PDA

View Full Version : So how are the Sooner Ladies going to do?

stoopified
11/8/2008, 10:50 AM
With all the excitement surrounding Blake and the guys,Sherri's bunch seems overlooked around here.We all know that OU lost Jenna but Danielle Robinson is back as is Rose Hammond,who with more pt I think will show just how good she can be.In addition OU aded two top guard recruits in 6'1 Whitney Hand and 5'10 Jasmine Hartman.

Guard play of course is key to OU's sucess this season as the front court is proven and solid with Ashley,Courtney,Stevenson,Thompson, and Rothlisberger back.If Danielle can play as she did last year and the sddition of Hand,Hartman ,along with more playing time for Hammond can elevate the level of guard play this team can be much improved over last year.

With strong rebounding from the Paris sisters and very athletic wing players like Thompson,Stevenson,Hammond,and Hand,I look for OU to push the ball and press more(much like what I expect from Capel and crew.

When forced into half court of course this is where OU much show improvement over last year's achilles heel-outside shooting.Hand and Hartman are supposed to be good outside shots and hopefully Vining can find her highly-recruited stroke.

Without seeing how improved the outside shooting is ,my best guess is we can compete for the Big 12 and are proably a Sweet 16 team.If we can have decent shooting from outside we have the talent for the Final Four,but I would like to wait and see how OUr guard play and outside shooting is in nonconference before making that call.

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 10:58 AM
It's gonna be all about the guard play -- can they handle the ball against pressure and make good decisions, can they pass much better then OU has been able to do the past few years, and can they make an outside shot on a regular basis.

badger
11/9/2008, 10:27 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07Aq6Nuavg24d/340x.jpg
Pat Summit is holding Sherri Coale's trophy.

Remembering Tom Stidham
11/9/2008, 10:59 AM
Our women will sin it all this season.

badger
11/9/2008, 01:42 PM
Our women will sin it all this season.

:P You little devil, you :P

the_ouskull
11/9/2008, 11:10 PM
There are a couple of ladies on the team, including the coach, who could be considered "sinful," and that's okay. Don't fence them in. :D

the_ouskull

AllAboutThe'O'
11/10/2008, 07:00 PM
This is going to be the Parises' final season, so I believe the Sooners will play with a sense of urgency this year. Also, having the conference and an NCAA regional tournament at OKC will help as well. But there are no excuses this year - the Sooners have the talent to make a deep run in the tourney; they can't afford another Ole Miss or a Notre Dame-type loss.

Remembering Tom Stidham
11/10/2008, 08:02 PM
My son is a close friend of Whitney Hand's father. At the recent Sooner Caravan in Dallas, I visited with him all evening. I am so pleased she has gotten off to a great start.

soonervegas
11/11/2008, 06:08 PM
I admit I don't watch the girls and don't know much about this year's team, but:

They make it to the Sweet 16 and get ousted due to a quicker team.

picasso
11/13/2008, 01:29 PM
guard play in womens bball is huge. gotta knock down the mid range shot.

humblesooner
11/13/2008, 02:51 PM
I think Whitney Hand may be the key to our success this year.
In my opinion, the reason for Courtney's slump (slump? - really?) in her Soph and Jr year, was the lack of an outside game to compliment her.
Our opponents knew that if we could dump to Courtney every time down the floor we would. Therefore they would triple team her on every possession and dare us to beat them from the outside.
Obviously, we were able to have some success, as we won a lot of games in the last two years. But if you look back at the losses that this team suffered, they were the games when our outside shooting was not "on".
Hate to put a lot of pressure on a true freshman, but I think Whitney may determine how far this team can go.
If JV finds her shot, she could be a difference maker, too.

stoopified
11/13/2008, 05:51 PM
I know it was only an exhibition but I was gld to see Carlee stroke the outside shot.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/13/2008, 06:14 PM
I also have this bad feeling there's going to be a game or two where we wish Jenna P. was still around.

stoopified
11/14/2008, 07:17 PM
I also have this bad feeling there's going to be a game or two where we wish Jenna P. was still around.Personally I don't think Jenna will be missed.

Salt City Sooner
11/14/2008, 07:32 PM
Neither do I, as far as actual gameplay goes. Now if it comes down to a free throw contest, it could be a different story. She & Amanda were the only 2 on the team last year that could be considered good FT shooters.

Ruuuuuufus
11/14/2008, 07:51 PM
If our PG goes through the season not shooting 3pters (less attempts than Courtney last year) again we are gonna be in trouble.

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2008, 10:12 PM
Two observations from the other night's exhibition with Okla Christian:

1. We rained down 3's the last part of the first half. Hand has a great touch. (sorry)

2. Sherri had CP3 out playing the perimeter quite a bit...especially on defense. Really noticeable.

Oh, and Courtney has a different attitude. At least that night. no smiles, just a glare...even when the game was over she was all biz.

Should be a fun year.

Rothlesberger's defense is frankly...steller.

Abbie has matured and lost a human's worth of poundage.

Vining took some 3's finally.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/16/2008, 09:31 PM
Anyone planning to go to the Cal - OU women's game played in San Jose in Dec? Cal is a top ten team also.

OU1988
11/17/2008, 01:15 PM
Anything less than a Final Four appearance will be a huge disappointment, but I really want to win it all this year.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/18/2008, 08:42 PM
OU moves up to No. 2 in this week's AP poll, trailing only UConn. The two teams square off in Husky territory later this month, with the top ranking likely at stake.