PDA

View Full Version : Some texas player was kicked off yesterday

85Sooner
11/6/2008, 12:32 PM
For some remarks made on his facebook pg.. Anyone heard about it?

Evidently he is a hunter and does not like Obama

link:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/46/sporting-events/week-11-discussion-336723/

go to post number 7

Widescreen
11/6/2008, 12:42 PM
Backup Center I think.

boomermagic
11/6/2008, 12:48 PM
that's terrible... He deserves to be booted for sure...

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/6/2008, 01:04 PM
The kid getting booted was probably the best thing that could happen to him. I'd much rather leave the facility quiety, carrying my personals in a cardboard box, than have to leave practice in an ambulance on life-support after a good majority of the roster beat my @$$ to a bloody pulp.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2008, 01:18 PM
This is serious stuff. If I were a coach these days, I would include "net etiquette" as part of orientation for incoming freshman. Things that get said in a group of beer-guzzling friends meant as humor cannot be posted on facebook or uploaded to youtube. Especially when the kid is representing the university.

fadada1
11/6/2008, 01:18 PM
"was that wrong? should i not have done that?"

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/6/2008, 01:27 PM
Hehehehe, when I heard what he said, all I could picture in my head was Forrest Gump:

"Coons? When raccoons tried getting on our back porch, Mama just chased them off with a broom."

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 03:12 PM
If none of you guys have Facebook, The status of African-American athletes where just as bad. I had one player who starts for OU on my friendlist and his status was "Obama Bit**es, What now, we takin over"

JLEW1818
11/6/2008, 03:18 PM
ya thats crossing the line. keep that stuff to yourself

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 03:19 PM
Which I laughed when i read, and realized that this is a huge moment in the lives of many African-Americans.

achiro
11/6/2008, 03:23 PM
So you can steal tv's, carry guns, do drugs, and various other criminal acts without being kicked off of that team but by gawd don't say the n word. Makes sense to me.

Oh, and I am in NO way saying it's ok to say that word.

badger
11/6/2008, 03:25 PM
Fark board discussion. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2475900#post2475900)

Yes, you have free speech, but only when you're representing yourself personally, not something as important as the University of Texas football team. As a former member of the whorns, he will now have all the freedom of speech that he wants as an individual, not as a football player.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 03:32 PM
If none of you guys have Facebook, The status of African-American athletes where just as bad. I had one player who starts for OU on my friendlist and his status was "Obama Bit**es, What now, we takin over"

If you think the two are even close to equivalent, you're nuts.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 03:33 PM
Fark board discussion. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2475900#post2475900)

Yes, you have free speech, but only when you're representing yourself personally, not something as important as the University of Texas football team. As a former member of the whorns, he will now have all the freedom of speech that he wants as an individual, not as a football player.

Making threats against the president-elect is a crime, as it happens.

badger
11/6/2008, 03:39 PM

It's also a crime to threaten others as well, as it happens.

I've just heard a lot of "free speech" defenses in reference to this case, so I brought that up.

If it was an anonymous profile with a made up name, like "Ron Mexico" or something, it would have been completely different. The Secret Service would have tracked him down privately, questioned him vigorously to find that he was joking and absolutely no threat to President-elect Obama, then left without everyone knowing. The fact that he was posting as BUCK B...akkd... whatever his last name is, TEXAS FOOTBALL BACKUP CENTER, made all the difference in this case.

freshchris05
11/6/2008, 03:50 PM

exactly...

some of you need to realize its not just about the n word

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/6/2008, 04:04 PM
I think his status was actually "coon," and not the N-word.

Not that it makes any difference.

FaninAma
11/6/2008, 04:23 PM
I'm fine with what happened as long as the consequences are applied across the board regardless of race....meaning that a black athlete would get the same treatment for uttering or writing similiar racially insensitive remarks.

freshchris05
11/6/2008, 04:29 PM
I think his status was actually "coon," and not the N-word.

Not that it makes any difference.

i see.. yeah that does remind me of forrest gump

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 04:59 PM
If you think the two are even close to equivalent, you're nuts.

Where did i say that????

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 05:00 PM
I'm fine with what happened as long as the consequences are applied across the board regardless of race....meaning that a black athlete would get the same treatment for similiar uttering or writing similiarly racially insnsitive remarks.

It wouldn't.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 05:07 PM
Where did i say that????

When you said they were "just as bad."

Just as bad means equivalent.

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 05:25 PM
I disagree, its certainly not what i meant. Killing somone and being proud of ones race are two different things. I guess you are as ignorant as you try to make me sound.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 05:28 PM
If it's not what you mean, then great. But it IS what you said.

And lay off the personal attacks. They're forbidden by the TOS.

badger
11/6/2008, 05:31 PM
I disagree, its certainly not what i meant. Killing somone and being proud of ones race are two different things. I guess you are as ignorant as you try to make me sound.
Hmm...

It sounds were saying that they were equally bad in your first post, but in your previous post you say they are not equal and two different things.

:D Ahhhh, elections. Wear your flip flops and backpedal your way to spin alley, cuz what a candidate says now should be taken more than what he said less recently!

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, Kaleo, I just think it's a cruel irony that talking about politicians can be like politicians talking. It is also cruel that politics crept into the football board :(

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 05:40 PM
Which I laughed when i read, and realized that this is a huge moment in the lives of many African-Americans.

I guess that doesn't mean anything. "Just as bad" was the wrong usages of verbage. And mr. rich thats not a personal attack just saying.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2008, 05:40 PM
That's all you had to say.

adoniijahsooner
11/6/2008, 05:48 PM
I'm a African American, and today my daughter said one of her 5th grade classmates, said that she "was going to kill Obama". So apparently this sort of foolishness is everywhere. I am also concerned about us, saying and doing things that is racists and ignorant, such as saying "we taking over". People need to think.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2008, 05:50 PM
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, Kaleo, I just think it's a cruel irony that talking about politicians can be like politicians talking. It is also cruel that politics crept into the football board :(

I think this thread illustrates how sensitive topics can stir emotions and magnify misunderstandings. I don't know the details of why this kid was kicked off the team, but there were 2 issues. One was the racial slur which would certainly be embarrassing and the second was a menacing tone of the message which could be criminal. I thing the second thing is the big problem, but I'm not sure. I actually think all kids should get a netiquette lesson in *high school*, and maybe required by college freshman. This world of social networking technology swept in quickly and now we see the side effects of mis-use.

TMcGee86
11/6/2008, 06:00 PM

Why the **** would anyone be "proud" of ones race?

Black or white.

That's like being proud that you breath air. :rolleyes:

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 06:24 PM
Why the **** would anyone be "proud" of ones race?

Black or white.

That's like being proud that you breath air. :rolleyes:

Your right, you should hate who you are. :pop:

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 06:25 PM
I'm a African American, and today my daughter said one of her 5th grade classmates, said that she "was going to kill Obama". So apparently this sort of foolishness is everywhere. I am also concerned about us, saying and doing things that is racists and ignorant, such as saying "we taking over". People need to think.

Well said.

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 06:32 PM
I think this thread illustrates how sensitive topics can stir emotions and magnify misunderstandings. I don't know the details of why this kid was kicked off the team, but there were 2 issues. One was the racial slur which would certainly be embarrassing and the second was a menacing tone of the message which could be criminal. I thing the second thing is the big problem, but I'm not sure. I actually think all kids should get a netiquette lesson in *high school*, and maybe required by college freshman. This world of social networking technology swept in quickly and now we see the side effects of mis-use.

Very well said, I played baseball at a Baptist university and we had several student athletes kicked off various teams for facebook and myspace related incidents. I think that it is easily said that each of these incidents are not comparable but are both young people that are in the spur of the moment and are not thinking clearly about the image they are portraying to others.

TMcGee86
11/6/2008, 06:36 PM
Your right, you should hate who you are. :pop:

Who you are shouldn't be defined by how much melanin you have in your skin.

And I didn't say you should hate it, but what's there to be proud of? You didn't work for your race. You didn't get it bestowed upon you because you deserved it. You just happened to be born that way.

Might as well be "proud" you have two eyes.

KaleoHolley
11/6/2008, 06:38 PM

And I didn't say you should hate it, but what's there to be proud of? You didn't work for your race. You didn't get it bestowed upon you because you deserved it. You just happened to be born that way.

So you mean to tell me that all African Americans shouldn't care that they use to have zero rights, and now have some heading our country? they shouldn't be proud of "WHO" they are. Your right.

SOONERxWife73
11/6/2008, 07:06 PM
blah blah blah.....

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/6/2008, 07:29 PM

So you mean to tell me that all African Americans shouldn't care that they use to have zero rights, and now have some heading our country? they shouldn't be proud of "WHO" they are. Your right.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCE WAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/771/771545/southpark-withapologiestojessejackson_1173403281.jpg

rainiersooner
11/7/2008, 01:02 AM
Wow, this was a great thread! I learned a lot!!

SoonerKnight
11/7/2008, 01:31 AM
Without getting involved in this too much. :rolleyes: I would like to just say that Obama will be everyone's President! The fact that he is multi-racial is important to history as he is the first non-white President we will have and I think that is great! The fact is African-American's should be proud of where this COUNTRY has gone. Obama got elected because a lot of white people saw past color and elected him to be our leader for the next four years. His personal history has little to do with the African-American history. He was raised by his white mother, grand-mother and grand-father. He made that evident during the campaign.

Above all he is going to be OUR President and I hope he does well for the sake of our country!!! It should also be noted he won in a landslide!!! :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/7/2008, 02:19 AM
He will be your President...I am moving to the Vatican

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/7/2008, 02:20 AM
Also I would like to say I work with a really hot black girl..and she should be very proud of that hot black ***!

SoonerKnight
11/7/2008, 02:45 AM

I won't write what I was going to respond to that may offend someone but he will be our president and if he fails, this country is going to be worse off, so I am hoping for the future of this country he does well!!!!

PLaw
11/7/2008, 10:57 AM
For some remarks made on his facebook pg.. Anyone heard about it?

Evidently he is a hunter and does not like Obama

link:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/46/sporting-events/week-11-discussion-336723/

go to post number 7

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio in PHX this week. Think this might have an impact on the whorn locker room???

BOOMER

UTgolfer
11/7/2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I heard about this on the radio in PHX this week. Think this might have an impact on the whorn locker room???

BOOMER

Kid is a complete idiot for posting that stuff...and Mack had no option but to kick him off or the locker room would be a disaster.

footballfanatic
11/7/2008, 01:40 PM
Here is Austin, most of the radio callers today and yesterday in support kicking the kid off the team. Most people I've spoken to have said, "Good." But some of the callers think there is s double standard, and that his offense wasn't as bad as driving while intoxicated. The school moved quickly--they had no choice. It looks really bad to seem tolerant of this thing, plus there could be issues in the locker room, and it could hurt recruiting. The kid claims that most players on the team showed support to him and forgave him, but he made a thoughtless act that could cost him for the rest of his life and I feel sorry for him. The lesson is clear--WORDS MATTER, SO CHOOSE THEM CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!! I have made my teen daughter listen to all the radio chatter about this to make her see how doing dumb things on the net can really affect you for a long time.

virginiasooner
11/7/2008, 01:51 PM
If he was driving drunk, sure, suspend him a few games, make him look at dead people killed by drunk drivers, etc. HE THREATENED THE PRESIDENT-ELECT OF THE UNITED STATES. In case no one has noticed, there are a lot of crazies out there. And then he gets truly stupid and posts it on Facebook (or MySpace, what's the diff?), and THEN he's sorry he wrote it. Warning to all who use those services: YOUR FUTURE EMPLOYERS ARE WATCHING!!!! If you don't want the world to know that you have issues with the president-elect, DON'T POST IT ONLINE!!!

badger
11/7/2008, 01:52 PM
Without getting involved in this too much. :rolleyes: I would like to just say that Obama will be everyone's President! The fact that he is multi-racial is important to history as he is the first non-white President we will have and I think that is great! The fact is African-American's should be proud of where this COUNTRY has gone. Obama got elected because a lot of white people saw past color and elected him to be our leader for the next four years. His personal history has little to do with the African-American history. He was raised by his white mother, grand-mother and grand-father. He made that evident during the campaign.

Above all he is going to be OUR President and I hope he does well for the sake of our country!!! It should also be noted he won in a landslide!!! :D

An interesting take on this...
http://cagle.com/news/ObamaWins08/images4/allie.jpg

For more funnies from newspapers around the world, click here. (http://cagle.com/news/ObamaWins08/)

OUmillenium
11/7/2008, 01:56 PM

spek, I agree

footballfanatic
11/7/2008, 02:15 PM
If he was driving drunk, sure, suspend him a few games, make him look at dead people killed by drunk drivers, etc. HE THREATENED THE PRESIDENT-ELECT OF THE UNITED STATES. In case no one has noticed, there are a lot of crazies out there. And then he gets truly stupid and posts it on Facebook (or MySpace, what's the diff?), and THEN he's sorry he wrote it. Warning to all who use those services: YOUR FUTURE EMPLOYERS ARE WATCHING!!!! If you don't want the world to know that you have issues with the president-elect, DON'T POST IT ONLINE!!!

Very true......

boomermagic
11/7/2008, 02:31 PM

I am a white man and I proudly voted for Obama.. Feel free to move out of this great country if you desire..

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/7/2008, 02:42 PM
I am a white man and I proudly voted for Obama.. Feel free to move out of this great country if you desire..

Same thing the Dems were saying in 2004...we didn't see them move out.

A-M
11/7/2008, 02:46 PM

I am a white person and I agree with you! I just hope that everyone will give him time to get in office and let him do his job. I do not think his skin color should have anything to do with being for or against him. He will either do a good job or a bad job because of his own ideas, not because of his skin color or what religion his father was. We had an election and now Obama is everyone's president weather you voted for him or not.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/7/2008, 04:37 PM

Damn, it was a joke, you guys need to get your joke meter checked.

achiro
11/7/2008, 04:55 PM
OK, I must have missed part of what he said because I didn't see a threat???:confused:

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2008, 05:00 PM
OK, I must have missed part of what he said because I didn't see a threat???:confused:

"All hunters, gather up..." could imply guns and hunting of a person. More menacing than threatening, but much more serious than the racial slur. It would have still been bad if it had concluded "...there's a democrat in the white house".

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 11:07 AM
I do not think his skin color should have anything to do with being for or against him.

But it clearly did. Obama was elected primarily because he was black. If he was white, we wouldn't even know who he was at this time.

Curly Bill
11/8/2008, 11:16 AM
But it clearly did. Obama was elected primarily because he was black. If he was white, we wouldn't even know who he was at this time.

Yup, we're supposed to forget about race and move on, yet all we have heard is 1st black president, what a historical day this is electing a person of color, blah blah, blah, yet we're supposed to forget about race and move on? OK then, STFU about his race and maybe we can.

Stitch Face
11/8/2008, 12:19 PM

Further off-topic (and not specifically directed at your post, Mike) but has anyone ever seen such prolific and honorific use of the term "President-Elect?" Apparently the President-Elect has his own "office" now, his own website, podium, press conferences, etc. Everywhere you look in the last few days it's "Did you see what the President-Elect did?" or "Oh not you didn't just say that about the President-Elect!" My theory is that the majority of people are so tired of Bush they're trying to elevate Obama to the top spot in their minds as soon as possible. I fully expect a new song called "Hail to the Soon-to-be Chief" to accompany Obama at major events soon.

Stitch Face
11/8/2008, 12:22 PM
And if Obama is re-elected does he hold both offices at once??

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2008, 04:48 PM

I disagree. That takes all the issues, all the debates, all the gaffes and comebacks and political wrangling that we've all been endured over the past 2 years and says none of those things count. If Americans were primarily motivated by race as you say, then shouldn't more of us have voted for McCain/Palin because Palin was female?

There are a great many things that were more important factors to most people (economy, health care, Iraq, etc) before you even get to the race issue. Don't buy it? The exit polls all support this. You should give the people in this country a little more credit than that.

achiro
11/8/2008, 05:34 PM
"All hunters, gather up..." could imply guns and hunting of a person. More menacing than threatening, but much more serious than the racial slur. It would have still been bad if it had concluded "...there's a democrat in the white house".

OR it could imply that hunters are very concerned(whether legitimate concerns or not) about this guy taking away rights(guns, public hunting areas) and it was a call to arms of sorts. If anyone on the team that knew him thought for a second that he was seriously making a "threat" then they knew something weird about him before.

A-M
11/9/2008, 06:22 PM
Further off-topic (and not specifically directed at your post, Mike) but has anyone ever seen such prolific and honorific use of the term "President-Elect?" Apparently the President-Elect has his own "office" now, his own website, podium, press conferences, etc. Everywhere you look in the last few days it's "Did you see what the President-Elect did?" or "Oh not you didn't just say that about the President-Elect!" My theory is that the majority of people are so tired of Bush they're trying to elevate Obama to the top spot in their minds as soon as possible. I fully expect a new song called "Hail to the Soon-to-be Chief" to accompany Obama at major events soon.

That's what happens after a whole lot of people voted for a guy who admitted to the people that he lied about WMD's before we invaded Iraq. Now, they just want to forget that he is there because of their vote.