PDA

View Full Version : Who benefits from the off week - OU or TT ?

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2008, 12:36 PM
Watching TT dismantle OSU was pretty scary last night. Everything the TT offense did to OSU looked like it would work against us too. OSU tried every kind of blitz, zone coverage, man coverage, rush 3/cover 8, etc. And they tried to disguise it by moving around right up until the snap. Almost nothing worked or worked enough to force a punt or get a turnover. I know OSU defense is even weaker than ours, but I don't know by how much. Conversely, the TT defense didn't stone-wall OSU, but they disrupted things enough that they got into the 2 score lead area and OSU seemed to give up.

Given we have 2 weeks to scheme, is there anything we can do to disrupt these guys and get a few key stops or force a critical TO ? Do you think the TT defense can slow our offense down enough to get us in trouble on the scoreboard ? Who has the advantage given the 2 weeks to prepare?

chad
11/9/2008, 12:41 PM
BV is looking for a loophole that will allow 12 men on the field

hink4769
11/9/2008, 12:45 PM
I have to think that it benefits Tech more. They're coming off back to back big wins over top 10 teams. OU's probably been somewhat looking ahead to the Tech game for a couple weeks now.

richsooner
11/9/2008, 12:50 PM
I have to think that it benefits Tech more. They're coming off back to back big wins over top 10 teams. OU's probably been somewhat looking ahead to the Tech game for a couple weeks now.

Don't forget, it gives us a chance to finish healing up some of our guys, English, Box, Manny J.,Brodie, maybe that will help us as well. Also, Tech looked great last nite, (in their own environment), won't be that friendly in our house...............................

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/9/2008, 12:55 PM
Don't forget, it gives us a chance to finish healing up some of our guys, English, Box, Manny J.,Brodie, maybe that will help us as well. Also, Tech looked great last nite, (in their own environment), won't be that friendly in our house...............................

Don't forget Davis, Stoops said he had a sprained knee in the win yesterday and RJ's redshirt may be in danger now. After herbie got off of harrell and crabtree, he did say we still have to see how they handle playing a big game on the road. Tech hasn't won a big game on the road in ages, I think this trend continues. Plus, we are good on the road but we are GREAT at home. Sam's stats at home are ridiculous and the D will be amped up at home and play with great intensity.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/9/2008, 12:57 PM
Let the kicking game be. I can almost guarantee you a big return or two for Tech. All other things equal (ie, we're clicking on offense, 0 turnovers/ints, no big time injuries), we win by a fg or a td. I just hope we can perform in the 1st quarter like we have all year (except vs Texas). We get a semi-big lead on them early (17 points), Bob won't call off the dogs and we win.

For that to happen:
Sam has to be SHARP. I say we come out firing. The running game has looked phenomenal the last couple weeks, but get Sam and the WRs in a groove early. Throw in the running plays here and there, and please, don't pass on 3rd and 1 or 2...we're at home, CB/DM should get the first.

The wideouts can't have these dang dropped balls. *cough Gresham*. They should be pumped for this game. As should the....

Defense needs to play like they have. Tech is going to move the ball. Breathe, Repeat. Tech is going to move the ball. Tech is even going to score. A lot. Create a few turnovers here and there and don't let momentum swing their way for an extended period of time. A few key 3 and outs, a sack, or a turnover could be the difference maker in this game. Let's hope the crowd is rowdy and rockin' like it was against Missouri. This will (yeah, as silly as it sounds) seriously help the defense. We are not going to beat Tech with our defense, that's for sure.

JLEW1818
11/9/2008, 02:28 PM
45-35 Sooners(remember that score?)  will happen again.

fadada1
11/9/2008, 02:38 PM
as an unbiased SOONER alum/fan/supporter, i think it benefits us much more. lemme 'splain:

1 - rest for injured
2 - time to prepare for special teams
3 - time for endless hours of 20-30 yard field goal practice (dude better be getting special permission to keep the lights on WAY past midnight)
4 - more time to get caught up on defensive scheming. my thought is stoops and BV will be in their office hashing it out while our kickers are practicing until 3am each night.
5 - add in a few wrinkles on offense. nothing crazy. just work on eliminating those 3 and outs that seem to pop up for no good reason.
6 - more time to find jobu some good jamaican rum.

oupride
11/9/2008, 02:44 PM
should benefit OU special teams

sooner94
11/9/2008, 02:46 PM
Here are my thoughts:

1. Stoops has only lost 2 games in Norman in his career. I think our home field advantage is stronger than most.

2. Yeah, their O is really, really good, and our D is not up to normal standards. But there is a bigger mismatch with our O against their D. No question about that. I think our O is the best in the country, and I have heard a lot of people say that, not just Sooner fans.

3. Stoops thrives when the media is drooling over the opponent. Remember Missou last year, #1 in the country, blah blah blah. Well, Tech will be ranked higher than us and "controls their destiny" for the national title.

4. Odds are it will be a 7pm kickoff. So its a night game, us against the #2 team in the country. Bring it on.

5. You have to wonder if a team like Tech can run the table. Its hard to go undefeated in a BCS conference, and Tech's D, while improved this year, just isn't the quality to go undefeated.

Just my 2 cents, of course I am a little biased.;)

Dan Thompson
11/9/2008, 02:57 PM
My thoughts

Remeber last year, our TD called back, there TD they never made.
Home game for us.
Might be against #1 when BCS comes out
Heisman Trophy QB
Worlds best WR in Crabtree.

Might be a few more reasons for us to be ready.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2008, 03:12 PM
Here are my thoughts:

2. Yeah, their O is really, really good, and our D is not up to normal standards. But there is a bigger mismatch with our O against their D. No question about that. I think our O is the best in the country, and I have heard a lot of people say that, not just Sooner fans.

I think that is the crux of my question. Both Os are very strong and both Ds are very average. But TT did hold both UT and OSU to less than 400yds based on some good scheming. I'm not sure which offense is susceptible to being thrown off kilter by a creative scheme - even if it is just for a while. I tend to think OU approach on offense is much more straight forward and based on talent and execution and thus harder to mess up. TT has always been thought of as more gimmicky and it has always fallen short against the elite teams. But it seems more solid this year and we are not elite on D.

I tend to lean towards the extra week help OU due to time to get some players healthy and time to study Tech's unique offense, but it's not a strong bias. I do expect lots of yards and points by both teams.

adoniijahsooner
11/9/2008, 03:27 PM
Why do we use words like scared or nervous? Tech will not beat us in Norman on a saturday night. A bye week helps us because the players will hear for 2 weeks that they cant stop Tech, the offense will hear about the vaunted Tech Defense, and BV will hear how he can't coach. 70-42

Collier11
11/9/2008, 03:38 PM
My thoughts

Remeber last year, our TD called back.

Why would this matter, it wasnt a TD

badger
11/9/2008, 04:01 PM
WE BOTH BENEFIT.

Reason: Texas fans are scrambling around trying to figure out how they can do something they have absolutely no control over (MNC, Big 12), because all of their big games are OOOOVERRRRR :D

soonerfan28
11/9/2008, 04:10 PM
We are to good at home and we can win in a shootout with Tech. I think it will take us not having any turnovers and maybe getting at least one, but I think they've had it pretty easy at home but it will be much tougher at our house.

MyT Oklahoma
11/9/2008, 05:11 PM
Us because.. "We are OU.".. and also because we're playing at home.

Curly Bill
11/9/2008, 05:43 PM
I think we beat Tech primarily because we are playing at home and I think we can beat them in a high scoring track meet of a game...

...but for those that think having an extra week will help our special teams? We've had how long to get them right and they still suck? Yet an extra week off is gonna help???

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/9/2008, 05:54 PM
OU 54 - SA 43

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2008, 05:57 PM
WE BOTH BENEFIT.

Reason: Texas fans are scrambling around trying to figure out how they can do something they have absolutely no control over (MNC, Big 12), because all of their big games are OOOOVERRRRR :D

Although I like the sentiment that the whole world is rosier when horn fans experience angst, I don't see it applying in this case. Tech beat UT, so the horns are in the rear view mirror for them. They can even lose to us and end up in the CCG if we lose in Stoolwater. The horns are in the awkward situation of having to root for us to win out and then hoping the BCS keeps them ahead of us.

OUmillenium
11/9/2008, 06:10 PM
as an unbiased SOONER alum/fan/supporter, i think it benefits us much more. lemme 'splain:

1 - rest for injured
2 - time to prepare for special teams
3 - time for endless hours of 20-30 yard field goal practice (dude better be getting special permission to keep the lights on WAY past midnight)
4 - more time to get caught up on defensive scheming. my thought is stoops and BV will be in their office hashing it out while our kickers are practicing until 3am each night.
5 - add in a few wrinkles on offense. nothing crazy. just work on eliminating those 3 and outs that seem to pop up for no good reason.
6 - more time to find jobu some good jamaican rum.

I agree with the above plus its MORE TIME for Tech to hear the media love and Heisman Harrell love and hopefully not have the mental edge they really need to win this game.