PDA

View Full Version : This is truly a Great Nation

lexsooner
11/4/2008, 11:54 PM
Despite all of our differences, we have elected an African American man as the leader of our nation. I am particularly happy for my African American friends, for I know how much this means to them. For all of our problems, this Great Nation has come a long way, and on this night I am so very proud to be an American. God Bless.

JLEW1818
11/4/2008, 11:55 PM
Why is it big for them? Color should not be an issue right?

GrapevineSooner
11/5/2008, 12:04 AM
Well, you can't say the man is keeping you down anymore. ;)

Collier11
11/5/2008, 12:11 AM
It is sad that it took so long and also sad that being African American is still something blacks have to cling to...I wish all people could claim to be Proud Americans above all

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 12:37 AM
Hyphen anything American Chaps My azz
I was raised In the 60s Race riots and such .
This Country is truly Remarkable To Over come the Racism, From then to Now .
I never thot Id Live to see either a A colored elected Or a woman :O
Im Glad I lived to see History Made .

Collier11
11/5/2008, 12:48 AM

werd!!! You are American first, 95% of those who use those terms were not born in Africa, Ireland, Mexico..(well :) etc.

Dio
11/5/2008, 01:19 AM
Despite all of our differences, we have elected an African American man as the leader of our nation. I am particularly happy for my African American friends, for I know how much this means to them. For all of our problems, this Great Nation has come a long way, and on this night I am so very proud to be an American. God Bless.

I'm proud to be an American every night, even when my guy doesn't win. ;)

Maybe an Obama presidency won't totally suck, if it gets the far left to put down their "AmeriKKKa" Kool-Aid.

Scott D
11/5/2008, 01:35 AM
Im Glad I lived to see History Made .

that's just because everyone looked mostly the same in the 60s WBC (Way Before Christ) :P

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 02:17 AM
that's just because everyone looked mostly the same in the 60s WBC (Way Before Christ) :P

:P Backatcha ;)

85Sooner
11/5/2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah , Affirmative action and racism are now officially over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah , Affirmative action and racism are now officially over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have just ONE question.

95% of the "Black" vote went to Obama.

Isn't that racism?

My Opinion Matters
11/5/2008, 08:42 AM
I have just ONE question.

95% of the "Black" vote went to Obama.

Isn't that racism?

100% of white votes have gone to white candidates in every previous election. Is that racism?

SoonerJack
11/5/2008, 08:43 AM
Wow! Lots of good ones in here.

If they're going to crow about the first African-American president, let's not forget that technically, Obama is only half black.

Just sayin'.

walkoffsooner
11/5/2008, 08:44 AM
Affirmative action. Did he get a extra vote for being black running for a gov, job?

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2008, 08:44 AM
100% of white votes have gone to white candidates in every previous election. Is that racism?
It sure is.

Back atcha

swardboy
11/5/2008, 09:01 AM
There are many non-white potential candidates this cracker would vote for in a heartbeat: JC Watts, Michael Steele, Bobbie Jindal come to mind.

Apparently many whites felt the same way about BHO. Ideology baby. I just hope that somehow this puts Jesse Jackson's cottage industry out of business. But be prepared for the intra-racial wars to come.....

Sooner98
11/5/2008, 09:04 AM
If this were a black REPUBLICAN President-elect, I have no doubt that there would be the same swelling of pride in our country from all sides. ;)

oumartin
11/5/2008, 09:15 AM
Well I think its a sad day for what used to be a wonderful and Blessed country.

you people got the man you asked for. Congratulations on that

Fraggle145
11/5/2008, 09:28 AM
what used to be a wonderful and Blessed country.

I dont understand this... I have seen like 8 people post something to similar to this now. I mean really? seriously? you honestly think its all going in the tank as of today? I mean I didnt start hating bush till he really started f'ing it up. And even as hard as he tried we are still here and surprisingly not in as bad a shape as we could have been after him...

you people got the man you asked for. Congratulations on that

You people? What do you mean you people!? ;)

j/k and Thanks.

Oldnslo
11/5/2008, 10:26 AM
Wow! Lots of good ones in here.

If they're going to crow about the first African-American president, let's not forget that technically, Obama is only half black.

Just sayin'.

His grandmother was Dutch!

http://a7.vox.com/6a00c2251e13128e1d00e3989f6c2f0005-320pi

JohnnyMack
11/5/2008, 10:35 AM
I dont understand this... I have seen like 8 people post something to similar to this now. I mean really? seriously? you honestly think its all going in the tank as of today? I mean I didnt start hating bush till he really started f'ing it up. And even as hard as he tried we are still here and surprisingly not in as bad a shape as we could have been after him...

No no no, everything bad that has happened of late is because of the possibility that Obama would get elected. Doesn't have anything to do with Bush.

The sooner the GOP and the conservative movement get back to accountability the better off they'll be.

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2008, 10:49 AM
HAHA JM...nice

Because EVERYTHING bad that has happened in the last 8 years has been Bush's fault.

The donks have controlled the House and Senate for TWO years now...what exactly have they done with that power??

BTW...the donks now control just about everything...lets see how that works out for us.

TUSooner
11/5/2008, 10:53 AM
Well, that's a hopeful sentiment on racial politics, but we won't truly be a post-racial nation until Black people stop electing crooks (like Louisiana's own "Dollar" Bill Jefferson) just because they are black.

MojoRisen
11/5/2008, 11:01 AM
Not to mention DC and Detroit - reverse racism is alive and well in America and more so than the average white guy is racist to a average black guy...

I hope Obama is a good president, but if he does what I am afraid he will do it could get ugly for him and the USA...

I heard the middle class has gone from 250K to 250K per household - to biden saying 150K then Steve Smith said 120K...

Get ready for Taxes - I am afraid. This guy could be extremely radical/watch out..

JohnnyMack
11/5/2008, 11:06 AM
HAHA JM...nice

Because EVERYTHING bad that has happened in the last 8 years has been Bush's fault.

The donks have controlled the House and Senate for TWO years now...what exactly have they done with that power??

BTW...the donks now control just about everything...lets see how that works out for us.

No, that wasn't what I was trying to say, more that I think the people who are already trying to pin our current struggles on someone who isn't even in power is laughable, at best.

Stoop Dawg
11/5/2008, 11:19 AM
I agree that racism - in its various forms - isn't "dead". And I don't think it ever will be.

What is significant about this election is that a minority candidate was elected president. All of the minorities put together couldn't have accomplished that on their own. It required the "white majority" to get it done.

So, while racism is certainly not "dead", a majority of *people* (regardless of their race) are now willing to elect a black man as POTUS. Given this country's history, that's significant.

Also, not to undermine the significance of this election, but Obama is half "white" and was raised by "white" grandparents. That may have softened his minority status for many people.

Given the advancement of racial equality over the last 40 years, let's just hope that it continues on the same pace for the next 40 years. Maybe we'll see the end of Affirmative Action in my lifetime!

SoonerBorn68
11/5/2008, 11:29 AM
I dont understand this... I have seen like 8 people post something to similar to this now. I mean really? seriously? you honestly think its all going in the tank as of today?

Yes. The American people finally figured out they can vote themselves money. Ben Franklin's a prophet.

It has nothing to do with race & everything to do with greed & class warfare.

Scott D
11/5/2008, 11:32 AM
Yes. The American people finally figured out they can vote themselves money. Ben Franklin's a prophet.

It has nothing to do with race & everything to do with greed & class warfare.

greed and class warfare have been the bedrock foundation of this country since the mid 1700s.

Stoop Dawg
11/5/2008, 11:40 AM
greed and class warfare have been the bedrock foundation of this planet since the beginning of time

Fixed.

Scott D
11/5/2008, 11:45 AM
true enough Stoop Dawg, true enough.

My Opinion Matters
11/5/2008, 12:17 PM

tha'ts bull**** & it's weak.

Actually it's neither. If you're suggesting that any white person has voted for any legitimate two-party candidate in presidential election before 2008 that wasn't white, you're ignorant.

And why you couldn't post this in the thread, instead of cowardly negging?

Stoop Dawg
11/5/2008, 12:28 PM
MOM, for your analogy to hold any water both candidates would have to have been black in this election. This is the first time that it was even possible to have chosen a candidate based purely on the candidate's race, so this is the first time that charges of racism could be made. Personally, I don't think it made that big of a difference either way.

My Opinion Matters
11/5/2008, 12:29 PM
MOM, for your analogy to hold any water both candidates would have to have been black in this election. This is the first time that it was even possible to have chosen a candidate based purely on the candidate's race, so this is the first time that charges of racism could be made. Personally, I don't think it made that big of a difference either way.

I wasn't making an analogy. I was illustrating the absurdity of the original statement.

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2008, 12:41 PM
And this is where I completely disagree. Obama got 95% of the black vote and 69% of the latino vote. I think it is fair to say that there is racism involved in some of those votes...AND on the same not, I am sure that there are whites out there who didn't vote for him BECAUSE he is black.

To suggest that race did not factor in is ignorant or naive.

My Opinion Matters
11/5/2008, 12:48 PM
And this is where I completely disagree. Obama got 95% of the black vote and 69% of the latino vote. I think it is fair to say that there is racism involved in some of those votes...AND on the same not, I am sure that there are whites out there who didn't vote for him BECAUSE he is black.

I'd propose that Obama's politics were a much bigger factor than his race. Do you really think he would have perfomed so well in these voting sectors where he a Republican? It's no big secret that blacks have always voted heavily for the D.

Sooner in Tampa
11/5/2008, 12:54 PM
I'd propose that Obama's politics were a much bigger factor than his race. Do you really think he would have perfomed so well in these voting sectors where he a Republican? It's no big secret that blacks have always voted heavily for the D.
It is true that blacks vote donk.

But I would venture a VERY LARGE BET that IF he were black AND Republican...he would NOT have gotten 95% of the vote, BUT he would have gotten a MAJORITY of the black vote.

Stoop Dawg
11/5/2008, 12:59 PM

Of course.

For the record, I made no such suggestion.

I suggest that the number of people who voted FOR Obama for no other reason than he is black is probably about the same as the number of people who voted AGAINST Obama for no other reason than he was black - so it was a wash.

SoonerJack
11/5/2008, 01:35 PM
greed and class warfare have been the bedrock foundation of this country since the mid 1700s.

Fixed.

Let's hear it for greed and class warfare!! woohoo

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/5/2008, 02:21 PM

What percentage of white voters in our lovely state of Oklahoma voted for McCain's Policy or was it perhaps the color of his skin? There is idiots that get to vote...that is just the way it is. I am almost positive more white people voted for the white guy than black people voting for the black guy. It was the % of blacks, whites, asians, latinos, and other that looked at actual content of message that decided this election...

SoonerBorn68
11/5/2008, 02:27 PM
Actually it's neither. If you're suggesting that any white person has voted for any legitimate two-party candidate in presidential election before 2008 that wasn't white, you're ignorant.

And why you couldn't post this in the thread, instead of cowardly negging?

I negged you because the post you made was baiting. Of course nobody's voted for a black person for president before but your post alluded that white people only vote for white people. Oh, the next eight years are going to be fun. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I also negged you because I don't like you.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/5/2008, 02:59 PM
If I negged everyone I didn't like...I would be here late into the night ;)

My Opinion Matters
11/5/2008, 03:21 PM
your post alluded that white people only vote for white people.

Uh, no, in no way was I alluding to that. Obama's victory would have been impossible without a substanital number of white voters.

Oh, the next eight years are going to be fun. :rolleyes:

Already accepting defeat in 2012? That's nice.

Oh, and I also negged you because I don't like you.

Grow up.

StoopTroup
11/5/2008, 05:58 PM
Well, you can't say the man is keeping you down anymore. ;)

At least half of him anyway....lol

StoopTroup
11/5/2008, 06:06 PM
Of course nobody's voted for a black person for president before

I jumped in and maybe I'm catching this out of context but didn't....

http://www.4president.org/jessejackson1984brochure.gif

I know I didn't vote Democratic back then either...but your post confused me.

Did you mean in the General Election? Because Jesse was the 2nd African American to run...Shirley Chisholm was the 1st.

jkjsooner
11/5/2008, 08:53 PM
Why is it big for them? Color should not be an issue right?

You're kidding, right? This isn't a serious post is it? Whoever said everything must be completely color blind?

After over 200 years of leaders they couldn't identify with, you honestly expect them to totally ignore race when they finally had a choice to pick someone who can be a role model for them?

Voting is a very personal choice and you are free to choose it however you like. It is not at all the same as an employer choosing an employee or a owner choosing a tenant. Voting for someone because you identify with them is not racism any more than picking a wife who has your same racial background (if that's your thing) is racism.

Voting for someone because of their religious beliefs does not make you a religious biggot. Not hiring someone because of that same reason does - unless of course you're hiring for a church or something.

I'm free to vote for whoever I can identify with. I'm free to attend strip clubs with strippers who I find attractive no matter how I define attractiveness. None of these would make me or anyone else a racist.

Disclaimer: I am white. I voted for Obama and I find Beyonce hawt! These are, however, personal decisions and I hold no criticism for those who arrive at different ones.

Collier11
11/5/2008, 09:27 PM
You're kidding, right? This isn't a serious post is it? Whoever said everything must be completely color blind?

After over 200 years of leaders they couldn't identify with, you honestly expect them to totally ignore race when they finally had a choice to pick someone who can be a role model for them?

Voting is a very personal choice and you are free to choose it however you like. It is not at all the same as an employer choosing an employee or a owner choosing a tenant. Voting for someone because you identify with them is not racism any more than picking a wife who has your same racial background (if that's your thing) is racism.

Voting for someone because of their religious beliefs does not make you a religious biggot. Not hiring someone because of that same reason does - unless of course you're hiring for a church or something.

I'm free to vote for whoever I can identify with. I'm free to attend strip clubs with strippers who I find attractive no matter how I define attractiveness. None of these would make me or anyone else a racist.

Disclaimer: I am white. I voted for Obama and I find Beyonce hawt! These are, however, personal decisions and I hold no criticism for those who arrive at different ones.

Why do you hate Whitey?! :confused: :D

JohnnyMack
11/5/2008, 10:40 PM
88% of blacks voted for Kerry in 2004. So the percentage increase we saw between he and Obama isn't really shocking.

Curly Bill
11/5/2008, 10:47 PM
88% of blacks voted for Kerry in 2004. So the percentage increase we saw between he and Obama isn't really shocking.

From 88% it couldn't really go much higher could it?

Sooner_Havok
11/5/2008, 10:49 PM

Well, I ain't to good at math, but I think it could go up as much as 12 percentage points :D

JohnnyMack
11/5/2008, 10:49 PM

Didn't it go up to 94? That's not even a 10% increase.

Curly Bill
11/5/2008, 10:54 PM
Didn't it go up to 94? That's not even a 10% increase.

I know, blacks were already voting donk at near the ceiling. I'm sure this time it will work out well for them though.

olevetonahill
11/5/2008, 10:58 PM
Wheres Ma Cheese ?

Scott D
11/6/2008, 11:31 AM
See, it amuses me that I was in a 12% minority in 2004 and a 6% minority in 2008. :)

stoopified
11/6/2008, 02:48 PM
Im Glad I lived to see History Made .As a Jewish-Irish- American I resent your attitude.I should be able to celebarte my heritage.Just look for the house flying,the Stars and Stripes,the Star of David and the flag of the zFree Irish Republic. :)

OklahomaRed
11/6/2008, 03:19 PM
I will admit that I did not read all three pages; however, I read a lot of the posts to get the general drift of this thread.

Two points.

What is a black man who votes for a black candidate without any regard to their stance on standard issues such as the economy, national security, abortion, education, and individual liberty? Are they racists? Would I be considered a racist if I voted for a candidate because he is white?

One positive thing I hope comes out of a 1/2 black man being elected president. Perhaps we can put job quotas, preferential scholarships, black entertainment TV, Miss Black America, the Black Political Caucaus, the NAACP and other such racial programs behind us?

I for one am all in for race not even being part of a job application, a sholarship application, or any other selection criteria is this country that says it is the great melting pot, yet caucasians, particularly male caucasians already have one strike against them before they ever get to the plate. If you are from rural America you have even one more strike against you because the liberal media from comics to the news paint you as a redneck hillbilly that isn't intelligent enough to take care of himself.

Just my opinion. I'm tired of being the bad guy just because I'm white, I'm male, and I'm from a red state rural area. I'm through apologizing for something that happened 144 years ago. Let's all get on with our lives and quit playing the RACE card in EVERYTHING.

In this life you are either a giver or a taker. Which one are you?

85Sooner
11/6/2008, 03:31 PM
I will admit that I did not read all three pages; however, I read a lot of the posts to get the general drift of this thread.

Two points.

What is a black man who votes for a black candidate without any regard to their stance on standard issues such as the economy, national security, abortion, education, and individual liberty? Are they racists? Would I be considered a racist if I voted for a candidate because he is white?

One positive thing I hope comes out of a 1/2 black man being elected president. Perhaps we can put job quotas, preferential scholarships, black entertainment TV, Miss Black America, the Black Political Caucaus, the NAACP and other such racial programs behind us?

I for one am all in for race not even being part of a job application, a sholarship application, or any other selection criteria is this country that says it is the great melting pot, yet caucasians, particularly male caucasians already have one strike against them before they ever get to the plate. If you are from rural America you have even one more strike against you because the liberal media from comics to the news paint you as a redneck hillbilly that isn't intelligent enough to take care of himself.

Just my opinion. I'm tired of being the bad guy just because I'm white, I'm male, and I'm from a red state rural area. I through apologizing for something that happened 144 years ago. Let's all get on with our lives and quit playing the RACE card in EVERYTHING.

Thats right. Affirmative action and racism are offically D E A D. so i don't ever want to hear anything regarding the race card in the future. Thank you for this PSA. Jesse .............Al............might want to checl out Monster jobs ;0)

Tulsa_Fireman
11/6/2008, 03:37 PM
I voted for Papa Jim Inhofe because he's not a whiny bitch like Andrew Rice. I mean, c'mon. He rides a frickin' horse in the Tulsa Christmas Parade and looks like a total bad *** doing it. That's some old school, LBJ stuff right there.

Does that make me a whinybitch-ist?

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/6/2008, 04:08 PM
Why yes it does ;)

JohnnyMack
11/6/2008, 04:11 PM

Dean's a catcher.

OklahomaRed
11/6/2008, 10:45 PM
Sorry for venting.

One more point. I was watching ESPN today and a couple of black commentators were griping about not having enough black coaches in NCAA Division I.

This statement actually came out of their mouths. "Only 7% of the NCAA Division I coaches are black, yet over 50% of the players are black. We need more black coaches interviewed and hired. This is a travisty."

I set there and thought, "Now, how come (let's just use a high percent that I know is actually a little over the true national % of blacks in America) if 20% of the nation is black, that would make the other 80% either white, Asian, or Native American. Why isn't there equal representation in our NCAA athletes?"

Of course the liberal response back to that would be, "Well, that's a dumb statement because blacks are much better athletes than whites."

Now, how can a statement like that be made, yet it's not okay to say maybe the 93% of the coaches that are not black might have simply been the right person for the job when the decision was made? I guess if you had to have been an athlete to be a good coach then Mike Leach needs to resign cause he doesn't have what it takes.

I just don't understand how in one breath an individual can say we need quotas cause the black man can't get a break, yet in the same breath we are okay with the best athlete being given a scholarship because they are more qualified? :confused:

I honestly believe that EVERY NCAA D-I school out there would hire a guy (or gal) with one leg, three eyes, leprosy, and half his face purple and the other half green if they KNEW he/she would win 100% of the games they coached in.

ONE MORE TIME - QUIT PLAYING THE RACE CARD EVERY TIME YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU WANT !! :D

Curly Bill
11/6/2008, 10:49 PM
Sorry for venting.

One more point. I was watching ESPN today and a couple of black commentators were griping about not having enough black coaches in NCAA Division I.

This statement actually came out of their mouths. "Only 7% of the NCAA Division I coaches are black, yet over 50% of the players are black. We need more black coaches interviewed and hired. This is a travisty."

I set there and thought, "Now, how come (let's just use a high percent that I know is actually a little over the true national % of blacks in America) if 20% of the nation is black, that would make the other 80% either white, Asian, or Native American. Why isn't there equal representation in our NCAA athletes?"

Of course the liberal response back to that would be, "Well, that's a dumb statement because blacks are much better athletes than whites."

Now, how can a statement like that be made, yet it's not okay to say maybe the 93% of the coaches that are not black might have simply been the right person for the job when the decision was made? I guess if you had to have been an athlete to be a good coach then Mike Leach needs to resign cause he doesn't have what it takes.

I just don't understand how in one breath an individual can say we need quotas cause the black man can't get a break, yet in the same breath we are okay with the best athlete being given a scholarship because they are more qualified? :confused:

We needs some athletic quotas cause Whitey can't run or jump. ;) :P :D

...but seriously you're right, that stuff pisses me off too.

OklahomaRed
11/6/2008, 10:53 PM
We needs some athletic quotas cause Whitey can't run or jump. ;) :P :D

...but seriously you're right, that stuff pisses me off too.

Here, here! :D My son sure could have used a nice full ride to O.U. That would have been sweet! :)

C&CDean
11/7/2008, 11:00 AM
Dean's a catcher.

When your messiah comes to take half my land, half my hay, half my tractors, half my cattle, and half my penis I'm gonna make sure it don't go to you boy.

sooner_born_1960
11/7/2008, 11:04 AM
Excellent post, OklahomaRed.

JohnnyMack
11/7/2008, 11:11 AM
When your messiah comes to take half my land, half my hay, half my tractors, half my cattle, and half my penis I'm gonna make sure it don't go to you boy.

Whatever you say Carlton Fisk.