PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Tech/UT Watch Story

Sooner04
11/6/2008, 05:32 PM
We're on our way to Crossroads in the Union for a little late night dinner when Mrs. 04 decides she wants some coffee. Fine, I says, I'll go grab it. She thought it was polite, but I knew it would allow me to listen to the game on my headphones in peace. Somehow, I was picking up 1220 AM out of San Antonio clear as a bell on my headphones.

I get to Starbucks just before UT scores and I make my way back to the Union amongst a horde of people out on the lawns of the University. It's eerily quiet.

I arrive back at Crossroads and it's a zoo in there. Nobody's getting food, but everyone is packed in around the TVs. We spot some friends, and they tell us that some more friends are upstairs in the Office of Student Affairs.

Up the stairs we go.

We arrive and my buddy is fried. He's been watching for a while, and the avalanche of bad calls going against Tech coupled with the Red Raiders gagging all over themselves offensively has left him nanoseconds from a complete breakdown.

But then Tech begins to drive.

My prediction of the walk-on kicker hitting one at the gun to become the biggest thing in Lubbock since Buddy Holly is looking good until Harrell rolls to his left and his pass gets deflected up into no-man's land. All is lost, for sure, but then the ghost of Nathan Vasher shows up and turns young Gideon into a goat.

Eight seconds, eight seconds. What to do, what to do? Harrell drops back, surveys the field and fires a ball to the sideline straight into the teeth of double coverage. "Oh no", I says.

Precisely one second of silence and then..............pandemonium.

It's lunacy unleashed in the Office of Student Affairs, but I had to know what was going on downstairs.

In short, it was the Fall of Saigon.

Crap's flying everywhere. People are throwing newborn babies off of balconies. Cars are overturned. Exchange students are fornicating on the pool tables. Riots have broken out. People are roaming the corridors of campus with torches. Molly Shi Boren was tending to some flowers until a mob came by and beat her senseless.

It was Thunderdome.

As I drove home that night, I wondered how people who don't follow sports ever experience something like that. Where would something that spontaneous ever occur in their lives? It must be a sad existence.

Widescreen
11/6/2008, 05:34 PM
I flipped on the news and saw that Tech had beaten UT and thought "cool".

The End.

Widescreen
11/6/2008, 05:37 PM
Actually my daughter and I watched the last 6 minutes of the game and went through the same emotions. Anger when the Tech receiver was called for offensive pass interference and Harrell's subsequent lack of passing skills followed by a field goal. Disappointment when UT drive down and scored. Devastation when I just knew Harrell's pass was getting picked. And then coming unglued when Crabtree scored. Oh and then doing a facepalm when Tech's moron fans got 2 unsportsman penalties.

colleyvillesooner
11/6/2008, 05:40 PM
At the SF tailgate, and the same response. 1 second of silence, then all hell breaks loose. Beer flying, people screaming, jumping up and down like a kid.

It was great. :D

madillsoonerfan5353
11/6/2008, 05:41 PM
I flipped on the news and saw that Tech had beaten UT and thought "cool".

The End.

We turn the channel from the Woodshed beating that was OU vs NU to watch the last few minutes! My wife's grandpa about had a heart attack
when Crabhaver scored and I jumped through the roof!!!

picasso
11/6/2008, 06:17 PM
was at a hayride (church function committed to long ago) and whilst sitting around the fire I'm getting text messages from everywhere, Tech up 12, up 19, blah blah. I wasn't surprised.
the function was wayyyy south of Tulsa so we had time to listen to the end of the OU game and keep track of the UT game.
got home in time to see Tech get stopped (sorry assed offensive push-off call) and Texas score with a minute 30. I knew they scored too early.

yermom
11/6/2008, 06:26 PM
i knew they scored too early, just like i knew we did in Lubbock 3 years ago :(

i was in the stadium squinting at the crappy Soonervision TVs with a ton of other Sooners that had gathered SRO

sooner518
11/6/2008, 06:49 PM
at my friend's house after having watching OU destroy Nebbish and eating some hippie vegetarian food his girlfriend and her friends made.

Curse at the refs for calling Crabtree for offensive PI.

Curse at Leach and defense for all of a sudden playing 15 yards off the Whorn WRs and letting McCoy essentially pick his receivers like one might pick and choose different courses at a cafeteria.

Curse at Leach for all of a sudden playing somewhat tough D inside the 20 and not just letting UT score because everyone in the entire world knew that that TD was inevitable.

Relief that Texas scored with 1:30 left and that they weren't forced to bleed another 45 seconds off the clock.

Curse and throw my hat on the ground when I see Gideon intercept that ball. He HAD to have intercepted that ball, right? wait, WTF is going on....? Did he really just drop that? Seriously? OMG Yes! what a freakin idiot Whorn! My grandmother couldve caught that ball!

Ball is thrown to Crabtree...GET OUT OF BOUNDS YA FREAKIN IDIOTTTT.....YES!!!! HELL YES!!!!!!! SUCK IT COLTY (flips off Mack Brown on the screen)!!!

it went something like that :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/6/2008, 06:51 PM
At the SF tailgate, and the same response. 1 second of silence, then all hell breaks loose. Beer flying, people screaming, jumping up and down like a kid.

It was great. :D

same story...crazed bunch of haliburton drunks, Homey mumbling at the TV, Dean pacing around....good times

SeattleOUstudent
11/6/2008, 07:07 PM
loud celebration in Dallas at my brothers house.

Dan Thompson
11/6/2008, 08:22 PM
I was surprised at how well the receviers block down field on the pass plays. I think Stoops called the play "bubble out" or WR screen.

KingBarry
11/7/2008, 02:16 AM
Switched from the Sooner game (how often could I say that? I never turn off the Sooners) to watch the last few minutes.

It's an hour later here, and I managed to fall asleep until just before TX's last scoring drive. Watched the drive, prayed for them to fail to reach the end zone.

TX reached the end zone.

More praying.

Then Harrell completes a pass for a first, another first down, another first down. Time is ticking....

On my TV, it looked for sure like TX intercepted that ball and I let out deep, mournful cry of 'NOOOO!' My wife, who is from Italy and has less than zero interest in football, yelled from upstairs "Are you alright!"

Just then, it is revealed the horn dropped the ball, and I screamed "YES YES YES!!" I'm not sure that satisfied my wife.

Then one more play, Crabtree catches the ball, but seems to be held up by the dback......sick to my stomach.....Crabtree pulls away......TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Dancing, jumping, etc. My wife yells, "Honey, what is going on down there?" There was just no way to really explain it to her, so I answer "The team I like won the game." And she said "Oh, the Sooner Boomers won?" And I said, "yes they did"

Then I logged on to Soonfans.com to find somebody that could understand.

freshchris05
11/7/2008, 08:57 AM
at my friend's house after having watching OU destroy Nebbish and eating some hippie vegetarian food his girlfriend and her friends made.

Curse at the refs for calling Crabtree for offensive PI.

Curse at Leach and defense for all of a sudden playing 15 yards off the Whorn WRs and letting McCoy essentially pick his receivers like one might pick and choose different courses at a cafeteria.

Curse at Leach for all of a sudden playing somewhat tough D inside the 20 and not just letting UT score because everyone in the entire world knew that that TD was inevitable.

Relief that Texas scored with 1:30 left and that they weren't forced to bleed another 45 seconds off the clock.

Curse and throw my hat on the ground when I see Gideon intercept that ball. He HAD to have intercepted that ball, right? wait, WTF is going on....? Did he really just drop that? Seriously? OMG Yes! what a freakin idiot Whorn! My grandmother couldve caught that ball!

Ball is thrown to Crabtree...GET OUT OF BOUNDS YA FREAKIN IDIOTTTT.....YES!!!! HELL YES!!!!!!! SUCK IT COLTY (flips off Mack Brown on the screen)!!!

it went something like that :D

i remember denver...

OKLA21FAN
11/7/2008, 09:02 AM
At the camp grounds at the Texas Motor Speedway. Our TeVee was one of the only ones watching OU/NU on espn, but the RV across from us had the UT/Tech game on with about 20 or so Horns fans, and one lone Tech fan.

needless to say, the Tech fan had the last laugh.

good times.

SoonersEnFuego
11/7/2008, 09:10 AM
I never realized how many of you have terrible vision.

birddog
11/7/2008, 09:21 AM
i'm sure the ou fan that sits next to me at home games was complaining about the unsportsmanlike penalties instead of celebrating the tech td.

birddog
11/7/2008, 09:24 AM
Switched from the Sooner game (how often could I say that? I never turn off the Sooners) to watch the last few minutes.

It's an hour later here, and I managed to fall asleep until just before TX's last scoring drive. Watched the drive, prayed for them to fail to reach the end zone.

TX reached the end zone.

More praying.

Then Harrell completes a pass for a first, another first down, another first down. Time is ticking....

On my TV, it looked for sure like TX intercepted that ball and I let out deep, mournful cry of 'NOOOO!' My wife, who is from Italy and has less than zero interest in football, yelled from upstairs "Are you alright!"

Just then, it is revealed the horn dropped the ball, and I screamed "YES YES YES!!" I'm not sure that satisfied my wife.

Then one more play, Crabtree catches the ball, but seems to be held up by the dback......sick to my stomach.....Crabtree pulls away......TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Dancing, jumping, etc. My wife yells, "Honey, what is going on down there?" There was just no way to really explain it to her, so I answer "The team I like won the game." And she said "Oh, the Sooner Boomers won?" And I said, "yes they did"

replace italian with chinese and i've got the same story.

CK Sooner
11/7/2008, 10:30 AM

TX reached the end zone.

More praying.

:D

SoonerProphet
11/7/2008, 10:43 AM
The wife and I scored some sweet tickets over in section 124 for the nebbish game. We wanted to go have a few drinks over at Mr. Bills before we headed back to the hotel room and watch the tech-t-sip game...we did.

soonermix
11/7/2008, 10:49 AM
i was at home enjoying a beat down we were handing nebraska. i felt good because i was getting updates from a buddy of mine that tech looked good beating texass and watching the score on espn's scoreboard.
well i thought we are fully in cruise control i'll flip over to watch tech beat texas i was thinking

as soon as i flip texas has the ball with only a couple of minutes to go an i think oh great tech you suck you are going to fail again to texas as they drive down the field.
the get inside the 20 and i really get pissed and almost change the channel.
then i say to myself ok watch tech's meltdown watch them fail as they drive quickly down the field. a glimmer of hope enters back as i say that crazy ol' Leach thrownin the ball all around the field they just might do it.
then the (almost) interception happens as i sit back down.
then i am thinking holy crap when did this happen they are in field goal range ok they have time for 1 more play no biggie toss the ball to....

crabtree? the guy double covered over there ok he caught it get out of bounds........ wtf he scored hahahahahhahahahahha

take that opie thats right opie cry for me cry opie you failed

MiccoMacey
11/7/2008, 10:56 AM
Driving back from the game...heard it on the Animal.

PLaw
11/7/2008, 11:03 AM
As a fourth generation Okie and TTU alumni, I flashed back to the early 80's when SMU came to Lubbock ranked in the Top 5. Tech scored a go ahead TD with 0:07 left on the clock. Jerry Moore, former Nebbish assistant and Tech HC, decided against a squib kick off. SMU returned the kick for a TD and the "W".

Tech has a long history of not being able to get it done. I was shocked and proud how Harrell and Co. drove down the field and finished the job. The look on Mack and Colt's faces will forever be etched in my brain.

BOOMER

HappyClappyMackBrown
11/7/2008, 11:23 AM
i saw it on a television. I had a beer.

The end.

goodonya
11/7/2008, 02:09 PM
One of my sons plays football for Katy HS and their game started at 5:00 last Sat. Since my boy had QB'd the JV game on Thursday he wouldn't be playing by rule. I informed wifey that I would be leaving "in time to make the NU kickoff". She tried to shame me into staying at the game including trying to make me carry my seat back out of the stadium. At KT you don't leave unnoticed. They draw big time. I told her this was Nebraska and that should be enough for anyone to understand. I refused and bolted.

I set the screen up to record OU while I'm side-by-siding with the UT game. Next door neighbors are big Horn fans with a couple of grade school kids that my kids and I play football with out in the yard. Well, they had a big blow out going with cars parked up and down the street. As I was leaving for the KT game I found one of them standing under our OU flag out front just staring at it. Down here the typical next move is to tear it down or such. I walked up and said "Hi" and he simply said "pity, huh?" I asked in what way and he replied "pity that OU is out of the race for the title". I told him we would be leaving shortly and to be sure to keep an eye out for our rottweiler because we leave the gate open. He skulked off.

FF to end of game. The whoopin' & hollerin' from next door was slow to begin but begin it did. With a couple of minutes left it was crazy. Suddenly the ghost of Vasher cuts off the horns of the evil for the moment and then I hear a crash against the fence outside the deck. One of the morons has walked up and kicked the $hit out of it and broke a board into my yard. Yep, the flag admirer.

After Crabtree scores it is chaos until the ruling stands. 12-cars are filled and in some stage of exfil within 10-minutes. Some of the more mature ones screech their tires as I'm standing by the flag tree. One wife unabashedly indicates that I am number "1" with her. I slowly hoisted the horns-down gesture and she fired off an "a$$hole". This with kids walking to their folks cars.

I had always suspected this was the norm with the neighbors but had heard not a word from them on the subject for 3-years. Sunday the man came over to assure me he'd take care of the fence but said nothing else.

At the end of that game I felt just like I did standing on the track at A&M late in the game in 2000 when Torrence saved us.

HappyClappyMackBrown
11/7/2008, 02:53 PM
One of my sons plays football for Katy HS and their game started at 5:00 last Sat. Since my boy had QB'd the JV game on Thursday he wouldn't be playing by rule. I informed wifey that I would be leaving "in time to make the NU kickoff". She tried to shame me into staying at the game including trying to make me carry my seat back out of the stadium. At KT you don't leave unnoticed. They draw big time. I told her this was Nebraska and that should be enough for anyone to understand. I refused and bolted.

I set the screen up to record OU while I'm side-by-siding with the UT game. Next door neighbors are big Horn fans with a couple of grade school kids that my kids and I play football with out in the yard. Well, they had a big blow out going with cars parked up and down the street. As I was leaving for the KT game I found one of them standing under our OU flag out front just staring at it. Down here the typical next move is to tear it down or such. I walked up and said "Hi" and he simply said "pity, huh?" I asked in what way and he replied "pity that OU is out of the race for the title". I told him we would be leaving shortly and to be sure to keep an eye out for our rottweiler because we leave the gate open. He skulked off.

FF to end of game. The whoopin' & hollerin' from next door was slow to begin but begin it did. With a couple of minutes left it was crazy. Suddenly the ghost of Vasher cuts off the horns of the evil for the moment and then I hear a crash against the fence outside the deck. One of the morons has walked up and kicked the $hit out of it and broke a board into my yard. Yep, the flag admirer.

After Crabtree scores it is chaos until the ruling stands. 12-cars are filled and in some stage of exfil within 10-minutes. Some of the more mature ones screech their tires as I'm standing by the flag tree. One wife unabashedly indicates that I am number "1" with her. I slowly hoisted the horns-down gesture and she fired off an "a$$hole". This with kids walking to their folks cars.

I had always suspected this was the norm with the neighbors but had heard not a word from them on the subject for 3-years. Sunday the man came over to assure me he'd take care of the fence but said nothing else.

At the end of that game I felt just like I did standing on the track at A&M late in the game in 2000 when Torrence saved us.
tl;dr

sooner59
11/7/2008, 03:01 PM
After our game was over, I watched the last 6 minutes under the overhang on the flatscreen tvs on the west side of the stadium. Lots of Sooner fans hung around to watch it. It was pretty fun.

allentxsooner
11/7/2008, 04:16 PM
I left my very first sooner game just after the first quarter, made my 20 minute walk to the car and made it to a buffalo wild wings just in time to see the texas score and tt drive, the whole place was cheering........good times!

OKLA21FAN
11/7/2008, 04:18 PM
I left my very first sooner game just after the first quarter,

you should be flogged for not staying to hear the Pride's halftime show. :gary:

allentxsooner
11/7/2008, 04:30 PM
let me try that again just after the 4th quarter, my friend who has been to several ou games wanted a beer, and I agreed

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/7/2008, 04:32 PM
I left my very first sooner game just after the first quarter, made my 20 minute walk to the car and made it to a buffalo wild wings just in time to see the texas score and tt drive, the whole place was cheering........good times!

You left before halftime, made the 20 minute walk, then drove to Buffalo Wild Wings (I'm assuming the one in Moore), just in time to see the Texas score and the TTU drive???

Did you drive 6 mph on the back roads? There's at least 2 1/2 hours you're not telling us about. 'Fess up!!! :D

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/7/2008, 04:33 PM
let me try that again just after the 4th quarter, my friend who has been to several ou games wanted a beer, and I agreed

Ohhhhh...that makes a little more sense.

allentxsooner
11/7/2008, 04:36 PM
guess I should use that edit button or learn to profread before I post

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/9/2008, 02:33 PM
guess I should use that edit button or learn to profread before I post

Yes. Yes you should. ;)

OKC-SLC
11/9/2008, 03:46 PM
i'm glad i'm not alone in the 'flipping off Mack on the tv when no one else was around' club.

jdsooner
11/9/2008, 03:52 PM
My sons and I left the game a little early so we could watch the game. We watched some of the game across the street from the stadium on Lindsey. We then migrated and stopped outside of Bill's on Elm. We were watching through the windows when this girl came outside with a funny look on her face. She proceeded to throw up just outside the entrance. She must have had a big dinner, because her volume was impressive. She went back inside and we left.

We continued our walk to our car when I noticed some guys watching a television that was in the bed of a pickup. We stopped and watched Texas score. There was much cursing and swearing, but we didn't give up hope. Anxiously, we watched the final TT drive. Of course, we went crazy when Crabtree scored. There was much whooping, hollering, dancing, and hugging. I was hugged by a drunk stranger!

AllAboutThe'O'
11/9/2008, 09:33 PM
When Crabtree scored the game-winning TD, I started jumping up and down while repeatedly exclaiming "YES! YES! YES! YES!" This was at my friend's apartment, by the way.

Few minutes later, there's a knock on the door. It's his landlords. Apparently, my vocal excitement caused the neighbors to call the landlords, followed by the cops (ironically, my friend's neighbor is a cop). I apologize profusely and tell them I would be quiet from that point on.

I was still apologizing to my friend when I went back to his place yesterday for the day's viewing of games. Yes, I was rather sedated the whole day.

tommieharris91
11/9/2008, 10:19 PM
When I get a student ticket, I usually sit as high as I can so I can watch other games on the TVs in the club seats. So, I guess you could say I was one of the people cheering at random times during the OU/Nebraska game, before the score was updated on the ribbon.

OK2LA
11/9/2008, 10:34 PM
At my local sports bar here in SacTown, and it seems that an alumni from UT thought he would try to start a Texas Ex's group up there, and that was their first "meeting". They had about 10-15 people there -eerily quiet until 2 minutes left when they all erupted. I was on the other side of the bar watching the same game.

When Crabtree did his little sideline dance I jumped out of my seat and yelled: "YES!" They all looked over at me in my OU gear - and glared.

ouwasp
11/9/2008, 10:55 PM
I was doing what most other folks were doing; going to the Tech game during
OU commericals, etc. When ut started making their comeback i quit watching so closely. But I happened to have it on when ut scored late. i was thinking, "in a perfect world for ut, they shoulda worked the clock some more..."

Then came the int drop. I laughed heartily, but also felt bad for the kid. Sorta. Now I'm tired of hearing mushberger yell and hype, so I mute the tube. I'm expecting Tech to set up a FG, thinking about all the stupid stories we'll have to hear about that walk-on kicker... and they throw the deep fade... WHAT THE DEVIL? He CAUGHT IT?!

The mute comes off and I'm laughing again. Daughter looks up from the computer to ask what's so funny? I tell her, she grins slightly but really doesn't care...