PDA

View Full Version : Cripes, Sorry, I did what I could...

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2008, 05:11 AM
But it looks like Vampire Ted Stevens is still alive.

On behalf of the 52 or so per cent of Alaskans that didn't vote for a 7-time felon, I'd like to apologize.

Rogue
11/5/2008, 05:23 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2008, 05:24 AM
Not sure on the election law up here. Stevens doesn't have 50% of the vote, so we may get a Begich/Stevens runoff. And we still have some precincts yet to be counted and 20,000 absentee ballots (which can move the numbers up to 10%)

But still...

Jeepers.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2008, 06:02 AM
correction 40k absentee ballots.

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 06:20 AM
correction 40k absentee ballots.

which were probably voted and mailed before the convictions.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2008, 06:27 AM
possible. Early votes post 10-29 are counted absentee. A major part of the D strategy was early and absentee balloting. Still, this shouldn't b e close.

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 06:40 AM
But it looks like Vampire Ted Stevens is still alive.

On behalf of the 52 or so per cent of Alaskans that didn't vote for a 7-time felon, I'd like to apologize.

That's okay, it kinda balances out William "Cold Cash" Jefferson's easy cruise to victory in Louisiana despite his federal indictment.;)

Frozen Sooner
11/7/2008, 09:45 PM
Well, Homey, I got some good news last night.

For Begich to catch up in the vote count, he'd need to get 50.8% of the ballots that weren't counted as yet.

For him to quash an automatic recount, he'd need 54%.

In the "uncounted" ballots that haven't been counted yet, Begich is pulling about 61%. Division of Elections won't release anything official until the total count is done, but that's the word from the campaign.

Also, if all the Begich voters are Berkowitz voters, those kind of numbers have a good shot of eliminating Don Young's lead as well. Young's possible corruption isn't as well-known as Stevens', but there's probably a reason he's spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds on legal fees.

TUSooner
11/7/2008, 10:44 PM
That's okay, it kinda balances out William "Cold Cash" Jefferson's easy cruise to victory in Louisiana despite his federal indictment.;)

shhhhhh! I was hoping Ted would be a distraction.

Actually, Dollar Bill still has to face a field of nobodies in December to get the seat, This last election was just the Donkey run-off, delayed by Gustave.

I'm voting for the Republican, Anh "Joseph" Cao, a former Ethics professor and Jesuit seminarian (and Vietnamese guy). Sadly, nobody has ever heard of him.

http://josephcaoforcongress.com/

SoonerTerry
11/7/2008, 11:59 PM
On another note David Walters and Sleezestack just asked "what the "F" is wrong with Alaska?"....

Widescreen
11/8/2008, 03:09 AM
What is Alaska's rule for when a senator resigns? If the governor appts a replacement, I probably would've voted for Stevens too. Not because I want Stevens to go back to washington (he's a pretty enormous jackass, even by washington standards), but so Palin could appt a replacement - assuming that's the rule.

Frozen Sooner
11/8/2008, 03:50 AM
What is Alaska's rule for when a senator resigns? If the governor appts a replacement, I probably would've voted for Stevens too. Not because I want Stevens to go back to washington (he's a pretty enormous jackass, even by washington standards), but so Palin could appt a replacement - assuming that's the rule.

There must be a special election held within 90 days.

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 04:03 AM
you liked Stevens when he wore that Hulk tie, no?

Frozen Sooner
11/8/2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah, actually. :D

King Crimson
11/8/2008, 04:09 AM
just funnin', ya know?

Frozen Sooner
11/8/2008, 04:13 AM
No, I know.

I've stuck up for Stevens on here before. But I ain't gonna stand for a felon being one of my US Senators. Plus, I like Mark. Met him several times and he's always been nothing but nice.

SoonerFrog
11/9/2008, 12:01 AM
No, I know.

I've stuck up for Stevens on here before. But I ain't gonna stand for a felon being one of my US Senators. Plus, I like Mark. Met him several times and he's always been nothing but nice.

Der FrozenStein,

My math shows Begich grabbing about 60% of the absentee ballots, which would put him about 4500 votes ahead, which is a nice lead but not enough to avoid the special ballot. On the good side, you are correct, the Begich coattails are long and sturdy enough to improve things downballot further.

Croaks from Peoria to you and yours.

Frozen Sooner
11/9/2008, 01:04 AM
Er, not sure what you mean by that. A simple majority of the votes gives Begich the win. There's no "special ballot" involved.

A special election would be held if Stevens is kicked out of the Senate or resigns.

Okla-homey
11/9/2008, 08:33 AM
No, I know.

You know, FWIW, the people of Massachusetts have re-elected Teddy many times, and he committed manslaughter (unconvicted of course). Now that he's dying, he's being hailed as the "Lion of the Senate." Personally, I would make that "Liar of the Senate," but that's just me.

cops: Tell us again why you didn't call for help after you drove into the creek and were able to escape your submerged vehicle with Miss Kopechne still trapped inside?

Teddy: I was in shock.

cops: but you were able to swim away and make it on foot several miles to your family estate and you didn't call us for 24 hours.

Teddy: I am a slow shock comer-outer.

the_ouskull
11/9/2008, 10:48 AM
I ain't gonna stand for a felon being one of my US Senators.

I love you, Mike, and you're one of the smartest guys I know. I respect your opinions, pretty much across the board.

But is someone a felon only after they're caught?

We, the American people, are robbed on a daily basis by our elected officials. MOST of our U.S. Senators, etc... are criminals of the highest order. It's part of what makes our country so, uh... great?

the_ouskull

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2008, 02:53 PM
I love you, Mike, and you're one of the smartest guys I know. I respect your opinions, pretty much across the board.

But is someone a felon only after they're caught?

We, the American people, are robbed on a daily basis by our elected officials. MOST of our U.S. Senators, etc... are criminals of the highest order. It's part of what makes our country so, uh... great?

the_ouskull

A person is not a felon until convicted as such in a court of law by a jury of his peers.

While you may feel that elected officials are crooks, Ted Stevens took $250,000 in gifts from a person who he could (and did) directly benefit in his position. That's a pretty big no-no-and one that someone who's a Harvard Law graduate knows darn well and good is illegal.

Anyhow, the official count of the uncounted ballots starts today. The official number is something over 90,000 ballots needing to be counted. To give you an idea, that's roughly the size of Juneau AND Fairbanks put together. It's going to have an effect.

KingBarry
11/12/2008, 03:17 PM
I hope Stevens pulls it out because we desparately need that seat. Would be nice to see Gov Palin get that seat after Stevens is expelled, but if she were to appoint herself that would carry very negative baggage.

Then having to face a special election just two- to three-months later, the Dems would turn defeating her into a nationwide Democrat's Jihad against her.

Gov Palin would probably still win, but would almost certainly be further tarnished on the national stage.

If I was her, and I had my eye on another run at national office, I would appt somebody good and run for re-election to state house in two years.

Keep my eye on Alaska's other Senate seat.

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2008, 09:05 PM
Begich just pulled ahead by 3 votes in the latest official count.

Palin cannot appoint herself to take over Stevens' seat if he is kicked out, though if she wanted it she could resign and have her Lt. Governor do it. Regardless, a new election would be held in 90 days to finish out Stevens' term (if he was reelected.)

I don't think Palin would take a run at Lisa Murkowski's seat. Lisa's pretty popular (even though her dad's name is dogcrap) and she's a Republican who voted against the Patriot Act.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2008, 12:30 AM
Newest numbers from DoE-

Begich +814.

def_lazer_fc
11/13/2008, 12:44 AM
if stevens is out, then who will provide me with those hilarious old man rants on the senate floor?

Vaevictis
11/13/2008, 12:51 AM
The tubes, the tubes!

Vaevictis
11/13/2008, 01:00 AM
Oh, hey, something just occurred to me.

You don't have to worry about him being elected, because Republicans always resign when they get caught in shenanigans.

Right?

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2008, 01:01 AM
Oh, hey, something just occurred to me.

You don't have to worry about him being elected, because Republicans always resign when they get caught in shenanigans.

Right?

But then we get the distinct possibility of Senator Palin.

Vaevictis
11/13/2008, 01:02 AM
But then we get the distinct possibility of Senator Palin.

Wasn't she involved in shenanigans too?

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2008, 01:06 AM
Yes and no. Her shenanigans were cheeky and fun. His were evil.

Vaevictis
11/13/2008, 01:15 AM
But, but.. but Republicans are squeaky clean and they're always forced to resign when they're involved in shenanigans.