PDA

View Full Version : Two straight weeks for the D

Collier11
11/8/2008, 08:10 PM
They have looked pretty good, kickoff coverage and scrap time scores have made them look worse than they have played. Im telling you, if we can get our kick coverage fixed, this isnt a bad Defense!

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 08:13 PM
Hell no it's not!

But fire BV anyways! ;)

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 08:14 PM
You guys might want to wait until we play someone that actually has an offense, say OSU or TT. Nebish and aTm not so much.

Collier11
11/8/2008, 08:15 PM
If we hold TT and osu under 30 ill take it everyday :)

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 08:16 PM
If we hold TT and osu under 30 ill take it everyday :)

Same here, but sadly I don't see it happening.

bringit
11/8/2008, 08:18 PM
Decent defense, not a MNC defense IMO

SoonerShay
11/8/2008, 08:19 PM
Nebraska was the 15th ranked offense coming into our game. They put 45 up on KU today. We held the aTm offense under 300 yards even when backups were in the whole 4th quarter.

It won't hurt to say they might be getting better and are pretty good.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not part of the camp that thinks our defense is awful and Brent Venebles isn't fit to coach pee-wee, but you really can't draw any conclusions based on a victory over aTm, because they just suck.

Collier11
11/8/2008, 08:21 PM
They nearly beat TT, just saying

Cam
11/8/2008, 08:36 PM
The defense is playing better week to week, which is exactly what you want to see this time of year.

aurorasooner
11/8/2008, 08:40 PM
Nebraska was the 15th ranked offense coming into our game. They put 45 up on KU today. We held the aTm offense under 300 yards even when backups were in the whole 4th quarter.

It won't hurt to say they might be getting better and are pretty good. I've got to agree. I thought the D was playing very well until they just lost their focus after aTm 1st big KO return. AB looked good and we were playing their receivers with tight coverage, then after that KO they sorta just went all to hell. I don't think I've ever seen a QB have the "throw OB red-azz" as JJ had today. Our D must have done something to scare him because out of his 20 or so incomplete passes, it looked like at least half of them were OB or just a give-up throw into the ground.

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2008, 08:40 PM
I'm nervous about our D going into the Tech/OsU games. The last time we faced an offense of that caliber, things immediately turned ugly after Reynolds went down. I just haven't been convinced we've recovered from that yet. At least we play Tech in Norman and have an extra week to prepare for the trip to Stoolwater.

Kels
11/8/2008, 08:44 PM
Not to mention what, like 13 to's by the D in the last 3 games?

Remembering Tom Stidham
11/8/2008, 09:19 PM
Watching TT put the wood to OSU I am not optimistic. We will beat OSU in Stillwater.

Collier11
11/8/2008, 09:25 PM
Not sure what you just said

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 09:26 PM
:D

Remembering Tom Stidham
11/8/2008, 09:28 PM
I hope I am wrong but I just don't see us beating TT even in Norman.

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 09:30 PM
I do. The Stool will be a battle though.

Collier11
11/8/2008, 09:31 PM
Stoops is 60-2 at home, I have complete faith in winning the game at home. Against osu, we need to jump out early and big

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 09:34 PM
Jumping out to a lead early isn't a problem. Maintaining it is.

Collier11
11/8/2008, 09:38 PM
I wont breath easy at stilly until the final gun has sounded, I dont care if we are up 49-0 going into the 4th qt, that place is tough on us. Now having said that, we have played tremendous on the road so lets hope our D plays a little better than theirs that day

Cam
11/8/2008, 09:50 PM
I wont breath easy at stilly until the final gun has sounded, I dont care if we are up 49-0 going into the 4th qt, that place is tough on us. Now having said that, we have played tremendous on the road so lets hope our D plays a little better than theirs that day

What he said.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 09:55 PM
I'm going to take a week off and then I'm going to the last two games of the season.

I sure hope we can put this "I'm worried about sand aggie and aggy" to bed.

It's almost gotten so bad that I'm looking forward to the end of our Season.

**** guys....get a grip...have some faith....

Collier11
11/8/2008, 10:03 PM
What is this setting up if Tech holds on, potential #1 vs #4 or 5 in Norman...Talk about HUGE!!!

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 10:07 PM
Gameday for sure

Collier11
11/8/2008, 10:12 PM
Biggest game in Norman since osu in Nov 2003 when it was #1 vs #11 and we toasted their arses or us against Mizzou last yr when it was #6 vs #11

Collier11
11/8/2008, 10:13 PM
Keep in mind that Stoops is 11-0 against ranked teams in Norman

OU_Sooners75
11/8/2008, 10:46 PM
Last two weeks we have played teams that average...
402+ yards in total offense and 29+ points per game on offense...
not exactly world beater offenses.

We will see how far we have progressed when we play Tech and OSU.

I will say this, they have played better. And I think these last 2 games have helped in developing our Middle Linebacker situation. And the addition of Alexander is not a bad thing.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 10:48 PM

I will say this, they have played better. And I think these last 2 games have helped in developing our Middle Linebacker situation. And the addition of Alexander is not a bad thing.

Dude...oSu blows.

Your watching this epic choke right?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2008, 10:57 PM
giving up the big kickoffs and not being able to hit fg's aren't a big deal in a game like today...We saw against ut just how much it means in a tight game....I don't think both of those games(osu and tt) will be blow outs, so what happens when this team needs to put 4 solid quarters together again? It didn't work out the last time this season they needed to

That makes me nervous

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 11:07 PM
The "easy" part of the schedule is over the coaches have done a good job of nursing the D along and improving a bit each week. Style points and numbers don't mean squat now - just win the game. I don't care if we give up 45 a game now as long as we score 46+. Our excellence is on offense and great teams win with their strength. Sam and co. have a chance to step up and out play the offense on the other side of the field or all these numbers they have are just numbers.

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 11:10 PM

It's sad when 400+ and almost 30+ point offenses are not considered good.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/8/2008, 11:23 PM
I give up......

The last 3 games the only reason we haven't scored 90-100 points is because WE DIDN'T WANT TO.

No our defense isn't what it was in 2000 or 2001. Our kick coverage still puts the lotion in the basket. If you haven't seen steady improvement in the defense the last 3 weeks then you aren't paying attention.

I don't get how we can average 50+ points a game in the first FREAKING half the last 3 games and some can't see us beating TT, at home, in a revenge game, where we 60-2 under Stoops.

So maybe TT hangs 40 on us.....if so we are going to score 60.

SoonR4Life
11/9/2008, 12:59 AM
I give up......

The last 3 games the only reason we haven't scored 90-100 points is because WE DIDN'T WANT TO.

No our defense isn't what it was in 2000 or 2001. Our kick coverage still puts the lotion in the basket. If you haven't seen steady improvement in the defense the last 3 weeks then you aren't paying attention.

I don't get how we can average 50+ points a game in the first FREAKING half the last 3 games and some can't see us beating TT, at home, in a revenge game, where we 60-2 under Stoops.

Right there with ya!

Spek

VA Sooner
11/9/2008, 02:26 AM
It was a good workout for the young defense... secondary, linebackers and getting into groove with the more experienced players to see how the zone coverage will work.

The true tests now lie with Texas Tech who is very balanced and with Oklahoma State, playing in Stillwater and against a rivalry team... all bets are off.

DangTire
11/9/2008, 05:39 AM
They have looked pretty good, kickoff coverage and scrap time scores have made them look worse than they have played. Im telling you, if we can get our kick coverage fixed, this isnt a bad Defense!

Yes I know having an unheralded string of giving up 28 or more points 5 games in a row for the first time in school history always gives me reason to start cheering for old Vulnerables. Hell, let's give him coach of the year award right now! This amazing run of defensive mediocrity against ****ty offenses has got Collier all lubed up and ready to dangle from the short hairs! Will you be joining BV in some stunned mouth breathing when Tech releases the beast on the back of his head? Or will you be joining JKM in trying to find one excuse or another for the sycophants to feed on?

DangTire
11/9/2008, 05:44 AM
I give up......

I'm guessing the opponents getting worse with each passing week might not have anything to do with the sudden "improvement" in your wee little mind? The defense has been ****ty for 4 years. Tech will be shoving your "improvement" where it hurts the most in a couple of weeks. Bend over and prepare yourself.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2008, 06:28 AM
Wow...I've been laying off the posting lately, but I have to say...

You certainly are sarcastic and abrasive!

I suppose as our D gets a little better each weak we should just sit around demanding firings rather than praise improvement. All the forced turnovers the last 3 games is obviously an indication we suck right?

TripleOption14
11/9/2008, 09:00 AM
As Curly Bill said, this D is good against your Cincy's, your A&M's, your Nebbishes but look what they have done against teams they are actually good. A la texass and kansas, the D gives it up like no other. Luckily we have an O that will keep us in games.

StoopTroup
11/9/2008, 09:11 AM
Dang Tire has been sniffing Leach's fart's for about 5 weeks now. Give him a break...he's dizzy when he posts.

Johnny Utah
11/9/2008, 12:28 PM
Living in the Atlanta area exposes me to way too much UGA and SEC stuff (but what should I expect?). The Georgia fans b****ing about their "soft D" and wanting to get rid of their DC (even after a win) don't appear too much different from OU fans, except that OU fans are better, less arrogant, and actually have something tangible to be proud of (like winning a National Championship in this decade and playing for 2 more). Here's a link to the UGA Blog in the local fishwrap (for some grins and giggles), that you all can access hopefully without too much trouble or having to register.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/uga/entries/2008/11/08/dobbs_saves_the.html

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/23/2008, 10:10 PM
I'm guessing the opponents getting worse with each passing week might not have anything to do with the sudden "improvement" in your wee little mind? The defense has been ****ty for 4 years. Tech will be shoving your "improvement" where it hurts the most in a couple of weeks. Bend over and prepare yourself.

Someone got bent over in the game last night, Graham Harrell. Even you can see that improvement now.

Dan Thompson
11/23/2008, 10:18 PM
I think the D has arrived.

SoonerShay
11/23/2008, 11:41 PM
Someone got bent over in the game last night, Graham Harrell. Even you can see that improvement now.

He won't be coming back to this thread because he clearly looks like a fool now. It's been obvious every single week the D has been improving but some people just need something to bitch about.