PDA

View Full Version : Looking over the TV listings for Sat, Musings on the Versus Network/PPV/Big 12

aurorasooner
11/7/2008, 09:06 PM
Although I could care less, that Versus Network is a strange one. I guess Versus either pays so little for their 4th or 5th choice rights to broadcast Big 12 games that either UNL & KU decided that they could make more money off PPV for the Nebraska/Kansas game or perhaps PPV (Gameplan or whichever PPV network is broadcasting it PPV) gave Versus a kickback not to broadcast it, because it makes no sense to choose ISU vs CU over KU vs Nebraska.
CU is 1-4 in the Big 12 (4-5 overall) and ISU is 0-5 in the Big 12 (2-7) overall. Kansas and Nebraska are both still in the Big 12 north championship race and ISU is out with 5 losses and CU chances are virtually nil with 4 conference losses. More than likely nobody in the Big 12 region will be watching this game anyway and they'll be watching UT/Baylor which will lead right in to OU/aTm, but still it's a strange choice for Versus not to broadcast the KU/NU game in favor of a meaningless ISU vs CU game. I dunno, perhaps it's a deal where each Big 12 school has to be on TV a minimum of so many times so the Big 12 conference threw ISU and CU a bone, but you'd think an ISU/CU TV game would dilute Folsom Prison attendance even more for this meaningless game. There's also a strange situation with the ABC Sat Afternoon games where Penn State/Iowa and Clemson/FSU are being reverse mirrored in the non-regional ABC (Coverage map is over at ESPN), but OU/aTm is not being reverse-mirrored on ESPN in either of 2 non-coverage areas. I'm guessing it's because OU/aTm/NU and perhaps KU fans are more likely to pony up for PPV than any of these other team's fans. I just hate to see a network's choosing of games being based on not-the-best possible game but on broadcasting a worse game for a PPV-Kickback type stipend (or the Big 12 collects little extra money because if Versus chose the KU/NU game absolutely nobody would buy and ISU/CU PPV ticket). Who knows though, ISU/CU may be a triple-OT thriller, and KU may blow out NU like we did, but the Versus choice is still strange as h*&&.

okiewaker
11/7/2008, 09:34 PM
Strange, but 2:30pm on ABC it all gets ironed out. At least where I am.

Soonerfan88
11/8/2008, 12:12 AM
Nebraska readily admits they make more money from PPV than FSN or Versus. I think this is their 4th PPV game this year - not sure but it's at least the 3rd). Question is now becoming, how many games before their fans quit paying? Nothing else to do in Neb so probably never.

aurorasooner
11/8/2008, 12:58 AM
Nebraska readily admits they make more money from PPV than FSN or Versus. It'd be interesting "what" Versus/Fox/ESPN/ABC regional-- pay for a Big 12 conference game and if there's a standardized pay scale or if not, how the sliding pay scale is based, (poll ratings of the 2 teams, advertiser rating-- ~# of homes/sets watching, etc), and if a Big 12 university can actually refuse to have one of their home games broadcast by a Big 12 contract network (like the Versus PU of the CU/ISU game instead of the KU/NU game appears to be).
That national ESPN broadcast last week was a quality broadcast (not meaning the HD or the over-the-field-camera) but just the normal camera angles, replays, commentary, total production, etc. The over-the-field-camera is a nice touch but not necessary if a network has it together with the other cameras, and probably out of the price range for a Fox or ABC regional production.
It's interesting that Nebraska could make more money off PPV than a Fox broadcast, but I'm not surprised they pay on the cheap, considering they fork out most of their $$$ to the NFL. Even Fox's "classic games" from just 2 or 3 years ago on Fox Sport's Central/Pacific/Atlantic look like they were archived on VHS-EP. However, no matter how good/bad the quality of an ABC regional B'cast is, they still don't have a plan on what to do when they "go to a more competitive game" (ESPN News is an option they should explore to keep a game broadcast alive), and I'd rather have our games on ESPN-Nat'l or Fox Nat'l B'cast because at least you don't just get 1/2 a game.

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 01:17 AM
I dunno, perhaps it's a deal where each Big 12 school has to be on TV a minimum of so many times so the Big 12 conference threw ISU and CU a bone

that's my understanding according to my Buff fan buddies. Big XII kills two TV birds with one stone putting CU-ISU on TV, so to speak.

jmikeh
11/8/2008, 11:03 AM
At least it's another option than PPV. Thanks Versus. I like ya.

1890MilesToNorman
11/8/2008, 11:09 AM
I ain't going to pony up for Gameplan this week, ESPN360 for me. I'm tired of paying these guys to buy the better games that they should be covering for free. That's what advertisers are for.

stoopified
11/8/2008, 11:38 AM
that's my understanding according to my Buff fan buddies. Big XII kills two TV birds with one stone putting CU-ISU on TV, so to speak.That was my thinking too.