#2 - tech
#3 - OU
#6 - mizzou
#7 - okstate
#9 - texas
#14 - nebraska
#18 - kansas
#28 - kstate
#29 - tcu (we did ok against those guys)
#57 - baylor
#66 - iowa state
#69 - a&m
#97 - colorado

Scoring offense (national ranks)

#2 - OU
#3 - tech
#4 - mizzou
#5 - texas
#6 - okstate
#20 - kstate
#21 - kansas
#23 - nebraska
#50 - a&m

total defense

#1 - usc (who have they played???)
#2 - tcu (how many did we put on them???)
#51 - OU
We are the highest rated Big12 team in total defense!!!!!
#57 - tech
#60 - texas
#84 - okstate

now, before we go into the whole "look at our defensive rankings" debate, i'd suggest that we should address the "who the heck can stop us?" debate. i'll admit, we haven't played up to our potential on defense (apparently), but who else in the Big12 is stopping anyone else in the Big12??? i'd argue that if all the big12 schools totally sucked on defense, we'd have #1-12 locked up on total offense.

the_ouskull
11/9/2008, 10:39 AM
If you're trying to dispel the whole "Big 12 doesn't play defense" thing, you're going to have to try harder, sir. If the #51 team in the country, in total defense, is the best team in the conference, then you're not dispelling a myth so much as digging a grave, man.

the_ouskull

ratedrsuperstar
11/9/2008, 10:55 AM
What is the Big 12's record against other BCS conferences this season ?

fadada1
11/9/2008, 11:00 AM
If you're trying to dispel the whole "Big 12 doesn't play defense" thing, you're going to have to try harder, sir. If the #51 team in the country, in total defense, is the best team in the conference, then you're not dispelling a myth so much as digging a grave, man.

the_ouskull

hey, buddy... give me a freaking break. i'm trying to help!!!:D :D

meoveryouxinfinity
11/9/2008, 11:07 AM
What is the Big 12's record against other BCS conferences this season ?

Well,
CU lost to FSU but beat WVU, 1-1
OU beat Cinci and U Washington, 2-0
TT didn't play anyone, 0-0
KU lost to USF, 0-1
UT beat Arkansas,1-0
Mizzou beat Illinois, 1-0
OSU beat Washington State, 1-0
KSU lost to Louisville, 0-1
A&M lost to Miami (F), 0-1
Baylor lost to WF and UCONN but beat Washington State, 1-2
UNL lost to VT, 0-1
ISU lost to Iowa, 0-1

Ummm so it looks like we beat up on the Washington teams.
Big 12 vs BCS conferences: 7-8

VA Sooner
11/9/2008, 11:44 AM
How did the defense look yesterday? The OU game wasn't broadcast in my area... wondered how the secondary and Austin Box were coming along. I didn't read about us losing another defensive end (Alan Davis) until this morning. We're getting a little thin there.

MichiganSooner
11/9/2008, 12:43 PM
Austin Box did a good job. Eight tackles and 1 interception; Travis Lewis had 12 tackles. Tulsa World gave defense a B.

Boomer.....
11/9/2008, 12:49 PM
I think the defense looked pretty good yesterday. The two huge kickoff returns gave the defense a black eye to those who didn't watch the game.

okiewaker
11/9/2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know about you folks but I'm tired of the national media saying the B12 doesn't play D when the other conf's have no O's. I think some of the B12 D's would smother some of the O's in other conferences. Anyway, JMO.

chad
11/9/2008, 02:27 PM
States are through 11/1

OU points against per game: 23.1
OU yards against per play: 5.1 over 628 plays

Bama points against per game: 12.2
Bama yards against per play: 4.1 over 546 plays

Florida points against per game: 11.6
Florida yards against per play: 4.6 over 505 plays

So OU is letting 1 yard more per play than the #1 team in the country, yet we're facing the best offenses in the country. We've also faced nearly 100 more plays on defense than #1 Bama.

Our stats are even closer in yards per play with Florida. We've also had 120 more defensive plays than them.

OU defense has accounted for 11 interceptions and 9 fumbles
Bama defense has accounted for 11 interceptions and 5 fumbles
Florida defense has accounted for 13 interceptions and 7 fumbles

I'd say, while we do give up more points and slightly more yards per play, we are just as competitive on defense as the top teams in the SEC. The real difference comes from the higher levels of offensives we are facing in the Big 12.

Of course, it's all a big argument and opnion based until OU plays either Bama or Florida.

badger
11/9/2008, 02:52 PM
Is our defensive ranking about the same as our strength of schedule ranking? :P

OKC-SLC
11/9/2008, 03:34 PM
I don't know about you folks but I'm tired of the national media saying the B12 doesn't play D when the other conf's have no O's. I think some of the B12 D's would smother some of the O's in other conferences. Anyway, JMO.

bowl games will sort this out, i think.

UT, OU, TT, OSU, KU, Mizzou, NU, ?CU, ?BU

that will make for a decent conference bowl record.

Soonerfan88
11/9/2008, 06:31 PM
For those who have all the stats or can find them, how does our defense do per possession? It seems that OU scores so quick, opponents get more time/chances to score than in other games.

I think I read somewhere that KState had almost twice as many possession as a normal game. If so, their 35 pts scored would be more equivalent to 17 pts per game.

BuckyB
11/9/2008, 06:33 PM
In my opinion Oklahoma should never be as low as 51 on this list.