11/8/2008, 05:08 PM
Dude....

Boomer.....
11/8/2008, 05:08 PM
Morelands kick wasn't much better.

Pull Tress Way's redshirt!

mightysooner
11/8/2008, 05:09 PM
Haven't seen a kicker this bad here in ages.

okienole3
11/8/2008, 05:15 PM
corderro didn't like it either

mightysooner
11/8/2008, 05:16 PM
I think that extra point might be Stevens career long field goal.

CK Sooner
11/8/2008, 05:16 PM
corderro didn't like it either

That is what I was mostly talking about.

You don't buck up to your your teammate, especially if it's a lineman.

Cam
11/8/2008, 05:18 PM
That is what I was mostly talking about.

You don't buck up to your your teammate, especially if it's a lineman.

I'd rather see him buck up than look like a complete ***** and just take it. Shouldn't be talking **** about your teammates to begin with, which is what I'm assuming is what happened.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 05:19 PM
What's this all about, for those that are unable to watch?

CK Sooner
11/8/2008, 05:27 PM
What's this all about, for those that are unable to watch?

Stevens is missing field goals as usual. (just made one though)

He came off the Field and Cordero Moore was talking to him and Jimmy grabbed his helmet and was throwing him around a little bit and Moore did the same.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 05:30 PM
And then?

okienole3
11/8/2008, 05:32 PM
it was after moreland missed his fg attempt. It looks like they made up.

redhawk49
11/8/2008, 05:36 PM
I'd rather see him buck up than look like a complete ***** and just take it. Shouldn't be talking **** about your teammates to begin with, which is what I'm assuming is what happened.
Whatever he said to him- it worked.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 05:37 PM
Moore should get in his face more often. That 42yarder was solid!!

Maybe this kick-starts (heh) Steven's confidence. (I can dream, okay?)

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 05:48 PM
Whatever it takes to end his slump...

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 05:52 PM
there can't possibly be a team that has more "almost intercepted" than us...

thesnowbishop
11/8/2008, 11:20 PM
I guess it's nice to see somebody else get in Jimmy's head other than himself. Go Cordero.

Piware
11/9/2008, 12:10 AM
Well, I had been thinking someone needed to rattle him like a cheap tambourine since the second game of the season. Assumed it would be a special teams coach but whoever is responsible for that part of our game planning seems to be on sabbatical.

Surely to goodness on a campus with over 100K students, including soccer and rugby players, we could round up a kicker that doesn't look scared to death every time he takes the field and could put the ball between the uprights 9 out of 10 times.

I feel sorry for the kid but he's drivin' me freaking crazy.

P.S. Are there anymore Lasher family members left in Oklahoma? Younger brother, nephew, agile grandfather....there needs to be a recruiting campaign.

tommieharris91
11/9/2008, 12:16 AM
P.S. Are there anymore Lasher family members left in Oklahoma? Younger brother, nephew, agile grandfather....there needs to be a recruiting campaign.

Some Hartley's or Duncan's would be nice too.

setem
11/9/2008, 12:17 AM
Did Jimmy miss a FG today? I thought Mooreland was the guy who missed?

That was not cool by Moore but if it gets our kicking game sparked I am all for it!

Boomer.....
11/9/2008, 12:19 AM

That was not cool by Moore but if it gets our kicking game sparked I am all for it!

Both missed one.

yermom
11/9/2008, 12:38 AM
100k?

what school are you talking about? :)

olevetonahill
11/9/2008, 12:40 AM

:rolleyes:

jwlynn64
11/9/2008, 12:43 AM
Don't know how it translates into two weeks from now but every extra point in the second half was solid and right down the middle. Maybe he found whatever was missing.

aurorasooner
11/9/2008, 12:50 AM
Don't know how it translates into two weeks from now but every extra point in the second half was solid and right down the middle. Maybe he found whatever was missing.
Maybe we should make C. Moore captain of the KO team, or at least if he's not on it, put him on it. As bad as our EPs/FGs are it's not even in the same lame league as our KO coverage.

rainiersooner
11/9/2008, 01:45 AM
That was not cool by Moore but if it gets our kicking game sparked I am all for it! I thought it was spot on by Moore and I would refer everyone to the DMack thread about players holding players accountable. It certainly seemed to work.

VA Sooner
11/9/2008, 01:57 AM
I see a scholarship getting dumped and recruitment for a new kicker coming next year. I was at the Spring Game... did Tress Way kick then? I wasn't paying attention to the kicking (except noticing the kickoffs were all short) as much as I was the secondary.

BermudaSooner
11/9/2008, 08:55 AM

Not only was it missed, it was pulled incredibly bad. I haven't seen a shot pulled that bad since my buddy hit the starter shack off the first tee at Mid Ocean Club. (The starter shack is 10 yards in front and 15 yards to the left of the tee box).

That 42 yarder was solid though.

StoopTroup
11/9/2008, 09:02 AM
Moreland missing might have been a good thing.

Jimmy got back out there and did his thing.

Had Matt dinked that ugly ball he kicked in...we might have had a FG kicker controversy after yesterday. I don't think that would have been a good thing. We have to go with what we have to work with. Hopefully Jimmy never misses another one and Matt realizes he should continue to try and get another ten yards out of his kickoffs.

Whatever Cordero said to Jimmy....It must have been good...lol.

soonershane22
11/9/2008, 09:12 AM
There is absolutely no reason that any "kicker" should not get the ball into the endzone at least 95% of the time on a kickoff where everyone is just standing there! That has driven me nuts all year! When a kicker has absolutely ONE job to do then they should have people up in their grills when they can't get it done.You know they aren't practicing tackling in practice. they do nothing but kick...or should be doing nothing but kicking. I personally know that there are enough soccer players on campus to form TWO intermural soccer teams...not to mention the rugby guys...who by the way would slobber-knock a returner if he got to them, plus we wouldn't have to spend the extra money for a helmet, they would refuse it...probably pads too. In fact now that I think about it, bench the entire special teams and just put 3 rugby guys out there. They can take care of business!

Oh yeah, the kicking. What worries me most is the kickers technique. It is horrible and makes me cringe everytime they strike the ball. Maybe we could get one of the girls soccer coaches to come over and work on technique with these guys? I guarantee they would add 10-15 yards and accuracy to their kicks with just that.

colleyvillesooner
11/9/2008, 09:24 AM
Not every kicker gets it into the endzone like before. Remember, they kick off from the 30 now, so all those kicks that go to the goal line or 3 yards deep are possibly touchbacks two years ago.

Spray
11/9/2008, 09:37 AM
I remember Hartley's and Duncan's first seasons being a bit inconsistent as well. Stevens reminds me of the Oregon St. kicker whose coach stuck with him and he became a Groza winner.

Partial Qualifier
11/9/2008, 09:47 AM
Whatever he said, it worked. Prolly questioned his manhood. He knew it was gonna **** Stevens off 'cause it seemed he was expecting a backlash and didnt mind it.

Tough Love by Cordero Moore. :)

sooner518
11/9/2008, 10:01 AM
There is absolutely no reason that any "kicker" should not get the ball into the endzone at least 95% of the time on a kickoff where everyone is just standing there! That has driven me nuts all year! When a kicker has absolutely ONE job to do then they should have people up in their grills when they can't get it done.You know they aren't practicing tackling in practice. they do nothing but kick...or should be doing nothing but kicking. I personally know that there are enough soccer players on campus to form TWO intermural soccer teams...not to mention the rugby guys...who by the way would slobber-knock a returner if he got to them, plus we wouldn't have to spend the extra money for a helmet, they would refuse it...probably pads too. In fact now that I think about it, bench the entire special teams and just put 3 rugby guys out there. They can take care of business!

Oh yeah, the kicking. What worries me most is the kickers technique. It is horrible and makes me cringe everytime they strike the ball. Maybe we could get one of the girls soccer coaches to come over and work on technique with these guys? I guarantee they would add 10-15 yards and accuracy to their kicks with just that.

Spoken like someone who has most likely never kicked a football. Watch the pros. Most NFL kickers dont even kick it into the endzone "95% of the time". The fact that the kickoff spot was moved back 5 yards this season (maybe it was last season, not quite sure when that change occurred) doesnt help either. Moreland has been pretty good on deep kicking this year with alot of his kicks getting 5 yards into the endzone. Last year those would have been out of the back of the endzone. To do that this year, he has to kick the ball 80 yards in the air. And its not a matter of just kicking really hard at the ball. It's akin to driving a golf ball off the tee. Alot of times, the harder you swing, the less solidly you hit the ball.

As far Stevens' FG yesterday, yea it was bad. Real bad. And his PATs in the first half seemed about 6 inches from being blocked. It looked like he picked it up somewhat in the second half though, so hopefully he's got his swagger back. ;)

soonershane22
11/9/2008, 10:23 AM
My point was that it is not just getting to or into the endzone, it is the technique. Most all of the kicks no matter how far are flat giving the return team no time at all to get down there before the returner has a full head of steam. I'm talking about the kicks that barely make it to the 15. I am talking about extra point kicks that barely get over the crossbar. This is all technique. The reason you want soccer players for kickers? They have been taught technique since they were kids. Foot placement, follow through, where to strike the ball. If you want to compare it to golf, go ahead, you can. Most footballs on a kick need to be "chipped" a little to give your guys time to get down the field. Especially extra points. Your not kicking that far and you want to make sure that you clear the line very quickly. Get a little under the ball, chip it, and no problems. If you are swinging a golf club and you want to get the maximum distance do you stop your swing as soon as you strike the ball? Watch the next few kickoffs. Sometimes he stops his kick as soon as he strikes the ball and it goes to the 20 or maybe the 15. Occassionally he follows through with his kick and it goes within the 5 or into the endzone. A good kick because of good technique. That was my point, the technique is inconsistent and for some reason it is not being corrected. Early in the season you can chalk it up to nerves, but by this point you should see consistent kicks most of the time.

sooner518
11/9/2008, 10:27 AM
I'll agree that the PATs and FGs could definitely be better. Missed PATs should happen once, maybe twice in a season. And missing that 30 yarder was bad. He just shanked it.

Kickoffs are inconsistent too. It seems like some of the short kicks are attributable to the coaches instructing them to kick it higher and shorter to negate the possibility of a long run back. I dont know. Im not in the huddle.

Our kickers definitely need improvement, I just hate when people say stuff like "your one job is to kick the ball, you should never miss!" It's not that simple.

fadada1
11/9/2008, 10:36 AM
Most NFL kickers dont even kick it into the endzone "95% of the time".
FAGS!
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2405/spicolidb4.png (http://imageshack.us)