PDA

View Full Version : Dear Fellow Conservatives

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2008, 06:13 PM
Please hold off on the Obama hating at least until he does something to hate. Wish the guy well, support him, and give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives you a reason not to.

It shows a tremendous lack of class to attack the guy the day after his election before he's even taken the oath of office. Act like you haven't been raised by slavic peasants.

OUHOMER
11/5/2008, 06:16 PM
So if you hated him before the election, you should not hate him now.

Gotcha

But i hear where your coming from, i will give him the benefit of doubt for now.

its the other dems that scare me

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2008, 06:17 PM
So if you hated him before the election, you should not hate him now.

Gotcha

There's no reason to hate the guy period. What the hell has he done that's so worthy of hatred? You may not like his politics, but to hate the guy and demonize him a day after his election? Grow the **** up.

JLEW1818
11/5/2008, 06:19 PM
If he gets a 8 team tourney in college football , I'll vote for him in 2012

OUHOMER
11/5/2008, 06:19 PM
heh i guess i didn't finish my edit in time :D

Jerk
11/5/2008, 06:33 PM
Please hold off on the Obama hating at least until he does something to hate. Wish the guy well, support him, and give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives you a reason not to.

It shows a tremendous lack of class to attack the guy the day after his election before he's even taken the oath of office. Act like you haven't been raised by slavic peasants.

I'll give him at least as much time as the democrats gave Bush before the hating starts.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2008, 06:44 PM
Just as soon as he implements any of the leftist things he's talked about, he will get plenty of criticism.

Sooner_Havok
11/5/2008, 06:46 PM
I'll give him at least as much time as the democrats gave Bush before the hating starts.

Just to throw this out.

11/18-21/04
51%

Last time Bush was above 50% in approval ratings. Almost 4 years into his term.

Also, I voted for him during this period.

StoopTroup
11/5/2008, 06:47 PM
So you guys are gonna shut your pie holes until 1/20/09?

Veritas
11/5/2008, 06:51 PM
Agreed, SicEm. I didn't vote for him but I don't think I'd have been any happier had McCain won.

But he's going to be the Pres, and I hope that the articulate, considered candidate was for real and not mere calculated artifice to gain votes.

It's funny, I remember the same hand-wringing from the right after Clinton won.

Curly Bill
11/5/2008, 07:36 PM
I've always disliked the guy and what he stands for, I shall not stop now because he got elected POTUS.

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 07:40 PM

Oh just stop it. This from a confessed, unabashed, unreconstructed Neo-Confederate. That battle ended in 1865 and until a couple weeks ago, you were proudly waving its battle flag as your avi.;)

But seriously, its not bashing to analyze what happened. And if the day ever comes when Americans can't remain loyal citizens while being critical of the publicly stated policies of their elected leaders, we're sunk. Isn't that what the opposition to the current administration has been saying for the last six years? Or is my Alzheimers kicking in?

I don't think anyone hates the guy. Heck, a reasonable person has to know who a person is before he or she can stoke the fires of hate. Moreover, these are fascinating times in which to live. America may be at a crossroads in terms of transitioning from a free-market based capitalist society to, well, something more along the western European model. At least until 2010. That'll be fun to watch.

and I can't wait for the Wannemaker gun show this weekend. I suspect there will be some great bumper stickers and t-shirts for sale.

KC//CRIMSON
11/5/2008, 07:43 PM
I've always disliked the guy and what he stands for, I shall not stop now because he got elected POTUS.

Eight years sure is a long time to carry a grudge....

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 07:45 PM

oh, I dunno about that. Apparently a pretty sizeable number of Americans never got over Bush v. Gore in 2000.

See, here's the thing. For the first time since 1977, the left is gonna have to deliver on its promises.

Curly Bill
11/5/2008, 07:48 PM

Four...

...if that.

mdklatt
11/5/2008, 07:49 PM
oh, I dunno about that. Apparently a pretty sizeable number of Americans never got over Bush v. Gore in 2000.

No kidding. The number of people who have a hate hard-on for Gore is amazing. ;)

Jerk
11/5/2008, 07:53 PM
and I can't wait for the Wannemaker gun show this weekend. I suspect there will be some great bumper stickers and t-shirts for sale.

I bet that will be a packed house.

I went to the local sporting goods store here 2 days ago and the rat packers have cleaned off the shelves. Ammo, particularly military calibers, are being hoarded up. .223, .308, and 7.62 Soviet are hard to find.

I've been assured from many people here that Obama won't come after our guns, but I'm not buying it. They'll wait until some loser shoots up a school, and you can bet your arse that the opportunity will be used for "reasonable" and "common sense regulations."

Watch for new regulations from OSHA and the DOT regarding the transport and storage of ammunition and components which will make it unbelievable expensive for retailers to keep the stuff in stock. That will come soon.

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 07:53 PM
No kidding. The number of people who have a hate hard-on for Gore is amazing. ;)

I for one don't hate him. I think he's a bit of a moonbat, and I think he oversold the man-made global warming dealio, but I don't hate him.

wishbonesooner
11/5/2008, 07:55 PM
Give the man his chance. This was a historic election. Not only was it the first time a man of color was elected President of the United States, it was the first time the news media capitulated and actually endorsed a candidate and worked to get him elected rather than just reporting the news.

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 07:58 PM
I dont hate . But Im gonna say Im Lookin forward with Cautious Hope .

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 08:05 PM
Give the man his chance. This was a historic election. Not only was it the first time a man of color was elected President of the United States, it was the first time the news media capitulated and actually endorsed a candidate and worked to get him elected rather than just reporting the news.

you're being sarcastic right? :confused:

wishbonesooner
11/5/2008, 08:08 PM
I'm absolutely not kidding.

SoonerKnight
11/5/2008, 08:24 PM
I dont hate . But Im gonna say Im Lookin forward with Cautious Hope .

HOPE!!!! Wasn't that his slogan? :D

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 08:31 PM
I'm absolutely not kidding.

so its a good thing that purportedly objective national media actually worked affirmatively to elect a guy? Like in Cuba and the old Soviet Union and stuff?

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 08:31 PM
HOPE!!!! Wasn't that his slogan? :D

Change wernt it ?
Im gonna Hope .

TUSooner
11/5/2008, 08:36 PM
so its a good thing that purportedly objective national media actually worked affirmatively to elect a guy? Like in Cuba and the old Soviet Union and stuff?

I think he was saying that the transparency was good.

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 08:36 PM
meh.

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 08:39 PM
But seriously, its not bashing to analyze what happened. And if the day ever comes when Americans can't remain loyal citizens while being critical of the publicly stated policies of their elected leaders, we're sunk. Isn't that what the opposition to the current administration has been saying for the last six years? Or is my Alzheimers kicking in?

By all means, assume the mantle of loyal opposition. I wish for you better than I have received these years, and hope that nobody conflates your opposition with disloyalty.

And if you think that I ever do so, do set me straight for I will deserve it.

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 08:46 PM
By all means, assume the mantle of loyal opposition. I wish for you better than I have received these years, and hope that nobody conflates your opposition with disloyalty.

And if you think that I ever do so, do set me straight for I will deserve it.

I'll add this. It is my fervent hope and prayer that he does a superb job and pulls rabbits out of his hat. If he does a good job, he'll have earned my vote in 2012. I'm just old (well, a year older than him anyway) and cynical and I think when folks realize they aren't going to get their pony and cotton candy castle with rainbow windows, there's liable to be some blowback. I know my fellow Americans, we aren't very patient. We also tend to replace rock stars dejour on about a three year cycle.

OklahomaTuba
11/5/2008, 08:48 PM
I know some peeps in the coal mining industry that already hate his guts.

wishbonesooner
11/5/2008, 08:56 PM
I hope he does well too. There is too much at stake. We had our opportunity to vote and participate in the process, and the people have spoken. I don't think the playing field was level, but, then again I guess it rarely is.

TUSooner
11/5/2008, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of his intended meaning. That is to say, I read no small amount of sarcasm. At least, I hope I read no small amount of sarcasm.

Sorry - I was referring to wishbone's post to which Homey replied. I think wisbone thinks the "good" part is the transparent media bias rather than a concealed one.
kinda just gessin tho
:O

wishbonesooner
11/5/2008, 09:05 PM
The media's role is not to influence the political process. It has always been to report the news so that we, the public, could make an informed choice. This time around, I absolutely believe the media decided we were all too stupid to make a choice on our own.

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 09:08 PM
Actually, the media's role is many things.

Journalism proper should be neutral. But the media has been advocating positions since forever -- cf. the Federalist Papers.

tommieharris91
11/5/2008, 09:09 PM
I know some peeps in the coal mining industry that already hate his guts.

They should have started to learn about windmills and solar panels a long time ago.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2008, 09:10 PM
Actually, the media's role is many things.

Journalism proper should be neutral. But the media has been advocating positions since forever -- cf. the Federalist Papers.

A difference between then and now though is that papers were overtly and admitted partisans. Many papers were funded by either the Federalists or Democrat-Republicans directly, so everyone knew and understood when you were reading a Federalist or Republican paper.

Partisanship cloaked in objective journalism is dangerous.

jkjsooner
11/5/2008, 09:11 PM

Very good post. I waslistening to conservative talk shows today and they were saying how they were going to ride Obama's arse. One was strongly implying he already knew that Obama was going to have the Scandals of Clinton.

I can't think of any way they could have undermined their legitimacy more than they just did.

And, yes, I bet liberal talk shows are just as bad....

No offense to our own Rush, but these guys are so outrageous that it's clear they're going after the lowest common denominator and I would bet anything that most view themselves as mere entertainers and know their own B.S. stinks to high heaven.

AlbqSooner
11/5/2008, 09:11 PM
I believe that the outcome of this election may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to the Republican party. Even in his acceptance speech he was backpedaling on how soon we will actually see change. Then today Nancy Pelosi says that although they will be working on the things that need to change, there must be a measure of prioritization. Health care may have to wait a bit. By 2012 the Country may well be willing to vote for anyone not affiliated with the Democratic Party.

But, I will wait and see how it plays out. :D

1890MilesToNorman
11/5/2008, 09:15 PM
I don't vote for a man, I vote for what they represent. I despise everything the left stands for so I don't vote that way. I think I know what Obama stands for and I do not like it one bit.

jkjsooner
11/5/2008, 09:38 PM

Comparing a private media that may have a political bias to a government/party controlled media is a little much don't you agree?

Is there any shade of gray in your world? Biased media is equivalent to state controlled media. An increasing some social spending is equivalent to Stalin's confiscation of personal property and land. The leaps you guys make sometimes astonishes me. (And don't tell me it's all about taking incremental steps towards Stalin's USSR. Almost every communist state was radically transformed through revolution not through incremental steps.)

As for the media, you guys love free market until it produces something you disagree with....

jkjsooner
11/5/2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, I became a sooner starter! Woohoo!

It only took 3 years to get there. (Actually I think I had a different username/password quite a while ago but I rarely posted and I forgot it.)

JohnnyMack
11/5/2008, 10:38 PM

While I've never been a democrat, I can tell you that back in 2000 I had a really hard time deciding between Bush and Gore. I went back and forth and ended up voting for Gore. I never had a problem with W until Iraq. I thought his handling of 09/11 and the initial push into Afghanistan was done pretty well in fact. So can you give BHO a year or two? Thanks. ;)

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 10:41 PM
Bush had what 8 months? Ok Obama Has that long ;)

Sooner_Havok
11/5/2008, 10:42 PM

Bush was pulling 50% up until the second term. Just saying. Hell, the man had 90% for a while.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2008, 10:45 PM

Naw I was fine with for at least a year after 09/11 so I want two years.

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 10:52 PM
Naw I was fine with for at least a year after 09/11 so I want two years.

:P

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 11:30 PM

I wasn't exactly a "supporter" of Bush for the first few months. I was... hesitant, shall we say.

After 9/11, I supported him, especially with respect to Afghanistan.

I had doubts about Iraq, but I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt based on the fact that, you know -- he's the President.

After no WMD were found and the serious post-invasion screw-ups, well, pfft.

Most of the non-moonbat liberals I'm aware of followed roughly the same path.

So, that gives what, at least 3 years?

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 11:32 PM
I don't think there's a given time frame. Look at what he does. If he does something you find truly offensive, well, do what you've got to do.

He's the President, not God. You don't owe him anything but a good faith opportunity to do a good job. If he doesn't take it, hammer him.

JLEW1818
11/5/2008, 11:42 PM
agree

47straight
11/5/2008, 11:53 PM
I saw bush chimp and bush hitler junk in the immediate days after the election in 2000 during those weeks when the outcome was in doubt. But what do I know? I only walked around the governor's mansion and saw the protestors here in Austin.

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 11:55 PM
I saw bush chimp and bush hitler junk in the immediate days after the election in 2000 during those weeks when the outcome was in doubt. But what do I know? I only walked around the governor's mansion and saw the protestors here in Austin.

Oh, I'm sure there are people out there on both sides that will behave like that.

The question is: Is that the kind of person you want to be?

leavingthezoo
11/6/2008, 12:10 AM

bush had a 90% approval rating at one point and squandered that. are you telling me the country is 90% republican? man, Obama did even better than i thought.

KingBarry
11/6/2008, 04:46 AM
Very good post. I waslistening to conservative talk shows today and they were saying how they were going to ride Obama's arse. One was strongly implying he already knew that Obama was going to have the Scandals of Clinton.

I can't think of any way they could have undermined their legitimacy more than they just did.

And, yes, I bet liberal talk shows are just as bad....

No offense to our own Rush, but these guys are so outrageous that it's clear they're going after the lowest common denominator and I would bet anything that most view themselves as mere entertainers and know their own B.S. stinks to high heaven.

I got to listen to Sean Hannity today, none of the others, and his message was just the opposite. In summary, Hannity seems to think that Obama is a pretty good person, hopes he will be a reasonable and centrist president, and believes that a failed presidency from anyone is bad for the USA.

I think this is the right stance for now. My God, the Russians are on the march, and the Islamists are watching with baited breath to see if the next administration will stand them down or enable their expansion. Those two points alone are enough to keep me in line with any president, at least until he/she f's up.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2008, 04:49 AM
I got to listen to Sean Hannity today, none of the others, and his message was just the opposite. In summary, Hannity seems to think that Obama is a pretty good person, hopes he will be a reasonable and centrist president, and believes that a failed presidency from anyone is bad for the USA.

Hannity is utterly and completely full of ****. He didn't start spewing that unity crap until he picked it up (much like everything else he says) from other Republican leaders. Stop listening to Hannity before he destroys more of your brain cells -- the guy is a second class moron.