PDA

View Full Version : Palin: "Africa is a continent?"

tommieharris91
11/6/2008, 07:33 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/Story?id=6196407&page=1

I know some of you here have called here intelligent. Care to keep doing it?

And, uhh, before you say "IT'S THE MSM'S SLANDERING PALIN!!1!!" note the source of that report.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 07:35 PM

And, uhh, before you say "IT'S THE MSM'S SLANDERING PALIN!!1!!" note the source of that report.

Bill O' said that was nothing a map couldn't fix :D

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 07:37 PM

:facepalm:

Actually, I think what that is is McCain advisors dumping on her as an excuse. My opinion of her is pretty low, but I don't think she's quite that dumb.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 07:41 PM
:facepalm:

Actually, I think what that is is McCain advisors dumping on her as an excuse. My opinion of her is pretty low, but I don't think she's quite that dumb.

I kind of agree with you. I don't think she is that dumb, but I tend to believe that she is that disinterested in global affairs.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 07:42 PM
Expect to see a LOT of nasty stuff come out re: McCain and Palin. What I'm hearing is that their respective camps are blaming each other and that the candidates themselves didn't really like each other that much.

Anyhow, the McCain staffers are going to try to throw her under the bus to save their own careers. Meanwhile, her staffers will likely do the same to keep her viable.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 07:44 PM
Expect to see a LOT of nasty stuff come out re: McCain and Palin. What I'm hearing is that their respective camps are blaming each other and that the candidates themselves didn't really like each other that much.

Anyhow, the McCain staffers are going to try to throw her under the bus to save their own careers. Meanwhile, her staffers will likely do the same to keep her viable.

Think if Stevens loses his appeal and gets booted out of the senate she'll step down as governor and let the new Alaska governor choose his successor?

1890MilesToNorman
11/6/2008, 07:56 PM
Africa ain't no continent and we have 57 states. Don't you know your jography?

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 08:01 PM
Think if Stevens loses his appeal and gets booted out of the senate she'll step down as governor and let the new Alaska governor choose his successor?

Doesn't work that way up here anymore.

After Frank Murkowski ran for Governor and appointed his daughter Lisa to succeed him as Senator, a ballot initiative was passed requiring a special election to replace Senators who are not finishing their terms.

Ironically enough, the person most people thought Murkowski should have appointed (including me-I mean, I'd have preferred a D, but I was being realistic) was Sarah Palin.

Anyhow, the Senate race isn't over here yet. Stevens leads Begich by 3200 votes with anywhere from 50,000 votes to 70,000 votes left to be counted. The Begich campaign had a HUGE focus on absentee and early voting this year. We may see Ted go down after all.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:03 PM
Doesn't work that way up here anymore.

After Frank Murkowski ran for Governor and appointed his daughter Lisa to succeed him as Senator, a ballot initiative was passed requiring a special election to replace Senators who are not finishing their terms.

Ironically enough, the person most people thought Murkowski should have appointed (including me-I mean, I'd have preferred a D, but I was being realistic) was Sarah Palin. :eek:

Anyhow, the Senate race isn't over here yet. Stevens leads Begich by 3200 votes with anywhere from 50,000 votes to 70,000 votes left to be counted. The Begich campaign had a HUGE focus on absentee and early voting this year. We may see Ted go down after all.

Yeah, I imagine that kind of shenanigans would cause a change in the way senators are replaced.

I can't imagine what folks up there would do without Uncle Ted.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 08:14 PM
Hey, I wasn't saying I liked her, I just thought it would be a good way to get her on the national stage. If I had been a Republican strategist, I'd have gotten Frank to appoint her Senator, then have her run for VP in 2012.

I mean, they aren't complete idiots over there in elephant land. Palin has some qualities that make her very attractive to a chunk of the electorate. Honestly, I think she took her role as "attack dog" too seriously in the general. She's honestly a lot more charming than that on the local scene.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:16 PM
Hey, I wasn't saying I liked her, I just thought it would be a good way to get her on the national stage. If I had been a Republican strategist, I'd have gotten Frank to appoint her Senator, then have her run for VP in 2012.

I mean, they aren't complete idiots over there in elephant land. Palin has some qualities that make her very attractive to a chunk of the electorate. Honestly, I think she took her role as "attack dog" too seriously in the general. She's honestly a lot more charming than that on the local scene.

That's what I hear. I was really expecting Biden to the more aggressive out of the two.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 08:19 PM
Palin was the best thing that could have happened to Biden, because he couldn't attack.

KABOOKIE
11/6/2008, 08:21 PM
Africa? **** we got idjit going to the WH that didn't know how many states were in the union!!!

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 08:26 PM
I agree Mike . From what I read its More a Rumor than anything else at this Point .

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:29 PM
Palin was the best thing that could have happened to Biden, because he couldn't attack.

Heh, you're probably right.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 08:29 PM
Let me clarify a statement above:

My opinion of her as a potential vice-president is low. My opinion of her as a governor is still fair.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:30 PM
I agree Mike . From what I read its More a Rumor than anything else at this Point .

Yeah, I just wonder if Palin is going to return the attacks in kind.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:31 PM
Let me clarify a statement above:

My opinion of her as a potential vice-president is low. My opinion of her as a governor is still fair.

Fair enough.

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2008, 08:34 PM
I think its funny that people actually believe this is true.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:36 PM

It was first reported on Fox News :D

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 08:36 PM
Tuba, if this election has taught us anything, it's that some people will believe some pretty ****ing stupid things with little to no verification, particularly if it lines up with their political predisposition.

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2008, 08:38 PM
It was first reported on Fox News :D

What, that she didn't know basic geography, or that some bitter campaign aid was trying to throw her under the bus with something as dumb as this??

LosAngelesSooner
11/6/2008, 08:39 PM
I kind of agree with you. I don't think she is that dumb, but I tend to believe that she is that disinterested in global affairs.
One of my favorite conversations to have goes thusly:

Neo-Con Red White and Blue Wearing "Patriot"
America is the greatest nation on the face of the Earth!!!!

Me
Cool. What other countries have you visited?

Mexico!

Me
(blank stare)

:D

OklahomaTuba
11/6/2008, 08:39 PM
Tuba, if this election has taught us anything, it's that some people will believe some pretty ****ing stupid things with little to no verification, particularly if it lines up with their political predisposition.

The whole Muslim thing and birth certificate issue was just as bad.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 08:40 PM
The whole Muslim thing and birth certificate issue was just as bad.

OK, I was going to say this two days ago, but who are you and what did you do with Tuba? :D

LosAngelesSooner
11/6/2008, 08:42 PM
Africa ain't no continent and we have 57 states. Don't you know your jography?
*sigh*
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp
:rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:44 PM
What, that she didn't know basic geography, or that some bitter campaign aid was trying to throw her under the bus with something as dumb as this??

Both. Saw it on Bill O's show last night

LosAngelesSooner
11/6/2008, 08:45 PM
OK, I was going to say this two days ago, but who are you and what did you do with Tuba? :DLOL

Ditto.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 08:47 PM

America is the greatest nation on the face of the Earth!!!!

Me

Mexico!

Me
(blank stare)

Scotland was nice. Couldn't understand a damn thing they said though.

:les: SPEAK ENGLISH, THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!!!!

oh, wait, nevermind :D

KABOOKIE
11/6/2008, 08:53 PM
*sigh*
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp
:rolleyes:

So did he or did he not say it? I guess it's OK because he was a tired wittle fella or, was it because he said it so eloquently. :rolleyes:

Palin would have been flamed for months.

KABOOKIE
11/6/2008, 08:56 PM

Seattle druthered "Commie"
America is the worst nation on the face of the Earth!!!!

Me

Canada

Me
(blank stare)

[/QUOTE]

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 09:01 PM
So did he or did he not say it? I guess it's OK because he was a tired wittle fella or, was it because he said it so eloquently. :rolleyes:

Palin would have been flamed for months.

Yes he did say it
when It was mentioned on here every one who commented on it was Ridiculed to a degree.

AlbqSooner
11/6/2008, 09:11 PM
I enjoyed the talking head on CNN who was riduculing Palin over this. He commented that he had to wonder if she realized that North America consists of the United States, Canada and Mexico. WRONG!
North America (the Continent) begins at the border between Colombia and Panama.

tommieharris91
11/6/2008, 09:17 PM
I enjoyed the talking head on CNN who was riduculing Palin over this. He commented that he had to wonder if she realized that North America consists of the United States, Canada and Mexico. WRONG!
North America (the Continent) begins at the border between Colombia and Panama.

Actually, the claim is that she didn't know the countries in NAFTA.

Sooner_Havok
11/6/2008, 09:24 PM
Actually, the claim is that she didn't know the countries in NAMBLA.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

TUSooner
11/6/2008, 09:37 PM
I'm still getting emails telling me to refuse the dollar coin because it doesn't say 'In God We Trust' on it.

pssst-- it's on the edge!

LosAngelesSooner
11/6/2008, 09:40 PM

America is the worst nation on the face of the Earth!!!!

Me

Canada

Me
(blank stare)

[/quote]This doesn't even make sense.

Stick to your day job.

LosAngelesSooner
11/6/2008, 09:44 PM
Yes he did say it
when It was mentioned on here every one who commented on it was Ridiculed to a degree.There is an obvious difference between slipping up because you're tired and having to have someone EXPLAIN to you how you're wrong about something that any grade schooler should have learned and she should know after 5 years in college at 5 different colleges.

Despite all the false claims and attacks on Obama, his intelligence has never been called into question. Palin? Not so much.

I'm not sayin' the story is true, but it ain't that hard to believe, either.

North America (the Continent) begins at the border between Colombia and Panama.They said NAFTA. And when NAFTA is one of your big issues that you're trumpeting around during the election, you damned sure better know what 3 countries are in it.

I'm still getting emails telling me to refuse the dollar coin because it doesn't say 'In God We Trust' on it.

pssst-- it's on the edge!psssst--WHO FREAKIN' CARES?

I say take it off ALL the currency and let the sound of the gnashing of teeth from the evangelical farmlands sooth you to sleep each night. ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
11/6/2008, 10:41 PM
I say take it off ALL the currency and let the sound of the gnashing of teeth from the evangelical farmlands sooth you to sleep each night.

SOOTHE.

All that edumacation and culture, right down the drain.

You officially can no longer dog on Sarah Palin. You can take the high road and admit her m.i.l.f.ness for comeuppance. Throw in some Hail Marys while you're at it.

Lady Asshat
11/6/2008, 11:22 PM
Belch

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 11:32 PM
There is an obvious difference between slipping up because you're tired and having to have someone EXPLAIN to you how you're wrong about something that any grade schooler should have learned and she should know after 5 years in college at 5 different colleges.

Despite all the false claims and attacks on Obama, his intelligence has never been called into question. Palin? Not so much.

I'm not sayin' the story is true, but it ain't that hard to believe, either.

They said NAFTA. And when NAFTA is one of your big issues that you're trumpeting around during the election, you damned sure better know what 3 countries are in it.

psssst--WHO FREAKIN' CARES?

I say take it off ALL the currency and let the sound of the gnashing of teeth from the evangelical farmlands sooth you to sleep each night. ;)

Dood When ya gonna admit yer a LIB ?
I really dont Care
Yer defending something That Obama Said . and Comparing it to a Rumor
Take a Nap in the Corner Ok ?
:P

SoonerTerry
11/6/2008, 11:40 PM

I always try to be intelligent when I call here.

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 11:44 PM
I always try to be intelligent when I call here.

Dayum speelin Nazis :P

PDXsooner
11/6/2008, 11:46 PM

ha ha ha, man you're more "party brainwashed" than anyone on these forums... funny to read a comment like that from you.

soonerscuba
11/6/2008, 11:53 PM
I have difficulty believing a governor wouldn't know the difference and will just chalk this up to bitter in fighting in a campaign made public, it happens.

What I will not excuse is her referring to herself in the third person. ****** move, Sarah.

LosAngelesSooner
11/7/2008, 12:40 AM
SOOTHE.

All that edumacation and culture, right down the drain.

You officially can no longer dog on Sarah Palin. You can take the high road and admit her m.i.l.f.ness for comeuppance. Throw in some Hail Marys while you're at it.Bustin' me on a rare typo, HoseWrangler...:texan:

LosAngelesSooner
11/7/2008, 12:42 AM
Dood When ya gonna admit yer a LIB ?
I really dont Care
Yer defending something That Obama Said . and Comparing it to a Rumor
Take a Nap in the Corner Ok ?
:PPoop on yer head. Poop, I say.:D

Real Republicans want government OUT of their churches and OUT of their bedrooms. This evangelical base is what's costing us elections now. The sooner we accept it, the sooner we retake our party and our country.

'Till then? Prepare for more big government and out of control spending.

olevetonahill
11/7/2008, 01:04 AM
LOL at LAS
Poop ? really ? **** off dip **** .:P

LosAngelesSooner
11/7/2008, 01:50 AM
That's right.

Poop.

Fraggle145
11/7/2008, 07:10 AM
I have difficulty believing a governor wouldn't know the difference and will just chalk this up to bitter in fighting in a campaign made public, it happens.

What I will not excuse is her referring to herself in the third person. ****** move, Sarah.

I tend to agree with this... I think this is just more tired politic BS.

the one thing that she said that bothered me was:

I certainly am not one to ever waste time looking backwards."

Fraggle145
11/7/2008, 07:11 AM
OK, I was going to say this two days ago, but who are you and what did you do with Tuba? :D

olevetonahill
11/7/2008, 07:14 AM
That's right.

Poop.

You are so eloquent , No wonder yer a writer Fer TV .:rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
11/7/2008, 01:28 PM
You are so eloquent , No wonder yer a writer Fer TV .:rolleyes:Karefull, or you'll get the "double poop" treatment. :hot:

tbl
11/7/2008, 02:29 PM
It's kinda like when GH Bush misquoted the date of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, or as has been pointed out Obama's 57 states or his Muslim faith. Come on people... they're called brain farts, and we all have them. I still think the Muslim brain fart was the biggest one of the past campaign...

47straight
11/7/2008, 02:39 PM
So I guess you have to be rich enough to travel to other countries to guage the relative success of the American experiment. If you can only afford a trip to the library or innernet service I guess you'll just have to sit down and shut up.

SoonerProphet
11/7/2008, 02:42 PM
How about taking a call from Sarkozy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/sarahpalin/3367321/Sarah-Palin-caught-out-with-call-from-spoof-French-president.html

LosAngelesSooner
11/7/2008, 08:18 PM
So I guess you have to be rich enough to travel to other countries to guage the relative success of the American experiment. If you can only afford a trip to the library or innernet service I guess you'll just have to sit down and shut up.So you don't think there's a difference between real life experience and book smarts? :pop:

Dio
11/7/2008, 09:39 PM
Tuba, if the SO has taught us anything, it's that some people will believe some pretty ****ing stupid things with little to no verification, particularly if it lines up with their political predisposition.

Fixed ;)

GrapevineSooner
11/8/2008, 03:05 PM
FWIW... (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YWViMjhiZjI4ODlkZjg0NDg5MTJmNmIwYmFiNDRmNWU=)

(which for some people who are gullible enough to believe anything to fits their view about a particular individual, probably amounts to nothing)

I talked to Steve Biegun, the former Bush NSC aid who briefed Sarah Palin on foreign policy, and he considers the leaks against her on the international stuff "absurd."

He says there's no way she didn't know Africa was a continent, and whoever is saying she didn't must be distorting "a fumble of words." He talked to her about all manner of issues relating to Africa, from failed states to the Sudan. She was aware from the beginning of the conflict in Darfur, which is followed closely in evangelical churches, and was aware of Clinton's AIDS initiative. That basically makes it impossible that she thought all of Africa was a country.

On not knowing what countries are in NAFTA, Biegun was part of the conversation that led to that accusation and it convinces him "somebody is acting with a high degree of maliciousness." He was briefing Palin before a Univision interview, and talking to her about trade issues. He rolled through NAFTA, CAFTA, and the Colombia FTA. As he talked, people were coming in and out of the room, handing Palin things, etc. She was distracted from what Biegun was saying, and said, roughly, "Ok, who's in NAFTA, what's the deal with CAFTA, what's up the FTA?"—her way, Biegun says, of saying "rack them and stack them," begin again from the start. "Somebody is taking a conversation and twisting it maliciously," he says.

In general, according to Beigun, Palin had a steep learning curve on foreign issues, about what you would expect from a governor. But she has "great instincts and great core values," and is "an instinctive internationalist." The stories against her are being "fed by an unnamed source who is allowed by the press to make ad hominem attacks on background." Biegun, who spent dozens and dozens of hours briefing Palin on these issues, is happy to defend her, on the record, under his own name.

Frozen Sooner
11/8/2008, 03:16 PM
Like I was sayin'...

John McCain's staff ran a miserable campaign. They're trying to save their own future because right now they're unhireable-so if they can successfully move the blame from them to Sarah Palin it's to their benefit. Of course, anyone looking at that objectively would think "Um, if she's such a blithering idiot, how come nobody figured that out BEFORE naming her as the VP candidate?"

Palin made several image mistakes on that campaign trail, for sure. She certainly looked pretty clueless at times. Throwing her under the bus like this is unseemly.

I have a feeling a lot of this is being orchestrated by Tucker Bounds.

lexsooner
11/8/2008, 06:24 PM
I don't care about all these rumors and bitter finger-pointing. I am much more concerned about the fact the people of Alaska re-elected Ted Stevens. I realize my home states of Oklahoma and Kentucky are a bit out of step with the rest of the country, but geez, Alaska.

SoonerInKCMO
11/8/2008, 06:31 PM
Palin saying the people that are talking smack about her are jerks.

g0gHxHPrw7E

I believe that she knows Africa is a continent and knows the three countries in NAFTA. Her problem is that she: 1) Stumbles over her words at inopportune times; 2) Has identifiable gaps in her knowledge that a VP candidate shouldn't have; and 3) There are plenty of people that will take examples of (1) and use them to suggest the gaps mentioned in (2) are much larger than they actually are.

Frozen Sooner
11/8/2008, 06:54 PM
I don't care about all these rumors and bitter finger-pointing. I am much more concerned about the fact the people of Alaska re-elected Ted Stevens. I realize my home states of Oklahoma and Kentucky are a bit out of step with the rest of the country, but geez, Alaska.

Ted Stevens has not won re-election yet, and I don't think he will.

Last I heard, Begich was up 500 votes.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2008, 01:09 AM
Palin saying the people that are talking smack about her are jerks.

g0gHxHPrw7E

I believe that she knows Africa is a continent and knows the three countries in NAFTA. Her problem is that she: 1) Stumbles over her words at inopportune times; 2) Has identifiable gaps in her knowledge that a VP candidate shouldn't have; and 3) There are plenty of people that will take examples of (1) and use them to suggest the gaps mentioned in (2) are much larger than they actually are.

Dude. Oh yeah.

It's NOT fair, Sarah. It's NOT right. Kick their asses!

That video is so hawt, I just easily popped at least fourteen sticks of wood. I'd so eat the corn outta her poop just for a chance to see where it came from.

LosAngelesSooner
11/9/2008, 01:43 AM
If I accidentally "hit it," I'd put it in reverse and back over it to make sure it was dead.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2008, 09:01 AM
See, right back with the hate-orade.

Mmmmmm. She should totally take off her pants.

StoopTroup
11/9/2008, 09:29 AM
They never mention whether or not Todd and Sarah bought anything at Victoria's Secret.

1) $5000?
2) $10000?
3) >$10000?

;)

SNL: Todd be looking fine on his snowmachine...so hawt for each other we need a go-between. When I'm in Wasilla it's chill babay chilla...when I see oil it's drill babay drilla...

JohnnyMack
11/9/2008, 11:48 AM
I think when all the dust settles and people look back on this election they'll realize what a truly silly choice she was at this time. Maybe in 8 years she might be ready, but I don't think that even by 2012 she'll be able to win her parties nomination. If she was an average looking white guy her political career would be 100% finished. As it is she still has a pulse.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2008, 12:04 PM
She has a pulse...

And BOOBIES.