PDA

View Full Version : My biggest and IMHO, most important question...

Collier11
11/5/2008, 12:17 AM
for the Obama presidency, who will be the Secretary of Defense and who should it be? Is Patreaus still an option and would Obama consider him?

Sooner_Havok
11/5/2008, 12:18 AM
for the Obama presidency, who will be the Secretary of Defense and who should it be? Is Patreaus still an option and would Obama consider him?

I wouldn't. We need him right where he is!

toast
11/5/2008, 12:18 AM
my biggest question, is whether he will govern from the left or from the centrist platform he ran on?

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 12:20 AM
I don't think Patraeus is eligible anyway. Isn't the law such that former military must be out of the military for a certain amount of time before they can be Secretary of Defense?

Collier11
11/5/2008, 12:20 AM
As I said in the other thread, he would be crazy to govern with Pelosi and Reid...he would lose half the people who elected him

Collier11
11/5/2008, 12:21 AM
I don't think Patraeus is eligible anyway. Isn't the law such that former military must be out of the military for a certain amount of time before they can be Secretary of Defense?

Not sure, thats why I asked :D Who else would be a good choice for those better informed than myself

JLEW1818
11/5/2008, 12:22 AM
Iran will laugh at us.

Collier11
11/5/2008, 12:24 AM
who gives a F about Iran, many countries have been laughing at us for a few yrs now, like it or not

Sooner_Havok
11/5/2008, 12:26 AM
Iran will laugh at us.

Iran has it's own problems right now. One of their top ministers is likely to be removed. If that happens, the whole government has to be put up to a vote of confidence.

The Iranian people don't much like their government right now.

JLEW1818
11/5/2008, 12:27 AM
the day we lose our will to fight, we lose our freedom!

hope that never happens.

Rogue
11/5/2008, 05:46 AM
Colin Powell

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2008, 06:00 AM
Charlie Hagel, Webb or keep Gates

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2008, 06:04 AM
Keeping Gates as SecDef would be a tremendously smart move both for him politically and the country. Gates is an excellent SecDef and far far better this his predecessor.

That's the absolutely last time I'm complimenting an Aggie.

Okla-homey
11/5/2008, 06:26 AM

No such law. You can go home from your military job in the Pentagon one day, and go to work in the Pentagon in a suit as a civil servant the next day. That's called "double dipping" and countless thousands have retired from both systems. Heck, some even become "triple dippers" by working for the gubmint as a GI, civilian, and then as a government contractor. The exception is for those GI's who worked in acquisition programs. You can't go to work for the company to whom you awarded or administred a contract until a certain period of time passes.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/5/2008, 09:31 AM
Any rumblings about Wesley Clark?

He stumped for the Dims pretty hard. Seems like there might be an attaboy coming his way.

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2008, 09:46 AM
Any rumblings about Wesley Clark?

He stumped for the Dims pretty hard. Seems like there might be an attaboy coming his way.
Good Grief...I hope not. He is a full blown chicken ****. He was not respected when he was the big kahuna in the Balkans...the troops HATED him and his ****ty policies.

OklahomaTuba
11/5/2008, 09:50 AM
Colin Powell
Well, since he did such a great job as SOS, why not!

SoonerProphet
11/5/2008, 10:14 AM
I've heard Lugar and Hagel mentioned in some foreign policy circles as possible cabinet members.

stoopified
11/5/2008, 10:22 AM
No such law. You can go home from your military job in the Pentagon one day, and go to work in the Pentagon in a suit as a civil servant the next day. That's called "double dipping" and countless thousands have retired from both systems. Heck, some even become "triple dippers" by working for the gubmint as a GI, civilian, and then as a government contractor. The exception is for those GI's who worked in acquisition programs. You can't go to work for the company to whom you awarded or administred a contract until a certain period of time passes.My dad retired from the Army and went to work civil service for the.....Navy.He now draws retirement fron both.

Vaevictis
11/5/2008, 12:53 PM
No such law. You can go home from your military job in the Pentagon one day, and go to work in the Pentagon in a suit as a civil servant the next day. That's called "double dipping" and countless thousands have retired from both systems. Heck, some even become "triple dippers" by working for the gubmint as a GI, civilian, and then as a government contractor. The exception is for those GI's who worked in acquisition programs. You can't go to work for the company to whom you awarded or administred a contract until a certain period of time passes.

I think there is, unless I'm misinterpreting it.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/113.html

(a) There is a Secretary of Defense, who is the head of the Department of Defense, appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within 10 years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force.

swardboy
11/5/2008, 02:57 PM
my biggest question, is whether he will govern from the left or from the centrist platform he ran on?

Hmm..let's see...he's the most liberal Senator....I say actions speak louder than words.