PDA

View Full Version : Where does Mike Leach land?

PalmBeachSooner1
11/6/2008, 03:55 AM
I will preface that I AM a noobie. Having said that if this thread is old, I upfront apologize. My question for the Sooner nation is where does Mike land?

I think in the PAC 10, say a Washington is a great great fit. But why not Tennessee? Would they take a chance on such an offensive guru in the SEC? Hell, they can't compete with Florida or LSU anyways, so I say why not? The nation has noticed Lubbock for God sake's. He's obviously got something going, no?

(Yes, he's nuts, but he can't end up in Lubbock after this year, so what is the consensus from that part of the country?)

If I'm a Volunteer fan I say, "what the hell at this point"

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2008, 04:57 AM
Texas Tech.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/6/2008, 08:36 AM
I would say that it is not far fetched to think he stays at Tech. Why would he leave after all the work he has done to make Tech get noticed and competitive. Why would he leave that, plus he is a king in Lubbock and Tech will probably throw a lot of money his way to stay. I think his personality, strangely, is a perfect fit in Lubbock. Call me crazy, but I think he stays.

sooner n houston
11/6/2008, 08:41 AM
I heard yesterday that he just accepted a 6 year extension at TT. Better get used to seeing Mike at TT I'd guess! :D

MichiganSooner
11/6/2008, 08:47 AM
Why would he leave Tech? Did Bill Snyder leave K-State?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/6/2008, 09:14 AM
Exactly. I never understood why someone would bring a program to prominance and then ditch it for a program that is crappy at the time. Makes no sense to me. It also isn't like TT is a podunk school either.

boomermagic
11/6/2008, 09:19 AM
Exactly. I never understood why someone would bring a program to prominance and then ditch it for a program that is crappy at the time. Makes no sense to me. It also isn't like TT is a podunk school either.

Reason ? Money ! Mike is a very good if not a great coach..

BillyBall
11/6/2008, 09:32 AM
If a school like Tennessee really wanted him, I think they would be able to throw a ton of cash at him and he would bolt.

Tech screwed up by not signing him before the year, his stock just jumped on them.

Half a Hundred
11/6/2008, 10:07 AM
Location and recruiting potential. You think Lubbock really matches up with either Knoxville or Seattle on that one?

soonermix
11/6/2008, 10:11 AM
Location and recruiting potential. You think Lubbock really matches up with either Knoxville or Seattle on that one?

recruiting potential - yes i do think they match up

kbsooner21
11/6/2008, 10:18 AM
Tennessee

Half a Hundred
11/6/2008, 10:21 AM
recruiting potential - yes i do think they match up

Other than getting third-string players in Texas, what great draw do the dusty plains hold? Other than Leach's style itself?

SoonerAtKU
11/6/2008, 10:26 AM
I think the limiting factor is Leach himself. There are a limited number of programs that can handle a man like that in charge of their football program. There's no way he ends up at a stuffy, traditional power that takes itself way too seriously. Alabama? Notre Dame? Penn State? Tennessee? Places like that would rather shut down than hire someone with as much personality and disregard for established rules. Here's to hoping Leach keeps Pirate Tech in business for years to come. If he leaves, it's a great loss to the conference.

badger
11/6/2008, 10:35 AM
I say he goes to a program that has done a lot of suffering that is desperate for anything to happen... and I'm not sure any program fits that description yet that Leach would be considering moving to, so he's not moving this year.

Tennessee, while they have had their ups and downs and further downs, has not suffered enough that the fanbase is as complacent as, say, Washington's. When we went to Washington, the fans were all like "Please don't beat us too badly."

:D When fans of a championship winning program say "Please don't beat us too badly," you know they will hug Leach non-stop when he arrives a la Bama Woman kissing Nick Satan.

Tennessee is not to that stage. They're still in the denial stage... you know, the "We'll win it all next year" stage, like the aTm Aggies, or the Nebbish Huskers that underwent recent coaching changes. They still have hope, so they will not embrace the change Leach would bring. Same goes for Clemson, Auburn, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, etc.

The programs that want a new coach that aren't like that just aren't worth taking.

mdklatt
11/6/2008, 11:21 AM
Reason ? Money !

Money is not a motivation for everyone. Maybe he's one of those frugal guys that can live comfortably on $2 million/year. :texan:

mdklatt
11/6/2008, 11:23 AM

If it was all about geography, OU would kinda suck.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/6/2008, 11:25 AM

I don't think Lubbock is at the big of a disadvantage in either one of those areas. You are still close enough to Dallas and you are in Texas, which is a huge pool of talent and now you are starting to plull in big players from that ppol, outdoing Texas A&M. Plus, have you ever been to Tech, it is a party school. There is nothing else going on there, so the parties are amazing and by the way, so are the women. There is something going on out there on the South Plains because the wimmins is smokin'!

boomermagic
11/6/2008, 11:54 AM
Money is not a motivation for everyone. Maybe he's one of those frugal guys that can live comfortably on $2 million/year. :texan:

UMMM Maybe.....

The Maestro
11/6/2008, 12:04 PM

It's not, but Knoxville has a stadium that is twice as large as TT. Therefore, twice as many tickets sold. Therefore, twice as much cash.

Sure, money may not motivate Leach, but have you been to Lubbock? What a dump! And since Leach is known to throw back a few I am sure Tennessee moonshine and the Bourbon in the area trumps having to drive south of town to buy alcohol as they do in Lubbock.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/6/2008, 01:13 PM
And by the way, so are the women. There is something going on out there on the South Plains because the wimmins is smokin'!

You can't offer an objective arguement here! You married one of them!

RedstickSooner
11/6/2008, 01:17 PM
It'd really suck if he went to Tennessee -- I hate those orange nimrods.

Tennessee is a top-tier program, and if they offered him one of those mountain of cash deals, I can't help thinking he'd take it.

Half a Hundred
11/6/2008, 01:23 PM

Which is why OU's ascendancy is absolutely a product of brilliant foresight by one George Lynn Cross.

jwlynn64
11/6/2008, 01:34 PM

Sacrilege! Everyone knows that Oklahoma is God's Country! If thy tongue offends thee, pluck it out MDKlatt!

Now I know that you can take the Texan out of Cedar Hill but you can't take the Cedar Hill out of the Texan! Next thing I know, you'll be offering up that old joke about why Texas doesn't fall off into the Gulf! ;)

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/6/2008, 01:41 PM
You can't offer an objective arguement here! You married one of them!

heh...I was smart. There is a tom of them out there, that is why I pillaged the pirates den for one!

JLEW1818
11/6/2008, 01:49 PM
If he goes to Tenn. we will see him in near future.

soonersam
11/6/2008, 01:55 PM
How many Schools have a Pirate as their Mascot? I would look at those schools first.

Bristow?

mdklatt
11/6/2008, 02:01 PM
It's not, but Knoxville has a stadium that is twice as large as TT. Therefore, twice as many tickets sold. Therefore, twice as much cash.

But we're talking about recruiting players. Oh wait....

mdklatt
11/6/2008, 02:06 PM
How many Schools have a Pirate as their Mascot? I would look at those schools first.

Arrr! (http://ecupirates.cstv.com/)

stoopified
11/6/2008, 03:05 PM
Why would he leave Tech? Did Bill Snyder leave K-State?IF Leach ever wants a NC he needs to leave Lubbock.I personally think he had done all he can do there.I think TT has reachedas high as they can already this year and on average they will be an 8-9 win team at best.Need to strike while the iron is hot.

FWIW I think by the time Snyder built up KSU and his coaching rep he was too old to go elsewhere.Coach jump to better jobs all the time and trust me the Volunteers are more suited for long-term sucess than TT.I think UM should have hired Leach 2 years ago.I don't knoe where Leach is from but he got his start at Kentucky so Going to Tennessee could be like going home(back to SEC roots and all).

JLEW1818
11/6/2008, 03:11 PM
IF Leach ever wants a NC he needs to leave Lubbock.I personally think he had done all he can do there.I think TT has reachedas high as they can already this year and on average they will be an 8-9 win team at best.Need to strike while the iron is hot.

FWIW I think by the time Snyder built up KSU and his coaching rep he was too old to go elsewhere.Coach jump to better jobs all the time and trust me the Volunteers are more suited for long-term sucess than TT.I think UM should have hired Leach 2 years ago.I don't knoe where Leach is from but he got his start at Kentucky so Going to Tennessee could be like going home(back to SEC roots and all).

Agree Tech will blow next year.

sidneyfikx
11/6/2008, 03:38 PM
:D When fans of a championship winning program say "Please don't beat us too badly," you know they will hug Leach non-stop when he arrives a la Bama Woman kissing Nick Satan.

Tennessee is not to that stage. They're still in the denial stage... you know, the "We'll win it all next year" stage, like the aTm Aggies, or the Nebbish Huskers that underwent recent coaching changes. They still have hope, so they will not embrace the change Leach would bring. Same goes for Clemson, Auburn, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, etc.

With all due respect, I think it is questionable to compare teams like A and M, and Neb to Tenn. Moreover, I don't think Mike Leach would be unwelcome at Tenn because they are still in denial.

Leach won't end up at Tenn because his brand of football just will not work in the SEC. It barely works in the big 12. Yeah he luck boxes his way into some upsets and sub par bowl appearances, but the performance he has put on this year is an exception and not any kind of rule.

The offense he runs does not work well against teams with great defensive athletes and a strong D-line. For example, OU and Texas. There are a lot more teams sporting that combo in the SEC.

badger
11/6/2008, 03:45 PM
With all due respect, I think it is questionable to compare teams like A and M, and Neb to Tenn. Moreover, I don't think Mike Leach would be unwelcome at Tenn because they are still in denial.

Leach won't end up at Tenn because his brand of football just will not work in the SEC. It barely works in the big 12. Yeah he luck boxes his way into some upsets and sub par bowl appearances, but the performance he has put on this year is an exception and not any kind of rule.

The offense he runs does not work well against teams with great defensive athletes and a strong D-line. For example, OU and Texas. There are a lot more teams sporting that combo in the SEC.

I dunno... would a program accept a coach that wins after years of losing terribly to almost every opponent?

LSUdeek
11/6/2008, 03:52 PM
Leach is going to have to learn how to recruit nationally at Terdersee. The fertile recruiting grounds of Texas won't be available to him as they are to OU and TTU.

sidneyfikx
11/6/2008, 03:56 PM
I dunno... would a program accept a coach that wins after years of losing terribly to almost every opponent?

I guess that is my point, I am not sure Tenn is in the state you suggest. They have won the SEC east 4 times in the last eight years and they can still recruit top flight athletes.

They can do a whole lot better than little Mr. Mike Leach. Who up until this year has not even taken a team to a big 12 championship. Yeah, he wins, but what? An upset here and there, and the 8-9 win season. Yeah, he has done well this year, but only because he upset Texas and remains undefeated.

Let us see how he plays against OSU and OU.

Fraggle145
11/6/2008, 04:36 PM
I just say look what happens when coaches finally get a program going somewhere that sucks and move to someplace else... A lot of them cant repeat the success. Ty Willingham for example, Steve Spurrier (yes before him UF was utter suckage), and Rich Rod so far. I'm sure that there are more. If it aint broke why do you need to fix it?

The Maestro
11/6/2008, 05:09 PM
Leach is going to have to learn how to recruit nationally at Terdersee. The fertile recruiting grounds of Texas won't be available to him as they are to OU and TTU.

You mean like he went to Utah and found some kid named Heupel?

Leach can recruit...he just doesn't follow all the "four and five star" guides as much. He found Crabtree and that guy is NFL ready today.

hink4769
11/6/2008, 05:23 PM
I really doubt Leach will end up at Tennessee. He would just bring in way too much change that would make alot of people there uncomfortable. I think he might be a good fit at Washington though. He would be able to draw alot of the offensive recruits from the West Coast that didn't end up at USC. That program has totally bottomed out too. I think they would be willing to gamble on him. He would fit right into the Pac-10 too where they already don't play any defense. But who knows, maybe he's grown fond of tumbleweed and wants to stay at Tech.

SoonerInKCMO
11/6/2008, 09:25 PM
IF Leach ever wants a NC he needs to leave Lubbock.

Or, win his next five games.

olevetonahill
11/6/2008, 10:16 PM
I believe He will land On his Feet .;)

swardboy
11/6/2008, 10:17 PM
I dunno. More than once I've read Leach talking about vacations with the family. I'm guessing he thinks Lubbock is a great place to raise his family and wants to stay put.

CatfishSooner
11/6/2008, 11:42 PM
no way he leaves for washington...ridiculous

KingBarry
11/7/2008, 01:50 AM
I don't see him leaving Tech. His quirky personality is just going to turn off a lot of programs.

I think he would be especially despised on the oh-so-politically correct West Coast. I just do NOT see him in the Pac-10, except for maybe one of the Arizona schools. And Arizona ain't lookin' for nobody (fingers crossed).

FYI-He came from BYU, and the rumor always has been that it's his dream to be the HC there some day. But again, his strange personality and noted affinity for alcolhol would not seem to be the best match up with Mormon discipline and abstinence.

Just my 2 cents

jwlynn64
11/7/2008, 03:26 PM
They can do a whole lot better than little Mr. Mike Leach. Who up until this year has not even taken a team to a big 12 championship. Yeah, he wins, but what? An upset here and there, and the 8-9 win season. Yeah, he has done well this year, but only because he upset Texas and remains undefeated.

I don't think that you can hold it against Coach Leach that he hasn't won a Big 12 Championship. The last time someone won the Big 12 south instead of OU, they had to be good enough to actually win the National Championship.

I can see Coach Leach having success pretty much anywhere that he goes. There are a lot of schools that would love to be able to consistently win 9 games a season.

By the way, I think that most of us would define remaining undefeated doing better than pretty well. Your whole post is pretty ridiculous but that sentence lowered my IQ by at least 10 points when I read it. :eek:

Leroy Lizard
11/8/2008, 11:19 AM
Tech last won a conference title in 1994, but only finished 6-6 that year. Before that, you have to go back to 1976, when they finished 10-2.

This is not a traditional powerhouse. So being undefeated, ranked#2, and just having beaten the #1 team in the country is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

Keep in mind that Spike Dykes, Leach's predecessor, went 82-67-2. Leach has also won five of his last six bowl games (a bowl record our own coach would envy).

Awesome coach.