PDA

View Full Version : A Confession

JohnnyMack
11/8/2008, 10:08 AM
I know I'm supposed to hate Notre Dame, and I don't necessarily like them, but I have to tell you that I think that a cloudy, grey fall day in South Bend is one of the truly great events in college football.

The end.

OU-HSV
11/8/2008, 10:16 AM
The first step is confessing. You're on your way to recovery now. :D

stoopified
11/8/2008, 10:17 AM
Especially when an opponent beats ND by 2TDs or more.

Flagstaffsooner
11/8/2008, 10:24 AM
I know I'm supposed to hate Notre Dame, and I don't necessarily like them, but I have to tell you that I think that a cloudy, grey fall day in South Bend is one of the truly great events in college football.

The end.
Get back on the meds JM.

AlbqSooner
11/8/2008, 10:31 AM
They hate you on the South Oval. Why would you strive for the same on the football board???

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 10:34 AM
don't let yourself get suckered in by the sad stray cat thing. a good ND is the media devil.

remember Ty Willingham's first 6 games.....?

1890MilesToNorman
11/8/2008, 10:59 AM
I didn't know Regis Philbin posted here?

Harry Beanbag
11/8/2008, 11:02 AM

The end.

Actually, I agree. My hate for them has tempered somewhat the last 10+ years because they just plain suck, but I've always liked watching them play ball.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 11:05 AM
I hate 'em when they are good and I hate when they are bad and give USC a free, high profile victory every year. Other than that I like them.

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 11:07 AM
last time ND won a bowl game was 1988, i think.

Harry Beanbag
11/8/2008, 11:12 AM
last time ND won a bowl game was 1988, i think.

1994 actually. 9 losses in a row.

SoonerDood
11/8/2008, 11:45 AM
The first time I saw Notre Dame, they beat Miami in 1988. I still tolerate them.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 11:48 AM
JohnnyMack equals Regis Philbin...

It's all becoming clear to me now. :D ;)

A-M
11/8/2008, 11:49 AM
Don't like them now and haven't since they beat us and stopped our 47 winning streak. Got all of my 'red' speck here because I said this a year or so ago. Before that, I had a lot of green. Really don't care what anyone thinks, they deserve to lose every game they ever play!

Fraggle145
11/8/2008, 12:14 PM
Actually, I agree. My hate for them has tempered somewhat the last 10+ years because they just plain suck, but I've always liked watching them play ball.

F'em. I'm glad they suck. I actually like watching them get embarrassed on national TV.

swardboy
11/8/2008, 12:32 PM
Don't we have a home and home scheduled with them in the future? Actually I'd love to make the trip to South Bend, take in the nostalgia of Rockne, the Gipper, Hornung.....and beat Catholic butt.

beer4me
11/8/2008, 01:02 PM
F'em. I'm glad they suck. I actually like watching them get embarrassed on national TV.

GP. they are arrogant azzwipes that think their defecation doesn't stink.

TopDawg
11/8/2008, 01:14 PM

The end.

I feel ya. I think you can hate Notre Dame and still appreciate the tradition/atmosphere of Notre Dame football. Last week while watching the Pitt game, I saw a Notre Dame player coming out of the huddle and something just felt good about it. Kinda like those comfort foods from when you're a kid. I've never liked Notre Dame, but there's just something familiar about them.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 01:28 PM
I know I'm supposed to hate Notre Dame, and I don't necessarily like them, but I have to tell you that I think that a cloudy, grey fall day in South Bend when Notre Dame is getting a mudhole stomped into it, its cheerleaders are crying on the sidelines, its players are wanting to transfer, and the local priests are wondering if their favorite team will ever win again is one of the truly great events in college football.

Fixed.

JohnnyMack
11/8/2008, 01:44 PM
I feel ya. I think you can hate Notre Dame and still appreciate the tradition/atmosphere of Notre Dame football. Last week while watching the Pitt game, I saw a Notre Dame player coming out of the huddle and something just felt good about it. Kinda like those comfort foods from when you're a kid. I've never liked Notre Dame, but there's just something familiar about them.

That's what I was getting at. I don't like the Yankees either, but was sad to see the old stadium go. My thread wasn't concerned with the actual team, more the abstract notion of Notre Dame football.

StoopTroup
11/8/2008, 01:55 PM
You are so money. :D ;)

http://opinionatrix.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/mill_regis_b6.jpg

Fraggle145
11/8/2008, 02:01 PM

OMG. I am going to have to line up and start beating the ghey out of all of you. The only acceptable liking of Notre Dame is one man tear at the end of the movie Rudy :eek: and then you deny, deny, deny:cool: .

BTW I heard the stadium actually kinda sucks from more than one person. no video monitor for replays. and splinter butt.

oubose
11/8/2008, 02:02 PM
How can a team noted as gods team suck so bad???

That's right gods a SOONER like the rest of us!!!

SoonerJack
11/8/2008, 02:23 PM
That's what I was getting at. I don't like the Yankees either, but was sad to see the old stadium go. My thread wasn't concerned with the actual team, more the abstract notion of Notre Dame football.

You should watch The Freshman with Harold Lloyd. It is filled with the abstract notion of football. And is one of the funniest silent films I've ever seen.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/8/2008, 02:54 PM

The end.

Dude.

That sucked so hard it's a wonder the back of your neck hasn't exploded yet.

You're fired. FOREVER.

Harry Beanbag
11/8/2008, 02:57 PM

Oh, I'm glad they suck too. I just appreciate the tradition like JM does.

Fraggle145
11/8/2008, 03:06 PM
Oh, I'm glad they suck too. I just appreciate the tradition like JM does.

I like their new tradition. Of Sucking. :D

Rogue
11/8/2008, 03:20 PM
BTW I heard the stadium actually kinda sucks from more than one person. no video monitor for replays. and splinter butt.

Having been to most of the Big XII stadia and living by one of the SEC monsters here (Neyland Stadium), I disagree with this completely. Full disclosure: I like me some ND. The stadium there is unique. It's strictly business and that business is ND history and football. There's not anything commercial about it. No planes flying around advertising tittay bars and bailbondsmen, no advertising of any sort either time I've been there, just football. Yeah, it might be low-tech. But that place is something else.

Here's a good story:
My 2nd game in South Bend; got tix from a VOLS season ticket holder (rest his soul). Mrs. Rogue and I drove hours and hours up there cause I've raved about the place since watching the Sooners there in '98 or so. We get to the county line and Mrs. Rogues says "you got the tix, right?" I knew she was just pulling my leg again. Only this time she wasn't and we'd left the tix here in Tennessee. Our neighbors came over and read us the seat assignments. We stayed the night and got to the campus early and went to WILL CALL. The ND peeps were nice and said that the VOLS ticket people would arrive an hour before kickoff and we could talk to them. All I had to tell them was the name of the ticket holder and they looked him up and said, "hold on just a minute." They turned around and printed 2 more tickets for us and we enjoyed watching the game that day. I'm tellin' ya, there's magic in that place.

guzziguy
11/8/2008, 04:50 PM
See signature below. I've never considered changing it. Never will.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 05:24 PM
OMG, we have become a land of sentimental weenies.

Fraggle145
11/8/2008, 05:38 PM
http://files.colonies.com/userdata/3245069/blogphotos/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

A-M
11/9/2008, 06:16 PM
Quzziguy:
From your signature, I have decided that I am in love with you. I don't care how old, ugly or poor you are, will you marry me?

TopDawg
11/9/2008, 06:24 PM
OMG. I am going to have to line up and start beating the ghey out of all of you. The only acceptable liking of Notre Dame is one man tear at the end of the movie Rudy :eek: and then you deny, deny, deny:cool: .

You think you can out-hate me when it comes to Notre Dame? I don't like the movie Rudy BECAUSE it's about a Notre Dame player. I've seen it once and that was enough. I avoid seeing it because I hate Notre Dame.

But you love Notre Dame so much you get emotional about their kickers. Ghey.

guzziguy
11/9/2008, 08:43 PM
Quzziguy:
From your signature, I have decided that I am in love with you. I don't care how old, ugly or poor you are, will you marry me?

Uhh , that first letter is a G. As in Go-Fast. Chose it because of my liking of a rather unique brand of Italian motorcycles, Moto Guzzi. I'm glad you like the signature. It truly comes from the heart. Sooner fan all the way back t the 50's. Grandpa to boot. Already married for 35+ years to a great lady who was my high school sweetheart.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/9/2008, 09:37 PM
http://stadium.nd.edu/gallery/

StormySooner-IN
11/9/2008, 09:50 PM
What the ****.

I will gladly trade you geographic locations. Personally, I think a cloudy grey day in South Bend presents a good reason for suicide...coming from someone in Indianapolis.

Never would I want to go to that ****hole again for anything. :D

Fraggle145
11/9/2008, 10:24 PM
You think you can out-hate me when it comes to Notre Dame? I don't like the movie Rudy BECAUSE it's about a Notre Dame player. I've seen it once and that was enough. I avoid seeing it because I hate Notre Dame.

But you love Notre Dame so much you get emotional about their kickers. Ghey.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

he wasnt a kicker tho... :D

AzianSooner
11/9/2008, 10:52 PM
Why you all hate catholics?

guzziguy
11/9/2008, 10:57 PM
Why you all hate catholics?

Mackerel munchers ;) :D

mdklatt
11/9/2008, 11:10 PM
Don't like them now and haven't since they beat us and stopped our 47 winning streak.

This is aggy.

hgarmorer
11/9/2008, 11:13 PM
No planes flying around advertising tittay bars and bailbondsmen.

That's my kind of night, esp when the need for both of those arise.

JohnnyMack
11/9/2008, 11:15 PM
Some of you people need to be hit with a hammer.

TopDawg
11/10/2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

he wasnt a kicker tho... :D

Heh. See what I mean. I've only seen it once.

Did you know Merv Johnson was a coach at Notre Dame during Rudy's tenure? Rudy babysat Merv's kids.

A-M
11/10/2008, 02:57 PM
Uhh , that first letter is a G. As in Go-Fast. Chose it because of my liking of a rather unique brand of Italian motorcycles, Moto Guzzi. I'm glad you like the signature. It truly comes from the heart. Sooner fan all the way back t the 50's. Grandpa to boot. Already married for 35+ years to a great lady who was my high school sweetheart.

Another good one already taken! Congrats on the 35 years of marriage and heres hoping that you stay with her forever. 35 years is a long time and I'm not so sure that I could have done that myself. Sorry about the miss-spelling of you sig. I was just so excited to find someone else who felt like I do that I wasn't paying close attention to things. I ride a Honda and have not heard of Moto Guzzi, but I do believe that there is one. I'm not into history and things like that about motorcycles, only about riding them. I put about 800 miles a month on my bike and I ride the year round.

guzziguy
11/11/2008, 03:41 PM
I ride a Honda and have not heard of Moto Guzzi, but I do believe that there is one.

There are at least 2. Here's a pic of my bike on the right and a friend's Guzzi ride on the left. We were in the parking lot of Greasy School over by Stillwell, OK

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff153/Shutter10000/NE%20Oklahoma%20Ride/IMG_0376.jpg

fadada1
11/11/2008, 03:56 PM
they are the anti-christ of college football (i know, ironic isn't it).

they are everything that is wrong with the college football media.

when they lose, it makes a rainy day seem like a warm, sunny day in july.

they taste worse than cauliflower and scrapple.

notre dame is why puppies die.

A-M
11/12/2008, 02:47 PM
There are at least 2. Here's a pic of my bike on the right and a friend's Guzzi ride on the left. We were in the parking lot of Greasy School over by Stillwell, OK

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff153/Shutter10000/NE%20Oklahoma%20Ride/IMG_0376.jpg

Nice looking bikes, but where is your OU flag, liscense plate and logo's? Just got back from the bike shop cause I had to get a new front bike. My bike is only 4 years old and I've got just over 45,300 and this is only my 3rd. front tire. However, can't say the same for the back tire. Everyone talks about how much money I save on gas, but they don't realize that my insurance is much higher then my car insurance and a rear tire will cost $200.00 to have put on and they only last from about 8,000 to 9,000 miles. So if you add it all up, I really don't save any money by riding a bike. But, I wouldn't give it up for nothing. I have a small trailer that I pull and I even take it when I need to go shopping. I ride the year around and only ice, sleet and snow keep me from riding. When I lived in KS I rode even when it was 8 or 9 degrees outside in the winter. By the way, the next time your wife gives you a hard time about something, you just tell her that she had better watch it 'cause you have a standing proposal for marriage from another bike rider. (ha, ha) That should keep her in line.

soonermix
11/12/2008, 02:58 PM
the only way i could hate notre dame more is if they wore burnt orange and had a pic of a cow on their helmets

guzziguy
11/12/2008, 03:48 PM
By the way, the next time your wife gives you a hard time about something, you just tell her that she had better watch it 'cause you have a standing proposal for marriage from another bike rider. (ha, ha) That should keep her in line.

That's hilarious. I'll tell her. Now, if you really want to be irresistible, join the Oklahoma chapter of the Patriot guard. Another rider is always welcome. I'm Owassojoe on those sites.

http://www.pgrok.org/ State page

http://www.patriotguard.org/ National page

If you choose to read some of the letters, especially on the national page, be sure you have a box of tissues handy. There's a very good reason that Patriot Guard riders always wear dark glasses.

A-M
11/12/2008, 04:06 PM
That's hilarious. I'll tell her. Now, if you really want to be irresistible, join the Oklahoma chapter of the Patriot guard. Another rider is always welcome. I'm Owassojoe on those sites.

http://www.pgrok.org/ State page

http://www.patriotguard.org/ National page

If you choose to read some of the letters, especially on the national page, be sure you have a box of tissues handy. There's a very good reason that Patriot Guard riders always wear dark glasses.

As tempting as it is, I will have to pass on joining the Patriot guard as I am a pacifist and don't think I can reconcile the two things in my mind or heart. However, I do feel that what you do is GREAT. No one should have to bury a loved one while some idiot is outside picketing like that stupid guy from Kansas. I have seen his church (family) members with their signs and I do not agree with anything they stand for and say. I am a peace person but hold no hard feelings against those who do not believe as I do and are in the military. Thanks for helping the loved ones of those who died in the war! I'll just have to find some other means of becoming irresistible! :P

JohnnyMack
11/12/2008, 04:09 PM
:les:START YOUR OWN THREAD YOU WEINERS!!!!!

guzziguy
11/12/2008, 04:12 PM
I am a peace person but hold no hard feelings against those who do not believe as I do and are in the military. Thanks for helping the loved ones of those who died in the war! I'll just have to find some other means of becoming irresistible! :P

No problem. There is a famous Orwell quote that may be applicable:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

I do it because I do appreciate that good night's sleep.

A-M
11/12/2008, 04:16 PM
:les:START YOUR OWN THREAD YOU WEINERS!!!!!

Don't have a cow now. Just relax and enjoy things and remember this is a bye week.:cool:

A-M
11/12/2008, 04:20 PM
No problem. There is a famous Orwell quote that may be applicable:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

I do it because I do appreciate that good night's sleep.

Well thanks for doing it! I'm not sure what the world would be like if all people felt as I do and I don't think that we will have the opportunity to find out. Besides, I doubt that I could make it at one of those funerals as the tears would flow way too much and the protesters would really test my facifist ideas. Better I stay away from them.

JLEW1818
11/12/2008, 04:24 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/gutpr5.jpg

guzziguy
11/12/2008, 09:15 PM
Well thanks for doing it! I'm not sure what the world would be like if all people felt as I do and I don't think that we will have the opportunity to find out. Besides, I doubt that I could make it at one of those funerals as the tears would flow way too much and the protesters would really test my facifist ideas. Better I stay away from them.

The world would be just fine if ALL people had your same feelings. Unfortunately, they don't.

8timechamps
11/12/2008, 09:37 PM
Here's the thing about ND, they are a big part of what's good about college football.

I can't stand them as much as the next guy, but they have tradition and deep roots in the sport we all love so much.

Kinda like Penn State's plain uniforms, the Big House and the Army/Navy game. It's the cornerstone of college football.

Just like MLB wouldn't be the same without the Yankees, CFB wouldn't be the same without ND.

I was in New Jersey shortly after we won the title in 2000, and a guy I was with (who hates the Sooners) said "even though I hate OU, the fact that they are back means that the world of CFB is right again". At first it doesn't make sense, but when you think about it, it does.

Love 'em or hate 'em, ND is a major part of CFB.

A-M
11/13/2008, 12:27 PM
The world would be just fine if ALL people had your same feelings. Unfortunately, they don't.

Just don't forget, I am madly in love with you and am waiting for you wife to trip up and let you go. Just think that a beautiful 25 year old blond is yours if would would decide to have her, and that won't be me since I am not 25 or blond. At my age, 63, beautiful is what you are if you are active and alive and not butt ugly, I qualify for that and only that. Been a sooner for as long as I can remember and sure do hope that we can pull it out for the next 4 games. All I want is for us to win out and win by at least 50 points each game. Now is that wanting too much? I think not, when your a sooner!

BOOMER SOONER

Jason White's Third Knee
11/13/2008, 12:43 PM
I've been to ND in the fall. Fall sucks up here. Winter lasts forever. I need to move south.

47Wins
11/13/2008, 07:11 PM
I was a fan when nd ended the streak. I have never waivered in my total hatred for all things related to that program, I will never waiver in my total hatred. I don't like other schools that start with the letter "N". I almost didn't vote for Reagan because he played the "gipper". The last 10 years of nd football have been like a glimpse of how I expect heaven to be, who needs 17 virgins anyway?

-I wonder what was going through Custer's mind when he realized that he'd led his men into a slaughter? - Lt. Col. Hal Moore, ....Sir, Custer was a p***y, You ain't. - Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley --RVN, 1965-

guzziguy
11/14/2008, 12:26 AM
Just don't forget, I am madly in love with you and am waiting for you wife to trip up and let you go. Just think that a beautiful 25 year old blond is yours if would would decide to have her, and that won't be me since I am not 25 or blond. At my age, 63, beautiful is what you are if you are active and alive and not butt ugly, I qualify for that and only that. Been a sooner for as long as I can remember and sure do hope that we can pull it out for the next 4 games. All I want is for us to win out and win by at least 50 points each game. Now is that wanting too much? I think not, when your a sooner!

BOOMER SOONER

You are a hoot! I couldn't agree more with your evaluation of the way this season should wrap up. 25 year-old blonds may be fun to watch, but they're a bit like freshman kickers. They are fun to have around but are more than capable of breaking your heart and you really don't want to have to depend on one. I'm perfectly happy with what I have and not looking for a change.

It's nice to know that my dislike for ND and USC are shared by others. Boomer & ride safe.

A-M
11/14/2008, 11:00 AM
You are a hoot! I couldn't agree more with your evaluation of the way this season should wrap up. 25 year-old blonds may be fun to watch, but they're a bit like freshman kickers. They are fun to have around but are more than capable of breaking your heart and you really don't want to have to depend on one. I'm perfectly happy with what I have and not looking for a change.

It's nice to know that my dislike for ND and USC are shared by others. Boomer & ride safe.

When spring comes, you and your wife of course, will have to take a bike ride and I will take a bike ride and we can meet someplace between our homes for lunch and a visit. I'll just bet your wife (by the way, what is her name) is a great gal and I would enjoy meeting both of you. Tell her "hi" for me and that I said to keep her whip handy to keep you in line. My ex-husband is from Owasso but I have not been there in many, many years. The last time I was there, it was a small town, but I will bet it is no longer small. Tomorrow is going to be a sad day since I won't be able to watch my team play ball, but I am glad they have a week off to heal and rest their body for TT. I know my old body would not last long if I was out taking all those hits they take each week. Sometimes I hurt just watching the games cause they really do hit hard and they do it again and again and again all during the game. I don't think I could take it even when I was a young gal, much less now that I am a little older and not in what I would say as being in good shape. Later ;)

A-M
11/14/2008, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=47Wins;2485631]I was a fan when nd ended the streak. I have never waivered in my total hatred for all things related to that program, I will never waiver in my total hatred. I don't like other schools that start with the letter "N". I almost didn't vote for Reagan because he played the "gipper". The last 10 years of nd football have been like a glimpse of how I expect heaven to be, who needs 17 virgins anyway?

UOTE]

AMEN, BROTHER! I watched that game as a pre-teen and I will never forget how bad I felt when we lost. I cried and just knew that the end of my world had come with that loss. ND should not ever win a game for the rest of the life of the world.:D

boomermagic
11/14/2008, 11:09 AM

Agreed !