PDA

View Full Version : A Blast From the Big 8 Past

Sooner04
11/7/2008, 04:14 PM
Anybody know the backstory behind this guy (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27812&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1148276&Q_SEASON=2008)?

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Bill McCartney's daughter had a child with the Sal Aunese, the QB for the Buffalos back in the late '80s. Bill raised or helped raise the kid who is now at LSU. Bill was the coach of CU during their glory days when they played ND 2 years in a row for the MNC (pre-BCS). The year they won had the famous 5th down play against Mizzou.

boomermagic
11/7/2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, Bill McCartney's daughter had a child with the Sal Aunese, the QB for the Buffalos back in the late '80s. Bill raised or helped raise the kid who is now at LSU. Bill was the coach of CU during their glory days when they played ND 2 years in a row for the MNC (pre-BCS). The year they won had the famous 5th down play against Mizzou.

I remember that..

Sooner04
11/7/2008, 04:35 PM
I should've eliminated anyone from the contest who's currently living in Boulder.

Sabanball
11/7/2008, 04:38 PM
Didn't Sal Aunese pass away from stomach cancer? I just remember he was very young and how tragic it was.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2008, 04:40 PM
I should have excused myself :O

I wasn't a big Bill McCartney fan because he used his public position as coach to push his religious agenda - I ride my bike by his church a couple of times a week. But I admired him for taking in his daughters' child which no doubt put him in a tough situation. She had a second child by a another player as I remember and he gave that as part of his reason for retiring (I've neglected my family). He was a very good coach.

King Crimson
11/7/2008, 04:41 PM
Les Miles was a McCartney assistant at CU for a short time. both of them being "Michigan Men" and all. the younger Aunese walked on at LSU originally, if i remember correctly. wasn't highly recruited according to Buff sites I sometimes read.

Sal Aunese did die of cancer in 89 or 90. He was the first of McCartney's "real" option QB's.

bri
11/7/2008, 04:43 PM
She had a second child by a another player as I remember and he gave that as part of his reason for retiring (I've neglected my family). He was a very good coach.

And she was a hell of a recruiter. :D

cvsooner
11/7/2008, 05:11 PM
I always thought if McCartney was a truly honorable coach, he'd have forfeited the game after his team was mistakenly awarded the extra down.

The Maestro
11/7/2008, 05:23 PM
McCartney had folks that could recruit Texas and California. That is how they ended up with Kanavis McGhee, Alfred Williams and Erin Bienemy.

That team in 1989 was so freaking good. OU played their asses off and lost 20-3. Darian Hagan was the QB and wanted to be a Sooner so bad. But at that time OU had Jamelle and CT. So no offer made. Then, by the time he was at CU, CT was in jail and Jamelle was hobbling around.

Hagan and R.W. McQuarters were two BIG misses by OU in the 80's/90's of players that wanted to be at OU. Oh, and of course, that Barry Sanders guy.

The Maestro
11/7/2008, 05:25 PM
Funny thing about McCartney...he got out of coaching and got into Promise Keepers. Seems like he should have been spending time giving his daughter a few hugs so players on his team wouldn't be the one's providing her comfort!

King Crimson
11/7/2008, 05:31 PM
I always thought if McCartney was a truly honorable coach, he'd have forfeited the game after his team was mistakenly awarded the extra down.

listen, i've heard this a thousand times on local (Denver) radio....and McCartney and the QB both claim they had no idea what was going on. CU spikes the ball on what they thought was 3rd down (but 4th, technically). not saying it's right or they are telling the truth....but if you think it's 4th down, no one spikes the ball to stop the clock.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2008, 05:39 PM
Funny thing about McCartney...he got out of coaching and got into Promise Keepers. Seems like he should have been spending time giving his daughter a few hugs so players on his team wouldn't be the one's providing her comfort!

Believe me, he was going full bore with the promise keepers while he was coaching and that's why he wasn't my favorite cartoon character. Once his daughter got pregnant, all the dime store psychologist assumed it was out of rebellion over his holier-than-thou religious obsession. But who knows what really goes on in a family.

DarrellZero
11/7/2008, 07:07 PM

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I believe that there's no way that a coach could actually do this without the boosters raising the mother of all hellstorms.

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2008, 07:30 PM
Damn, it's hard to believe his kid is that old; i remember seeing him play at Norman in 87, then he was dead a couple of years later

Salt City Sooner
11/7/2008, 09:52 PM
Time can fly. I almost had to pick my jaw up off of the ground when I saw Dean Steinkuhler's kid playing against us last Saturday. Doesn't seem like it's been that long since the old man was bulldozing opposing DL's in the Big 8. He, along with Rimington & Traynowicz were 3 of my favorite non-OU players to watch.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2008, 09:55 PM

forfeiting games is not up to the coach

Flagstaffsooner
11/7/2008, 10:23 PM
As I remember, McCartney had the whole team tested to see who the father was. His daughter liked to entertain the troops.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2008, 10:30 PM
she was filling the missionary position for promisekeepers

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/7/2008, 11:03 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2007/0728/20070728__20070729_B16_SP29FBCMCCARTNEY~p1.JPG

Sooner04
11/8/2008, 12:07 AM
listen, i've heard this a thousand times on local (Denver) radio....and McCartney and the QB both claim they had no idea what was going on. CU spikes the ball on what they thought was 3rd down (but 4th, technically). not saying it's right or they are telling the truth....but if you think it's 4th down, no one spikes the ball to stop the clock.
It took five downs, and I still don't think Charles Johnson got in on the QB keeper to win it.

TopDawg
11/8/2008, 12:19 AM
not saying it's right or they are telling the truth....but if you think it's 4th down, no one spikes the ball to stop the clock.

And no QB runs out of bounds on the two on 4th and goal with time running out in the game.

Sooner04
11/8/2008, 12:24 AM
And no QB runs out of bounds on the two on 4th and goal with time running out in the game.
There's only one..............Eric Moore.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2008, 12:26 AM
I dont know that I have ever had a "WTF did he just do" moment like I did when Moore did that

TopDawg
11/8/2008, 12:26 AM
I dont know that I have ever had a "WTF did he just do" moment like I did when Moore did that

You and the other 34,000 fans still in attendance.

Mjcpr
11/8/2008, 12:27 AM
You and the other 34,000 fans still in attendance.

This occurred at a packed Boone Stadium?

:confused:

batonrougesooner
11/8/2008, 12:40 AM

What he said.

Stomach cancer in such a young guy is such a tragedy.

I guess Bill's daughter liked to put out to the football team however. Great recruiting tool.

P.S. This makes me feel old.

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 01:08 AM
There's only one..............Eric Moore.

i was always a big fan of the "how to turn 2nd and 2 into 3rd and 27 play" EMo used to run by scrambling around in the backfield. sometimes combined with a fumble.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2008, 01:13 AM
or screen passes that consistenty sailed out of bounds

batonrougesooner
11/8/2008, 01:34 AM
i was always a big fan of the "how to turn 2nd and 2 into 3rd and 27 play" EMo used to run by scrambling around in the backfield. sometimes combined with a fumble.

This makes me feel old too.

Love me some Eric Moore.

Really love me some Bob Stoops.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 02:47 AM
1. There was nothing wrong with Bill McCartney expressing his religious opinions and taking part in the Promise Keepers while coaching. Are we really asking coaches to dismiss their faith? He has the right to express his opinions just as much as the next guy.

2. I think it is unfair to judge a man by the actions of his kids without knowing more about the family, which is none of our business. So his daughter was a whore. I doubt that was because anything that he did or didn't do.

3. The refs are to blame for the fifth down, not McCartney.

4. I hate Colorado. But let's be fair.

TopDawg
11/8/2008, 03:01 AM
I don't think it's fair to hate Colorado.

okienole3
11/8/2008, 09:17 AM
E Mo., good stuff.

St. Sal, even better stuff.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 10:03 AM
I had no problem with McCartney's faith or any activities he chose around them. My only issue as pushing that faith on the public dime of which I was helping to pay with my taxes. If CU was a private school, I would have said more power to him. He didn't blatantly cross that line as a politician would, but he often straddled it and pushed the limits in gray areas. Promise keepers had a positive message on the surface, but was a little fringe and cult-like under the covers and that made more middle of the road christians nervous. So I wasn't the only one concerned, but again, it was just the separation of church and state angle that bothered me.

Okay, the fact that CU was doing pretty well against OU during his tenure may have tainted my view;)

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2008, 10:12 AM
What does this have to do with taint?

stoopified
11/8/2008, 10:14 AM
MAN, i'M GETTING OLD.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2008, 10:24 AM
You're getting old? I remember this stuff like it was yesterday. And I can't remember yesterday.

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 10:31 AM
Okay, the fact that CU was doing pretty well against OU during his tenure may have tainted my view;)

he never beat Switzer, though.

it was pure hell living in Colorado 89-until we beat them in 02.

they actually thought it meant something to "dominate" us over that period.

Sooner04
11/8/2008, 07:33 PM
or screen passes that consistenty sailed out of bounds
Or throw a five-yard slant so hard that it had a better chance of being completed to the guy running the 15-yard out.

bri
11/8/2008, 07:58 PM
he never beat Switzer, though.

it was pure hell living in Colorado 89-until we beat them in 02.

they actually thought it meant something to "dominate" us over that period.

Yeah, you ever notice how Colorado's and K-State's "rise to power" seemed to eerily coincide with OU's probation-fueled descent into mediocrity and then full-on sucking? And likewise, now that we're back to elite status, they have retreated back to their traditional location in Sh*ttysville, population them?

soonervegas
11/8/2008, 08:07 PM
Who is the 3rd guy in that pic? The lucky current husband? (Sarcasm intended)

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/9/2008, 02:01 AM
Who is the 3rd guy in that pic? The lucky current husband? (Sarcasm intended)

Bill McCartney's brother, Tom. I think he was actually the kid's HS coach.

FlaBuff
11/9/2008, 07:11 AM
As I remember, McCartney had the whole team tested to see who the father was. His daughter liked to entertain the troops.

Flag--I was on that team and you are wrong with both of your premises.

FlaBuff
11/9/2008, 07:14 AM
You're getting old? I remember this stuff like it was yesterday. And I can't remember yesterday.

79--do you still ride around in your sooner jersey? I remember seeing you when I was in school in those "yesterdays"

the_ouskull
11/9/2008, 10:37 AM
Anybody know the backstory behind this guy (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27812&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1148276&Q_SEASON=2008)?

As a young child, he was beaten to within an inch of his life with an ugly stick...?

the_ouskull

King Crimson
11/9/2008, 11:08 AM
Bill McCartney's brother, Tom. I think he was actually the kid's HS coach.

Yup. Tom McCartney is the coach at Boulder's Fairview HS. They are usually pretty good. It's kind of the preppy, rich kid high school to the more hippy, geeky kid Boulder High. Fairview is usually pretty good and have a couple D-1 players each year.

Sooner04
10/19/2009, 01:44 PM
Pretty good story done by the E:60 team of ESPN on the whole situation.

Full Circle (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090925/aunese)

Hard to believe it's been 20 years. I've seen film, Aunese wasn't THAT good. I mean, he was good, but Darian Hagan.........SHEESH!

jboOs9HVBDA

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2009, 01:56 PM
Pretty good story done by the E:60 team of ESPN on the whole situation.

They were purely friends, but because they lived on the same floor and ate in the same dining hall, they kept bumping into each other,

YEAH THEY DID

boomermagic
10/19/2009, 02:01 PM
McCartney had folks that could recruit Texas and California. That is how they ended up with Kanavis McGhee, Alfred Williams and Erin Bienemy.

That team in 1989 was so freaking good. OU played their asses off and lost 20-3. Darian Hagan was the QB and wanted to be a Sooner so bad. But at that time OU had Jamelle and CT. So no offer made. Then, by the time he was at CU, CT was in jail and Jamelle was hobbling around.

Hagan and R.W. McQuarters were two BIG misses by OU in the 80's/90's of players that wanted to be at OU. Oh, and of course, that Barry Sanders guy.

Yeah and another big miss by OU back then was Eric Dickerson.. Look at the ones ole Barry got though.. Wow... He was the best... As I remember McCartney was at Alabame an assistant under the bear I think at one time..

badger
10/19/2009, 02:03 PM
It's a good story to re-post, even if we've all heard it before. The coach was in a very difficult situation with his daughter's relationships with his players... then to have his quarterback die and his daughter be the mother of this deceased QB's son... wow.

The Lester connection aside, because Lester is still a loser no matter how many of Nick Satan's players can bring him a phony title, this is a good story.

EDIT: I just spotted this (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090925/aunese) story on ESPN (sorry in advance if it's already been posted) where Gary Barnett lamented on T.C. going to LSU:

His dream was to play at CU, where Barnett was the head coach and was planning to bring T.C. in. But Barnett was let go after the '05 season, and T.C. spent much of his senior year of 2006 in limbo. CU's new coach, Dan Hawkins, had brought in his own son, Cody, to play quarterback, so T.C. needed to look somewhere else.

"That really bothered me," Barnett says. "If I would've stayed, then T.C. would've come to Colorado. That broke my heart as much as anything. He needed to go play where his dad played. And it couldn't happen."

Congrats, Gary, you ruined everything again. :rolleyes:

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah, you ever notice how Colorado's and K-State's "rise to power" seemed to eerily coincide with OU's probation-fueled descent into mediocrity and then full-on sucking? And likewise, now that we're back to elite status, they have retreated back to their traditional location in Sh*ttysville, population them?
And OU's remergence was then end of Texas A&M's short stay near the top of the conference.

TopDawg
10/19/2009, 03:37 PM
jboOs9HVBDA

Always maintain the pitch relationship.

SoonerDood
10/19/2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah and another big miss by OU back then was Eric Dickerson.. Look at the ones ole Barry got though.. Wow... He was the best... As I remember McCartney was at Alabame an assistant under the bear I think at one time..

I believe there's a few (hundred) thousand reason$ why ED didn't choose OU.:texan:

badger
10/19/2009, 03:49 PM
And OU's remergence was then end of Texas A&M's short stay near the top of the conference.

I think a realistic aggie (hard to find, heh) posted on their board that A&M is about .500 this decade, yet their fanbase demands the same results that Texas and OU get year-in, year-out. He reasoned that the fans needed to be realistic and not be so hard on the team when in fact they haven't had the results fans expect in about 50 years, the last time A&M finishing the top 5 and the last time they won the Heisman trophy.

I think he got called a "bad aggie" shortly thereafter :D

bri
10/19/2009, 05:33 PM
Always maintain the pitch relationship.

Amen.