front 7 standing in a blitzing LB position up on the line of scrimmage. I think Memphis or someone crazy does this every once in awhile. Really screws up the O-Line.

Jerry O was saying the other day how when he would look through his legs to the QB, New England would be in a 4-3, but when he raised his head right before the snap, they would have shifted into a 3-2 or something. Keep the front 4 moving with overloading blitzes with our speedy guys during nickel or dime defenses if we even run a dime.

If it's not working early, then go back to base defense and just outscore them while getting an occasional turnover.

SoonersEnFuego
11/10/2008, 09:35 AM
First play from scrimmage for defense...

Beat the hell out of every offensive player. It seemed to work in, "The Replacements."
I like it.
Headhunt Crabtree:texan: