PDA

View Full Version : hire gary gibbs as DC...

PDXsooner
11/6/2008, 07:36 PM
i'll be the first to start campaigning for GG as DC...

Sooner1979
11/6/2008, 07:54 PM
i'll be the first to start campaigning for GG as DC...

I will second that notion...

auto
11/6/2008, 08:48 PM
oh yeah

Jdog
11/6/2008, 08:57 PM
Yup

okienole3
11/6/2008, 09:06 PM
I have a feeling Gary is very happy in the NFL.

sooneron
11/6/2008, 09:13 PM
I have a feeling Gary is very happy in the NFL.

and out of Norman.

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 09:13 PM
You Pepole are Dreaming
No Former Coach Is gonna Be back here .

TUSooner
11/6/2008, 09:18 PM
I kinda hope the Saints keep him. We're finally getting a few decent players, and the defense might actually start shaping up for him.
But the old moonshiner is right; he'll never come back.

Rogue
11/6/2008, 09:30 PM
Twas a cruel exit for GG.
I was in school then and it was brutal.

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 10:12 PM
He was a Great coach . Just got caught in the Following a Legend Trap .
It was a trying time to Be a Sooner .

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2008, 10:19 PM
I will NEVER forget that plane circling the stadium when we played KSU in '94. The fact that the dillweed that hired it was also known as one made that the only time I was ever ashamed to be known as a Sooner fan, & that includes the Blake years. If he was ever aproached, I wouldn't blame Gibbs one bit if he told whoever was asking how far he could shove it.

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 10:23 PM
I missed that . what happened ?

PLaw
11/6/2008, 10:36 PM
He was a Great coach . Just got caught in the Following a Legend Trap .
It was a trying time to Be a Sooner .

HE IS A GREAT SOONER, period. Player, coach, DC, HC.

He inherited a program that was hanging by a thread and in danger of getting nailed with the ncaa death penalty. He kept it together, kept the program alive, and delivered a winning record.

BOOMER

Lott's Bandana
11/7/2008, 12:13 AM
I saw him about a year ago in the summer, eating lunch at Jason's Deli with his wife, in Norman. Nobody else seemed to recognize him.

tommieharris91
11/7/2008, 12:19 AM
Come on guys, Venables is a good DC. He shouldn't be fired.

yermom
11/7/2008, 12:57 AM
i'm guessing the assumption is that he'd be taking a job like Clemson or K-State

Salt City Sooner
11/7/2008, 01:03 AM
I missed that . what happened ?
There's a small plane that periodically circles the stadium with a message banner attached to it's tail. Well, during that game, some jackhole hired the pilot to fly over with the message "Hey Gibbs, Delta is ready when you are!" This is a guy who, at the time, had given over half of his life busting his hump as a player & coach to the program, & was being run out of town on the first rail that the fanbase could get their hands on. Made me hang my head in shame to be even semi-considered to be a part of that, even if it was just by association.

I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change, because IMO, there's very little doubt that it was time. By the time the Copper Bowl had rolled around, they'd (the team) quit, period. Just saying that there's a good chunk of folks who could've handled it a whole lot better than they did.

mobilesteve
11/7/2008, 10:21 AM
There's a small plane that periodically circles the stadium with a message banner attached to it's tail. Well, during that game, some jackhole hired the pilot to fly over with the message "Hey Gibbs, Delta is ready when you are!" This is a guy who, at the time, had given over half of his life busting his hump as a player & coach to the program, & was being run out of town on the first rail that the fanbase could get their hands on. Made me hang my head in shame to be even semi-considered to be a part of that, even if it was just by association.

I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change, because IMO, there's very little doubt that it was time. By the time the Copper Bowl had rolled around, they'd (the team) quit, period. Just saying that there's a good chunk of folks who could've handled it a whole lot better than they did.

Kind of reminds you of people on the internet screaming about a DC for the #6 team in the country.

WestAustinSooner
11/7/2008, 11:01 AM
Gibbs was a great defensive coordinator and excellent players coach. Bosworth, in his book, "The Boz," advocated him to be the next head coach at OU.

His offensive coordinators absolutely stunk, and his inability to improve that situation was inexcusable. The 4 straight Texas losses from 1989-1992 (in which OU were all favored) were squarely on his shoulders. I remember watching the fullback dive 10-15 times per game.

All that said, he would be a great DC at OU, but he'd never come back, and I don't blame him.

stoopified
11/7/2008, 11:10 AM
Apparently none of you remember that Gary Gibbs defenses were powerless against passing teams-0-3 vs.Miami,lost to a mdiocre (6-5)Stanford team,Jeff Hostetler and WV.I say let Bob run his own staff.

starrca23
11/7/2008, 11:15 AM
At least someone is finally giving a reasonable alternative to BV and not saying, "I played jv linebacker...and I could coach better than him!"

GG was a great Sooner, not every one could be Bud, Barry or Bob...

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/7/2008, 01:29 PM
Gibbs was a great defensive coordinator and excellent players coach. Bosworth, in his book, "The Boz," advocated him to be the next head coach at OU.

His offensive coordinators absolutely stunk, and his inability to improve that situation was inexcusable. The 4 straight Texas losses from 1989-1992 (in which OU were all favored) were squarely on his shoulders. I remember watching the fullback dive 10-15 times per game.

All that said, he would be a great DC at OU, but he'd never come back, and I don't blame him.

Yeah, David McWilliams goes 4-0 against the Sooners! Simply brutal!!!!!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/7/2008, 01:33 PM
At least someone is finally giving a reasonable alternative to BV and not saying, "I played jv linebacker...and I could coach better than him!"

GG was a great Sooner, not every one could be Bud, Barry or Bob...

Anybody ever see the clip of Gibbs playing against Earl Campbell and getting absolutely piledriven on a run? I bet that hurt. And I know this, I would have ducked. Gibbs filled the hole, but man, what a hit.

Sooner04
11/7/2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, David McWilliams goes 4-0 against the Sooners! Simply brutal!!!!!
Peter Gardere went 4-0 against us. We hammered McWilliams's first two UT teams in '87 and '88.
Gibbs was a great DC, but he abandoned the 'bone and played not to lose against Texas. He beat UT, Nebraska and Colorado twice overall in six seasons. He never got over those facts.

soonerlaw
11/7/2008, 03:21 PM
I remember being at a game once and seeing the plane flying over with a Sugars banner... not quite the GGibbs banner, but a little embarrassing none the less.

The Maestro
11/7/2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I doubt the old 5-2 is gonna work anymore in the Big 12!

CU Sooner
11/7/2008, 03:57 PM
Peter Gardere went 4-0 against us. We hammered McWilliams's first two UT teams in '87 and '88.
Gibbs was a great DC, but he abandoned the 'bone and played not to lose against Texas. He beat UT, Nebraska and Colorado twice overall in six seasons. He never got over those facts.

Leave CU out of it. A W against them never happened after Barry until Bob. Gibbs is another example of a good coordinator who was not a HC.

RacerX
11/7/2008, 08:32 PM
gibbs = player walkout.

Don't need him.

Scott D
11/7/2008, 08:50 PM
I saw him about a year ago in the summer, eating lunch at Jason's Deli with his wife, in Norman. Nobody else seemed to recognize him.

to be honest, I didn't recognize him on campus when he was the head coach. I almost ran over him leaving the theater on campus after watching a play.

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 10:48 AM
Apparently none of you remember that Gary Gibbs defenses were powerless against passing teams-0-3 vs.Miami,lost to a mdiocre (6-5)Stanford team,Jeff Hostetler and WV.I say let Bob run his own staff.

You need to send the New Orleans Saints a letter stating that, based on your knowledge of football, they made the wrong hire. You can also send your letter to the University of Georgia and LSU. After all, what do they know about football?

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 10:54 AM
back to the past is always a mistake.

show me one time where the nostalgia hire works.