PDA

View Full Version : National title game is set

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 07:30 PM
While I hated to see Bama win, they will settle their battle with Florida and determine one team in the title game.

Meanwhile, TT/OSU/UT/OU survivor will be their opponent. I still like our chances.

USC? Yeah. Enjoy that game with Penn State in the Rose (yawn) Bowl.

Don't sweat Bama winning. Penn State losing was a must.

OUHOMER
11/8/2008, 07:32 PM
all we got to do is win, and win impressively

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 07:33 PM
If we win out, we're in. Yes?

kevpks
11/8/2008, 07:34 PM
Couldn't agree more. At least we won't be subjected to another Big 10 team in the title game. Did someone break the news to Herbie yet?

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 07:34 PM
I hope you're right, because that is the way it should be (SEC vs Big2). I can guarantee that the biggest Mizzou fans in country live out in LA. Mizzou is still dangerous and could put a fly in the ointment.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 07:35 PM
I hope all you Sooner fans out there are wearing your red raider jerseys for the evening! Go Mike Leach!!

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 07:35 PM

Hmmm...hard to say. But if we win impressively, I think for sure.

Isn't it crazy to say, but I really do think style has something to do with it.

If we smash TT, I think it can help us since Texas had to rally to beat us as did TT to beat Texas after blowing a lead.

Then if we go to Stillwater and punch a hole in their T. Boone it could really give us some BCS love.

So glad Texas played their skank non-conference.

GrapevineSooner
11/8/2008, 07:36 PM
Well, first we need Tech to beat OSU. Or Texas to lose one more.

And then I think we need to beat Tech rather convincingly. If they lose a close one here, then I have a feeling they'd still come out ahead of us in the BCS rankings at the end of the year.

Sabanball
11/8/2008, 07:36 PM
Bama/OU is looking A LOT more realistic now.

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 07:37 PM
By the way...the SEC has two teams worth a crap and that is it.

I give Bama credit for winning, but the fact they had to go to overtime to beat LSU...unbelievable. LSU's QB is the sucktastic suckiest Mother Sucker I have EVAR seen play QB at this level. And STILL Bama needed overtime to win.

I think Florida stomps Bama and the Big 12 South survivor will be a worthy adversary in the title game.

BigTip
11/8/2008, 07:38 PM
Bama or Florida, doesn't matter.

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 07:38 PM
Bama/OU is looking A LOT more realistic now.

Name your price, Broseph. If you needed overtime to beat Jarrett Lee I think that Tebow feller might run roughshod over you.

tommieharris91
11/8/2008, 07:40 PM
Campaign to the voters, guys. The comps won't help us.

YES WE CAN!! YES WE CAN!! We can pass Texas in the BCS!!

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 07:40 PM

Nope. As discussed in other threads, if OSU beats TT, we are probably out because we lose the tie breaker to UT. Otherwise, we depend on UT losing again in games they will be big favorites. Go Red Raiders!

S008NER
11/8/2008, 07:41 PM
If we dont get in oh well, but there is no way I could tolerate Texass playing in the title game. :mad:

tommieharris91
11/8/2008, 07:41 PM
By the way...the SEC has two teams worth a crap and that is it.

The SEC has only one team worth a crap.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 07:42 PM

Well actually if OSU goes into Lubbock and wins tonight that pretty much finishes us I think. Even if Tech wins, its a bit early to have the "win and we're in mentality." We still need to finish ahead of UT in the BCS which will be difficult because the human voters will probably rank them ahead of us and they count for 2/3.

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 07:42 PM
By the way, the Big 12 North is back to being really **** and poor. Nebraska beating Kansas today...that team is schizo like nobodies business. Which might mean good things next week against the whorns!

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 07:43 PM

Well said, actually. Bama's big win at Georgia gets less and less sexy each week.

BUT THEY CRUSHED CLEMSON, TOO!!!

Like I said...as did you...

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 07:47 PM
By the way, the Big 12 North is back to being really **** and poor. Nebraska beating Kansas today...that team is schizo like nobodies business. Which might mean good things next week against the whorns!

KU's D has turned into an absolute sieve. After we got 675 total yards against them, TT put 60+ pts on them, followed by NU's 45. They would really have to be schizo to turn around and stop UT. Let's go with that :)

Sabanball
11/8/2008, 07:51 PM
Name your price, Broseph. If you needed overtime to beat Jarrett Lee I think that Tebow feller might run roughshod over you.

UF may be playing very well right now, but they are very beatable. Ask Ole Miss.

Williesan
11/8/2008, 07:52 PM
State Penn losing today really helps us out, but to get there too, we have to win out and get a W from Tech tonight. I'm sure if we end up #2, the howls from Austin will be loud and obnoxious, but we play with what we're dealt.

My only worry is that the Pollsters will ding us in the Coaches and the Harris interactive polls and place us behind Texas. If you go by the same rules that have been prevalent in the last 4-5 seasons, when we lost will still be more important than who we lost to.

Regarding 11/22 vs. Tech and 11/29 at OSU: we need convincing and impressive wins in both, then we need to throttle the North champion to make our case to be #2.

Of course, there's still 3+ weeks left (and CCG's to boot) in the season. Anything can happen. ;)

Williesan

badger
11/8/2008, 07:59 PM
We are not outta this yet. We still need one more thing to happen today:

:les:Poke State losing to Taco Tech![hairGel]

As soon as this happens, we just have to win out, but dag nabbit, if OSU steals what is ours, death to all sheep. DEATH. :mad:

Okie35
11/8/2008, 08:00 PM
While I hated to see Bama win, they will settle their battle with Florida and determine one team in the title game.

Meanwhile, TT/OSU/UT/OU survivor will be their opponent. I still like our chances.

USC? Yeah. Enjoy that game with Penn State in the Rose (yawn) Bowl.

Don't sweat Bama winning. Penn State losing was a must.

usc might not even make the rose bowl if oregon state wins out ... :D

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 08:01 PM
I know our Team has weak links in it....

Our kickoff squad and the inconsistant field goals are awful. Thank goodness it hasn't cost us more this year.

The Texas game is the only one I think it hurt us. Of course that's easy to say since we lost.

What I'm getting at though is that the National Media really overlooks us because of the Texas loss...but our only loss is against a very solid ranked team.

Florida and suc should have gotten hammered for those losses they had earlier.

With Penn St. losing today to Iowa, it will be interesting to see how they are treated compared to florida and suc.

If they get hammered really bad...I'm calling BS.

Sure I wanted PSU out of our way...but they should also stay in the BCS Bowl hunt if florida and suc remain in.

If Florida hadn't gotten so much of a BCS bump the last two to three weeks...I wouldn't have even posted any of this...but something seems amiss IMO.

Okie35
11/8/2008, 08:01 PM
UF may be playing very well right now, but they are very beatable. Ask Ole Miss.

i asked em and they said that was when florida wasn't beating teams on average by 30 points or more...

RedstickSooner
11/8/2008, 08:03 PM

Almost. TTech has to beat OSU. Otherwise, Tejas wins the Big-12 south, and there's NO WAY we get into the title game without winning our conference.

Sabanball
11/8/2008, 08:03 PM

If you're basing that on how everyone in our league is playing RIGHT NOW at this moment in time--a snapshot-- I would agree with you, and that team would be Florida. But the fact that we played probably our worst game of the season AND had some shady officiating to deal with throughout the game, not to mention 93,000 drunk LSU fans, and for us still to win I think says we' re still a dang good football team.

Sabanball
11/8/2008, 08:09 PM
I know our Team has weak links in it....

Our kickoff squad and the inconsistant field goals are awful. Thank goodness it hasn't cost us more this year.

The Texas game is the only one I think it hurt us. Of course that's easy to say since we lost.

What I'm getting at though is that the National Media really overlooks us because of the Texas loss...but our only loss is against a very solid ranked team.

Florida and suc should have gotten hammered for those losses they had earlier.

With Penn St. losing today to Iowa, it will be interesting to see how they are treated compared to florida and suc.

If they get hammered really bad...I'm calling BS.

Sure I wanted PSU out of our way...but they should also stay in the BCS Bowl hunt if florida and suc remain in.

If Florida hadn't gotten so much of a BCS bump the last two to three weeks...I wouldn't have even posted any of this...but something seems amiss IMO.

Stop poor-mouthing...;) Seriously, you must not be seeing the same 'national media' that we are down here. It's almost universally acknowledged everywhere I look and read that you guys and Florida are playing better than anyone right now. Like I've said before, win out and the rankings will take care of themselves. That's the same thing I would say to my team.

kevpks
11/8/2008, 08:09 PM
Do we even exist. Apparently according to James and Flutie, OSU and Texas are contenders in addition to Tech. USC is a player also. A mention would have been nice. Just sayin.

Okie35
11/8/2008, 08:12 PM
Almost. TTech has to beat OSU. Otherwise, Tejas wins the Big-12 south, and there's NO WAY we get into the title game without winning our conference.

so what if texas loses to ku :cool: ... ? huh? lol... and don't ask like it CANT happen because it can... even after their loss earlier today in lincoln...

Since71ASooner4Life
11/8/2008, 08:22 PM

not if Tech loses tonight. If we dont get the 3 way tie in South, the Shorthorns get the conference championship game to add to their winning totals. We need Tech to win. I'd like to see them win big.

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2008, 08:34 PM
My brother didn't understand the 3-way tie either until I drew it up in the following analogy - imagine one of those old "Mexican standoffs" from bad western movies.

We will have a gun pointed at Tech, Tech at Texas, and Texas at us. There's no clear winner. The BCS will be the gank squad that shows up at the last minute and clears out the 2 lowest ranked teams, leaving OU as the last man standing.

In light of the teams involved, can then we call this scenario a Texican standoff?

jkjsooner
11/8/2008, 09:00 PM
Nice analogy about the Mexican standoff. Back in the late '80s I had a discussion about a possible NU/OU/OSU three way tie with my aggie teacher. He kept saying, "But so and so gets it based on their head-to-head win." No matter how many times I tried to explain it Aggie just didn't get it.

Luckily we beat the aggies and went undefeated and there was no tie scenario.

Anyway, I'm not so sure we would get to the CCG even with the three way tie. Texas right now is above us in the BCS. We would have to jump them. We would definitely narrow the gap with wins over OSU and Tech but with Tech all but eliminated based on a falling ranking, too many will view it as a comparison of OU and UT and UT beat us. (Tech would, of course, still be in the 3 way tie but I'm talking about the way the BCS voters would look at it.)

Plus, if that scenario plays out, Texas will argue that while UT and TT lost in road games, OU lost on a neutral field.

I would love to see two Big 12 teams play in the title game.

What I do NOT want to see happen (even if it was in our benefit) is if, say, Texas wins the south and loses in the CCG, then we go to the title game. I have a fundamental problem with a team being punished for playing in a game that another team didn't even qualify for. If it's in different conference or division I don't have a problem with it but no team who finished second in a division should ever be picked above the team who finished first and lost the conference champ game.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 09:13 PM
What I do NOT want to see happen (even if it was in our benefit) is if, say, Texas wins the south and loses in the CCG, then we go to the title game. I have a fundamental problem with a team being punished for playing in a game that another team didn't even qualify for. If it's in different conference or division I don't have a problem with it but no team who finished second in a division should ever be picked above the team who finished first and lost the conference champ game.

I couldn't agree more.

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2008, 09:33 PM
Nice analogy about the Mexican standoff. Back in the late '80s I had a discussion about a possible NU/OU/OSU three way tie with my aggie teacher. He kept saying, "But so and so gets it based on their head-to-head win." No matter how many times I tried to explain it Aggie just didn't get it.

Luckily we beat the aggies and went undefeated and there was no tie scenario.

Anyway, I'm not so sure we would get to the CCG even with the three way tie. Texas right now is above us in the BCS. We would have to jump them. We would definitely narrow the gap with wins over OSU and Tech but with Tech all but eliminated based on a falling ranking, too many will view it as a comparison of OU and UT and UT beat us. (Tech would, of course, still be in the 3 way tie but I'm talking about the way the BCS voters would look at it.)

Plus, if that scenario plays out, Texas will argue that while UT and TT lost in road games, OU lost on a neutral field.

I would love to see two Big 12 teams play in the title game.

With Penn State losing, that last scenario becomes more of a possibility for someone. But if Tech beats OsU tonight, that's the last thing keeping our destiny out of our own hands. The BCS being a creature with a history of short term memory loss has long penalized teams for late losses more than those with early season losses. It's easier for people to say "This OU team is really on fire, or Texas just isn't the same team that beat OU at the beginning of the season."

With our final 2 games against at least 1 top 5 team and another likely top 10 team, it would be hard for OU to not move ahead in the polls. Of course this all hinges on us winning out, which while definitely not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination, at least is something we can directly control.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 09:52 PM
With our final 2 games against at least 1 top 5 team and another likely top 10 team, it would be hard for OU to not move ahead in the polls. Of course this all hinges on us winning out, which while definitely not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination, at least is something we can directly control.

I don't think so. OU lost to Texas on a neutral field. Texas lost on the road to a top-5 team in the closing seconds of the game. And Texas is still playing at a high level, there's no reason to believe they are worse than they wer in October. OU beating Tech won't change people's minds because the game is in Norman, not Lubbock. Even if OU goes into Stillwater and wins, I think Texas gets the nod.

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2008, 09:57 PM
I really don't think that field advantage will weigh more heavily with most BCS voters than the freshness and quality of the wins. Sure I could be wrong, but I don't think so. This sort of thing happens every year in the BCS, and invariably the more recent the loss, the more weight it is given.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 10:02 PM
I really don't think that field advantage will weigh more heavily with most BCS voters than the freshness and quality of the wins. Sure I could be wrong, but I don't think so. This sort of thing happens every year in the BCS, and invariably the more recent the loss, the more weight it is given.

Well if it doesn't probably should! I think Texas would have won if the game was in Austin. All football fans know that games are tougher on the road than at home.

Indy Sooner
11/8/2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think so. OU lost to Texas on a neutral field. Texas lost on the road to a top-5 team in the closing seconds of the game. And Texas is still playing at a high level, there's no reason to believe they are worse than they wer in October. OU beating Tech won't change people's minds because the game is in Norman, not Lubbock. Even if OU goes into Stillwater and wins, I think Texas gets the nod.

Yer stoned. If tech holds on tonight and OU were to win out resulting in a tech/tu/OU tie... OU/SEC in the title game. Period.

Indy Sooner
11/8/2008, 10:03 PM
Well if it doesn't probably should! I think Texas would have won if the game was in Austin. All football fans know that games are tougher on the road than at home.

Ole Miss sure thinks so.

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 10:04 PM

...but they lost, their loss is more recent then our loss, and we are playing better then texas is right now. If we beat both TT and OSU we will pass them up.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 10:14 PM
Stop poor-mouthing...;) Seriously, you must not be seeing the same 'national media' that we are down here. It's almost universally acknowledged everywhere I look and read that you guys and Florida are playing better than anyone right now. Like I've said before, win out and the rankings will take care of themselves. That's the same thing I would say to my team.

I don't think you understand me to well.

Florida lost to Kentucky....a SEC team yes...but they are no texas.

Yeah were playing well....but as far as the media is concerned...Florida got a 15 percent jump in BCS points and passed us in the BCS rankings.

They no more deserved that than we deserved to lose BCS points for winning last week and "Playing Well".

Poor mouthing.....not really.

Fact is...we got screwed last week for beating the crap out of Nebraska and Nebraska turned around and beat Kansas today. Cinncinati, who we played earlier beat another Top 25 team this week. We got hosed.

I'll state facts and you can go on calling it poor mouthing....

Your team was lucky to pull that one out today.

Finding a way to win though...that's what keeps an undeafeated like Alabama from having to endure this BCS BS that we are seeinig.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 10:17 PM
...but they lost, their loss is more recent then our loss, and we are playing better then texas is right now. If we beat both TT and OSU we will pass them up.

I wouldn't say that we're playing better than Texas is right now. Sure, we're coming off big wins over nebraska and aTm, but thats nothing to hang your hat on. Texas would wipe their asses with those teams too.

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 10:18 PM
Texas would wipe their asses with those teams too.

Not like we did.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't say that we're playing better than Texas is right now. Sure, we're coming off big wins over nebraska and aTm, but thats nothing to hang your hat on. Texas would wipe their asses with those teams too.

Uh huh...

Did you watch the texas game today?

Baylor was a couple of plays from giving them a game going into the half.

Baylor never threatened us like that.

The whorns defense is getting worse.

Sabanball
11/8/2008, 10:29 PM
I don't think you understand me to well.

Florida lost to Kentucky....a SEC team yes...but they are no texas.

Yeah were playing well....but as far as the media is concerned...Florida got a 15 percent jump in BCS points and passed us in the BCS rankings.

They no more deserved that than we deserved to lose BCS points for winning last week and "Playing Well".

Poor mouthing.....not really.

Fact is...we got screwed last week for beating the crap out of Nebraska and Nebraska turned around and beat Kansas today. Cinncinati, who we played earlier beat another Top 25 team this week. We got hosed.

I'll state facts and you can go on calling it poor mouthing....

Your team was lucky to pull that one out today.

Finding a way to win though...that's what keeps an undeafeated like Alabama from having to endure this BCS BS that we are seeinig.

Florida lost to Ole Miss, not Kentucky.

Quit worrying about getting love from the media--keep winning and everything else will take care of itself.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 10:31 PM
Not like we did.

So you really think that OU's play since the Texas game has warranted them moving ahead of Texas even though they lost the game? How good would our chances of going into to Lubbock and winning be? I'd say less than 50%. Personally, I think OU and Texas are fairly evenly matched and both better than Tech (although playing @Tech is a different animal). In a tiebreaker, I would have to go with the team that won on a neutral field. I know that if you switched OU and Texas' roles here, I would be livid if somehow Texas ended up in the NC game over us.

hink4769
11/8/2008, 10:33 PM
Uh huh...

Did you watch the texas game today?

Baylor was a couple of plays from giving them a game going into the half.

Baylor never threatened us like that.

The whorns defense is getting worse.

no i didn't all i saw was that they won by > 3 touchdowns.

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 10:34 PM
So you really think that OU's play since the Texas game has warranted them moving ahead of Texas even though they lost the game?

Not yet maybe, but if we beat TT and OSU, then yes.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 10:35 PM
Florida lost to Ole Miss, not Kentucky.

Quit worrying about getting love from the media--keep winning and everything else will take care of itself.

Your right...I knew it was one of them...lol

It's not so much the love as it is BCS points.

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2008, 10:55 PM
So you really think that OU's play since the Texas game has warranted them moving ahead of Texas even though they lost the game? How good would our chances of going into to Lubbock and winning be? I'd say less than 50%. Personally, I think OU and Texas are fairly evenly matched and both better than Tech (although playing @Tech is a different animal). In a tiebreaker, I would have to go with the team that won on a neutral field. I know that if you switched OU and Texas' roles here, I would be livid if somehow Texas ended up in the NC game over us.

You're not thinking like a BCS voter though. You have to get into a much more limited mindset and think about rewarding wins and punishing losses. Texas has really ran out of quality win material, but we have two highly ranked teams left on the schedule. That basically adds up to a lot more potential to move in the rankings (up for wins, down for losses for those keeping score).

I do think we're pretty evenly matched with Texas. But thats not what your average voter is going to be thinking about. Did any sane person really think that Penn State could have beaten Texas, Florida, USC, or OU? No, but they got ranked ahead of those teams by continuing to rack up wins and the corresponding boosts in the polls while those other teams were penalized for each of their losses. It's rare that you see enough voters pull together to re-examine where the teams should *really* be instead of falling into the predictable +1 -4 etc system of rewarding wins and punishing losses.

sendbaht
11/8/2008, 11:28 PM
Great win for Mike L....and us.:)

Sooner_Rog
11/8/2008, 11:41 PM
Is Kirk playing dumb on the OU, Tech, UT potential tie? He makes it sound like it will blow up the BCS...

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 11:42 PM
Is Kirk playing dumb on the OU, Tech, UT potential tie? He makes it sound like it will blow up the BCS...

He ain't playing. ;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/8/2008, 11:44 PM
The bottom line is now I don't see any way that USC is going to jump a 1-loss (or no loss of course) Big 12 or SEC champ.

At this point the only way we don't control our destiny by winning out is if TT loses at home to Baylor. Texas has gmaes at KU and at home with A&M. So a loss followed by two game they "should" win big. Not only will they not get much help in the polls, they will probably take a little bit of hit in the computers.

We are going to get the last chance to make an impression on 2 nationally televised games. If you don't think we will get the nod after beating the Heisman front-runner AND beating OSU in Stillwater the last 2 weeks then you are mistaken.

Now we just need to win out.

The Maestro
11/8/2008, 11:45 PM
This thread deterioriated amongst those NOT in the know.

Having said that, it is simple to explain.

Title game is FU/Bama winner vs. OU/Texas/Tech higher seed in Big 12...unless Big 12 meltdown amongst each other and then USC gets to sneak in at our demise.

I still think we roll Tech in Norman. That game in Stillwater has scared me since early on and still does. But if we beat Tech from start to finish with two weeks of hype, GameDay in Norman and a great game from us, all we have to do is win in Stillwater by a point and we dance.

josh09
11/8/2008, 11:51 PM
I like controlling our own destiny :)

OK2LA
11/9/2008, 12:00 AM
. . . But if we beat Tech from start to finish with two weeks of hype, GameDay in Norman and a great game from us, all we have to do is win in Stillwater by a point and we dance.

Don't forget about that trickly little thing we call a Conference Title Game;) (maybe that's what you meant by dancing - :confused: I dunno - but I thought you were talkin' about the Big Dance)

Don't get me wrong - I see Tech and OSU as bigger problems, but I'd hate for us to "overlook" an ozark aggie team with vengeance on their mind.

The Maestro
11/9/2008, 12:04 AM
Don't forget about that trickly little thing we call a Conference Title Game;) (maybe that's what you meant by dancing - :confused: I dunno - but I thought you were talkin' about the Big Dance)

Don't get me wrong - I see Tech and OSU as bigger problems, but I'd hate for us to "overlook" an ozark aggie team with vengeance on their mind.

I guess I would agree with you except everyone in the know says Mizzou has NO athletes to compete with the big boys and it is all scheme that leads to their moderate success. Besides, Chasey boy's next win over a team from Oklahoma will be...his FIRST!

OK2LA
11/9/2008, 12:05 AM
Besides, Chasey boy's next win over a team from Oklahoma will be...his FIRST!

TRUTH! Speak it.

The Maestro
11/9/2008, 12:09 AM
Hey...by the way...did anyone see the penalty on Cal tonight when down 10-3 and they scored to make it 10-10? They called it back due to "ineligible receiver downfield". Chris Spielman doing color for ABC showed the play from three angles and NO Cal lineman were even past the line of scrimmage.

Worst call ever...not to mention USC's first of an impressive two touchdowns at home versus that powerhouse defense from Cal that hit the ground before the receiver caught it.

USC should not even be mentioned in the hunt...since they don't even control their own destiny for the sack-tastic Pacifier 10.

tommieharris91
11/9/2008, 12:09 AM
I like controlling our own destiny :)

I wouldn't call putting our fate in the hands of a buncha computers and people who supposedly watch football control of our own destiny...

jwlynn64
11/9/2008, 01:25 AM

Speaking of the Texas game and the season in general (for OU), I think that it can be broken down into two categories: 1. Games in which we had a competent middle linebacker and 2. Games in which we did not.

We clearly won the first half of the Texas game (even while allowing a KOR for a touchdown). Texas clearly won the the second half after RR went out with a blown knee.

In the games that RR played and for most of the KSU game and the aTm game today, the D looked pretty good with Austin Box starting to really play better.

I don't think that it is too far of a stretch to say that if the game were played again today, the outcome of an OU/TX game would probably not match the result of the game earlier.

Having said that, I don't think that it is too far fetched that OU could pass TX in the human polls by winning out.

As for who would win in Lubbock... maybe I'm an idealist, but I would wager that it is the same team who will win in Norman.

VA Sooner
11/9/2008, 02:20 AM
Texas Tech has pretty good balance... they've discovered this year that you do need running backs to keep opponents' defenses off-balance. Graham Harrell has pretty good control of the offense and runs it fairly efficiently. Even with OSU's different blitz packages and coverage in space, he was still able to pick it apart including the shovel passes and quick throws on the screen when the blitz was coming.

One sack all night? He's hard to get too. Credit the offensive line, the QB and the unheralded Tech defense.

Now... how do we get past all that? Our secondary looked better today except for that last drive for the garbage touchdown. Our offense is still very diverse which will allow us to keep up in a shootout.

What we need is a lot of help on special teams including kickoffs and punts.

DangTire
11/9/2008, 05:51 AM
Techs defense is good enough to get a couple of stops on OU. OU's defense is going to be lucky to hold them to 700 yards and a field goal here and there. That should tell you something. Prepare for A LOT of Vulnerables mouth breathing.

BermudaSooner
11/9/2008, 08:37 AM
Having said that, I don't think that it is too far fetched that OU could pass TX in the human polls by winning out.

OU already is ahead of TX in the human polls.

Harris Poll - OU 5, TX 6
USA Today Coaches - OU 4, TX 7

We are well behind in the computer - 6 vs 3, but that gap will close if not vanish if we win out.

For TX to win the tiebreaker, humans will have to change their votes.

MI Sooner
11/9/2008, 11:16 AM
We would definitely narrow the gap with wins over OSU and Tech but with Tech all but eliminated based on a falling ranking, too many will view it as a comparison of OU and UT and UT beat us. (Tech would, of course, still be in the 3 way tie but I'm talking about the way the BCS voters would look at it.)

This worries me too, and it almost makes me think that a close victory over TTU might be better than a blowout. We need the pollsters to be choosing between OU, TTU, and UT, not just us and UT. If TTU falls to around 8th, then all the idiots like Mike and Mike and Mark May will be saying, "How can you rank OU ahead of Texas?" And people will listen.

I still see a nightmare scenario of the south team losing the CCG, USC not winning the Pac-10, and Penn St. playing Florida as a possibility.

The Maestro
11/9/2008, 01:29 PM
For TX to win the tiebreaker, humans will have to change their votes.

True...and there is no chance of that happening if we both win out. We have TT and OSU...Texas has Kansas and aTm.

badger
11/9/2008, 01:45 PM
:) I like having a week off from the insanity of it all, but most of all, once again having control of OU's destiny :)

:mad: because if the pollsters even THINK of putting OU behind Tech or Texas if we win out, there will be hell to pay. HELL.

JLEW1818
11/9/2008, 02:10 PM
Regardless the way I see it, a big 12 team will be in the title game.

JLEW1818
11/9/2008, 02:16 PM
Well CBS thinks what most of us think.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

The Maestro
11/9/2008, 03:13 PM
Hey, I wonder if bri is okay with us being happy Penn State lost. I'd sure hate to think his interlink approval wasn't meant for me!

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2008, 03:18 PM
Well CBS thinks what most of us think.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

I love the prediction of USC vs PSU in the Rose Bowl. It would probably be a boring, low-scoring game and nobody would even care who won outside the 2 schools. It would be a great start to '09 :P

Indy Sooner
11/9/2008, 04:16 PM
:mad: because if the pollsters even THINK of putting OU behind Tech or Texas if we win out, there will be hell to pay. HELL.

Don't worry... if OU wins out- both Tech and TX U. will be behind them in the human polls and computer ranking.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/24/2008, 03:47 PM
Techs defense is good enough to get a couple of stops on OU. OU's defense is going to be lucky to hold them to 700 yards and a field goal here and there. That should tell you something. Prepare for A LOT of Vulnerables mouth breathing.

Or more like Tech's defense might hold OU under 70 and OU's defense will make Harrell and Crabtree look like North Texas. Next time let us know what stocks to sell so we can buy them all up.