PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Big 12 bowling

badger
11/9/2008, 03:50 PM
Big 12 Bowl-eligible teams (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/standings):
OU, Texas Tech, Kansas, Nebraska, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Texas

Bowl tie-ins (http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1522896): BCS (Fiesta? Orange?), Cotton, Holiday, Gator (?), Alamo, Sun (?), Insight, Independence, Texas.

Note: Gator and Sun are interchangeable, with the Gator Bowl having first option.

There are also two teams that are no longer able to make bowls no matter what the outcome of the season is from here on out: Baylor and Iowa State (surprise?).

So... who goes where, who gets the final bowl tie-in (or two, if the Big 12 gets two BCS bids), etc? Thoughts?

Collier11
11/9/2008, 04:11 PM
All I know is that if we take care of business, osu's greatest season is school history will do them no better than 4th in the Division

badger
11/9/2008, 04:23 PM
All I know is that if we take care of business, osu's greatest season is school history will do them no better than 4th in the Division

Thank you for the pity reply :O I can see nobody really wants to discuss this even though it's a bye week...

But I'll try once more... here are my predictions:

MNC: OU
Fiesta Bowl: Texas Tech
Cotton: Mizzou
Holiday: Texas (vs. USC???)
Alamo: Oklahoma State
Sun: Nebraska
Insight: Kansas
Independence: Kansas State
Texas: Colorado

Why:
OU wins out. Texas Tech almost wins out, but loses to us. Mizzou has a huge fanbase, so the Cotton eats them up once again. Texas gets invited to their home-away-from-home in San Diego. The Alamo likes how OSU travels. Nebraska becomes the best pick for the Sun with its fanbase. Insight liked KU's response last year to the Orange, the Independence takes KSU, because nobody in their right mind will take CU if they aren't forced to, which the Texas bowl is.

King Crimson
11/9/2008, 04:30 PM
to be bowl eligible CU would have to win in Boulder against OSU or beat NU in Lincoln. I don't see either happening. Not impossible, but I don't see it.

WildBlueSooner
11/9/2008, 04:37 PM
I thought this thread was about bowling...not foosball!

Collier11
11/9/2008, 04:57 PM
I would laugh hysterically if usc went to the Holiday bowl but that aint happenin

snp
11/9/2008, 04:59 PM
The Sun Bowl takes a Big 12 team when the Gator Bowl does not. Both teams don't get to choose a Big 12 team in the same year.

I'll do my projections later.

tigepilot
11/9/2008, 05:26 PM
In the scenerio where OU wins out and Tech's only loss is to OU and Texas's only loss is to Tech, I think Texas would be ranked higher than Tech and in the top 4. That would make Texas an automatic to the BCS. Tech would likely fall to the Holiday bowl because I also agree that the Cotton Bowl would take Missouri but I wouldn't be suprised if it took Tech.

The rest of the predictions I don't have a problem with because, frankly, that's getting to far down for me to care.

snp
11/9/2008, 06:06 PM
I only see 7 Big 12 teams going bowling.

KSU needs to win out vs Nebraska and ISU - they lose to NU
Colorado needs to win out vs Nebraska and OSU - they lose out
A&M needs to win out vs Baylor and UT - Man that lose to Arkansas State hurts them. Not that an 8th tier bowl is glamourous, but all the extra practices would really help out a young team for next season.

Baylor and Iowa State are already eliminated from bowl contention

Big 12 Standings:

OU: 7-1
UT: 7-1
TTU: 7-1
MU: 6-2
NU: 5-3
OSU: 5-3
KU: 3-5

BCS Championship Game: Oklahoma vs Florida
Pretty obvious.

Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs Ohio State
Tech gets screwed. No bowl can pass up a cashcow like UT or Ohio State.

Cotton Bowl: Texas Tech vs LSU
Get to see that neutral site game between these two teams that was talked about in pre-season.

Holiday Bowl: Missouri vs Oregon State
Repeat of 2006 Sun Bowl. I think OSU drops a game to either Cal or UO and loses their share of the PAC-10 title.

Gator Bowl: Florida State vs Nebraska
This is the hardest to predict because I'm still unsure if the Gator Bowl will take Notre Dame if they finish with 7 wins. I'm waiting to hear from a couple ND inside guys on this but for now, I'll go with NU.

Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma State vs Wisconsin
Alamo Bowl Champs bracelets flood the streets of Stillwater.

Insight Bowl: Kansas vs Minnesota
I guess.

Thoughts?

royalfan5
11/9/2008, 06:10 PM
Prior to the Kansas game, most of the speculation about NU's destination centered around going to the Insight Bowl to play Iowa. I suppose that match up could happen in the Alamo as well. Either way, and NU/Iowa match-up would be attractive to bowl organizers as fans would love that game and travel for it on both sides.

BuckyB
11/9/2008, 06:37 PM
I would laugh hysterically if texas went to the Holiday bowl but that aint happenin

fixed.

Collier11
11/9/2008, 06:52 PM
That too

utex74
11/9/2008, 07:30 PM
OU is going to have a huge fan base in Austin for its last two games. But, unlike prevailing opinion here, I think there is an excellent chance that beating Tech and OSU does not get you to #2. If you look really good against Tech you could jump us, but if you basically have a high scoring game where the last one with the ball (you) wins I think not. You beat Tech, we beat you, so that is a wash. You have to beat OSU because a two way between Texas and Tech would go to Tech. But we both beat OSU so that is a wash. We do have the Missouri win and you were number one when we met so I think a lot of this depends on how we look the last two games vs how you look. I think it could go either way but our only way in is for you to win so, for this month ONLY, BOOM---,BOOMER SOO...BOO...Oh hell, I just can't do it. But you guys go win and we'll see what the BCS does.

Thank you for the pity reply :O I can see nobody really wants to discuss this even though it's a bye week...

Why:
OU wins out. Texas Tech almost wins out, but loses to us. Mizzou has a huge fanbase, so the Cotton eats them up once again. Texas gets invited to their home-away-from-home in San Diego. The Alamo likes how OSU travels. Nebraska becomes the best pick for the Sun with its fanbase. Insight liked KU's response last year to the Orange, the Independence takes KSU, because nobody in their right mind will take CU if they aren't forced to, which the Texas bowl is.

Blues1
11/9/2008, 07:32 PM
I only see 7 Big 12 teams going bowling.

KSU needs to win out vs Nebraska and ISU - they lose to NU
Colorado needs to win out vs Nebraska and OSU - they lose out
A&M needs to win out vs Baylor and UT - Man that lose to Arkansas State hurts them. Not that an 8th tier bowl is glamourous, but all the extra practices would really help out a young team for next season.

Baylor and Iowa State are already eliminated from bowl contention

Big 12 Standings:

OU: 7-1
UT: 7-1
TTU: 7-1
MU: 6-2
NU: 5-3
OSU: 5-3
KU: 3-5

BCS Championship Game: Oklahoma vs Florida
Pretty obvious.

Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs Ohio State
Tech gets screwed. No bowl can pass up a cashcow like UT or Ohio State.

Cotton Bowl: Texas Tech vs LSU
Get to see that neutral site game between these two teams that was talked about in pre-season.

Holiday Bowl: Missouri vs Oregon State
Repeat of 2006 Sun Bowl. I think OSU drops a game to either Cal or UO and loses their share of the PAC-10 title.

Gator Bowl: Florida State vs Nebraska
This is the hardest to predict because I'm still unsure if the Gator Bowl will take Notre Dame if they finish with 7 wins. I'm waiting to hear from a couple ND inside guys on this but for now, I'll go with NU.

Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma State vs Wisconsin
Alamo Bowl Champs bracelets flood the streets of Stillwater.

Insight Bowl: Kansas vs Minnesota
I guess.

Thoughts?

As Long as we Finish Out - I think You Nailed It ......!!!

Still R'

Blues1
11/9/2008, 07:36 PM
Just for Fun --- "Rose Bowl "

MY Crystal Ball - Say's ---{Usc vs Michigan State}

Sooner Eclipse
11/9/2008, 08:50 PM
OU is going to have a huge fan base in Austin for its last two games. But, unlike prevailing opinion here, I think there is an excellent chance that beating Tech and OSU does not get you to #2. If you look really good against Tech you could jump us, but if you basically have a high scoring game where the last one with the ball (you) wins I think not. You beat Tech, we beat you, so that is a wash. You have to beat OSU because a two way between Texas and Tech would go to Tech. But we both beat OSU so that is a wash. We do have the Missouri win and you were number one when we met so I think a lot of this depends on how we look the last two games vs how you look. I think it could go either way but our only way in is for you to win so, for this month ONLY, BOOM---,BOOMER SOO...BOO...Oh hell, I just can't do it. But you guys go win and we'll see what the BCS does.

The only way we don't jump you if we win out is if Mackie starts whining about it. We already lead in the coaches poll and are very close in the harris - our computer average will increase above your's if we clean techs and the pokes clock. Even if we squeak by, I don't think you'll gain much in the human polls - your only hope is for us to win and then whine like babies that you deserve it more. Mark May was trying on CFF last night. But his argument is null if the 3 way tie comes to pass. The old unwritten rule of losing early being better than losing late comes into play.

:pop:

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 10:21 AM
Well, folks, Oregon State STILL has the inside track on the Rose Bowl with two games to go. Win out and the Pac 10 tiebreaker is "who HASN'T been in the longest time". That means USC is an at large.

I think Texas is a lock for the Fiesta and USC would be if they lose the Pac 10 to Oregon State. (That was fun to type!). I think OU is either in the title game or out of the BCS altogether. Seeing as how Texas should win out and get left out of the Big 12 title game they can really do no better or worse than second in the Big 12, meaning Fiesta with either OU or Texas Tech in the national title game.

Win out and OU plays for it all. Lose at least one of the last three and fall all the way to Cotton or Holiday.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2008, 11:04 AM
Having horn fans pulling for us for 2 games in a row makes me feel dirty.

:confused:

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2008, 11:27 AM

Why:

Badj. my God that is a train wreck of a prognostication. I would have thought all that lovely burnt orange in your avi and sig would have brought you greater wisdom.

MNC: Texas v. Texas Tech.
Cotton Bowl: Dirt Burglars v. LSU
Holiday Bowl: Mizzery v. USC
Alamo Bowl: Okie Lite v. Minnesota or Northwestern

Rest of bowls... who cares?

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:32 AM
Badj. my God that is a train wreck of a prognostication. I would have thought all that lovely burnt orange in your avi and sig would have brought you greater wisdom.

MNC: Texas v. Texas Tech.
Cotton Bowl: Dirt Burglars v. LSU
Holiday Bowl: Mizzery v. USC
Alamo Bowl: Okie Lite v. Minnesota or Northwestern

Rest of bowls... who cares?

Are you thinking that is because OU loses at OSU or Texas stays ahead of OU in the BCS? Cause, if so, I got bad news for you if the Sooners win out.

Texas has NO SHOT at the Big 12 title game.

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2008, 11:48 AM
Are you thinking that is because OU loses at OSU or Texas stays ahead of OU in the BCS? Cause, if so, I got bad news for you if the Sooners win out.

Texas has NO SHOT at the Big 12 title game.

Even if OU wins out, even the so called BCS experts can't predict whether OU will jump Texas utilizing statistical analysis and not raw emotion and hope.

I think OU loses at home to Tech but beats Okie Lite.

Bama has Auburn (yes, I know they suck on offense) but in a rivalry game, you never can tell.

Florida has Free Shoes University in Tallahassee.

FSU upsets Florida. Florida beats Bama.

Tech runs the table...

1. Tech
2. Texas
3. USC

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 11:53 AM
Even if OU wins out, even the so called BCS experts can't predict whether OU will jump Texas utilizing statistical analysis and not raw emotion and hope.

I think OU loses at home to Tech but beats Okie Lite.

Bama has Auburn (yes, I know they suck on offense) but in a rivalry game, you never can tell.

Florida has Free Shoes University in Tallahassee.

FSU upsets Florida. Florida beats Bama.

Tech runs the table...

1. Tech
2. Texas
3. USC

Wow...you have a few scenarios in there that are far fetched. Don't forget Obama naming David Duke as Secretary of State. That fits in well with your plan.

And I find it odd you think OU loses AT HOME but wins in Stillwater. Hell, even I don't have a good feeling about the game at OSU.

And as far as OU passing Texas, it's not official yet, but most experts are saying there is a better chance than not that OU will surpass Texas.

Hey, whether fair or not, we all know WHEN you loses matters in college football.

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2008, 12:04 PM
And as far as OU passing Texas, it's not official yet, but most experts are saying there is a better chance than not that OU will surpass Texas.

I haven't seen any "experts" who have postulated this... bloggers... but that's about it.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 12:27 PM
Richard Billingsley...one of the computer pollsters.

"The way my system works in a three-way tie is that a win over a No. 1 team is worth more in November than in October,” said Richard Billingsley, who operates one of six computer ratings that factor into the BCS. "Therefore, an OU win over No. 1 Texas Tech would be worth more than the Texas win over the No. 1 Sooners earlier in the season.”

By beating the Red Raiders in two weeks, OU would boost its computer ranking significantly.

Consider this: When Tech defeated then-No. 1 Texas, the Red Raiders jumped from No. 10 in the computers to No. 1.

OU figures to benefit from a similar jump in the computers, which would move the Sooners past Texas in the BCS, even if the human polls remain status quo.

"If OU wins out, they are not a lock to jump Texas in my rankings,” Billingsley said. "But OU looks to be in a good position.”

Sorry to burst your bubble...not a certainty, but very likely.

snp
11/10/2008, 12:45 PM
Well, folks, Oregon State STILL has the inside track on the Rose Bowl with two games to go. Win out and the Pac 10 tiebreaker is "who HASN'T been in the longest time". That means USC is an at large.

Incorrect. OSU has the tiebreaker because they won head-to-head. What you're referring to is one of the last tiebreakers for the Big 10.

The Maestro
11/10/2008, 12:47 PM
Incorrect. OSU has the tiebreaker because they won head-to-head. What you're referring to is one of the last tiebreakers for the Big 10.

Well, my Oregon State buddy is getting a stern talking to today, then!

Oh, well...regardless, win out and that will be FUN-NY when USC doesn't even win their lousy conference.

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 12:49 PM
Why would Missouri go to the cotton bowl if they have 2 losses? They would go to the Holiday Bowl.

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2008, 01:11 PM
Why would Missouri go to the cotton bowl if they have 2 losses? They would go to the Holiday Bowl.

They won't. Assuming no upsets by Mizzou in the Big XII champeenship game, Texas, Oklahoma and Tech will get the 2 BCS bids and Cotton Bowl.

This leaves Holiday deciding whether they want Okie Lite or Missery with Alamo getting sloppy fifths.

It says a hell of a lot about the Big XII that either Missery or Okie Lite is the 5th best team.

oh wait... is it.. a participant in the Big XII champeenship game can drop no further than the Holiday Bowl?

OUmillenium
11/10/2008, 01:13 PM
In the scenerio where OU wins out and Tech's only loss is to OU and Texas's only loss is to Tech, I think Texas would be ranked higher than Tech and in the top 4. That would make Texas an automatic to the BCS. Tech would likely fall to the Holiday bowl because I also agree that the Cotton Bowl would take Missouri but I wouldn't be suprised if it took Tech.

The rest of the predictions I don't have a problem with because, frankly, that's getting to far down for me to care.

Yep, I think Texas gets the 2nd BCS bid if we win out. Especially if we beat Tech convincingly (20+ points).

JLEW1818
11/10/2008, 01:15 PM
Special teams will be huge in this game.................

badger
11/10/2008, 03:24 PM

A bitter whorn who realizes all of his team's big games are over and thus his team has no control over his destiny unlike the other top Big 12 South teams and thus it is inevitable that he's headed to San Diego's Holiday Bowl for the billionth time in the last decade says whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:P

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2008, 03:37 PM
A bitter whorn who realizes all of his team's big games are over and thus his team has no control over his destiny unlike the other top Big 12 South teams and thus it is inevitable that he's headed to San Diego's Holiday Bowl for the billionth time in the last decade says whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:P

I look up and see.. burnt orange..

I look side to side and see... burnt orange...

I like what I see Lil Badj! :D

badger
11/10/2008, 06:38 PM
Funny... I'm looking the same places you are and when I look around I see t-shirt fans. But yes, I concede that the fairweather supporters are indeed wearing burnt orange, so I will not deny that all of the people who pretend to be texas fans are indeed full of that shade of orange.

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2008, 09:38 PM
Funny... I'm looking the same places you are and when I look around I see t-shirt fans. But yes, I concede that the fairweather supporters are indeed wearing burnt orange, so I will not deny that all of the people who pretend to be texas fans are indeed full of that shade of orange.

Explaining your avatar and sig mon frer? :D

And. of, I forgot about the Gator Bowl. They might swoop in and take a Big XII team before the Alamo Bowl against a craptacular ACC team.