PDA

View Full Version : anyone else concerned that...

adoniijahsooner
11/4/2008, 04:08 PM
Kevin Wilson may get offered a job somewhere? stoops head coaching tree only has one defensive coach get a head coaching gig; the rest are oc's. If we lose KW that may be more devastating than losing Sam.

The Maestro
11/4/2008, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with that Heupel guy. In fact, I hope he is our next OC and then head coach in about ten years or so. That is my plan and I approve this message!

oumartin
11/4/2008, 04:19 PM
yeah, if KW gets a job so be it..

Bob will find another.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2008, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with that Heupel guy. In fact, I hope he is our next OC and then head coach in about ten years or so. That is my plan and I approve this message!
Some people say Gundy needs to get the nod before Heupel.. he's paid his dues.
:(

Boomer38Sooner
11/4/2008, 04:27 PM

I've never thought of that but he seems like he would be a great head coach in the future. I like having defensively minded head coaches though

Collier11
11/4/2008, 04:33 PM
Some people say Gundy needs to get the nod before Heupel.. he's paid his dues.
:(

Paying your dues does not mean you are more qualified to be an OC for a Top 10 team in American

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2008, 04:37 PM
Paying your dues does not mean you are more qualified to be an OC for a Top 10 team in American

Ok, let me rephrase,

Some people have a hunch that Bob thinks he has a duty to Cale Gundy... of course he doesn't. Heupel is a much better fit. He was born to be an OC/ HC. Gundy is doing great things as the RB coach.

The Maestro
11/4/2008, 04:42 PM
I like having defensively minded head coaches though

Have you seen our stats lately? ;)

OUHOMER
11/4/2008, 04:43 PM
Ok, let me rephrase,

Some people have a hunch that Bob thinks he has a duty to Cale Gundy... of course he doesn't. Heupel is a much better fit. He was born to be an OC/ HC. Gundy is doing great things as the RB coach.

UMm, I guess our running game this year shows just how good he is:(

11/4/2008, 04:43 PM
In Bob we trust. I don't think paying dues will enter into the equation. He's done a good job hiring so far.

colleyvillesooner
11/4/2008, 05:11 PM
UMm, I guess our running game this year shows just how good he is:(

We're 3rd in the conference and 35th in the Nation. Our only two bad games were against the #1 and #4 Rush defenses in the nation. Take out those 2 games and were Top 15.

It's not like we're in the bottom half of D-1. We have the #3 Passing offense. That pretty much eliminates any chance of getting in a rhythm.

KaleoHolley
11/4/2008, 05:34 PM
I think we are in a win win situation with who ever takes the job after Kevin Wilson. Both come from football backgrounds, both are tireless workers, and both love the University of Oklahoma.

swardboy
11/4/2008, 05:37 PM
Both Heupel and Gundy have profited under the tutelage of Stoops, Wilson, and fwiw Long. I'll bet either one is faunching at the bit to take that playbook and run/pass with it. In the final analysis Josh is of coaching lineage (Stoops can relate) who took OU to the crystal with the more dynamic passing attack.

Eh, I'll trust Bob...in a great way.

UTsucks
11/4/2008, 08:06 PM
Kevin Wilson may get offered a job somewhere? stoops head coaching tree only has one defensive coach get a head coaching gig; the rest are oc's. If we lose KW that may be more devastating than losing Sam.

Nope

AllAboutThe'O'
11/4/2008, 08:20 PM
I can't see KW leaving after this year. Next year, though, he might be the hot assistant looking to become a HC.

hink4769
11/4/2008, 08:38 PM
That's just the nature of a program that wins year in and year out. You lose coaches. Hopefully Bob hires (or promotes) a guy that can get the job done, if KW leaves.

bluedogok
11/4/2008, 09:36 PM
I've never thought of that but he seems like he would be a great head coach in the future. I like having defensively minded head coaches though
What about Switzer? He was the O.C. at the time that Fairbanks left.

RacerX
11/4/2008, 11:17 PM
Cale shouldn't even be on the staff anymore.

nativesooner
11/5/2008, 12:41 AM
Why would Wilson get a HC job? According to some of the posters here he stinks! Cale said he has no interest in being a head coach at OU or anywhere. He said there's way too much b.s. involved.

adoniijahsooner
11/5/2008, 12:58 AM
Why would Wilson get a HC job? According to some of the posters here he stinks! Cale said he has no interest in being a head coach at OU or anywhere. He said there's way too much b.s. involved.

who said that foolishness?

hgarmorer
11/5/2008, 07:44 AM
I paid my dues... of course it was to to booster club, for going away gifts and the snack bar. I WANT A COACHING JOB!!!!

stoopified
11/5/2008, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty comfortable with that Heupel guy. In fact, I hope he is our next OC and then head coach in about ten years or so. That is my plan and I approve this message! ya got my vote om item#! and #2.

RedstickSooner
11/5/2008, 01:52 PM
Heupel rocks. But I'm not sure I like the notion of assuming he's gonna be an awesome OC -- frankly, I don't know how we could know that. I mean, other than the one year that he ran the offense by himself back in 2000 :)

Still, I don't like to be so quick to accept KW leaving. He's been a great OC (and, yeah, it's weird that he gets dogged on the boards sometimes) and I've been very pleased with the fact that Stoops found him, put him on staff, and held onto him until he could unload, er, tearfully allow Chuck Long to take a head coaching gig, and put Wilson in charge.

I don't know that there are a ton of OCs as good as Wilson out there, or that we'd be sure to find one if we hired another guy. And with how loyal Stoops is to coaches, if we got one who was decent, but not quite great, we'd be stuck with him for a long, long time.

So, really, I'd rather we hang onto KW. Yeah, Heupel might be great, but a proven great OC beats a potentially great OC any day.